• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A Penguin said:
Don't worry, you aren't missing much. HaloGAF doesn't play Halo anymore anyways.

I think I'm one of like 3 HaloGAFfers that still play Halo 3. FOR SHAME

Sorry gaffers, I had to stop playing Halo3. I get far too frustrated and angry. That and I still miss Halo:CE. Have been waiting for a remake of that game for xboxlive since xbox live was introduced.

I've moved on to less stressful endeavors. I mostly play world of warcraft now.

Happy New Year you guys! :)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A Penguin said:
Still a little under 10 minutes for me. West coast is the best coast, baby! We've got...uh...good weather and shit.

Don't worry, you aren't missing much. HaloGAF doesn't play Halo anymore anyways.

I'll definitely be down for more Halo once the Reach media embargo goes up. Sounds weird, I know, but L4D2 and MW2 have consumed me, despite the cock sucking shit MW2 is at times.

But once Mass Effect 2 and LOST S6 arrive, my Halo career is put on hold until the Reach Beta. :p

Gui_PT said:
It runs on lamp oil
:lol

No one plays Halo 3 anymore because we finally got some quality new games to play. Dragon Age, Boarderlands, L4D2, Assasin's Creed II, and some other game whose name escapes me right now. On top of that Mass Effect 2 is coming out soon. Halo is being put on hold by me until the Reach Beta.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stormtrooper30 said:
:lol

No one plays Halo 3 anymore because we finally got some quality new games to play. Dragon Age, Boarderlands, L4D2, Assasin's Creed II, and some other game whose name escapes me right now. On top of that Mass Effect 2 is coming out soon. Halo is being put on hold by me until the Reach Beta.

Speak for yourself. =P

Some great games came out in 08 too. Everything in moderation.
I'll still return to Halo as my go to game, none other has replaced that for me yet.

Gui_PT

I actually only play Halo 3

And I only play Halo 3 because I have no money to buy other cool games =( it's the best game in the world

After almost play MW2 exclusively for nearly two months, I nearly forgot just how much fun Halo 3 is. Just played Neutral Assault on Standoff and while I don't personally like the map, the gametype ensured that I had a fun time.

If Reach copies anything from Modern Warfare 2, hopefully Bungie is able to figure out how to do it without any of the drag and while simultaneously keeping the fun gameplay of Halo.

EazyB

Banned
Hope everyone had a good New Years,
everything-but-
HaloGAF.

2010, the year Bungie finally gets to put Halo to rest.

Kibbles

EazyB said:
Hope everyone had a good New Years,
everything-but-
HaloGAF.

2010, the year Bungie finally gets to put Halo to rest.
I bought the Legendary Edition because Bungie kept saying Halo 3 was the last one. I'm not falling for it again! :p

EazyB

Banned
Kibbles said:
I bought the Legendary Edition because Bungie kept saying Halo 3 was the last one. I'm not falling for it again! :p
Did they really say anything beyond the fact that it'd be the last in the trilogy? I honestly don't remember.

Stuff like, "After Reach that's it for us..." has me feeling pretty good.

Regardless, I'm confident Bungie isn't going to touch Halo for the foreseeable future.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
Did they really say anything beyond the fact that it'd be the last in the trilogy? I honestly don't remember.

Stuff like, "After Reach that's it for us..." has me feeling pretty good.

Regardless, I'm confident Bungie isn't going to touch Halo for the foreseeable future.

Didn't the podcast confirm there's now two projects, Reach and the non Halo project, down from three after ODST shipped?

The Peter Jackson project is also dead too, if I recall, Bungie was working on that project, for a time.

I'm pretty sure future Halo titles will be coming from Microsoft and 343. As a Halo fan, I'll be following the series, but Halo 1 - 3/ODST have also made me a staunch Bungie fan, I'm looking forward to something fresh from them (which, if job listings are to be believed, which will feature an online multiplayer component, awesome!).

Is it just me, or is the lighting in the levels, outside of Mombasa streets, not that great? I mean, there are some areas in all the levels that are too dark to see anything that well, but when you turn on the VISR, it's too bright.

Anyway, just replayed through ODST for the fifth time I think. I can definitely say how I feel about the levels.

Good/Great (the levels I thoroughly enjoyed)
  • Tayari Plaza
  • Uplift Reserve
  • NMPD HQ
  • KikoWani Station

Okay (some aspects of them I enjoyed, others I didn't)

• Data Hive
  • Kizingo Boulevard
  • Mombasa Streets

Bad (hardly any redeeming qualities)
  • Oni Alpha Site
  • Coastal Highway

Well yesterday being it News Year and all, I got a little nostalgic I got the Halo feeling, I wanted to really give it a shot and get back into it and own some kids so I went in and played some MLG. After a 1 month hiatus.

Hooked it up to my TV instead of my Monitor it runs a bit better but still its mad slow feeling.

After about 3 games I gave up. Dude quit on our team in the beginning of the game. Shit netcode not detecting my shots. Whatever.

Still recycled Double Exp's. Now before I was just under the camp of "Hire Juices as playlist help" now I am definitely under "Fire Shishka replace with Juices (and personally I'd like Vhfive as a partner)" camp. The man has done JACK SHIT to Halo.

Also PS When are they patching the Double Reload glitch? Oh wait thats right Bungie doesn't patch their games. :lol

EazyB

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Also PS When are they patching the Double Reload glitch? Oh wait thats right Bungie doesn't patch their games. :lol
Speaking out on Halo 3 being glitchy when you've been entranced by a certain game for the last few weeks :lol

Here's a new year's resolution for you. Stop being such a dumbass and continually coming back to a game you've admitted to hating for fucking ages. While you're at it doing jump into threads about games you don't care for just re habitually regurgitate the same shit.

Or, I think you'll find this one easier, never change Juices. I suppose someone's gotta spew the arrogant self-aggrandizing bullshit and there's no one with as colorful and experienced a background as yourself. I eagerly anticipate your post next week effectively saying:

"I know Halo 3 sucks. I played it anyways. It still sucks lol. Who could have seen that coming. I'm never playing again."

EazyB said:
Speaking out on Halo 3 being glitchy when you've been entranced by a certain game for the last few weeks :lol

Here's a new year's resolution for you. Stop being such a dumbass and continually coming back to a game you've admitted to hating for fucking ages. While you're at it doing jump into threads about games you don't care for just re habitually regurgitate the same shit.

Or, I think you'll find this one easier, never change Juices. I suppose someone's gotta spew the arrogant self-aggrandizing bullshit and there's no one with as colorful and experienced a background as yourself. I eagerly anticipate your post next week effectively saying:

"I know Halo 3 sucks. I played it anyways. It still sucks lol. Who could have seen that coming. I'm never playing again."

Defending a game for no reason. Stay classy EazyV.

What I mean is at least IW attempts to fix their shit. Bungie hasn't attempted anything. Hell when you view other players gamercards they still have YOUR ICON showing in THEIR COLOR. How hard of a fix can that be? Its just sloppy as shit. And Shishka really needs to get his fucking ass busy, the dude does NOTHING. How can you defend that shit?!

You also fail to mention that my last 50 games span over almost 3 months of time. 50 games, an amount I used to play through in ONE weekend.

xxjuicesxx said:
Well yesterday being it News Year and all, I got a little nostalgic I got the Halo feeling, I wanted to really give it a shot and get back into it and own some kids so I went in and played some MLG. After a 1 month hiatus.

Hooked it up to my TV instead of my Monitor it runs a bit better but still its mad slow feeling.

After about 3 games I gave up. Dude quit on our team in the beginning of the game. Shit netcode not detecting my shots. Whatever.

Still recycled Double Exp's. Now before I was just under the camp of "Hire Juices as playlist help" now I am definitely under "Fire Shishka replace with Juices (and personally I'd like Vhfive as a partner)" camp. The man has done JACK SHIT to Halo.

Yeah, I agree with all you've said. Seriously, the net code is garbage. Half of my shots last night in those three games weren't connecting; I was shooting faces when the enemies were one shot and they weren't going down. And then add quitters to the mix (wish Bungie implemented some sort of add in system to round out teams when one person quits like in CoD) and it's just a terrible experience. I, too, haven't played in months and 3 matches was more than enough of a taste for the next two months. It's such a stale experience and a shame considering the potential that could have been had is ruined by a fire-haired, meaty-breasted bimbo.

Halo 3's netcode is garbage? Oh boy, now I've heard everything. It's MW2's netcode that's garbage. At least with Halo 3, I know I won't loose someone in my party in the process of matchmaking, or get ejected from the game for any number of reasons, or when I'm given host (after it's "evaluated" all potential clients) it's yanked from me within a few seconds and then it boots me which forces everyone who was in a party with me to back out and reconnect. Not to mention it's easier to move from custom games to matchmaking in Halo 3 than MW2.

Yeah, Halo 3's netcode is "garbage.":lol :lol

EazyB

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Defending a game for no reason. Stay classy EazyV.

What I mean is at least IW attempts to fix their shit. Bungie hasn't attempted anything. Hell when you view other players gamercards they still have YOUR ICON showing in THEIR COLOR. How hard of a fix can that be? Its just sloppy as shit. And Shishka really needs to get his fucking ass busy, the dude does NOTHING. How can you defend that shit?!
Sorry bub, but when you say sloppy and then put up IW's game on a podium I can't take you seriously. MW2 has had the sloppiest launch I've ever experienced. Maybe if Bungie would've released a broken game from the get-go they you would've been impressed by them fixing it and bringing it to the exact same state it's in today. And praising MW2's hit detection? :lol Are you that easily fooled by the game's lack of real firefights and extremely short encounters that you can confidently say MW2 has amazing hit detection and Halo 3's sucks? I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of technology behind each game as it seems you've got that covered.

As far as yours and anyone else's complaints about matchmaking, I have no objections. I feel it's been tragically neglected and more resources should have been dedicated to making it continually fresh and to incorporate and support community content. In my eyes Bungie's failed to do these things but I'm not about to claim anyone else does it better.

Nor am I going to be as bold to assume I or anyone I know would be more capable at doing another person's job especially without knowing what said job involves.

Dax01 said:
Halo 3's netcode is garbage? Oh boy, now I've heard everything. It's MW2's netcode that's garbage. At least with Halo 3, I know I won't loose someone in my party in the process of matchmaking, or get ejected from the game for any number of reasons, or when I'm given host (after it's "evaluated" all potential clients) it's yanked from me within a few seconds and then it boots me which forces everyone who was in a party with me to back out and reconnect. Not to mention it's easier to move from custom games to matchmaking in Halo 3 than MW2.

Yeah, Halo 3's netcode is "garbage.":lol :lol

Thats not netcode, thats MM. Huge Difference. Also its an area where I freely admit IW needs to patch the large party splitting (something that actually appears in H3 too, it has to do with NAT issues - commonly when someone starts a custom game and someone is booted instantly and has to re-join afterwards) and the super late game joins.

EazyB said:
As far as yours and anyone else's complaints about matchmaking, I have no objections. I feel it's been tragically neglected and more resources should have been dedicated to making it continually fresh and to incorporate and support community content. In my eyes Bungie's failed to do these things but I'm not about to claim anyone else does it better.

They did in a way. They released the game then made that ONE patch that SORTOF fixed the AR beatdown bullshit that was happening. I say sortof because the system they implemented is so mindnumbingly retarded.

Mind you IW started MW1 off pretty rough too and they finally got it right after a few patches. MW2 had a lot of shit wrong and the patching is coming along. Bungie doesn't even ATTEMPT anymore. They just took their money and hauled ass a long time ago.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ejudHNkAOI

And yes I will go ahead and make claims because I'm bolder than you. Hate away, whatever, I know I would do better.

Dax01 said:
Is it just me, or is the lighting in the levels, outside of Mombasa streets, not that great? I mean, there are some areas in all the levels that are too dark to see anything that well, but when you turn on the VISR, it's too bright.

Anyway, just replayed through ODST for the fifth time I think. I can definitely say how I feel about the levels.

Good/Great (the levels I thoroughly enjoyed)
  • Tayari Plaza
  • Uplift Reserve
  • NMPD HQ
  • KikoWani Station

Okay (some aspects of them I enjoyed, others I didn't)

• Data Hive
  • Kizingo Boulevard
  • Mombasa Streets

Bad (hardly any redeeming qualities)
  • Oni Alpha Site
  • Coastal Highway

I'd switch Kikiwani Station and Kizingo Boulevard personally (bleh Scarab) but otherwise I completely agree.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
I think I'm one of like 3 HaloGAFfers that still play Halo 3. FOR SHAME

I try to hop on every once in a while...think I'm just burnt out, only good playlist that I can play is MLG and I get pooped on in there now where I don't play anymore really, oh well.

Also, the net code/hit detection is frustrating to the point of never wanting to boot it up most of the time.

Not to say I'm enjoying MW2 THAT much, because I'm not. It's for the most part garbage, I hate how it's less about gunfights and more about killstreaks, so yea.

L4D2 is sweet, just wish I could find someone to play it with. =\

big ander

Stormtrooper30 said:
There was no Scarab in ODST... was there?
There was, right at the end of Kikowani Station.

EDIT
Domino Theory said:
I figured all bets were off after over 3 months, but I guess I would hate to buy the game late and then come to the thread and get spoiled. Fixed.

Zeouterlimits said:
I'd switch Kikiwani Station and Kizingo Boulevard personally (bleh Scarab) but otherwise I completely agree.
I thought the scarab fight was pretty good. While Kizingo Boulevard had the tank, the whole sequence was ruined because all the debris made it hard to operate the tank (and frankly the level was too cramped for it).

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
I thought the scarab fight was awesome. While Kizingo Boulevard had the tank, the whole sequence was ruined because all the debris made it hard to operate the tank (and frankly the level was too cramped for it).
Yeah, would have been infinitely more fun with the chopper but I have to say the banshee level was terribly boring and I still enjoy doing quick little runs of Kizingo.

Edit: And I'm down for playin L4D2 anytime. Even with old, boring, married folk.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
big ander said:
There was, right at the end of Kikowani Station.

EDIT

I figured all bets were off after over 3 months, but I guess I would hate to buy the game late and then come to the thread and get spoiled. Fixed.

Hehe, sorry, was just a joke. :p

Ramirez

The scarab fight is a pain on Legendary, that and Coastal Highway is why I haven't even bothered trying to get the achievement.

big ander

Domino Theory said:
Hehe, sorry, was just a joke. :p
I actually figured it was, but then I thought I'd mark it anyway. Just in case anybody got the game for Christmas and is planning on getting around to it, or something like that.
Ramirez said:
The scarab fight is a pain on Legendary, that and Coastal Highway is why I haven't even bothered trying to get the achievement.
The achievement for completion on Legendary? Mine unlocked at the start of Data Hive. I didn't complain. I had done Highway on Co-op legendary, so I thought that contributed to it, but I hadn't done Data Hive on anything above Heroic. Still don't even know how it happened.
Ehhh...screw spoilers. The Scarab fight was probably the hardest part for me. The Scarab itself wasn't horrible because I had found a gravity hammer and just needed to drop on and then hammer the brutes, but the Banshees around the Scarab were hell. Damn things wouldn't die.

People seriously had trouble with the Scarab? Every time I play that level I grab a Banshee, fly directly to the Scarab, get out, run to the power core, toss two grenades, then jump.

I always feel like I'm cheating cause it's so easy :/

zumphry

Banned
Dani said:
The Peter Jackson project is also dead too, if I recall, Bungie was working on that project, for a time.

I thought Bungie started on ODST due to the Jackson project dying out. Though, I'm most likely wrong.

As for this being the last Halo game (from Bungie), I'm happy. It means Bungie can work on their own IP again (also a new one!),
and it means the end of any Halo purchase by me

Oh yea, its during the stupidly boring level where you fly around for an hour. Definately not the best encounter.

Merguson said:
Someone has not played the game.

Admit your deep shame and resume playing Dragon Age.
Game is so good. It's KOTOR Medieval. What more could you ask for in a game?

ZayneH said:
I thought Bungie started on ODST due to the Jackson project dying out. Though, I'm most likely wrong.

As for this being the last Halo game (from Bungie), I'm happy. It means Bungie can work on their own IP again (also a new one!),
and it means the end of any Halo purchase by me
"True Halo" lol.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
"True Halo" lol.
Statistcally speaking, there's about a 99% chance I won't be playing any non-Bungie Halo games either, but that's mostly because I think most of the games released these days are crap.

Top Bottom