• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KevinRo said:
It's the same fucking game dax just an added Campaign experience. .
Halo 3: ODST will include a variety of new multiplayer maps that apply to Halo 3. Some of these maps are actually part of the Mythic Map Pack that will initially be released on Xbox LIVE Marketplace early next year. This multiplayer content is "Halo 3" in nature, meaning you will not be playing Slayer, CTF or other traditional favorites as anything other than a Spartan or Elite.

In addition, the core ODST campaign can still be experienced cooperatively with up to four players, including saved films, screenshots, campaign scoring and all the great functionality Halo fans have come to enjoy. Beyond that, we're keeping mum on any other multiplayer components of Halo 3: ODST.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/208610/halo-3-odst-interview-with-bungies-joseph-staten/

Kibbles

20h82u8.jpg

Assuming its real, why do they have to add all the extra textures? Midship was a very fluid map, and I never had any frame rate issues with it. I already get occasional frame rate drops on Halo 3, all the extra textures on this map sure won't help.

Hopefully this map plays the same way, and doesn't end up ruining a classic like Blackout did.
:lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
KevinRo said:
Maybe if you weren't so bad you would get your 50 sooner and wouldn't play 50,000 ranked games nub.

lol, I just gotta stop playing with you and I'll win more often. You can't help but laugh your ass off at nothing when we play. Actually, that kid who sounded like A-Rod was pretty funny lol

KevinRo

Dax01 said:

uhm, shishka actually getting back to work and updating matchmaking doesn't mean a whole new matchmaking component.

seriously though, they could rework the ranking system and add like 2 or 3 new weapons. wow, thats not a big freaking deal. anything more would require a humongous update, small shit, they probably already have the system to roll out additional weapons in halo3, they just never used it.

*edit*

KIBBLES the texture thing out OLD. everyone knows plasma nades are default therefore no need to worry.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What a crappy day. I just got back from the Honda dealer and I'm in the hole for 800 bucks because I took off the bumper of my Honda when I backed into a texture.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cocopjojo said:
Oh come on. :lol

How substantial will it be though? Anything big that changes Halo 3 multiplayer that comes out with ODST will have to be available for Halo 3 right?. Could it be something like Armor Permutations or new equipment? Will Microsoft try to sell it to non-ODST buyers? Could it be something as substantial as a new mode like Custom games lobby? Is something like that even technically possible as DLC or a patch for Halo 3? My opinion is that we won't get anything really worth getting excited about. I hope I'm wrong though.

kylej

Banned
Shishka is horrible.

Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos is one of the best songs.

Nintendo 64 manuals smelled so good.

Thank you.

Voltron64

OuterWorldVoice said:
What a crappy day. I just got back from the Honda dealer and I'm in the hole for 800 bucks because I took off the bumper of my Honda when I backed into a texture.
I seriously jammed my finger against a texture yesterday and it hurt like a motha. We live in a scary world with way too many textures.

OuterWorldVoice said:

You should have gone with Progressive's all new texture coverage bonus.

Kibbles

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm not exactly sure why it's being discussed but I would instantly buy any Halo 3 Map Pack that included Midship. Seriously.
You'll have to buy ODST.
OuterWorldVoice said:
:lol :lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Voltron64 said:
$59.99 believe. :\
I am, of course, planning on buying ODST Day 1, but I hadn't really considered til now that MS will be again screwing with folks. Mythic Part 1 came first with Halo Wars (3 maps, $79.99) and Mythic Part 2 will only be available initially with Halo 3: ODST (the latter three maps, $59.99).

Sibylus

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I'm guessing 32 polygons for a new bumper isn't in your budget?

kylej

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
I am, of course, planning on buying ODST Day 1, but I hadn't really considered til now that MS will be again screwing with folks. Mythic Part 1 came first with Halo Wars ($79.99) and Mythic Part 2 will only be available initially with Halo 3: ODST ($59.99).

Yeah Microsoft is the one developing that 2 hour long campaign expansion fuckkk themmmmmmmmmm

KevinRo

Listen people, PLASMA NADES + TEXTURES = NO BOUNCE> YES NO FUCKING BOUNCE

i can't believe i'm complaining about people complaining about other people complaining.

ENOUGH RAGGHAWG

Kibbles

backflip10019 said:
Are we all certain that ODST will retail at $60? Personally, I'm hoping that it will only cost around $40 as it is technically only an add-on.
I'm expecting it to be $40 as well, since Bungie said they don't consider it to be a full-priced title. However, what Bungie considers, isn't necessarily what Microsoft considers.

What are the chances that they do a limited edition ODST version that includes those three exclusive maps and then they will become available on the marketplace later.. alas Halo Wars.

I would say those chances are good.

Thermite

backflip10019 said:
Are we all certain that ODST will retail at $60? Personally, I'm hoping that it will only cost around $40 as it is technically only an add-on.

Bungie has been saying since this was announced that their plan was not to have this as the same prices other full retail games are ($60), because they don't look at it as such. It'll probably end up around the $40 range, but who knows with Microsoft involved.

t4ng0

Thermite said:
Bungie has been saying since this was announced that their plan was not to have this as the same prices other full retail games are ($60), because they don't look at it as such. It'll probably end up around the $40 range, but who knows with Microsoft involved.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh microsoft...

probably justify the price by having the maps included etc.

Popped in Halo 3 today after about a year of not playing. My skills were rusty, but I still managed to perform adequately. I would love to play with you guys, though, and not randoms, since quitting still seems to be a major problem in matchmaking. I already have some of you on my friends list, but I could always use more.

I don't have the Mythic map pack, however, so that may be a problem with joining your custom games. :p It was a surprise seeing the new ranking system, something I still don't quite understand.

EazyB

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
I am, of course, planning on buying ODST Day 1, but I hadn't really considered til now that MS will be again screwing with folks. Mythic Part 1 came first with Halo Wars (3 maps, $79.99) and Mythic Part 2 will only be available initially with Halo 3: ODST (the latter three maps, $59.99).
You'd have to assume the maps would come out after a set amount of time. If that's not the case then matchmaking will be even more fucked up and the universe will collapse on itself (it's been scientifically proven that MM could not get any worse).
Jack Scofield said:
Popped in Halo 3 today after about a year of not playing. My skills were rusty, but I still managed to perform adequately. I would love to play with you guys, though, and not randoms, since quitting still seems to be a major problem in matchmaking. I already have some of you on my friends list, but I could always use more.

I don't have the Mythic map pack, however, so that may be a problem with joining your custom games. :p It was a surprise seeing the new ranking system, something I still don't quite understand.
Cool, you're still on my friends list so if I see ya on I'll throw you an invite.

DualX

Just a quick update on the status of my map.

For obvious reasons, it's no longer going to be a recreation of Terminal (well in fact, it wasn't going to be all that similar regardless especially without the runaway train). It's just now going to be an inspired level just like I made one with Lockout via Foundry.

After spending several hours (just on the offensive base which I posted a picture of before), I found that I've made several mistakes and had to start over from scratch and I'm kinda glad I did because of the improvements that are being made are working out a lot better.

I've also had an interesting alternative to the train that I think would work if I'm able to pull it off, and if I have enough items left over. How about an insanely fast rolling killball which is set on a specific respawn timer?

Portions completed:
-Offensive Base
-Side tunnel connected to the Offensive Base

Currently Working on:
-Road/Pathway for Warthog
-Area surrounding Offensive Base and the bridge to Garage

soldat7

Holy cow. I'm sure you guys have seen this (days ago) but wow:

http://www.curtisagency.com/news.php

and what Frankie had to say about it:

Frankie said:
It's going to be a trilogy. A connected universe that will remain faithful to the scale and mysteries, while exploring the detail and challenges of a VERY powerful culture. This won't be some skirt-raising exercise in Forerunner populist-ism.

Folks know way more about Forerunners than you think, but we're definitely going to respect that strange sense of wonder and awe that Bungie infused from day one.

It will be BIG Greg Bear fiction in a faintly familiar place, but one that's full of surprises. Think Eon.

I kinda want the Forerunner to remain a mystery. :|

I wonder if this project relates to any of the Halo projects MS has cooking???

DualX2 said:
I've also had an interesting alternative to the train that I think would work if I'm able to pull it off, and if I have enough items left over. How about an insanely fast rolling killball which is set on a specific respawn timer?

Is that possible? Sounds sweet if so.

DualX

Grimm Fandango said:
Is that possible? Sounds sweet if so.
Well I was thinking about having it spawn in the air where it would drop down, hit a ramp to give it the direction that I want and then let it fly with grav lifts. I hope it'll work, never tried it before.

Kibbles

The infamous "Halo: Blue" from Wal-Mart is Halo ODST. I'm looking at a pdf file on Halo 3 ODST and the folder it says to go to for the files contained within (nothing new) is named "Halo Atlas (BLUE)". Also it says "Palette: Halo Blue". Found on MicrosoftProSource.

Then somewhere else...
Key Elements of the Brand:
  • Halo Blue
  • ODST is the hero; destroyed New Mombasa is backdrop

DualX2 said:
Well I was thinking about having it spawn in the air where it would drop down, hit a ramp to give it the direction that I want and then let it fly with grav lifts. I hope it'll work, never tried it before.

Hm not sure if they will drop like that. I've seen killballs floating in the air before.

Blueblur1

Kibbles said:
CaLL Me Zeny, putting up more fakes? He's got an actual video now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9Vat3kzas

Looks like he just slow-moed a part of the trailer and added music over it, and some nice editing. He's even got the Bungie logo. More convincing than the slideshow, but he already ruined it.
All right! Leaks are what the internet was made for, baby. I can't wait to see more trickle out throughout the next few months.

Now things are getting interesting.

Stinkles

DualX2 said:
Just a quick update on the status of my map.

For obvious reasons, it's no longer going to be a recreation of Terminal (well in fact, it wasn't going to be all that similar regardless especially without the runaway train).

Couldn't you bounce a large object through a combo of teleports and grav lifts? A runaway Hog would be every bit as deadly as a train.

GhaleonEB

Two Things.

Thing One.

ODST's MP content. We know the game will ship with Halo 3's full MP map set and features, and is exactly Halo 3's MP with all the maps. We also know the campaign features of saved films, four player co-op, etc. also carry over to the new campaign.

What I expect is that Bungie will not leave the bar there. With every game they have put out, they've pushed the bar higher. They're doing that with the hub based world, and apparently with deeper stats integration on b.net. But I'd be simply shocked if they left the campaign features at "just" the Halo 3 feature set (which is still the benchmark for feature sets in console games, period, IMO). It may be an expansion, and they may be reworking their mission structure, but I think it would be very un-Bungie to leave it at that.

Thing Two.

Are there regular GAF customs nights? I've polished Entrenched as much as I can, and I'd like to gather up three saved films for submission to Atlas, with a 6v6 or higher if possible. I've tweaked the map since the last game, so I can't use that one. So I'd love some help to give it a shot.

EazyB

Banned
DualX2 said:
If you pay me in MS points I'll volunteer to drive a chopper back and forth on your map.

DualX

OuterWorldVoice said:
Couldn't you bounce a large object through a combo of teleports and grav lifts? A runaway Hog would be every bit as deadly as a train.
What objects can go through teleports? And I like the hog idea, but I want something big flying through that will make you say "HOLY SHIT" when you just barely dodge it. A Scorpion perhaps? lol

EazyB said:
If you pay me in MS points I'll volunteer to drive a chopper back and forth on your map.
Sold!

KevinRo

DualX2 said:
What objects can go through teleports? And I like the hog idea, but I want something big flying through that will make you say "HOLY SHIT" when you just barely dodge it. A Scorpion perhaps? lol

Sold!

Spawn Golf Ball on Ramp, lead ramp to series of mancannons in loop. PROFIT

*edit*

fuck! a lab full of open computers and this dirty bitch has to come sit next to me. stop scratchin ur nasty ass weave bitch, fuck i hate school.

Stinkles

DualX2 said:

Sold!

Yeah, my bad - only bipeds can go through teleports - but you could certainly bounce stuff.

Blueblur1

KevinRo said:
Spawn Golf Ball on Ramp, lead ramp to series of mancannons in loop. PROFIT

*edit*

fuck! a lab full of open computers and this dirty bitch has to come sit next to me. stop scratchin ur nasty ass weave bitch, fuck i hate school.
:lol :lol :lol

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:
Two Things.

Thing One.

ODST's MP content. We know the game will ship with Halo 3's full MP map set and features, and is exactly Halo 3's MP with all the maps. We also know the campaign features of saved films, four player co-op, etc. also carry over to the new campaign.

What I expect is that Bungie will not leave the bar there. With every game they have put out, they've pushed the bar higher. They're doing that with the hub based world, and apparently with deeper stats integration on b.net. But I'd be simply shocked if they left the campaign features at "just" the Halo 3 feature set (which is still the benchmark for feature sets in console games, period, IMO). It may be an expansion, and they may be reworking their mission structure, but I think it would be very un-Bungie to leave it at that.

Thing Two.

Are there regular GAF customs nights? I've polished Entrenched as much as I can, and I'd like to gather up three saved films for submission to Atlas, with a 6v6 or higher if possible. I've tweaked the map since the last game, so I can't use that one. So I'd love some help to give it a shot.
sat nights
maybe we can get some in the middle of the week sometime (wednesday?)

EDIT reminds me i want to try neutral bomb on sanctum as well and maybe some ffa games

DualX

Perfect idea. Two or three random objects will be chosen to be flying pieces of death.

What those objects are exactly... TBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom