• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Game Room thread of Rewinding Time

Rlan

It appears that the actual Game Room server isn't up yet. Going to the Leaderboards it says "Sorry, Game Room server currently not available". This seems to mean you can't buy anything yet or add coins to your collection, as the blades aren't coming up.

The hang at Loading is probably trying to connect to the server.

I'm a little confused as to how they're going to show all available titles and how they connect the player to the right "Game Pack" to actually play it, otherwise it'll just be a mess.

Rlan said:
It appears that the actual Game Room server isn't up yet. Going to the Leaderboards it says "Sorry, Game Room server currently not available". This seems to mean you can't buy anything yet or add coins to your collection, as the blades aren't coming up.

I'm a little confused as to how they're going to show all available titles and how they connect the player to the right "Game Pack" to actually play it, otherwise it'll just be a mess.
It does make you wonder if we would have to download a new game pack every week or two, and that is something the game should be doing itself via updates.

The pc version connects fine, but fuck me if i'm going to buy any of these old games :p will wait for some better ones to come along.

I tried using fraps to record some footage and it's all fine until you try to play a game, then the entire thing will crash.

Why does it need its own server?

To the people who have got it working, what are the vector games like? Do they have the glow/sparkle options like Mame has?

How does that PC version work if you don't have an avatar made? Does it give you a random one or is there avatar creation built into it?

EDIT: No longer a junior! WOOO!

Ricker

It boggles my mind when they do stuff like this....doesn`t anybody test these things before putting it up Live,jesus...anyway,it`s downloaded and all,just have to wait for E and his gang to wake up I guess hehe...

Gowans

Looking forward to checking this out, really curious about the interface. (doubt I'll get any launch stuff).

It's nice we get some extra coins for demo's.

Very curious about the Game Room Store too.

Hope they get the server up in a few hours for when I get home.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
DiscoJer said:
Probably a rights issue - it was from Stern. Which probably hasn't been in games for that long, if they are still in business...
Stern is still around, making pinball machines.

So, I don't think they could have launched this with a less interesting set of games. :\

Ricker said:
It boggles my mind when they do stuff like this....doesn`t anybody test these things before putting it up Live,jesus...anyway,it`s downloaded and all,just have to wait for E and his gang to wake up I guess hehe...

Well, every gamer always dreams that they can be a game tester when they grow up. Now that dream is a reality.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bryehn said:
So I downloaded everything fine but I can't seem to actually buy games.

Count yourself lucky to even be able to LOAD. It won't load past 25% on the 360 version to me.

Oh, well, back to the PS3 and DS for me.

DAMMIT

I haven't had this good a score in Centipede in over a decade!* But it doesn't matter cause I can't save it and/or upload it a leaderboard.

FUCK

*A paltry 38k but whatevs. Wish I had a trackball.

BTW Konami looks like they're putting nothing but C-grade stuff on this service. I hope they consider XEXEX C-grade.

Battlantis sucks though. Oh good Space Invaders but with Barbarians..Sure they mix it up with powerups and boss fights but who cares? It blows.

TheSeks said:
Count yourself lucky to even be able to LOAD. It won't load past 25% on the 360 version to me.

Oh, well, back to the PS3 and DS for me.

I am having this same exact problem. I deleted it and am reDLing it now.

Glad to see that a game killing bug made it past QA.
(If that is it)

A very excellent start I would say.

I was hoping to get my jungler fix before work. Alas, that will not be the case.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gen X said:
Yeah, I thought that was a bit gay not being able to stick some of your old games in like Double Dragon, TMNT, Robotron etc since I have a few. Would look great in my 80's themed room.

I'm not going to buy anything yet though, I'll wait and see how it comes along and when some more recent (Mid 80s onwards) games come out.

Come on 720degrees, APB, Soldier of Light.
No need to say gay.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Rlan said:

Yeah, sounds like basically the worst solution possible for this type of service.

Not that we should have expected anything better out of Krome.

The thing that's really bugging me is that while I play every now and then there's a hitch or a pause. It's not even a second but it's still very noticeable.

Annoying. Yeah maybe I'm not supposed to be playing these games at the moment but c'mon.

Yep.
I've just bought Shaolins Road and I like how it (game room) works.
Original and filtered versions, online rankings, and some challenges to unlock medals.

Does anybody know how can I enter at a friends room?

Lighting Gels said:
Yep.
I've just bought Shaolins Road and I like how it (game room) works.
Original and filtered versions, online rankings, and some challenges to unlock medals.

Does anybody know how can I enter at a friends room?

JReplying to myself, just selecting a friend, at friends option, and pressing x.
If someone wants to play Shaolins Road at my very own arcade :D just add me as a friend and enter, my GT is at my profile.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
dallow_bg said:
No need to say gay.

Words can have more than one meaning. Depends how you read into it.

Mucked (Can mean dirty as well) around quite a bit with the Game Room, played most of the trials and checked (can mean tick) out Red Baron on someones recommendation on the previous page. I'm a mid to late 30's gamer so I've seen a lot but I don't recall seeing that back in the day. Can appreciate it though and you can see it also formed the base for Star Wars released 3yrs later.

Like everyone else, can't purchase, not that I was going to but I did press X to check the marketplace while looking at the games. However, on the menu screen if I pressed X it did nothing, but if I actually held it down for about 5 seconds it loaded a sample arcade to look at.

Overall though it's not a bad interface, but it would've probably made a more positive impact with a few decent arcade classics. Looking at the achievements though, someones going to have to spend a bit of money to get those. :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gen X said:
Words can have more than one meaning. Depends how you read into it.

Mucked (Can mean dirty as well) around quite a bit with the Game Room, played most of the trials and checked (can mean tick) out Red Baron on someones recommendation on the previous page. I'm a mid to late 30's gamer so I've seen a lot but I don't recall seeing that back in the day. Can appreciate it though and you can see it also formed the base for Star Wars released 3yrs later.

Like everyone else, can't purchase, not that I was going to but I did press X to check the marketplace while looking at the games. However, on the menu screen if I pressed X it did nothing, but if I actually held it down for about 5 seconds it loaded a sample arcade to look at.

Overall though it's not a bad interface, but it would've probably made a more positive impact with a few decent arcade classics. Looking at the achievements though, someones going to have to spend a bit of money to get those. :lol
Gay has two uses, you didn't mean either.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
dallow_bg said:
No need to say gay.
663i7u9.jpg

Gowans

Just a question DRM question due to this pack setup.

I have two 360s, living room and gaming room.

If I buy a game on the living room 360 so I and any tag can play (my Girlfriend) then I can play under my tag online in my gaming room.

This works exactly the same in Game room right?

bryehn

Now that it's up and running it's pretty sweet, just spent 2 hours just demoing games. I need to pick 7 for a feature and its proving tough.

Shaolin Road or whatever is rad, a game I loved as a kid, but didn't remember till just now.

Tempest and Centipede suffer because of controls.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Plaguefox said:
At first, I thought, "I can't wait to try this out!"

After reading these impressions, I can wait to try this out.

Justification of using gay in a way that appears to be synonymous with stupid or awful (or pick your flavor; I'm assuming you didn't mean cheery, bright, pleasant, or homosexual) and then snarky examples of other words having more than one meaning? That's pretty startling; I never imagined someone who would use the word that way would justify it like that and be serious about it.

But then, I think dallow's concern is that it's bannable and s/he's just looking out for ya!
Yup. It's bannable, main reason I pointed it out.
And it just shouldn't be used that way.

hipgnosis

Seems like a great idea, but the prices are indeed a bit high for these games. Didn't spot anything particularly interesting among those release games. Hope this project gets support, nothing beats good old 2D arcade gaming.

jlevel13

Well, I got everything downloaded and tried out one game, seemed okay, but then when I went to try a second game all the games disappeared and I couldn't figure out how to get them to come back - tried restarting twice and everything - just a bunch of empty rooms. Then my 360 crashed.

The interface is already a little annoying too - I first wanted to try out Tempest, which I think was in one of the packs, but having to move through all the different rooms instead of just a list of games meant I spent thirty seconds looking for the game instead of playing a game (and I never found it anyway, before just trying out Centipede instead). I also couldn't find an option to go full screen - found it distracting to see a bunch of stupid looking friend avatars wandering around behind the game I was trying to play - I thought there was going to be an option to black the busy background out?

SuperPac

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Here I was looking forward to BUYING Asteroids Deluxe and maybe River Raid.

Don't you want my money MS? Good Lord.

River Raid wasn't one of the games when I tried Game Room out this morning. :'( Something musta happened at the last minute. Damn shame 'cuz I was looking forward to buying that one.

Activision! *shakes fist*

Oh well no River Raid for me I guess.

Anyway bought Centipede and Asteroids Deluxe. The controls take some getting used to and a number of games are going to suffer from lack of trackball/rotary dial but I can still get into them and they're quite decent in terms of emulation.

Really like how replays are saved for top-players.

Reknoc

jlevel13 said:
Well, I got everything downloaded and tried out one game, seemed okay, but then when I went to try a second game all the games disappeared and I couldn't figure out how to get them to come back - tried restarting twice and everything - just a bunch of empty rooms. Then my 360 crashed.

The interface is already a little annoying too - I first wanted to try out Tempest, which I think was in one of the packs, but having to move through all the different rooms instead of just a list of games meant I spent thirty seconds looking for the game instead of playing a game (and I never found it anyway, before just trying out Centipede instead).

You can do this. Go into the main menu and go to the store to check the demo.

robot

Really awesome, can see myself spending a lot of money in there if the releases get better. Why would I spend 400 points instead of 240 - PC & Zune support?

Dynoro

robot said:
Really awesome, can see myself spending a lot of money in there if the releases get better. Why would I spend 400 points instead of 240 - PC & Zune support?
PC - its a play "anywhere" extra fee. But you can play the 160 allards at a later date if you want. I don't believe Zune/Win Mobile 7 support has been confirmed yet

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It all seems a bit of a mess, to be honest.

I played some games on it for about half hour or so, as well, and no nagging 'spend some money' screens or anything. It's like they don't want people to buy games or something.

Gowans

Whats the deal with the token play, should I always visit a friends arcade to use them as they get a token reward???

The Shift

Banned
Spent the last hour or so with this - lots of potential. Getting 5x's in Lunar Lander was a blast from the past. I remember Road Fighter being better than what is here though, maybe the screen size has something to with that. I need to get my brother over for some 2600 Tennis reminisces asap...

Love the clashing music/ambiance too - maybe they can have the good old ciggy ember burn-in's on the screen/controls as an add-on :)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
dallow_bg said:
Yup. It's bannable, main reason I pointed it out.
And it just shouldn't be used that way.

Well you should've been more specific in the first place. It's not a word I use on message boards much because like sarcasm, people can't read into it and I'm surprised it was picked up since it wasn't abused. =)

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Activision! *shakes fist*

Oh well no River Raid for me I guess.

Anyway bought Centipede and Asteroids Deluxe. The controls take some getting used to and a number of games are going to suffer from lack of trackball/rotary dial but I can still get into them and they're quite decent in terms of emulation.

Really like how replays are saved for top-players.

Never got to try the replays. On XBL it kept saying I needed to be connected to the server.

Crystal Castles is another game that is disappointing with an analogue stick, I used to love that game and still remember the hidden warps. :D

jmro said:
I ended up buying Finalizer. It is a pretty decent little shmup

Yeah I demoed it. Not terrible at all though holy crap it can be difficult to grab powerups.

Getting that crash powerup leads to crazy points though. 5 seconds of invincibility and a massive multiplier.

MacDee

Neo Member
Can anyone try and see if games room works for other Live profiles on the same 360?
I continue to be punished for moving from the US to Canada and cannot purchase Live cards locally for my US account. All purchases get made on a silver Canadian account and then are unlocked for any profile on the 360.

Top Bottom