• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
The spawns on rats nest need to change. they've actuallly turned the spawns that used to be alright to a complete pile of crap that allows spawn killing. woop!

I can't believe I have to go for that annual achievement again. Ah well, I had fun trying to get the achievement.
And Coco! I can't believe you went that high!:lol

Blueblur1

Sometimes I used go into Halo 2's Rumble Training with a couple of friends to enjoy some FFA matches. Apparently with all the boosting going on, I can't do that anymore without being a target for the banhammer, eh? :(

Well, here's some targets for the banhammer. I went into DLC FFA to warm up and encountered four jokers (they were in a party) who decided to drive each other around vehicles whilst talking trash about all the other players. Here are the game stats.

Blueblur1 said:
Sometimes I used go into Halo 2's Rumble Training with a couple of friends to enjoy some FFA matches. Apparently with all the boosting going on, I can't do that anymore without being a target for the banhammer, eh? :(

Well, here's some targets for the banhammer. I went into DLC FFA to warm up and encountered four jokers (they were in a party) who decided to drive each other around vehicles whilst talking trash about all the other players. Here are the game stats.
I've been noticing this has been happening a lot now that we have bigger maps for FFA; consequently these maps will have Warthogs due to their size. I don't mind a good FFA match on Standoff or Rats Nest, but I wish the Warthogs were taken out. I don't know any other purpose they serve other than two people teaming up together and not playing the game properly.

Blueblur1 said:

I don't know if getting the achievements in social matches with friends is receiving a ban. Kind of ruins the idea of "Social" IMO. If they intended everyone to get them legit they should have made it in a RANKED playlist like they did for all the Lone Wolves achievements. Receiving the achievements legit among friends should still be allowed as you are achieving them.

It sounds to me that people who were EXP boosting (anytime, retroactively) are receiving EXP bans.

Blueblur1

Super Johnson said:
I've been noticing this has been happening a lot now that we have bigger maps for FFA; consequently these maps will have Warthogs due to their size. I don't mind a good FFA match on Standoff or Rats Nest, but I wish the Warthogs were taken out. I don't know any other purpose they serve other than two people teaming up together and not playing the game properly.
Reading your post made me realize that I didn't specify that I would go into Rumble Training for competitive matches with my buds. Right before I joined GAF my friends list was down to like 14 people so when 2 were on Rumble Training (and later the unranked Rumble Pit) was a viable option to play against other people and each other without having to worry about some teammate having a negative K/D Ratio.

xxjuicesxx said:
I don't know if getting the achievements in social matches with friends is receiving a ban. Kind of ruins the idea of "Social" IMO. If they intended everyone to get them legit they should have made it in a RANKED playlist like they did for all the Lone Wolves achievements. Receiving the achievements legit among friends should still be allowed as you are achieving them.

It sounds to me that people who were EXP boosting (anytime, retroactively) are receiving EXP bans.

I was thinking the same thing. I (we) could be wrong, but I have a hunch that a few games of you and your friends achievement hunting isn't the purpose for these bans.

Blueblur1

xxjuicesxx said:

I agree. If there is evidence of a group of players constantly going into matches and letting them be killed to help one or two dudes win then ban them all. But if they got the achievements but played a legitimate match for most of the match play time then I don't think they deserve a ban.

GM Bullfrog said:
I was thinking the same thing. I (we) could be wrong, but I have a hunch that a few games of you and your friends achievement hunting isn't the purpose for these bans.

I also feel that its just a better move looking back at the longevity of games. Like does anyone go on Prey and get those multiplayer achievements legit anymore, or PDZ for that matter? I mean there's hardly any players playing now. Its almost impossible to get some of the more obscure game type matches started with full teams.

While I know H3 isn't going to die out anytime soon. I do believe its important that you leave the ability to always get all the achievements. Why should you only be able to get 600/1000 because the online community has moved on to different games? Is playing a game during the right time window an achievement, of course not.

Louis Wu

xxjuicesxx said:
I also feel that its just a better move looking back at the longevity of games. Like does anyone go on Prey and get those multiplayer achievements legit anymore, or PDZ for that matter? I mean there's hardly any players playing now. Its almost impossible to get some of the more obscure game type matches started with full teams.

While I know H3 isn't going to die out anytime soon. I do believe its important that you leave the ability to always get all the achievements. Why should you only be able to get 600/1000 because the online community has moved on to different games? Is playing a game during the right time window an achievement, of course not.

I sort of doubt that when Halo 3 is in the same boat, popularitywise, that PDZ is in right now, that Bungie will be spending any effort at all banning people for getting achievements by working together.

But that's not the case at the moment, is it?

Louis Wu said:
I sort of doubt that when Halo 3 is in the same boat, popularitywise, that PDZ is in right now, that Bungie will be spending any effort at all banning people for getting achievements by working together.

But that's not the case at the moment, is it?

Nope , but the Banhammer is automated right? There's no people individually selecting cheaters unless they are singled out...? (not sure)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
xxjuicesxx said:
Nope , but the Banhammer is automated right? There's no people individually selecting cheaters unless they are singled out...? (not sure)
It's automated. It appears as though it basically just notices when someone's played multiple games with the same party filling up all available slots, in which the same few people won every time. Regardless of folks' intentions, those are the parameters.

Blueblur1

Squad Battle Impressions

For my impressions I’m going to cover 2 facets of matchmaking matches that are the most important. These are the gametype settings and the map and map variants. They determine the experience you have and whether or not you loved or hated that last match you played. Let’s dive right in without too much introductory banter.

Gametype Settings

The gametypes in Squad Battle are solid. They’re the standard matchmaking gametypes everyone’s already accustomed to. All of the changes themselves are included in the map variant settings (via Forge). The only changes to the starting weapons are the Assault Rifle being regulated to being the secondary weapon while the primary starting weapon is the Battle Rifle. Having both of these weapons as you spawn is a huge plus for me because I feel that from the get-go you have two very versatile weapons that can get the job done. This one aspect of Squad Battle makes the playlist worthwhile for me and a definite favorite. While I may use the Battle Rifle more, I definitely value having an AR that I can switch to during a firefight when reloading the BR isn’t a viable option. Or when my target is around the corner attempting to evade me and all I need is a quick spray from the AR to quickly bring him or her down.

Map and Map Variants

This is where Squad Battle and I don’t always agree. Not every map and map variant is going to please everyone but SB has some that feel like they were tossed in because of the need or want for more maps in what could technically be a limited playlist. I’m talking about Construct and Isolation. In my experience, Construct matches usually involve one team taking over the top area and then camping at all the gravity lifts for the remainder of the match. While it does feel great when you’re team is dealing out the pain, it’s terribly frustrating. This occurs because of Construct’s issue with lifts and the motion sensor. As for Isolation, I really don’t have a well constructed argument against it. Every single SB Isolation match I’ve played has been plagued by latency. All of my Isolation matches de-evolved from my team engaging in tactical battles to being preposterously dominated within the first few minutes of the match.

And Isolation isn’t the sole map or map variant that may host that kind of experience. The “Heavy” map variants are already hated by nearly every person I’ve partied up with to play SB. While vehicular mayhem is my cup of tea, getting blasted out of my vehicle by 2 enemy Spartan Lasers simultaneously is not. Currently weapons on Standoff Heavy such as the Spartan Laser respawns after 45 seconds and the Sniper respawns in just over 2 minutes. If a team manages to control these weapons for just a moment they could get a large lead and take out every single vehicle belonging to the other team. It’s not fun; the experience can be described by one word: clusterfuck. And I didn’t even get into what intelligent teams do: spawn kill. The Heavy map variants need work because at the moment it’s very difficult to have a solid match where both teams are neck and neck. Instead it turns into one of my Isolation matches minus the lag.

Besides a few issues, I love Squad Battle. Most matches are lag free and are heavy on BR on BR action. Team work is very effective and there aren’t too many players on the map that at times it feels like it’s a nuisance. And lack of disappearing/reappearing players while you’re trying to take out or defend your flag is always a plus.

sheavyweapons.jpg

Pictured above: The ridiculously fast respawning Laser and quicker than most respawning Sniper.

Azar

My Annual achievement run had a suitably epic ending yesterday.

54046481-Medium.jpg

I was in the lead for the entire race to the finish, but a challenger appears!

54046535-Medium.jpg

DENIED

54046619-Medium.jpg

...oh, shit.

54046730-Medium.jpg

This could be a problem.

54046790-Medium.jpg

He's not going to make it!

54046914-Medium.jpg

What's this? Recovery!

54047038-Medium.jpg

The happy ending.

Merguson

Banned
Self Induced said:
I prefer my fish grilled.

Yum, grilled fish.

I hunger for fried chicken... I will satisfy this hunger later.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk312/mergy/54038820-Full-1.jpg?t=1222487052

This picture is from an (failed) annual run I did with a couple of active and former AJ clan members. This is actually a ranged form. What happened was that one of the clan members had a hammer, and hit a ranged form who was changing form at the moment. It triggered an abnormal bug which resulted in this picture above. (I had to zoom out because it disappeared up close) That was just for a couple of people who wanted to know.

As for those who might ask why the Annual run failed, I jumped out of the ghost at the last minute. Oops.

Spasm

GDJustin said:
When a full clip can't quite seal the deal, we all know that it's all about the melee finisher. What I learned last night is that it isn't just for other spartans, anymore :D :D :D :

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Melee_Explosion/962876

(I'm the one firing the brute shot, at the start)

The melee blew up the hog and gave me a trible kill
That's great. I also like the pushing-it-off-the-edge method.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/The_Slightest_Nudge/901606

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Merguson said:
This picture is from an (failed) annual run I did with a couple of active and former AJ clan members. This is actually a ranged form. What happened was that one of the clan members had a hammer, and hit a ranged form who was changing form at the moment. It triggered an abnormal bug which resulted in this picture above. (I had to zoom out because it disappeared up close) That was just for a couple of people who wanted to know.

Thank you, that was bugging me. Awesome.

EazyB

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Reading your post made me realize that I didn't specify that I would go into Rumble Training for competitive matches with my buds. Right before I joined GAF my friends list was down to like 14 people so when 2 were on Rumble Training (and later the unranked Rumble Pit) was a viable option to play against other people and each other without having to worry about some teammate having a negative K/D Ratio.
Oh come on. When did they ever say joining a game with a full party was boosting? They only care if people are entering games will a bunch of guest who aren't playing or tying a game so that everyone gets exp.

It's games like these you should be worried about:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758695139&player=Total%20Sacrifice
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758710063&player=Total%20Sacrifice

Not these ones:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758905227&player=Total%20Sacrifice

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
EazyB said:
Oh come on. When did they ever say joining a game with a full party was boosting? They only care if people are entering games will a bunch of guest who aren't playing or tying a game so that everyone gets exp.

It's games like these you should be worried about:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758695139&player=Total%20Sacrifice
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758710063&player=Total%20Sacrifice

Not these ones:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=758905227&player=Total%20Sacrifice
Man, this new Banhammer is really doing a number on the community. It's like everyone has dirty laundry that's now getting hung out to dry.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Cocopjojo said:
Man, this new Banhammer is really doing a number on the community. It's like everyone has dirty laundry that's now getting hung out to dry.
Personally, I don't think boosters are ruining the community at all, as they're just doing so with a bunch of guests, anyway.

The real fuckers are those with alt accounts, but I guess there's nothing Bungie can do about that.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
cjelly said:
Personally, I don't think boosters are ruining the community at all, as they're just doing so with a bunch of guests, anyway.

The real fuckers are those with alt accounts, but I guess there's nothing Bungie can do about that.

I think the bigger problem is quitters.

Seriously, ever play a squad battle or btb when everyone but one or two guys on the other team (or your team) quits? Sucks the fun out of the experience completely.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dani said:

Seriously, ever play a squad battle or btb when everyone but one or two guys on the other team (or your team) quits? Sucks the fun out of the experience completely.
Oh, yes, I agree completely. I forgot about quitters.

I almost exclusively play BTB, and there doesn't seem to be a game go by where at least 2 people don't quit during the game. The amount of quitters has increased ten-fold since the update, as well, as people will quit on anything that isn't Avalanche.

EazyB

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
I ain't sayin' it's bad... haha. I find it pretty amusing.
:D
Dani said:

Luckily they're looking into that as well.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Spasm said:
That's great. I also like the pushing-it-off-the-edge method.

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/The_Slightest_Nudge/901606

The thing I like about my clip is that really, meleeing the hog was a pretty stupid thing to do, but since it worked, it makes me look like a genius:lol :lol

*melee*
*warthog explodes*
Double kill! Triple kill! Killjoy!

When in reality, 95 times out of 100, what would happen is the following:

*melee*
(nothing happens... hog sits)
two remaining blue players converge and pwn me.

It was just a panicky "omg I'm out of ammo" move.

Azar

Quitting definitely sucks, though it's also really frustrating to be penalized when half your team has quit, leaving you in a shitty, impossible-to-win scenario that would be no fun in sticking out.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Azar said:
Quitting definitely sucks, though it's also really frustrating to be penalized when half your team has quit, leaving you in a shitty, impossible-to-win scenario that would be no fun in sticking out.

That's the reality of the situation, quiters ruin the experiance of many people, not just a small group and I think if anyone is going to be penalised, it's these people that do so prolificly.

Dirtbag

Blueblur1 said:
Squad Battle Impressions

For my impressions...... (text wall)
I feel mostly the same way as your analysis, though I havent yet played a match on Isolation, so I can't comment on that.

One additional thing - the flag matches on Sandtrap.

I thought the whole idea of Sand Tarp was to make a flag game more reasonable then sandtrap, seems like we are only getting sandtrap matches and not sand tarp matches. And with only 6 players to a team, the flag returns too quickly. It's hard enough to breach the easily defend-able flag room in sandtrap, but should the opposition get an easy stop anywhere near it... good luck on organizing your team to move that flag any further, its just too hard with 6 vs 6.

Also, where is multi-flag standoff?
One of the best maps/mode combo's currently available in matchmaking. Where is it?
Not weighted nearly high enough.

I guess I kind of expected the premiere game modes of squad battle to be, flag valhalla and standoff.

Merguson said:
Yeah I did that a while ago. I can't seem to do it anymore/

One jump that I cannot seem to get down is from bottom to top gold next to the lift. I've done it a couple of times before, but I can't seem to be able to get down a good rhythm to the jump.

Mr Jared

Dani said:
That's the reality of the situation, quiters ruin the experiance of many people, not just a small group and I think if anyone is going to be penalised, it's these people that do so prolificly.

Seriously. A great example is this douche that Super Johnson and I ran into. Baby cried for veto and then bailed as soon as he saw what popped up.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=BAYAREA MOB 650

-221 XP penalties. Nice! Somehow, we managed to run out the clock for the most awesome tie ever.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=759824697&player=Mr Jared

Johnson scored a double with 15 seconds remaining. I started shouting "HIDE! HIDE!" :lol

MIMIC

Banned
I almost had one of those sniper suicides today. But instead of committing suicide, I betrayed a guy who was behind me. :lol

Maybe I should have died, too. He was pretty much directly behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom