• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Gui_PT

OMG Aero said:
I'm up for it if we could also go for Deja Vu.

Well the guy I want to help doesn't have ODST. If we get another player for Annual and then 2 more for Deja Vu, we can work this out

Edit: If we get an extra one for ODST after we're done with Halo 3 that'd be great

I REALLY want to do a deja vu run again for some odd reason, ive dont it before but it just seems like a fun thing to do.

So yeah my GT's bobs99 if you have a slot free, if not no worries!

Roche

I would be more than happy to help I want to play some more ODST, my Xbox is red ringed though so I won't be able to play until Friday.

Still need help by then I'd be up for it.

Can you post here when your ready to move onto ODST if you have a slot spare for Deja Vu, if so ill switch my xbox on, im going to be doing a bit of Uni work but ill check this thread every so often

F5 F5 F5 F5 :lol

ShinAmano

So I am playing on Citadel last night team BRs...I am 12-0 and the team was up 39-23.

I let the team know I need 3 kills for my perfection...two teammates help out and prep the enemies...

I am 14-0 team up 49-38...third teammate says not this time and gets the last kill.

No Perfection/Achievement for me.

:( :lol

LTTP...

I finally purchased ODST a couple of days ago, and I already wish that I could take it back. It's hard to believe that I just paid 60 dollars for it. The city-at-night environment with the new hud is pretty sweet. But that's where the coolness ends.

The city you explore is sparsely populated at best, while listening to the most depressing music ever created. Brutes are still Bungie's worst mistake ever as a new enemy, and drones run a close 2nd. I wanna kill elites (to hell with the storyline. WTF happened to all the things that made HaloCE great?). Fighting enemies that have invincibility shields is retarded, especially in firefight. Whose idea was that? It's unrewarding to pop off shots that should result in awesome kills and longer survivability, but instead I'm just prolonging the encounter with what are already stupid meat bag gorillas.

I've only played through the campaign on normal and nothing about the campaign makes me want to play through it again on a higher difficulty, not because I don't like challenges, but because the game is annoying and drags. I'd be thankful that the campaign is short (to end the monotony, boredom and pain, but I did just pay 60 bucks for something containing far less content than any of the previous 3 halo titles.

In short, ODST just barfs up a bunch of enemies on you and leaves you with a crappy shield and crappy weapons. And I get the whole "you are not a spartan and you have to be more strategic about how you approach enemies...bla bla bla." Well then make it fun. If i'm reduced to low health all the time, getting hit from every direction by even grunts (and this is on normal difficulty btw), trying to kill mobs that have invincibility shields, how is this fun? No wait, I got it. Add a bunch of random drones, too, because those make the game even better!

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the plot. So something goes wrong on the drop, and the rest of the game is me searching for my squad mates. Then we leave. Neato! And please don't mention the last few levels and the engineer, because that felt so unbelievably dull and unfulfilling and unrewarding and completely pointless and etc etc etc. I almost went out pushed an old lady on the ground because that would have been something.

Lastly, the new pistol is a joke. You can basically stand next to a brute, ping 6-7 headshots on him with it, and it doesn't do a thing (on normal difficulty mind you). Serious? Really? Is that what the Marines are using these days? That's just sad. So they designed a gun that is basically only good for capping grunts and jackels in the head. GG Bungie. Brilliant game design.

OMG Aero

Deputy Moonman said:
Lastly, the new pistol is a joke. You can basically stand next to a brute, ping 6-7 headshots on him with it, and it doesn't do a thing (on normal difficulty mind you). Serious? Really? Is that what the Marines are using these days? That's just sad. So they designed a gun that is basically only good for capping grunts and jackels in the head. GG Bungie. Brilliant game design.
Remove the armour and a single headshot from the pistol kills a brute.

DeadGzuz

Banned
LTTP - I've had ODST for weeks waiting for time to co-op the story.

I'm about half way through, if the game is 5 hours or so (I'm just past the bridge part).

I don't want to repeat Deputy Moonman, I agree with most of his points. The story is sparse at best, who are the people and why do I care about them? The gun play is typical Halo, pew-pew alien guns mixed with typical human ones. I love the vehicle combat though, the tanks rule. The city part should be optional for co-op, I don't want to run around a boring ugly city at night. They literally make you run back and forth to get to the flash back parts, this must have been intentional to extend the time to finish.

The graphics are poor, embarrassing for 2009. The part at the zoo was horrid. The char models are just as bad. I hope Reach fixes all this. The one liners from the forgettable chars are groan inducing. My friend said "it's so bad it's funny", I responded "yea, Haze bad, boosh!".

Anyhow my buddy and I are trying to get through this ASAP so we can trade/sell it. I feel sorry for anyone who paid $60 for this, I paid $25 and feel ripped.

DeadGzuz said:
LTTP - I've had ODST for weeks waiting for time to co-op the story.

I'm about half way through, if the game is 5 hours or so (I'm just past the bridge part).

I don't want to repeat Deputy Moonman, I agree with most of his points. The story is sparse at best, who are the people and why do I care about them? The gun play is typical Halo, pew-pew alien guns mixed with typical human ones. I love the vehicle combat though, the tanks rule. The city part should be optional for co-op, I don't want to run around a boring ugly city at night. They literally make you run back and forth to get to the flash back parts, this must have been intentional to extend the time to finish.

The graphics are poor, embarrassing for 2009. The part at the zoo was horrid. The char models are just as bad. I hope Reach fixes all this. The one liners from the forgettable chars are groan inducing. My friend said "it's so bad it's funny", I responded "yea, Haze bad, boosh!".

Anyhow my buddy and I are trying to get through this ASAP so we can trade/sell it. I feel sorry for anyone who paid $60 for this, I paid $25 and feel ripped.
franklin.jpg

What the hell are "chars"?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
http://img2.pict.com/d4/86/8e/1920987/0/franklin.jpg/img]

[spoiler]What the hell are "chars"?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Characters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can someone tell me where these supply caches are? I find the audio logs and then I'm told to check the nav for supply cache locations and I don't see shit.

Dan said:
Can someone tell me where these supply caches are? I find the audio logs and then I'm told to check the nav for supply cache locations and I don't see shit.
They should show up on the map after you unlock them. I think it's a picture of the superintendent.

Aspiring

So i just picked this up now. Had a bit of a play and am liking it. I missed out on Halo 3, and must say that the controls feels so dated. I have found myself constantly pressing LT to aim and throw grenades instead. Also i have no idea what is going on with the story. But other than that i am enjoying it, as it was only $50 AUD.

I need to ask though. The second disc, is that just regular Halo 3 online with all the maps? Does it have acheivements?

Kujo

Second disc is basically Halo 3 without campaign but all DLC. So you can get all multiplayer achievements with it I believe, but no story ones.

Aspiring

OK awesome. I wonder how that works when comparing Acheivements.

Played some more story and it does get better. Still find it so weird to control though. But i guess i will adjust. Just finished downloading the Reach beta so want to try that out as well! Really this is my first Halo experience since the original. I have Halo 2 but only bought it because it came with 12 months of Live and worked out that i got the game for free :D

It really is different to the normal FPS shooters these days, but i guess thats its charm. One thing i noticed is how fucking awesome the AI is. In CoD and Battlefield there stupid. In this they hide, attempt to go around and surpise you, its unreal! I shot the gun out of a covenants hand and he was running flailing his arms in the air screaming :lol So amazing!

Iknos

Is there not a new mode unlocked today?

Haven't checked the thread in days and my games are packed up but I thought ahead and packed Halo separately.

I did accidentally pack one of my HDMI cables so I want to know if I should bother hunting for one if this mode is out tonight.

Skim through the last few pages and no one is talking about it so I'm worried.

Kujo

Aspiring said:
Any achievements you get on the second disc will appear as regular Halo 3. But you can't get 100% of them unless you own the original Halo 3 disc as well.

Skim through the last few pages and no one is talking about it so I'm worried.
This isn't the Reach thread :p

Aspiring

Mojo said:
Any achievements you get on the second disc will appear as regular Halo 3. But you can't get 100% of them unless you own the original Halo 3 disc as well.

Oh ok cool, thank you so very much for clearing this up! Cant wait to give it a whirl!

big ander

Aspiring said:

Played some more story and it does get better. Still find it so weird to control though. But i guess i will adjust. Just finished downloading the Reach beta so want to try that out as well! Really this is my first Halo experience since the original. I have Halo 2 but only bought it because it came with 12 months of Live and worked out that i got the game for free :D

It really is different to the normal FPS shooters these days, but i guess thats its charm. One thing i noticed is how fucking awesome the AI is. In CoD and Battlefield there stupid. In this they hide, attempt to go around and surpise you, its unreal! I shot the gun out of a covenants hand and he was running flailing his arms in the air screaming :lol So amazing!
Hop into the Beta soon, it won't be around for much longer!
Also, I wouldn't describe the controls as "dated." Just because they're different doesn't mean they're antiquated. It means they're different. Personally, I like Halo controls a lot more than any other FPS.

Gui_PT

SlaughterX said:
I just want to say this glitchy ass game annoys the fuck out of me, having to replay missions and what not. FUCK!

Really? That's how you contribute to the thread?

Won't even explain why you mean by "glitchy ass game"?

I can tell you I've played this game countless times and never had to replay a mission because of a bug.

witness

Got this in from gamefly last week, took only a couple of days to finish the story, really enjoyed the campaign. It really was the best campaign done in a Halo game to me, it was tight, no BS mind numbing levels (Library, any Arbitor level, or Cortana) or annoying ass Flood, characters I actually enjoyed and cared about (wish we could see what happened to them next), and overall it was just a lot of fun. Oh and fuckin hell Firefight was great, that better be in Reach. It totally made me realize that yes Halo does have the best combat in a FPS, just so much fun.

-viper-

Banned
I'm on third level in the campaign mode. The one with the canyons and the yellow landscape. There are millions of enemies with overpowered weapons and insane armor and I've got jack shit. How the hell am I supposed to kill all these cunts?

Also, it's so easy to get lost in the levels. I press the up button for the objective marker and it tells me to go to some spiral DNA like looking statue. What the fuck am I supposed to do here? I've got no idea where to go.

This game is greatly irritating me. I can't believe it got such good reviews.

I hope Halo 3 is better than this game. This feels incredibly boring and I have no desire to push forward.

I'm trying so hard to like this game, but I can't. Gears Of War feels better in EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE. Even Modern Warfare 2 has twice the single player than ODST. This game feels so boring. D:

Numbers

-viper- said:
I'm on third level in the campaign mode. The one with the canyons and the yellow landscape. There are millions of enemies with overpowered weapons and insane armor and I've got jack shit. How the hell am I supposed to kill all these cunts?

Also, it's so easy to get lost in the levels. I press the up button for the objective marker and it tells me to go to some spiral DNA like looking statue. What the fuck am I supposed to do here? I've got no idea where to go.

I hope Halo 3 is better than this game. This feels incredibly boring and I have no desire to push forward.

I'm trying so hard to like this game, but I can't. Gears Of War feels better in EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE.
Get in a warthog.

Gui_PT

Yeah, it's a vehicle map. I believe you'll have more hogs as you advance and even ghosts, so you always have tons of choices.

As for the other part you're lost at, I don't remember. I'll look into it.

Edit: It seems like it might not be your kind of game. ODST is a beautifully well made game where you have to take your time to appreciate the levels, especially the hub world. You also have to think and look for clues in order to progress.

The games you mentioned are just Go-Forward-And-Kill-Everything kind. Completely different from ODST

big ander

-viper- said:

I'm trying so hard to like this game, but I can't. Gears Of War feels better in EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE. Even Modern Warfare 2 has twice the single player than ODST. This game feels so boring. D:
This will probably be viewed as a fanboy response, but it sounds like you're just really failing to understand the game. I suck hard at Skate. Can barely grab. But I appreciate that it's a pretty good game.
And not to be mean, but it's so easy to figure out where to go on Uplift Reserve. There's literally only one path through the level, if I remember correctly. It's box canyon to box canyon. Just get in the warthog when the shittton of NPCs tell you "let's grab a hog."

GhaleonEB

-viper- said:
If you do choose to go it on foot, they've scattered a couple of lasers, rockets and sniper rifles around the level, you just have to scour a little bit. But it's meant to be a vehicle map; hop in that Warthog at the beginning, swap to a Ghost midway through and then bag a Chopper and tear it up from there.

-viper-

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Yeah, it's a vehicle map. I believe you'll have more hogs as you advance and even ghosts, so you always have tons of choices.

As for the other part you're lost at, I don't remember. I'll look into it.

Edit: It seems like it might not be your kind of game. ODST is a beautifully well made game where you have to take your time to appreciate the levels, especially the hub world. You also have to think and look for clues in order to progress.

The games you mentioned are just Go-Forward-And-Kill-Everything kind. Completely different from ODST
I suppose that's the thing.

I'm not into open world games. I hate the fact I have to walk for seemingly miles to get across the levels.

But anyhow - I'll be happy to retry the game, but given the first few levels, I'm not impressed. Doesn't seem like a particularly exciting game.

As for getting lost - I followed the checkpoint marker. It led me to some statue as I mentioned earlier. I walk to it, nothing happens. Nothing was there either. Maybe the game was broken? I didn't bother retrying the checkpoint to see of it fixed it.

Top Bottom