• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Game Room thread of Rewinding Time

I heard this is a game for people who get drunk or high or fucked up, where you never run out of go back in time potion!

bwooooooop

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Love the fact that you can watch replays of games you don't even own, so easily; really makes it easy to see if you'd LIKE a game before buying it.

Battlantis, Finalizer, and Shao-Lin's road are the ones I have in mind so far... haven't purchased any yet, but I can easily say the old atari games don't really call out to me as much at these prices. 240 for an ATARI game, or 80 for potentially great indy games, or even the same 240 for something fantastic like SoulCaster? Yeah, no thanks atari game!

Rewind is a fun feature, if not totally HAX feeling, lol. I'm kinda suprised it cost 5 tokens for a free bonus play on a game but I guess if it cost 1, you'd be given 20 EXTRA free plays right off the bat.

Really, if they released a pack of awesome brawlers one of these weeks, I'd be all over it. Also, I'd LOVE to see a solid amount of Import games here. Unique games I've never played/heard of before are the ones that'll get me to buy them. 3 bucks for a game is bad when it's on 300 collections, but, such as Battlantis, when it's a "Rare Game", it's much more interesting...

That said, get some Sega, Capcom, and Taito love up here!

Gowans

SAB CA said:
Love the fact that you can watch replays of games you don't even own, so easily; really makes it easy to see if you'd LIKE a game before buying it.

That is pretty damn good! Watching some now.

Plasma

Banned
Just finished playing it for a bit, got a few achievement points out of the game for doing nothing.

I like it so far though for some reason I thought you'd be able to walk around the arcade as your avatar and instead you have to use menus which at times feel a bit clunky.

Bought four games Asteroids, Battlantis, Jungler, Tempest and I'm tempted to buy Adventure. Would love to see some 90's arcade stuff in here as well.

Also it would be nice to have a cabinet view mode like in R-Type on XBLA for when you're playing the games.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm scared of giving my credit card info to MS because all the horror stories here on GAF. And no, buying points card isn't an option here :( .

I'm overrating, GAF?

I played around with this a bit more, beat Adventure within the 10 minute demo (a game I love) and lunar landing I played for the whole 10 minutes too, I like those gravity based games.

Did not know you could watch replays, is it part of the leaderboard functions?

If anyone on my friends list bought a game on their 360 I would like to see if my GFWL version will allow me to hop to your room for a free demo, I ask this because We know you can either pay 240 allards to buy the game once or 400 to buy it across both 360 and PC play, I just wonder if demo's can work cross platform too.

Avatar selection for the PC version sucks, about 30 pre-made choices since avatar's are not yet a pc GFWL feature, hopefully soon at some point microsoft will update so I can use my forza 3 themed avatar on the computer.

No idea how you earn coins or badges, from challenges and buying real games for your room, right? so far it seems it's 5 coins for another 10 minute demo if you wanted to use them up.

And I know that I said I would pass on buying a game but I may just have to go buy Adventure :lol

Lonely1 said:
I'm scared of giving my credit card info to MS because all the horror stories here on GAF. And no, buying points card isn't an option here :( .

I'm overrating, GAF?
They updated the service so you can remove cards on the website, but I think that if you use a card to buy live time you can't remove it until your gold expires, I am probably wrong...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:
They updated the service so you can remove cards on the website, but I think that if you use a card to buy live time you can't remove it until your gold expires, I am probably wrong...
Thanks a lot :D . Now, when is this coming up for GFWL?

Lonely1 said:
Thanks a lot :D . Now, when is this coming up for GFWL?
It's up already, load up the GFWL client and head to all games, then look at the end of page 2.

Plasma said:
Just finished playing it for a bit, got a few achievement points out of the game for doing nothing.

I like it so far though for some reason I thought you'd be able to walk around the arcade as your avatar and instead you have to use menus which at times feel a bit clunky.

Bought four games Asteroids, Battlantis, Jungler, Tempest and I'm tempted to buy Adventure. Would love to see some 90's arcade stuff in here as well.

Also it would be nice to have a cabinet view mode like in R-Type on XBLA for when you're playing the games.
Friend me on live, please :D

*edit* this is how the GFWL version looks, full detail, 1440x900 and although I have AA enabled it looks no different and jaggy :(

10n5fmw.png

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
jmro said:
I ended up buying Finalizer. It is a pretty decent little shmup
Yep, that's the one I went with too. Pretty neat.

There's some real catch 22s in here as far as arcade-building goes. The older arcade machines have amazing cabs I'd love to show off in my arcade, but the games are too far antiquated and/or play like junk with a controller. Konami has some more modern games that largely play on controller just fine, but their cabinets are super-lazy cut & paste jobs that look like crap in your arcade.

dallow_bg said:
Yup. It's bannable, main reason I pointed it out.
And it just shouldn't be used that way.
I think you're over reacting. Gen X clearly didn't mean to cause any offence to homosexual people. Although if he did, then it was random, incredibly stealthy and a weak attempt. After all, the word "gay" just means happy. So to use it in this context is no different to calling something "sick" or "bad" when you mean "good" :)

Unless you're referring to term "gay" as in...
The word had started to acquire associations of immorality by 1637
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay
Lonely1 said:

I'm overrating, GAF?
Which horror stories? The only potential problem is them automatically renewing your XBL Gold subscription. But you can prevent the auto-renewal through Xbox.com, or alternatively just remove your card details after you've bought your GR games.

nexen

Oh wow, I didn't know about the rewind feature. That's awesome.

Star Raiders is the inferior 2600 version? Blasphemy.

Atari 2600 games have not aged well. I'm a poster boy for retro gaming and even I cant stand to play more than a handful of them. I'm amazed that they are such a significant part of the original offer here, to be honest.

That being said, there are some that are still fun to play, why are so many of them missing?

For atari 2600 would love to see:
Chopper Command
Galaxian (I may be alone on this one)
Laser Blast
Adventure
Demon Attack
Cosmic Ark
Warlords (oh man, online warlords 4 player would be a blast)
Megamania
Spider Fighter
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

nexen said:
Oh wow, I didn't know about the rewind feature. That's awesome.

Star Raiders is the inferior 2600 version? Blasphemy.

Atari 2600 games have not aged well. I'm a poster boy for retro gaming and even I cant stand to play more than a handful of them. I'm amazed that they are such a significant part of the original offer here, to be honest.

That being said, there are some that are still fun to play, why are so many of them missing?

For atari 2600 would love to see:
Chopper Command
Galaxian (I may be alone on this one)
Laser Blast
Adventure
Demon Attack
Cosmic Ark
Warlords (oh man, online warlords 4 player would be a blast)
Megamania
Spider Fighter
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Well, the 2600 and Intellivision were big in the US and that's MS's biggest market, so it was inevitable that was going to make a chunk of it.

But here in the UK, we were all playing on our C64s and Speccys at that point in time, so it's all a bit of a waste on us.

Having said that, Atari (or Infogrames as it was) bought both Ocean and Gremlin Graphics back in the 90s, who made a big portion of the games for those platforms. So I'm hoping that Atari will extend their GameRoom deal to pushing out some of those Ocean and Gremlin classics, like Monty On The Run, Jack The Nipper, Hunchback, etc.

ShapeGSX

nexen said:
Wow - totally went under my radar for some reason. Thanks! Is it hard to find players?

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I just remembered that it came out. I suspect it is hard to find players. Although with the 4 player camera support, perhaps it has a following like Uno does. Yeeesh.

nexen

Monty Mole said:
Well, the 2600 and Intellivision were big in the US and that's MS's biggest market, so it was inevitable that was going to make a chunk of it.

But here in the UK, we were all playing on our C64s and Speccys at that point in time, so it's all a bit of a waste on us.

Having said that, Atari (or Infogrames as it was) bought both Ocean and Gremlin Graphics back in the 90s, who made a big portion of the games for those platforms. So I'm hoping that Atari will extend their GameRoom deal to pushing out some of those Ocean and Gremlin classics, like Monty On The Run, Jack The Nipper, Hunchback, etc.

I'm just surprised at the magnitude I guess. I grew up with a giant 2600 collection so I'm dead center in the target demographic but even nostalgia glasses aren't enough to make me enjoy playing the vast majority of them.
C64s were pretty big over here too. Speccy's not so much though.
I'd love to see C64 games on there. Hope Nintendo doesn't have some sort of legal lock on it since so many are on the wii download service.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
nexen said:
I'm just surprised at the magnitude I guess. I grew up with a giant 2600 collection so I'm dead center in the target demographic but even nostalgia glasses aren't enough to make me enjoy playing the vast majority of them.
C64s were pretty big over here too. Speccy's not so much though.
I'd love to see C64 games on there. Hope Nintendo doesn't have some sort of legal lock on it since so many are on the wii download service.

Doubtful since a legal C64 Emulator was released on the iPhone back in September of last year.

nexen

Shard said:
Doubtful since a legal C64 Emulator was released on the iPhone back in September of last year.
Oh good news then. Probably end up here as well, unless they see personal computers as out of context for the arcade or something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying it so far. Looking forward to more games and consoles. Lots of little touches such as game history and the ability to changes dip switches is neat. I wish there was a good retro contoller though.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Enjoying it so far. Looking forward to more games and consoles. Lots of little touches such as game history and the ability to changes dip switches is neat. I wish there was a good retro contoller though.
If game room becomes rather popular in the future Microsoft need to look into making a classic controller which is official, wireless and has a worthwhile D-pad.

Any word if we are getting more console games, for those kind of things it would be neat if instead of an arcade cab with a console stuck to the front, it could be an old tube tv on a table :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Diablohead said:
If game room becomes rather popular in the future Microsoft need to look into making a classic controller which is official, wireless and has a worthwhile D-pad.
There are options for good D-pads and joysticks around already. What we really need is a good trackball and paddle.

So with the challenges do both people have to own the game or just the person sending the challenge?

Also, if anyone wants to add me my GT is monkyofdoom I will probably get a points card soo so I can buy some games.

I joined a friend's room who owns two arcade games but I can't play a free trial or anything, he is on 360 and I am on pc, it's no different to trying out a game with 1 free demo and then you have to pay.

I thought if your friend owns a game you get a free pass to play the demo? :/

nexen

Diablohead said:
I joined a friend's room who owns two arcade games but I can't play a free trial or anything, he is on 360 and I am on pc, it's no different to trying out a game with 1 free demo and then you have to pay.

Maybe he didn't buy the pc license?

nexen said:
Maybe he didn't buy the pc license?
That is what I am thinking, man that sucks since 99% of players are going to be on the 360 :(

Kind of splits up the user base doing it like that, I was expecting the pc side of things to be limited only to the person who actually owns the full game to do challenges and scoreboards, not demo trials.

Makes me not want to bother with the GFWL version at all.

nexen

Diablohead said:
That is what I am thinking, man that sucks since 99% of players are going to be on the 360 :(

Kind of splits up the user base doing it like that, I was expecting the pc side of things to be limited only to the person who actually owns the full game to do challenges and scoreboards, not demo trials.

Makes me not want to bother with the GFWL version at all.

GFWL version is kind of DOA because of mame anyways, imho. ... wow thats a lot of acronyms.

Diablohead said:
I don't think that's been said anywhere at all. The OP just makes it seem like if you haven't played your demo of it yet you can do so in a friends arcade.

Really makes the whole point of being able to go into a friends arcade questionable though.

Son of Godzilla said:
I don't think that's been said anywhere at all. The OP just makes it seem like if you haven't played your demo of it yet you can do so in a friends arcade.

Really makes the whole point of being able to go into a friends arcade questionable though.
Tell me about it, both games my friend owns I have already demo'd in the example arcade :lol it really does make it pointless. Once my little bro is off my 360 I will try it out on my console to see what is different.

SAB CA said:
I think the big point of going to a friend's arcade is to set scores and such on their machines. Also it gives them tokens. Kinda makes you something of an arcade operator, haha.
Oh right so my 5 coins I spent go in their pocket? interesting way of playing free trials and stuff at other friend's arcades then.

But even so I played my friends game with coins but never got an achievements for playing a friends arcade game, probably due to the pc to 360 compatibility.

*edit2* I see the message about coins on friends machines when on the 360 version because it loads slower :p never pops up on the GFWL version.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think the big point of going to a friend's arcade is to set scores and such on their machines. Also it gives them tokens. Kinda makes you something of an arcade operator, haha.

Diablohead said:
Oh right so my 5 coins I spent go in their pocket? interesting way of playing free trials and stuff at other friend's arcades then.

But even so I played my friends game with coins but never got an achievements for playing a friends arcade game, probably due to the pc to 360 compatibility.

Not sure how many tokens they can recieve for visit. I know you at least get one for them visiting, but if you get all 5 for them playing, then that WOULD be pretty awesome.

Can the Krome Studio guys answer this one for us?

SAB CA said:
Not sure how many tokens they can recieve for visit. I know you at least get one for them visiting, but if you get all 5 for them playing, then that WOULD be pretty awesome.

Can the Krome Studio guys answer this one for us?
If you have a cab in your arcade i'll donate 5 gold coins to test :p

Pretty great job, Krome/MS. My only complaint besides the apparent lack of full control customization is that the 'basic' view screen stretch axis sliders don't give you a realtime view of the screen, so you have to keep confirming changes to see how it looks and then go back and adjust. An on-screen border representing the current display area while you adjust the values would be useful.

What's up with licensing A2600 Millipede and not the arcade version, as there's the arcade version of Centipede right there beside it? What crazy decision making is going on out there and how the hell does that work? Hope you guys aren't padding the '3 years and 3,000+ games' plan with similarly inferior console/computer conversions chosen over objectively better arcade versions...

Princess Skittles said:
Are the games crisp or are they put through a Backbone blur filter?
On X360, they're crisp with no options for visual filters AFAICT.

Do you think we have a chance of seeing Konami's Run and Gun? It's my favorite sports game of all time and one of my favorite arcade games. I don't believe we've ever seen it ported/made available on a home console. I owned a dual monitor cabinet for a while but had to get rid of it once I moved. I'd even take the sequel.

Hmm.. seems a bit crap.
Am I supposed to be able to buy an arcade machine then? I press the 'A' button for the full unlock or whatever and it does nothing.

MightyHedgehog said:
Pretty great job, Krome/MS. My only complaint besides the apparent lack of full control customization is that the 'basic' view screen stretch axis sliders don't give you a realtime view of the screen, so you have to keep confirming changes to see how it looks and then go back and adjust. An on-screen border representing the current display area while you adjust the values would be useful.

What's up with licensing A2600 Millipede and not the arcade version, as there's the arcade version of Centipede right there beside it? What crazy decision making is going on out there and how the hell does that work? Hope you guys aren't padding the '3 years and 3,000+ games' plan with similarly inferior console/computer conversions chosen over objectively better arcade versions...

On X360, they're crisp with no options for visual filters AFAICT.

Actually there are a lot of options for graphic filter. I'm using the phosphorescence one which gives a nice old arcade screen look.

Fantasmo said:
Hmm.. seems a bit crap.
Am I supposed to be able to buy an arcade machine then? I press the 'A' button for the full unlock or whatever and it does nothing.
360 version is having server problems up the wazoo, kind of amazing that the GFWL version is running smooth for once :lol

Linkified

So I downloaded those two Game Packs for this but can't seem to find said free games. Does anyone know where to go to get them in the Game Room app or does it mean I should delete and reidownload the free Game Packs.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Fantasmo said:
Hmm.. seems a bit crap.
I had the same problem after downloading both gamepacks while still in Game Room. Exit and restart and you should be able to buy.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Linkified said:
So I downloaded those two Game Packs for this but can't seem to find said free games. Does anyone know where to go to get them in the Game Room app or does it mean I should delete and reidownload the free Game Packs.
Game packs aren't free, they simply contain the games.

Top Bottom