• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

Sin said:
Just got the EU retail version, disappointed that the booklet is in black & white. ; ;

Black and white book? Thats a shame! The NA version is indeed in color. And for those wondering; yes, it is best to play Ellen and Keats one chapter at a time. It will make the ending a tad more clear and you'll get the most out of the story.

tanod

when is my burrito
methane47 said:
I really want to read the review.. but I'm worried that it will say that it lost points because it didn't have a needler or something

1UP scores on a scale of 1 to 10. Everybody else scores on a scale of 6-10.

Take the difference between the 1UP score and 10, half it and add that number to their score and that's generally what it'll get elsewhere. Rarely fails.

I really like their rating scale though.

tanod said:

Take the difference between the 1UP score and 10, half it and add that number to their score and that's generally what it'll get elsewhere. Rarely fails.

::nod::

tehbear

tanod said:

You forget other sites needs to occasionally drop a 3 or 4 on a really horrible game for street cred purposes. Hell folklore was Gamedaily's street cred fodder.

tanod

when is my burrito
tehbear said:
You forget other sites needs to occasionally drop a 3 or 4 on a really horrible game for street cred purposes. Hell folklore was Gamedaily's street cred fodder.

Just makes their rating systems all the more worthless. The question is that at other sites, is there any discernible difference between a 5 and a 2? The answer is no and that's why other sites' scales fail.

Holy crap I just finished Ellen's first chapter. First I'd like to say that the way the game gives you hints is freakin' brilliant. Collecting pages from the book and looking at the drawings is really awesome and is almost a game unto itself. Plus the drawings look great and adds to the storybook-ish feel Folklore exudes.

Secondly, the boss fight itself was really cool. I was hoping that you'd have to mix up your folk usage for bosses and it looks like I'll have my wish in spades. The way it plays out is not unlike a Zelda game, where you have to use multiple folks to take down a first form then use another folk to take down another form. Great stuff.

Folklore is still continuing to impress me presentation wise. The sound is the biggest surprise since the sound effects are much better than I initially thought. The soundtrack itself is getting better and better with the Doolin daytime theme being the best piece so far.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about from GAF after all of the people who said they were buying it. I hope to hear more people's thoughts about it.

tehbear

Systems_id said:
Holy crap I just finished Ellen's first chapter. First I'd like to say that the way the game gives you hints is freakin' brilliant. Collecting pages from the book and looking at the drawings is really awesome and is almost a game unto itself. Plus the drawings look great and adds to the storybook-ish feel Folklore exudes.

Secondly, the boss fight itself was really cool. I was hoping that you'd have to mix up your folk usage for bosses and it looks like I'll have my wish in spades. The way it plays out is not unlike a Zelda game, where you have to use multiple folks to take down a first form then use another folk to take down another form. Great stuff.

Folklore is still continuing to impress me presentation wise. The sound is the biggest surprise since the sound effects are much better than I initially thought. The soundtrack itself is getting better and better with the Doolin daytime theme being the best piece so far.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about from GAF after all of the people who said they were buying it. I hope to hear more people's thoughts about it.

It's funny cause with Keats it's more traditional.
He just punches all of them, strategy art book pages be damned.

Soundtrack is just by far one of the best period. Kawai's pedigree shows here and I was reminded of it again watching Gundam 00, man he just has his hands in all the good things I like :lol I am wishing for some more variety in battle musics, but man it's hard to complain when everything else is so good.

I also like the small touches,
on the pathway to the faery leader where those butterfly flies out and you hear laughter... just put a big grin on my face.

Oh man I am glad for this shit, this nextgen shit still pisses me off to no end, but this is a nice diversion.

dfyb

Banned
these green gloopity globs in the third realm just get right back up! what gives! this game feels oldschool so i even tried to standard "get them all down at the same time" and still, nothing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Systems_id said:
Holy crap I just finished Ellen's first chapter. First I'd like to say that the way the game gives you hints is freakin' brilliant.

Glad someone else likes this hint system. I love it! And Uncharted seems to be doing something very similar to this.

dfyb

Banned
just finished the third folklore. that's probably the best rendition of the classic
segmented worm
boss i've seen. the first realm was underwhelming, probably due to me playing both demos -- but i'm really digging the game now. feels really nostalgic with the classic game mechanics, yet refreshing with the strategies the folks allow.

Holy fraking crap! I just got to Warcadia and...holy shit! First of all, the environment is just plain awesome. The folks that inhabit it are also awesome (Warthog? YES PLEASE) and completey changes how the game is being played. Whereas the Faery Realm had more of an "action" sort of feel, Warcadia's folks gives it more of a RTS feeling and it's really cool. I hope all of the other realms are just as diverse.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I really think IGN got this one right as far as reviews go. Unless the game goes completely in the crapper later on, this is a solid 9 game.

tehbear said:
I also like the small touches,
on the pathway to the faery leader where those butterfly flies out and you hear laughter... just put a big grin on my face.
Yeah that part was great. First step when I heard laughter I was like "what?! what was that?!".:lol

dfyb

Banned
i'm on chapter 4 as ellen. just played keats into chapter 1. i really like how the story is intertwined and each seem to have different roles. think i'm going to start alternating regularly between each character.

Systems_id said:
I can't believe I'm saying this but I really think IGN got this one right as far as reviews go. Unless the game goes completely in the crapper later on, this is a solid 9 game.

While there are objective elements to review because of immutable, factual components to a given game there is still a large degree of subjectivity to a reviewbased on how anindividual enjoys them. One critical source can't get it right or wrong, that's just fucking silly.

So far I've played through both prologues and I have to ask will Ellen and Keats pathes wildly deviate or will I continue to seethe exact same chain of events in the same area from a slightly different perspective?

I've always known that you'll revisit the same areas in Folklore but I was under the impression that you would od so at different times. If it's a parallel experience the entire way through then I think I'd rather play through the game as one character and then the other.

Folklore is a totally amazing game so far. I love the presentation, the music, the awesome use of color (it was actually the review in Play that tipped me to the buying point).

Folklore was always on my list of "must-haves", however I was afraid it would be my first "casualty" of the nutty fall gaming season. I passed on the game on Wednesday, but decided I needed to have it, and traded in my PS2 at GameStop ($50 woohoo!).

I want to say this right now to everyone on the edge about this one... BUY IT. You will not regret it. I want games like this to succeed. It is awesome in so many ways.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, I am only about an hour in and am loving it. The story has got me gripped. SUPERB PRESENTATION. I know it is very early on but this is just the game the market needs. There is nothing else quite like this on next gen hardware. I knew I made the right choice buying this. Bought it on impulse and no regrets so far. Game me that same feeling I had when I bought Persona 3, I can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

Trevelyan

Banned
Just wrapped up Warcadia for both Ellen and Keats, and this is by far my sleeper hit of the year, BY FAR. I am completely engrossed in the story and characters, and the boss battles have been exciting and pretty well done. So very pleased with this game.

Dante

Trevelyan said:
Just wrapped up Warcadia for both Ellen and Keats, and this is by far my sleeper hit of the year, BY FAR. I am completely engrossed in the story and characters, and the boss battles have been exciting and pretty well done. So very pleased with this game.

Same here, although I only beat Warcadia with Ellen, still gotts do Keats.

It's disheartening that more people haven't given this game a try I'm Loving it.

So, I thought I'd might ask my question.

I've played the JPN and the US versions of the demo, and I'm almost positive my SIXAXIS is busted: no matter what I do I can't seem to steal a soul...

Trevelyan

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

I've played the JPN and the US versions of the demo, and I'm almost positive my SIXAXIS is busted: no matter what I do I can't seem to steal a soul...
Definitely sounds like it is. I barely have to flick my controller up to capture the souls(although I always flail like a madman during boss fights, haha) - like I maybe move the controller up no more than 2 inches and it'll register for me. Sorry to hear =/

Trevelyan said:
Definitely sounds like it is. I barely have to flick my controller up to capture the souls(although I always flail like a madman during boss fights, haha) - like I maybe move the controller up no more than 2 inches and it'll register for me. Sorry to hear =/

The weird thing is that I was able to control Ratchet just fine during that freefall...

Dragona Akehi said:
The weird thing is that I was able to control Ratchet just fine during that freefall...

Maybe you're just doing it wrong then? I mean I honestly can't think of what else to say if your controller works fine with other games/demos.

This is the first "next gen" game I've played that I simply cannot wait to see on an HD tv, the overall aesthetic this game has going for it is simply stunning. I simply love how the devs were unafraid to use so much color when designing the world in this game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Got it from gamefly today

I'm glad to see the framerate was cleaned up a bit since the demo

Only through the prologe

dfyb

Banned
i think this game is the best "tack on" of motion controls on any console. i didn't think it really added anything to the zelda experience except for aiming projectiles. folklore for the most part plays like a traditional game, but the motion control mechanics are fun and actually add to the experience.

Dante

Dragona Akehi said:

Hrmm.... Yeah something is off, they are super easy in the retail version, I barely have to flick my wrist much, thus makeing it the most satisfying sixaxis out there :)

Oh and I <3 Ellen in her Fairy dress, she looks too cute :)

Dante said:
Hrmm.... Yeah something is off, they are super easy in the retail version, I barely have to flick my wrist much, thus makeing it the most satisfying sixaxis out there :)

Oh and I <3 Ellen in her Fairy dress, she looks too cute :)

Try the demo and tell me. :p

All I do is roll the controller up with my wrist... I've tried just about everything imaginable... do you guys do the motion slowly?

Lo-Volt

Dragona Akehi said:

All I do is roll the controller up with my wrist... I've tried just about everything imaginable... do you guys do the motion slowly?

I didn't, at least in the demo.

Dante

Dragona Akehi said:

Nah I pull it up fast. The demo seemed a bit more difficult, but not way more. are you sure you're holding the R1 trigger down right? :)

klee123

Hey guys, is it just me, but is Ellen a lot harder to use than Keats? Thanks to his super charged ability, it makes beating bosses a lot easier and I also reckon that Keats charges his MP points a lot quicker than Ellen. The only advantage I see with Ellen is her various cloaks which have their own attributes.

Also dfyb, I saw your dungeon up for download as well.

I've played the hell out of the demo and am currently working my way through the retail version and I've had the same results with sixaxis motion, works great. This is the first game I've liked the use of the sixaxis in.

dfyb

Banned
klee123 said:
Also dfyb, I saw your dungeon up for download as well.
oh yeah? :lol

i didn't have much unlocked at all (so there's barely anything in the level) -- was just testing the waters. so did you just happen to run into it? i didn't see a way to search for someone's -- just seems like a big pool of dungeons. wish there was a way to send it to someone specific or filter for friends' dungeons.

You can make your own dungeons in this game for others to download? Awesome!

I don't think I'll be alternating between playing Keats and Ellen chapters, after I finish up this mission with Keats I'll just pick one or the other and stick with them until the end of their respective arc. While the monster types and some of the puzzles are seemingly switched up you're still playing through the same level.

SaitoH

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not that dumb.

Well I guess it has to be a naff controller. Bleh.

It's definitely the controller. You don't have to be remotely accurate to yank the souls out. Just a light flick is all it takes.

WYWY

klee123 said:
Hey guys, is it just me, but is Ellen a lot harder to use than Keats? Thanks to his super charged ability,
Not just that. His folk selection is also easier to use. Ellen has more folks, but you need more thought on strategy. Except for bosses, she can have many viable strategies for any scenario. Keat's strategies are more straight-forward.

Raist

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Try with super rub a dub (demo still available I think). If you really don't manage to make the duck "jump", whatever you try, then your controller may be busted. Or the aerial combos trigger in HS.

It could still work well in Ratchet, because it's only using the pitch/yawn parts, not the "shake up" part IIRC.

jaundicejuice said:
While there are objective elements to review because of immutable, factual components to a given game there is still a large degree of subjectivity to a reviewbased on how anindividual enjoys them. One critical source can't get it right or wrong, that's just fucking silly.
Chill out man.:lol :lol

All I was saying is that in an ocean of terrible IGN reviews, it seems like they actually put some thought into this one and it happens to be the one that I'm agreeing with most.

klee123

WYWY said:
Not just that. His folk selection is also easier to use. Ellen has more folks, but you need more thought on strategy. Except for bosses, she can have many viable strategies for any scenario. Keat's strategies are more straight-forward.

I actually reckon it's more fun to play as Ellen now. She may be harder to use, but the way you use her is anything but conventional. I especially loved using the folks on the second world with the grunts who use firearms.

The game also starts getting progressively harder on the third world. The flying dragon too me around 5 minutes to figure out how to beat it.

I actually have an easier time playing through as Ellen than I do Keats, particularily on the boss fights...well, through the one boss fight I've played through thus far. Keats may be more direct but Ellen uses a bit more strategy.

I may actually alternate between the two despite what I posted earlier because even though you watch the same cutscenes and re-tread the same environments the differences in the enemies faced and what each discovered at the end of the level seems to make it worthwhile. Also it makes navigation a hell of a lot easier.

jaundicejuice said:
I actually have an easier time playing through as Ellen than I do Keats, particularily on the boss fights...well, through the one boss fight I've played through thus far. Keats may be more direct but Ellen uses a bit more strategy.

I may actually alternate between the two despite what I posted earlier because even though you watch the same cutscenes and re-tread the same environments the differences in the enemies faced and what each discovered at the end of the level seems to make it worthwhile. Also it makes navigation a hell of a lot easier.

Just wait until later in the game lol The balance between them comes eventually.

klee123

jaundicejuice said:

True that, you'd usually go through a level a lot quicker the second time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
More peoples need to buy this game. It is such a surprise. The story is great so far. Love the murder investigation aspects.

Top Bottom