• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

GameDaily said:
You just wander around talking to people, and when you encounter bad guys, simply mash buttons to defeat them. The game's big draw comes from capturing monsters' ids (souls) by locking on and then physically jerking the SIXAXIS controller with the option to map up to four on the controller's face buttons (press Triangle to use one, Circle to use another and so on). But that got old fast when we realized most of the attacks operate the same way.

I've only played the demo, but that's more than enough to know this is simply not true.

BobJustBob said:
I've only played the demo, but that's more than enough to know this is simply not true.

GameDaily is....I...uh....

GameDaily, I am all for critical remarks and negative points but I mean, what game were they playing.

lorddct said:
So would you guys recommend getting the asian version over the english version?
The Asian version is ~$45 + tax & import costs in some areas. The US version will come out to about $40 if you can get in on the TRU sale.

etiolate

Banned
dear lord Gamedaily

Fans of off the wall Japanese RPGs (AKA masochists) will embrace this game for what it is. We, on the other hand, need something a bit livelier and more mature.

The comic book cut scenes annoy us even more. Instead of creating more full motion video, Sony elected a more "stylish" approach in which scenes play out through semi-animated storyboards that don't fit well. You can't give us a gorgeous intro with voice acting and all these special effects and then expect us to read something.

We, on the other hand, can't stand Folklore and want to body slam Sony for ruining what could have been one of the PlayStation 3's best games.

rolleyes

I'm sure the gameplay and levels could be utter unexciting trite, as that seems to be a repeated criticism, but jumping jesus on a pogostick, those comments are pathetic.

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
GameDaily is....I...uh....

GameDaily, I am all for critical remarks and negative points but I mean, what game were they playing.

I was wondering the same thing :lol The games almost out :D

Mesijs

I can understand why people give this a 4 or a 9, but both ratings aren't justified in my opinion.

The creativity is cool, the combat could be great, but the gameplay design is overly flawed.

So a 6 or 7 would be fair. Not higher for sure in my opinion.

golem

1503054934_eaa16fd946.jpg

perfect time for a blue dragon break...

RaidenZR

That GameDaily review was one of the most uninformative reviews I've ever read. It didn't even sound remotely like the demo I played. What gives?

Tideas

Banned
RaidenZR said:
That GameDaily review was one of the most uninformative reviews I've ever read. It didn't even sound remotely like the demo I played. What gives?

maybe because their OPINION is that it sucks?

u_neek

Okay guys, so I'm getting the new Euro 40 GB PS3 when it's released on Wednesday but I'm not sure whether to get this or Heavenly Sword. Help me!

u_neek said:
Okay guys, so I'm getting the new Euro 40 GB PS3 when it's released on Wednesday but I'm not sure whether to get this or Heavenly Sword. Help me!

if u want a longer adventure Folklore is the game to choose (about 15h x each character).

HS lasts about 7-8 hours, so u could decide to rent this.

I just preordered Folklore, can't wait for the 12 october..

spwolf

Mesijs said:
I can understand why people give this a 4 or a 9, but both ratings aren't justified in my opinion.

The creativity is cool, the combat could be great, but the gameplay design is overly flawed.

So a 6 or 7 would be fair. Not higher for sure in my opinion.

well you are smart and everyone trusts your reviews...

I'm still undecided about getting this. I just played some of the demo and it was pretty fun except for some of the sixaxis things. I didn't like the one where you had to beat the guy against the ground going left and right, it wouldn't always respond fully going to the right for me, sometimes he would stop halfway or so going to the right. Is there any more captures that have motions like this? And am I the only one who had trouble with the sixaxis controls I described? I only got to the 4th room or so, so I'm just wondering if it's just me or if the sixaxis controls do get annoying. I'll probably try it again later when I have time to check it out more, but other than the sixaxis controls it seems like a lot of fun.

BD's cover is as basic as they come, but that wasn't what was being said above.

From the little bit that we get to play I think the motion controls were implemented pretty well. The only issue I had was playing with Keats and facing off against that one specific mini-boss of his. That was the one with the color & timing mechanic. I couldn't tell if my timing was off or if it was supposed to be putting up that much of a fight to preserve its id. In reality it probably only lasted for about 10-15 seconds, but I never had a satisfying feeling that I was fully in control. Again, it was only that one instance. Rumble would definitely be welcome in this case. A sublte hum for when you first begin the process building up to a tremor when you are close to capturing the id would be a helpful added touch.

golem

kinda fun so far. i wish the cutscenes had full voiceover... sorta jarring going from fully acted CG to a comic book scene with nothing. come on, bluray and all that.

·feist· said:
BD's cover is as basic as they come, but that wasn't what was being said above.

From the little bit that we get to play I think the motion controls were implemented pretty well. The only issue I had was playing with Keats and facing off against that one specific mini-boss of his. That was the one with the color & timing mechanic. I couldn't tell if my timing was off or if it was supposed to be putting up that much of a fight to preserve its id. In reality it probably only lasted for about 10-15 seconds, but I never had a satisfying feeling that I was fully in control. Again, it was only that one instance. Rumble would definitely be welcome in this case. A sublte hum for when you first begin the process building up to a tremor when you are close to capturing the id would be a helpful added touch.

Well Ive beaten the game, four times now, and I do agree with you to an extent. The fact of the matter is even though it would have been a nice addition, it isnt something that should be missed to the point of negative impact.

Pazuzu

Banned
golem said:
kinda fun so far. i wish the cutscenes had full voiceover... sorta jarring going from fully acted CG to a comic book scene with nothing. come on, bluray and all that.
I don't mind actually. Kinda of a nice change of pace I think, having both.

Picked this up yesterday (Asian version) having a great time with it. More linear than I hoped, but it turns out it doesn't rally matter to me. Less so than FFX, anyway. ;) Game is beautiful, combat is fun and feels well thought out, collecting creatures and looking for ways to release their Karma is pretty cool, and the story is getting more engaging as it moves along (in Chapter 3 with both Characters right now, though I may stick with Keats for awhile, then go back.)

Haven't tried the online or customizable dungeon stuff, but could be a nice addition.

Sysgen

Played the demo again tonight and decided to make this my 1st PS3 store purchase (Stardust being my actual 1st). The sixaxis thing works great. I love the character designs and the art. I dig the comic book style scenes and the story has a mystery to boot.

Nemesis_

I've just finished the prologue as both Ellen and Keats, but I am wondering: -

1.) It says that the "Each storyline will be impacted by decisions made by the other." Is it INSANE OMFG CHANGES or minor changes? Are there any (spoiler free) examples?
2.) Do I play a mission as Ellen, a mission as keats and so forth? Or do I just finish the game as, say, Keats and then play as Ellen?
3.) When I finish an Ellen mission I already have finished with Keats, do I save them in the same file?

Lastly, are the missions eventually going to get more "different"? What I mean is, will I be moving through each level two times playing as two different characters? Or do the levels kinda of "branch off" and make two more "different" storylines?

Pazuzu

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I've just finished the prologue as both Ellen and Keats, but I am wondering: -

1.) It says that the "Each storyline will be impacted by decisions made by the other." Is it INSANE OMFG CHANGES or minor changes? Are there any (spoiler free) examples?
2.) Do I play a mission as Ellen, a mission as keats and so forth? Or do I just finish the game as, say, Keats and then play as Ellen?
3.) When I finish an Ellen mission I already have finished with Keats, do I save them in the same file?

Lastly, are the missions eventually going to get more "different"? What I mean is, will I be moving through each level two times playing as two different characters? Or do the levels kinda of "branch off" and make two more "different" storylines?

Well, I'm only on Chapter 3 for each person, but let me answer as much as I can:

1.) No idea. Can't tell yet. There haven't been any "decisions" to make. But you won't understand whole story from each Chapter unless you beat it with both people.
Like Chapter 1, with Ellen you find out what happened to the Girl's mother, and with Keats, her Father. But I don't know if this is important in the whole arc of the game yet. I hope so.
2.) Each break in the Chapter, you choose which character to play. Say I play Ellen until Chapter 2, Keats will still be on prologue. so you can progress them at the same time, or take one all the way, then the other. Like I said before I'm on Chapter 3 with both characters, but will probably take Keats a few more in before returning to Ellen.
Because even though the cutscenes and story is different for each character, you go through the same environments and fight the same main bosses. (Though sub-bosses, & the individual folks and the powers they give you are different for each character).
3.) Yes. (as explained above)

The only major questions for me in this regard is if the ending is different if you've finished it with both characters, or just different endings for each character. The way they let you progress the story of both together is really neat, and I hope it leads to some...thing.

Also, there is a quest system in the pub I haven't been able to delve to deep into yet, are some of these Chapter sensitive? Optional?

Nemesis_

Ahhh right.

Anyhoo, I'm in the Faery Land or something, and I've noticed that apparently I've seen a Folk called "Bug-A-Boo" but haven't captured him. I've searched the whole level and realised I can't find him anywhere - where can I capture him>

Nemesis556 said:
Ahhh right.

Anyhoo, I'm in the Faery Land or something, and I've noticed that apparently I've seen a Folk called "Bug-A-Boo" but haven't captured him. I've searched the whole level and realised I can't find him anywhere - where can I capture him>

Bug-A-Boo is teh win. Expect more reviews coming in; 1up etc.

Just to make sure I am reading this right, the "correct" way to play the game is play a level as Ellen, then the same level as Keats and keep switching off like that till the end?

UnholySpectacle said:
Just to make sure I am reading this right, the "correct" way to play the game is play a level as Ellen, then the same level as Keats and keep switching off like that till the end?

Essentially yes.

methane47

Sysgen said:
Played the demo again tonight and decided to make this my 1st PS3 store purchase (Stardust being my actual 1st). The sixaxis thing works great. I love the character designs and the art. I dig the comic book style scenes and the story has a mystery to boot.

lol i'm pretty sure you can't buy this on the PS store... You need to get this brick and mortar

Pazuzu said:
The only major questions for me in this regard is if the ending is different if you've finished it with both characters, or just different endings for each character. The way they let you progress the story of both together is really neat, and I hope it leads to some...thing.

Also, there is a quest system in the pub I haven't been able to delve to deep into yet, are some of these Chapter sensitive? Optional?

1. Without spoiling anything, the ending is....THE ending. One. But to reach the end you have to (essentially) play as both characters.

2. Some quests are chapter specific and some...well aren't.

Mesijs

Played some more, finished the first two worlds and am at the boss of the third.

Still have mixed feelings about it. I love all the different folks and how you can all use them. I love the design of them and the design of the world, and the unique look of everything.

But I hate the thousand corridors with loading screen, the comic cutscenes without voice-acting, the camera and targeting issues.

So, still mixed. I like playing Ratchet & Clank more actually. :p

linsivvi

I'm still on the fence with this one. Don't mind giving this one a try since I've nearly finished Bladestorm, but there are just too many games coming up in October.

I want to make Folklore a day one purchase but then I think of how many other games there are coming out now or in the near future and it's becoming harder to rationalise getting this over something like Ratchet & Clank, Kane & Lynch (after reading this preview for the muliplayer), Contra 4, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions or Castlevania: Dracula X.

I loved the demo for Folklore but I think it's a purchase I'm going to have to put off for now.

Top Bottom