• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drame

Just finished the first episode, fucking epic that's all.

Now, I just need the Blu-Ray. Darn you European Amazon for not carrying it!

Blader

I liked how they addressed the whole Newtype thing,
and how the word "newtype" lost all meaning as an evolutionary step and had just become synonymous with being a good pilot because those were the only Newtypes that people ever saw. It's a nice foreshadowing of how Newtypes were just considered legends during the F91/Victory era.

It reminded me of Gundam X and its explanation for Newtypes.

yencid

HOT DAMN SON! that was fucking amazing... i have not been hyped for an anime in forever but that was just... wow mang wow.

Hero

Gundam Unicorn episode 1 was fucking amazing. It made up for the atrocity of Seed/Destiny/00 completely.

The soundtrack is just so fitting too. Can't wait until the new MG Unicorn comes out.

Dresden

Just watched episode 1 again... Banagher is a god compared to the recent offering of Gundam heroes, as in Kira, Setsuna, and Emoro.

AFreak

Banned
Favorite Gundam has always been Deathscythe Hell. Custom a close second, but I love me that double bladed scythe. Doesn't hurt that my fave pilot is Duo maxwell either.

With all that said, my fave gundam I've seen so far is Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories, although I haven't seen Zeta, half of OGGundam, ZZ, Victory, turn a, or gundam X. So I'm pretty damn far behind.

B.K.

How much of the light novels did episode one cover? Will they be able to cover the entire story with just six episodes?

ILikeFeet

Banned
GAF I want this bad (on Blu-Ray). so I have questions: what is the resolution of the movie and what is the best price:quality blu-ray drive for a computer (internal if possible)

S. L.

B.K. said:
How much of the light novels did episode one cover? Will they be able to cover the entire story with just six episodes?
afaik the first episode covered the first two novels.
so no worries there

B.K.

S. L. said:
afaik the first episode covered the first two novels.
so no worries there

I wonder how good an adaptation it is. I wonder if there is a lot of stuff they had to cut.

S. L.

B.K. said:
I wonder how good an adaptation it is. I wonder if there is a lot of stuff they had to cut.
no idea, but these kind of novels are usually pretty light, so i doubt much is lost.
Also they more or less had to cover the first two volumes in the first episode as the unicorn gundam is first introduced in volume 2...

Totakeke

B.K. said:

Well I went around reading discussion about the episode and at least the backstory of the Londo Bell pilot who saved the three of them at the end had to be cut, which I think also includes the reason why they are there in the first place.

Snaku

Banned
So envious of you guys. I don't have internet access good enough to stream anything. But I have the Blu-ray pre-ordered. Can't wait. :D

Jex

_dementia said:
So hyped for the Unicorn Blu Ray release.

Do you think they'll release all six parts together then it's finished?

They could do..but considering how much they are charging for each episode I don't think it will happen. Especially considering how far apart the releases will probably be. Also, who knows when it will be finished. Could be years.

B.K. said:

The novels themselves are very small, lot of Japanese novels are not your normal Western style huge 400+ page books.

_dementia said:

Actually I would be surprised if they actually release all 6 parts in the west. With how long this series is going to take to come out completely and with the doomed to fail price/release model, I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai Visual decides to drop the whole worldwide release idea before it finishes.

S. L.

_dementia said:

at some point down the road for sure. anytime soon (after the finished release) probably not.

Oh man what a tease at the end of episode 1. Seriously that was pure awesome! C'mon and hurry up bluray!!!

I'm gonna go play GvG Next Plus to get my Unicorn fix now. :lol

B.K.

I watched F-91 earlier today. You can really tell it was originally planned as a series. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many holes in the plot and so much was left unresolved. Next is V Gundam. Does it wrap up F-91's story?

B.K. said:
I watched F-91 earlier today. You can really tell it was originally planned as a series. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many holes in the plot and so much was left unresolved. Next is V Gundam. Does it wrap up F-91's story?

V Gundam jumps way past F-91, it's not related. Tomino wrote a couple novels that flesh out the planned F91 TV storyline, and the Crossbone Gundam manga is a sequel set 10 years later.

MechaX

Wow. Unicorn's first episode was actually pretty good. It sucks that this series will bring Macross Zero flashbacks of waiting over half a year for each episode, but for quality like this, it'll be worth it. Additionally, the dialogue for the 00 movie sounds absolutely ridiculous.
A Nena Clone? Ribbons returning? Fuck this.

But in the meantime, I should probably rewatch Zeta Gundam while it's on ANN. Has any one here on GAF seen the Zeta movies before? I really haven't heard too many impressions of the movies.

Zeta movies are garbage. If you can find a collection of just the new animated footage, then watch that. They are horribly paced, badly edited, and lot of stupid changes.

B.K.

distantmantra said:
V Gundam jumps way past F-91, it's not related. Tomino wrote a couple novels that flesh out the planned F91 TV storyline, and the Crossbone Gundam manga is a sequel set 10 years later.

So we never get to find out what happened to all the characters that just disappeared by the end of the movie?

B.K. said:
So we never get to find out what happened to all the characters that just disappeared by the end of the movie?

This is covered in Crossbone Gundam manga series. They pretty much explain what the whole Crossbone Vangaurd thing was about, some hints about Iron Mask and his crazyness. It takes place 10 years later but it does feature the main characters and discusses what went down with them.

If you can't find the series since it's not been released outside Japan:

After the death of Iron Mask and the revelation of his "bug" project, the crossbone vanguard's ideas of invasion and conquest were put on hold. Cecily Fairchild assumes her place in stead of her father and takes charge, and disbands the Vanguard and turns it into a self defense for at best for the home colony. During investigations of Iron Masks activities and such they find out about the Jupiter Empire. The Jupiter Empire based on Jupiter (duh) has been secretly promoting conflict in the Earth sphere since Zeta Gundam, and Iron Mask was being supplied and supposedly enhanced by them. They wished to weaken the Federation through conflicts to make way for their own conquest that they have been plotting for many years, and developing tons of weapons far away from Earth's view on Jupiter.

Jupiter Empire had built up a sizable force and created many weapons of mass destruction and was ready to unleash them at any moment. To avoid triggering conflict with the Jupiter Empire, Cecily Fairchild, Seabook, and others loyal to her faked their deaths in a public ceremony. With them assumed dead, they formed a new Crossbone Vanguard group under the guise of pirates (hence the pirate theme of the series). Basically the series goes over their guerrilla style war against the Jupiter Empire and introduces some new young characters (newtypes of course) who take over as the main protagonists.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just watched it.

And just to toss up a background: I have been thoroughly unimpressed by most of the newer gundam shows. They all suck.

But this was pretty good.

Jex

EvaPlusMinus said:
Just watched it.

And just to toss up a background: I have been thoroughly unimpressed by most of the newer gundam shows. They all suck.

But this was pretty good.

Yeah I'm not sure if the show is good because it's good or I just think its good after all the crap they've been putting out.

Jexhius said:
Yeah I'm not sure if the show is good because it's good or I just think its good after all the crap they've been putting out.

Well being based off of an actual Tomino novel might have something to do with it...

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Nah, I thought this one was pretty good. A few silly moments, but all anime has these at some point. Not looking for perfection or anything. I just hope the main kid doesn't get super emo or anything. I can take a bit of it, but too much really drains the fun out of it.

Dresden

EvaPlusMinus said:
Nah, I thought this one was pretty good. A few silly moments, but all anime has these at some point. Not looking for perfection or anything. I just hope the main kid doesn't get super emo or anything. I can take a bit of it, but too much really drains the fun out of it.
I can see him getting emo for a bit when Audrey goes all tsundere on him. "I-It's not like I need you or anything, Barnagher." " = ( "

S. L.

Dresden said:
I can see him getting emo for a bit when Audrey goes all tsundere on him. "I-It's not like I need you or anything, Barnagher." " = ( "
I hope he goes emo at some point and then, in good old UC tradition, gets the crap beaten out of him :lol
kamilleoptyzkf.gif

Also I just noticed, is Audrey Burne some kind of play on Audrey Hepburn? heh

Deadly

Is the Unicorn light novel finished already? I searched up abit about what happens later and
it mentions the other Unicorn unit but says there's "barely any information on it"
and when I checked the wiki it said it ended June 26 2009.

I am building the MG Sinanju right now.... it is challenging to assemble.

I hand-painted the crest and gold decals on as opposed to using the stickers, and I am 1.5 weeks into making it. Anyone have any tips on making the sinanju?

So far it is a slick looking model, but the paint makes the joints very stiff.

S. L. said:
Also I just noticed, is Audrey Burne some kind of play on Audrey Hepburn? heh

That was the intent, seeing how it's a
cover for Mineva Leo Zabi.

Deadly said:
Is the Unicorn light novel finished already?

Yes, it finished last Spring/Summer. I have the Gundam ACE with the final chapter in it, but I can't remember what month it's from.

S. L.

distantmantra said:
That was the intent, seeing how it's a
cover for Mineva Leo Zabi.
eh, the
Mineva part
was pretty obvious once she was called princess :>

Major Williams said:
I am building the MG Sinanju right now.... it is challenging to assemble.

I hand-painted the crest and gold decals on as opposed to using the stickers, and I am 1.5 weeks into making it. Anyone have any tips on making the sinanju?

So far it is a slick looking model, but the paint makes the joints very stiff.

currently building my sinanju too
before painting:
img_0181k0da.jpg

now (yup, yellow :D ):
m1ypu7.jpg

m2pq7u.jpg

more here
the sheer amount of parts is a bit of a PITA

Zaptruder said:
Ooh, where did you order that from?
Hlj.com. It's currently on backorder though so I don't know how long you'd have to wait. I checked other sites and some local spots in Los Angeles, but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom