• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gulf Of Mexico Oil Disaster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FleckSplat said:
Just another example of privatized profit and socialized risk. A private company reaping profits until something goes wrong, then the military has to step in.

Obviously, the environmental impact is huge too, but just an observation I had.

RE: above, at least financially BP is paying, but it's still pathetic that the government has to step in whenever something goes wrong.

It's at a point where "All hands on deck" certainly applies, so I don't see anything pathetic about it. Besides, this started in federal waters.

Pimpwerx

XiaNaphryz said:
The title should be renamed, I almost created a new story about it. It's a big enough issue now I think to warrant it's own thread.
This will be the ecological disaster of out lifetimes. It'll take a massive spill of radioactive waste to top what this will do. There are a lot of fish in the Gulf of Mexico, and this slick will blot at least the top half of the gulf once it's said and done. That's my opinion. Based on the early estimates, when they thought this problem was manageable, I don't expect them to seal that thing before the end of this year. PEACE.

For something already this bad, what contingency do they have left if it somehow gets worse yet still? Where would such a line in the sand even be? How badly this could likely well dwarf the Exxon situation from years back is just maddening.

I shudder to think where this will be in a week's time, let alone the end of May barring any very dramatic improvements somehow wrought...

Loki

Count of Concision
B.K. said:
They are. I heard them talking about it on the news this evening. It's a BP rig and they're going to have to pay for the clean up.

Well that's good to hear at least. Hope they're held to it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So despite the accidental or negligent nature of this incident, does this not show how vulnerable oil platforms could be to terrorist attack? They just need to find some staging area in Mexico or Central America from which to launch explosive laden boats to detonate under the rigs. I'm sure that the Navy and Coast Guard probably don't make a habit of patrolling them. One good bomb would set off another ecological disaster, or at least a multi-million dollar cleanup.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't know all the details about how and why this happened, but as far as I know this rig is drilling several times deeper than any rig before it and and drilling at those depths greatly increases the possibility of these kinds of problems due to the immense pressure. Whether this was due to blatant human error or not, this is the kind of risk we're going to run as long as we're still dependent on oil......which isn't exactly getting easier to obtain, by the way.....

Oil rig accident like this has not happened in over 15-20 years and it's an excuse not to do more off shore drilling?

If the world and our lives were restricted to random accidents and shit, we would never do or get anywhere.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pimpwerx said:
This will be the ecological disaster of out lifetimes. It'll take a massive spill of radioactive waste to top what this will do. There are a lot of fish in the Gulf of Mexico, and this slick will blot at least the top half of the gulf once it's said and done. That's my opinion. Based on the early estimates, when they thought this problem was manageable, I don't expect them to seal that thing before the end of this year. PEACE.

This should kill any plans Obama had for opening up some new oil drilling in the near future.

DarthWoo said:
So despite the accidental or negligent nature of this incident, does this not show how vulnerable oil platforms could be to terrorist attack? They just need to find some staging area in Mexico or Central America from which to launch explosive laden boats to detonate under the rigs.
mw2_004.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
This should kill any plans Obama had for opening up some new oil drilling in the near future.

Pretty much. Really oil rigs have been safe for so long and were not a risk to the environment as the technology had advanced so much, and then this happens now. Now everyone is going to back pedal because this is going to be such a huge disaster.

BattleMonkey said:
Oil rig accident like this has not happened in over 15-20 years and it's an excuse not to do more off shore drilling?

If the world and our lives were restricted to random accidents and shit, we would never do or get anywhere.

How many nuke plants opened in the US after 3-mile?

jamesinclair said:
How many nuke plants opened in the US after 3-mile?

How many accidents since?

It is these kinds of disasters which have also improved much of the safety measures and technology that goes into them. I have no doubt that this oil rig disaster is going to create a rash of new regulations and safety requirements to be added onto oil rigs and future construction.

Perhaps we should have stopped the space program too eh?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
speculawyer said:

Not quite what I meant. Something more along the lines of a USS Cole style suicide boat. I'm not sure how sturdy the average oil rig is, but I can't imagine they're built to withstand very large explosions.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BattleMonkey said:
It is these kinds of disasters which have also improved much of the safety measures and technology that goes into them. I have no doubt that this oil rig disaster is going to create a rash of new regulations and safety requirements to be added onto oil rigs and future construction.
Prior to this the oil industry has been pushing back on regulation.

Hitokage said:
Prior to this the oil industry has been pushing back on regulation.

With how accident free they have been for so long. While this is horrible it will obviously turn things around. Though the notion of off shore drilling after this is all over is not going to be high on anyones list.

teiresias

BattleMonkey said:
Perhaps we should have stopped the space program too eh?

After Challenger, and then even more after Columbia, NASA did become somewhat risk averse, almost to its detriment.

Of course, no accident created by the space program has ever caused an ecological disaster and possibly brought seafaring industries that many states rely on to a grinding halt.

I can only laugh at the naivety of thinking that the oil industry has ever been in favor of any better safety and accident mitigation regulation (forced or voluntary) in its entire existence.

Pimpwerx

BattleMonkey said:
With how accident free they have been for so long. While this is horrible it will obviously turn things around. Though the notion of off shore drilling after this is all over is not going to be high on anyones list.
It never should have been. The benefits of further oil prospecting are far outweighed by the potential environmental threat. Only coastal residents and treehuggers gave much of a care before this. PEACE.

EDIT: According to some guy Ed Shultz today, those blowout valves aren't even regulated. Apparently this one that failed isn't even mandated on other rigs. I hope that's not true, because it means this sort of thing can happen again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pimpwerx said:
According to some guy Ed Shultz today, those blowout valves aren't even regulated. Apparently this one that failed isn't even mandated on other rigs. I hope that's not true, because it means this sort of thing can happen again.
And you know how big companies love to try and save money by cutting corners wherever they can if they can get away with it.

Pimpwerx said:
It never should have been. The benefits of further oil prospecting are far outweighed by the potential environmental threat. Only coastal residents and treehuggers gave much of a care before this. PEACE.

EDIT: According to some guy Ed Shultz today, those blowout valves aren't even regulated. Apparently this one that failed isn't even mandated on other rigs. I hope that's not true, because it means this sort of thing can happen again.

When gasoline costs $5/gallon (which it will in a couple years or so), everyone will forget about this spill.

I'm pretty sure ALL drilling rigs have blow-out preventers. Blow-outs are VERY dangerous, they make a huge mess, and you lose oil. It REALLY sucks that this blow-out preventer failed.

We really don't know the reliability of these blow-out preventers since the oil companies don't report anything when they work properly. Here is a new regulation I'd like: Every time a blow-out occurs, that must be reported.

BattleMonkey said:

With mistakes of this magnitude, one time is too many.

The second half of your statement doesn't really deserve acknowledgement but I'll bite. This isn't a case of unreasonable fear; this is about weighing the decision to threaten countless species, the coastline of an entire region, and several critical industries with irreversible damage for what amounts to next to no oil in comparison with our overall consumption.

We're not just talking about fishing, either. How much tourism do you think Gulf Coast states will see if their beaches are known for being covered in oil?

exxon-valdez2.jpg

Let that shit burn into your head a little bit and think about what is being risked.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
WickedAngel said:
With mistakes of this magnitude, one time is too many.

The second half of your statement doesn't really deserve acknowledgement but I'll bite. This isn't a case of unreasonable fear; this is about weighing the decision to threaten countless species and several critical industries with irreversible damage for what amounts to next to no oil in comparison with our overall consumption.

We're not just talking about fishing, either. How much tourism do you think Gulf Coast states will see if their beaches are known for being covered in oil?

exxon-valdez2.jpg

Let that shit burn into your head a little bit and think about what is being risked.

Is this the Exxon Valdez thing you guys were talking about?

Fake Edit: Okay I see it is. Damn! Wonder what the tea partiers will think if this happens on the shores of New Orleans and Mississippi?

BattleMonkey said:

Ah yes, the oil industry. The pinnacle of honesty, safety and ecological defense. I am 100% confident that the oil industry does everything in their power to save the environment and regulate themselves.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mckmas8808 said:
Fake Edit: Okay I see it is. Damn! Wonder what the tea partiers will think if this happens on the shores of New Orleans and Mississippi?
Call it a non-event and claim that there are microbes that naturally eat oil so there's nothing we need to do.

I wish I was joking.

Pimpwerx

jamesinclair said:
Ah yes, the oil industry. The pinnacle of honesty, safety and ecological defense. I am 100% confident that the oil industry does everything in their power to save the environment and regulate themselves.

Hitokage said:
Call it a non-event and claim that there are microbes that naturally eat oil so there's nothing we need to do.

I wish I was joking.

See? Oil companies are creating new habitats for oil-feeders. All's well. PEACE.

DarciisFyer said:
If we're comparing this to nuclear meltdowns, it's more of a Chernobyl. The 3-mile island accident didn't do much environmental/health damage all considered.

But 3 mile was in america, and only stuff that happens in america matters.

If this had happened in the Nigerian delta.....it would barely be a news blurb.

The fact that this is happening right off the coast of 4 republican states is quite the slap in the face to the "drill baby drill" rhetoric, although to be fair, apparently the florida people were never comfortable with drilling in their waters for precisely this reason.

LQX

jamesinclair said:
But 3 mile was in america, and only stuff that happens in america matters.

If this had happened in the Nigerian delta.....it would barely be a news blurb.

The fact that this is happening right off the coast of 4 republican states is quite the slap in the face to the "drill baby drill" rhetoric, although to be fair, apparently the florida people were never comfortable with drilling in their waters for precisely this reason.
And much of the world gives a shit this happend off the coast of a US state? People care more when something happens in there backyard so of course it would be little more than a blurb if it happened elsewhere. That said there was not much commotion at all but it now seems way bigger than orginaly thought.

LQX said:
And much of the world gives a shit this happend off the coast of a US state? People care more when something happens in there backyard so of course it would be little more than a blurb if it happened elsewhere. That said there was not much commotion at all but it now seems way bigger than orginaly thought.

You really dont understand how this event happening in US water is more important than a similar event in Nigeria when talking about US politics and rhetoric by US politicians?

If this had happened in Nigeria...
-3rd world safety standards, IGNORE
-Islamic country IGNORE
-Can't find it on a map IGNORE

But no, you have a modern oil drilling vessel fucking things up majorly, when you have folks like Palin talking about how drilling for oil in the ocean is environmentally friendly, safe and in our best interest. Remember, it's the republican party that wants to open alaskan protected reserves to oil companies.

And yes, I would say that much of the world gives a shit about what happens in the US considering the position of the US in international relations. Considering the US is the worlds largest consumer of oil, it is a matter of importance to everyone in the world.

kevm3

Terrible... the only positive is that this may increase the push for cleaner energy sources instead of just giving a nod to it in speeches and continuing with the same ol' routine.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jamesinclair said:
You really dont understand how this event happening in US water is more important than a similar event in Nigeria when talking about US politics and rhetoric by US politicians?

If this had happened in Nigeria...
-3rd world safety standards, IGNORE
-Islamic country IGNORE
-Can't find it on a map IGNORE

But no, you have a modern oil drilling vessel fucking things up majorly, when you have folks like Palin talking about how drilling for oil in the ocean is environmentally friendly, safe and in our best interest. Remember, it's the republican party that wants to open alaskan protected reserves to oil companies.

And yes, I would say that much of the world gives a shit about what happens in the US considering the position of the US in international relations. Considering the US is the worlds largest consumer of oil, it is a matter of importance to everyone in the world.
Pretty much agree on all these points.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Right when prime time fishing starts, this had to happen, This is really going to fuck alot of people who make their living fishing on the gulf coast. Think I will go to the beach and see if I can smell the oil. Living in Mississippi, I'm sure, we are fucked.

besada

Banned
themadcowtipper said:
Right when prime time fishing starts, this had to happen, This is really going to fuck alot of people who make their living fishing on the gulf coast. Think I will go to the beach and see if I can smell the oil. Living in Mississippi, I'm sure, we are fucked.

I'm going to New Orleans on vacation at the end of May. The plan was to enjoy swank creole seafood, but I guess I'll be eating oily shrimp instead.

Ponn

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Is this the Exxon Valdez thing you guys were talking about?

And eventually the whole gulf coast of Florida in about 1 month or less.

Pensacola, Tampa and Tampa Bay. St Petersburg. Oh and all the rich people in Naples with their yachts. And of course the islands. Sanibel Island WAS gorgeous. Come to think if it, thats going to be a lot of beachfront property taking a drastic property value hit.

themadcowtipper

besada said:
I'm going to New Orleans on vacation at the end of May. The plan was to enjoy swank creole seafood, but I guess I'll be eating oily shrimp instead.

I just hope they dont raise the price on crawfish the price per pound is already kinda high this year. I dont think I could survive summer weekends without a crawfish boil.

Fixed1979

I hope that the next time the U.S. claims that Alberta's Oilsands equate to dirty oil and are destroying the environment we shove this back in their face. The damage this has caused in a week (and will continue to do for up to three months) is surely greater than the damaged caused by the open bit mining here in Alberta. Especially when you consider the fact that we are able to reclaim the land used by the mines, and there is significantly less damage done to wildlife and humans as this mess will end up causing. The recklessness of companies handing highly dangerous goods needs to be reviewed. You can call it an accident if you want, but don't try to tell me that it wasn't preventable.

LQX said:

This is the problem that our arbitrary social and political borders create. We all live on the same planet, it has no borders, they are an entirely man made construct. What we do to the environment in Nigeria, Philippines, Mongolia, Ecuador, etc. is every bit as important as what we do in the developed world.

I never really care to give up my current location to the internet lol but lets just say Im
right here on the gulf coast. Hell I just took my family to the beach last weekend, its less than a 7 min drive from where I live. Anyways, I hope this shit doesnt hit or beach but i dont see how it cant. Anyways I'll post pics as the shit starts to come in. I heard that they are going to be hiring a bunch of people to help with the clean up hopefully i can get a job to help out with all the shit. I will hate to see my beach go from this ->
to this -> llllllllll

themadcowtipper

beastmaster said:
I never really care to give up my current location to the internet lol but lets just say Im
right here on the gulf coast. Hell I just took my family to the beach last weekend, its less than a 7 min drive from where I live. Anyways, I hope this shit doesnt hit or beach but i dont see how it cant. Anyways I'll post pics as the shit starts to come in. I heard that they are going to be hiring a bunch of people to help with the clean up hopefully i can get a job to help out with all the shit. I will hate to see my beach go from this ->
to this -> llllllllll

Actually they are already asking for people who own a boat to volunteer to help. Everyone eat all the oysters, catfish ,shrimp and any of the other 400 species this will effect, while they can.

themadcowtipper said:
Actually they are already asking for people who own a boat to volunteer to help.

That's great. I actually had a dream last night of an army of people going out with barrier shields to block the oil from hitting the coastline. I wonder how many people have been enlisted to help so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Evlar said:
I live in a community that could be impacted by this. It's been interesting to see how this is impacting the Florida Senate race. Crist is practically recanting his earlier support for near-coastal offshore drilling.

Hey, vote for Kendrick Meek.

ToxicAdam

Fixed1979 said:
I hope that the next time the U.S. claims that Alberta's Oilsands equate to dirty oil and are destroying the environment we shove this back in their face. .

Except the same people that are against the Alberta fields are also against off-shore drilling. No real hypocrisy there.

ToxicAdam said:
Except the same people that are against the Alberta fields are also against off-shore drilling. No real hypocrisy there.

Yep, the thinking is that rising oil prices will increase the effort and attention paid to creating affordable, sustainable alternatives that have less of an ecological footprint. The more the supply of oil is increased the slower its price will rise, and most if not all environmentalists are against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom