• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've have mixed feelings on no BR also. On one end, it is a great MP and SP tool. The pistol however looks really cool and I will have to make adjustments because it is no BR. However, my BR equivalent is the sniper rifle and that is still in the game, so will I miss the BR, a little, instead I'll find myself a sniper and no-scope some Brutes, it is much more satisfying than the BR.

Also, where art though Vidoc? I must see it and all of its glory today!!!

GhaleonEB said:
That's a small part of it, yeah.

The other part is, I like campaign to utterly kick my ass. I used to do runs on Legendary, solo, with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Catch and a few other skulls turned on. I'd spend hours fighting seemingly impossible fights with what scraps of weapons I had left, savoring those moments of finding new strategies that worked with what I could find on the battlefield. (Tsavo Highway was the map I did this the most on.) I enjoy this because the AI in Halo makes it fair - I never had the sense I was being cheated, and could always pinpoint my death to a mistake I made.

That's basically Firefight, stretched out into a giant dynamic battle rather than the handful of encounters I would run through. Bungie keeps saying doing Legendary will be a slaughter. I'm planning to give it some quality time solo. I might make it ten minutes each run, but I'll love every one of them.
Halo 1 kicked my ass solo on Legendary.

xxjuicesxx said:
Bullshit junior, its your top tool of destruction. You love nothing more than popping into some social slayer and donging on some BK's 4 head shots and its on to your next victim.
That just shows that the BR is the most useful weapon all around when it comes to MP, which I have acknowledged before.

GhaleonEB

Captain Blood said:
You got one less AR kill than I got BR kill?
And four more kills overall. The power of the AR.

Dax01 said:
Halo 1 kicked my ass solo on Legendary.
I went through Halo 1 on Legendary solo over 30 times. Tough, but very do-able, in large part because it became more predictable. Learning the exact trigger points and spawn locations of every wave meant I could plan ahead accordingly. No such ability in Firefight.

I think the most fun I had was doing Assault on the Control Room on Legendary solo with no vehicles. Took me about a week to crack that nut.

GhaleonEB said:
I went through Halo 1 on Legendary solo over 30 times. Tough, but very do-able, in large part because it became more predictable. Learning the exact trigger points and spawn locations of every wave meant I could plan ahead accordingly. No such ability in Firefight.

I got up to Truth and Reconciliation and couldn't proceed any further. Didn't have a pistol, and all I had was a sniper and a plasma rifle I think. I remember talking about it in this thread.

I think the most fun I had was doing Assault on the Control Room on Legendary solo with no vehicles. Took me about a week to crack that nut.
How did you take out all the enemy Wraiths? If my memory is correct, there aren't a lot of Rockets on AotCR.

Dax01 said:
That just shows that the BR is the most useful weapon all around when it comes to MP, which I have acknowledged before.

Jesus you're in love with a gun and you can't even tell. All these feelings must be so new to you.

feel

Louis Wu said:
itsamiracle.jpg
9f6912dc13eae5389b645f9de8c66b75c54744f5_m.gif

Going to use that as my MSN pic for a couple days.

I'm glad there is no BR in ODST; I have to agree with the arguement of it becoming bland and easy to stand somewere high up and rain down upon some poor brutes with god's gift to good halo players.
I do like to mix it up a bit with weapons, always fun... unless it's a needler or an AR... I hate those so much.

Just as long as Reach has a BR/equivalent... I will be fine.

By the looks of that nice, long barrel (front and centre) that gun is most definitely built for accuracy.
halo-reach-leak-bungienet.jpg

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
How did you take out all the enemy Wraiths? If my memory is correct, there aren't a lot of Rockets on AotCR.
Not a lot, but there's enough. I had to juggle the pistol, sniper and rockets along half the level to have them handy when I needed them. There's rocket ammo partway through the level that's only handy if you drag it along.

I also killed one Wraith with the pistol.

GhaleonEB said:
Not a lot, but there's enough. I had to juggle the pistol, sniper and rockets along half the level to have them handy when I needed them. There's rocket ammo partway through the level that's only handy if you drag it along.

I also killed one Wraith with the pistol.

I juggled them through half the level too. Yeah, what was with that rocket ammo?
Though I did make a few long journeys back when I wasted a few rockets.

Bravo on the pistol kill :)

Edit: I miss CE... I might have to go play through it again. Few months early this time, I usually play it every 6 months or so to get my CE fix.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
GhaleonEB said:
The other part is, I like campaign to utterly kick my ass. I used to do runs on Legendary, solo, with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Catch and a few other skulls turned on. I'd spend hours fighting seemingly impossible fights with what scraps of weapons I had left, savoring those moments of finding new strategies that worked with what I could find on the battlefield. (Tsavo Highway was the map I did this the most on.) I enjoy this because the AI in Halo makes it fair - I never had the sense I was being cheated, and could always pinpoint my death to a mistake I made.

I do this too, but I also like to turn on Famine. Famine changes things significantly to the point where I was using up the ammo of every weapon on the ground. I expect similar experiences in Firefight.

Striker

Dax01 said:
There's plenty. You get the Rockets first and destroy the Ghost, Shade, and Wraith. There is plenty of rocket-ammo lying on the ground throughout the level. Lots of Sniper ammo, as well.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DiabolicalBagel said:
By the looks of that nice, long barrel (front and centre) that gun is most definitely built for accuracy.
http://scrawlfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/halo-reach-leak-bungienet.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Nah, that's just the Long-range AR.

EazyB

Banned
DiabolicalBagel said:
I'm glad there is no BR in ODST; I have to agree with the arguement of it becoming bland and easy to stand somewere high up and rain down upon some poor brutes with god's gift to good halo players.
I do like to mix it up a bit with weapons, always fun... unless it's a needler or an AR... I hate those so much.
If the covie are as aggressive as Bungie's advertised than they wouldn't have to worry about people doing that. It takes a shitload of BR shots to take down a brute on legendary anyways. Like Kylej said, it seems like an artificial difficulty bump to have to use one of Halo's many CQC weapons.

Long range:
Pistol
Carbine
Sniper
Covie Snipe

Close range:
Shotgun
hammer
sword
mauler
AR
spiker
brute shot
plasma rifle
smg
melee

The only reason people gravitate to the BR so much is because it's one of the very few long range weapons. Bungie has a million variants of CQC weapons and very few other weapons. If it was like CoD and had many more variants of BRs than people wouldn't be upset about losing one of them and wouldn't complain about it being a single powerful weapon. I'm all for variety, but when the Halo 3 sandbox has no variety amongst its long range weapons, than just make sure its few long range weapons are plentiful.

I know I'm not the only gamer that plays Halo. That many more people than myself enjoy crouching in a corner staring at their radar until they can get their super lung on. They're covered, they always have their AR in MP and the SMG or one of the million other CQC equivalents in ODST, so throw me, the minority that appreciates steady reticule, a fucking bone.

DiabolicalBagel said:

My cynical interpretation of the pic:
* The person in the center has the new staple of Halo 3 weapons - the AR. It has a long scope too
* Guy on the left has a standing turret - spray away brother!
* Center left is touting the neutered BR (the ODST pistol) - scope and shoot, just hope the large spread lets you hit em
* Center right gets a knife that act like the sword - lunge my man, lung
* Mr. Right gets the sniper, the only saving grace of the arsenal. Lord knows how they'll neuter it to let the CQC guys get close enough to throw a pile of bullets at him

I like to think I'm being incredibly hyperbolic but with the way things are looking, the aimless crowd is winning over.

GhaleonEB

What I really find amusing in this whole discussion is it's not as if Bungie yanked the BR and said, there yo go, have a nice day.

They, in a throwback to Halo 1, swapped it with the pistol, which while different in form essentially serves the same function: a very powerful mid to long range, 2x scoped headshot-capable weapon. Which is funny, because everyone lost it when the pistol was yanked for the BR. Now the BR is yanked back for a new pistol.

Here's hoping everyone loves the pistol again only to lose it for a slighly modified BR, so we can have the Halo 1 pistol vs. Halo 2 BR vs. Halo 3 BR vs. ODST pistol vs. Reach BR debate.

EazyB said:
I like to think I'm being incredibly hyperbolic but with the way things are looking, the aimless crowd is winning over.
I still don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Was there some recent development I'm not aware of? :lol

NOKYARD

Dax01 said:
I got up to Truth and Reconciliation and couldn't proceed any further.
On my first Halo CE Legendary play through, it took me longer to finish the 'Into the Belly of the Beast' chapter, than to finish the entire Halo 3 Legendary Campaign.

A week later i learned about the noob combo.

and, does everyone forget that, as wonderful and glorious as it was, the Halo CE pistol was a mistake and was never intended for MM. And now some people can do nothing but yell at Bungie for not repeating the mistake with every subsequent game they make.

EazyB said:
The only reason people gravitate to the BR so much is because it's one of the very few long range weapons. Bungie has a million variants of CQC weapons and very few other weapons. If it was like CoD and had many more variants of BRs than people wouldn't be upset about losing one of them and wouldn't complain about it being a single powerful weapon. I'm all for variety, but when the Halo 3 sandbox has no variety amongst its long range weapons, than just make sure its few long range weapons are plentiful.

Great point. The overall lack of medium-to-long range weapons in the huge arsenal makes the disappearance of one medium-to-long range rifle a significant problem in what players are used to being offered from the 'Halo experience' as Bungie themselves brand it.

What people are used to seeing in that range of weaponry is now 20% lacking. That is a large loss in terms of an entire area of experience.

I'm a huge fan of creating a new experience, but if their definition of 'new' is the complete disparity of an entire part of the game's experience, it seems deficient in my opinion, not fresh (specifically in this realm).

GhaleonEB said:
What I really find amusing in this whole discussion is it's not as if Bungie yanked the BR and said, there yo go, have a nice day.

They, in a throwback to Halo 1, swapped it with the pistol, which while different in form essentially serves the same function: a very powerful mid to long range, 2x scoped headshot-capable weapon. Which is funny, because everyone lost it when the pistol was yanked for the BR. Now the BR is yanked back for a new pistol.

Here's hoping everyone loves the pistol again only to lose it for a slighly modified BR, so we can have the Halo 1 pistol vs. Halo 2 BR vs. Halo 3 BR vs. ODST pistol vs. Reach BR debate.

I still don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Was there some recent development I'm not aware of? :lol

I think everyone was pretty excited about the new pistol until reports started coming back that it in no way makes up for a lack of BR. I haven't played yet and am still holding judgment but that is just what I have been hearing and for me that is a bummer.

Booshka

The Pistol in ODST reminds me mostly of the Halo 2 pistol (before it was patched) with a scope, which doesn't compare to a BR, Carbine, or Halo CE pistol.

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I think everyone was pretty excited about the new pistol until reports started coming back that it in no way makes up for a lack of BR. I haven't played yet and am still holding judgment but that is just what I have been hearing and for me that is a bummer.
Exactly, it's nice enough to hear from the press and Bungie employees that the pistol rocks, but lets face it, none of them could BR their way out of a paper bag. That's fine, it's why there are a million CQC weapons for them to fall back on. It's impressions from Nutter and Devin, both with Ph.D's in the field of the BR, that make it seem like this new pistol is far from the BR let alone the CE pistol I was under the impression it was emulating.

EazyB said:
I know I'm not the only gamer that plays Halo. That many more people than myself enjoy crouching in a corner staring at their radar until they can get their super lung on. They're covered, they always have their AR in MP and the SMG or one of the million other CQC equivalents in ODST, so throw me, the minority that appreciates steady reticule, a fucking bone.

This. Amen.

There needs to be several BR/carbine-esque weapons in my opinion. I don't know what that would do to my beloved BR and it's importance in play but it would be far better than adding yet more CQC shit.

Also... you bring forth much sadness in me with your 'It's an AR not a BR dealio'
*cries*
Wait... it's pre-shit-AR era. Welcome back, good AR.

I still want a BR equivalent. >.>

EazyB said:
Long range:
Sniper
Covie Snipe

Medium to long range:
Carbine
M6C
Spartan Laser

Medium range:
Carbine
M6C

Medium to close range (some are more effective than others):
Assault Rifle
Silenced SMG
M6C
Brute Shot

Close range:
Shotgun
hammer
sword
mauler
spiker
plasma rifle
melee

Fixed your list assuming that you were talking about ODST since the BR isn't in it. If you were talking about Halo 3, it's largely the same.

The only reason people gravitate to the BR so much is because it's one of the very few long range weapons.

People gravitate to the BR in Halo 3 MP because it's, overall, the best weapon to use given it's effectiveness at medium range.

I'm all for variety, but when the Halo 3 sandbox has no variety amongst its long range weapons, than just make sure its few long range weapons are plentiful.

What other guns are long range other than snipers? You want a gun that shoots a bullet that's red or something?

As Ghal said earlier, what are you talking about? It just seems with that you were being cynical just to be cynical.

Dax01 said:
Fixed your list assuming that you were talking about ODST since the BR isn't in it. If you were talking about Halo 3, it's largely the same.

...and I've fixed your list:

Insanely ridiculous long range:
Spartan laser
Melee lunge

Long range:
Sniper
Bastard gun (Beam rifle)
Melee lunge (what really happens)

Medium to long range:
Carbine
M6C

Medium range:
Carbine
M6C
Silenced SMG (in 2 shot bursts only of course)

Medium to close range (some are more effective than others):
Assault Rifle
Carbine (if you are not incompetent)
Silenced SMG
M6C
Brute Shot
Plasma rifle

Close range:
Shotgun
Hammer
Sword
Mauler
Spiker
Plasma rifle
Melee lunge (what's supposed to happen)

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
I'm deathly weary of this debate. But I have two brief and (hopefully) final comments on it, until I've played ODST and can speak from experience.

First, in Halo 1 you had two weapons that fall into your "long range" category: the pistol and the sniper rifle.

In Halo 2, you had four: the BR, Carbine, sniper rifle and beam rifle

In Halo 3, you had four: the BR, Carbine, sniper rifle and beam rifle

In ODST, you have four: the pistol, the Carbine, sniper rifle and beam rifle (with the new SMG straddling a middle ground)

I'm still struggling to understand how your precious long range weapons are under assault.

Second, there are more short-range weapons because shooting is one of three methods of attack in Halo, the other two being grenades and mêlée. The entire point behind more closer range weapons is to encourage close-quarters combat, which is where the other two legs of the tripod are located. The more you push players apart with long-range weapons, the more you reduce the other two methods of attack.

And then Halo stops being Halo.

I realize that you may be fully aware of this, and are in fact consciously lobbying for it. Which is fine. You are advocating that Halo move toward what other shooters focus on. There's a reason I play Halo and not most other shooters, and it's what you are advocating for.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
DiabolicalBagel said:

That's a silenced AR.

Speaking of which, I'm going to get the Fall of Reach novel today. I really hope I get serious with one fucking book in my life and read the whole thing. :lol

Edit: Honestly, as much as I love the BR til death (or ODST) do us part, it really doesn't matter to me that it's not in ODST for one simple reason: the entirety of ODST is comprised of facing the AI, not actual people over Xbox LIVE.

But here's to hoping my love and I will re-unite in Reach, only to have better astetics and function more consistently this time around.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm still struggling to understand how your precious long range weapons are under assault.

Second, there are more short-range weapons because shooting is one of three methods of attack in Halo, the other two being grenades and mêlée. The entire point behind more closer range weapons is to encourage close-quarters combat, which is where the other two legs of the tripod are located. The more you push players apart with long-range weapons, the more you reduce the other two methods of attack.

I realize that you may be fully aware of this, and are in fact consciously lobbying for it. Which is fine. You are advocating that Halo move toward what other shooters focus on. There's a reason I play Halo and not most other shooters, and it's what you are advocating for.
All of this.

And now I have to show off this. The game went 50 - 0, but what's significant is the other team was actually trying. I felt sorry for them. Film's up in my fileshare. I'll render it later.

Dax01 said:
All of this.

And now I have to show off this. The game went 50 - 0, but what's significant is the other team was actually trying. I felt sorry for them. Film's up in my fileshare. I'll render it later.

Please tell me your not bragging about that, and the Banshee, seriously?

EazyB said:
Exactly, it's nice enough to hear from the press and Bungie employees that the pistol rocks, but lets face it, none of them could BR their way out of a paper bag. That's fine, it's why there are a million CQC weapons for them to fall back on. It's impressions from Nutter and Devin, both with Ph.D's in the field of the BR, that make it seem like this new pistol is far from the BR let alone the CE pistol I was under the impression it was emulating.

My BR Ph.D was pulled due to malpractice :(

Dax01 said:

Bubble is the only piece of equipment boys rejoice!

kylej said:
How long until you fly to Ghaleon's house and give him a handjob?
I'm just agreeing with what he is saying. What's wrong with that?

CrazedArabMan said:
Tell me how many games in which your team went 50-0 and what gives you the implication that I was bragging about it?

Nutter

DM. Totally awesome roles! There’s only the one Bubble Shield

That is very very good to hear. For a second there from the video's and talk on the net it seemed like there would be more than just 1 item.

Striker

kylej said:
I'm stunned it hasn't happened.

CrazedArabMan said:
That's pro, bro. Sitting high waiting for players to spawn is the way to be.

4v4/5v5 Team Slayer on a huge map like that is pretty redundant, but what else is new for MM these days.

Dax01 said:
what gives you the implication that I was bragging about it?
Dax01 said:
And now I have to show off this.

The term 'show off' most commonly used to convey a certain pride in one's accomplishments.

Still... they seriously couldn't get one kill. Wow, they should go back to CoD/Gears/Pokemon/WiiFit.

DiabolicalBagel said:
The term 'show off' most commonly used to convey a certain pride in one's accomplishments.

Still... they seriously couldn't get one kill. Wow, they should go back to CoD/Gears/Pokemon/WiiFit.
Right. Didn't mean it that way.

Dax01 said:
Tell me how many games in which your team went 50-0 and what gives you the implication that I was bragging about it?

You put the film in your fileshare with a description of

"My best game on Valhalla. These guys were actually trying, too. I felt sorry for them. :("

Yeah you felt sorry for them but that didn't stop you from calling it your best game ever on Valhalla. Plus your ToD was a Banshee in a game where the other team obviously sucked. I've had my games where we went 50-1 or something like that, but we'll try to have fun with the other team, by driving them around in warthogs and junk or messing around, not actually full blown using a vehicle which can be overpowering if the other team doesn't know what to do.

Plus you actually said "show off" in your post. I'm glad you got that many kills but come on, putting the video up in your fileshare is a little too much for a game like that. Also those kids probably should not play Halo again because they couldn't get one kill.

kylej said:

:lol :lol :lol
I was thinking the same thing.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
EazyB said:

You could tell from the gameplay videos coming out of E3 and subsequent media that the whole comparison of the ODST M6C to the HCE M6D was purely hyperbolic. When you constantly see Bungie/Media stripping brutes with the SMG then switching to the M6C to finish them off; it was pretty evident it wasn't in the same realm as the M6D.

@Nokyard, you know there are still plenty of people to this day that swear that the M6D's characteristics in HCE's multiplayer was intentional. There is a guy (named 'Hitzel', I believe) who floats around some of the forums who apparently spoke to John Howard (before FASA imploded) who reportedly got him to go on record that the M6D's abilities were planned for HCE's MP aspect.

Here's hoping that in the Forge feature for Reach you can adjust single weapon damage however you want so you can possibly make the Carbine work like the M6D in Customs if that's your thing.

~B.B.

*edit*

JK. To make all the people stop whining, “We want Midship,” and get back to whining about important things like BRs and Pistols.

It's like they can peer into our very souls!!

CrazedArabMan said:
You put the film in your fileshare with a description of

"My best game on Valhalla. These guys were actually trying, too. I felt sorry for them. :("

Yeah you felt sorry for them but that didn't stop you from calling it your best game ever on Valhalla.
What does being truthful have to be with feeling sorry for them? I've never gone twenty and zero on Valhalla before, so as far as I'm concerned, it's my best game on Valhalla.
Plus your ToD was a Banshee in a game where the other team obviously sucked. I've had my games where we went 50-1 or something like that, but we'll try to have fun with the other team, by driving them around in warthogs and junk or messing around, not actually full blown using a vehicle which can be overpowering if the other team doesn't know what to do.

Plus you actually said "show off" in your post. I'm glad you got that many kills but come on, putting the video up in your fileshare is a little too much for a game like that.

You're taking this way more seriously than you should. I didn't mean to give off the implication that I was bragging about anything, it's just that I've never had a game that went 50-0.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It's obvious we enjoy separate things out of our Halo experience. I forgot you were the one that coined the term "map movement" though, I still don't understand how that works. Long range weapon starts don't negate the other two pillars of the Halo experience, it just puts them where they belong, below the main pillar. It's a first person shooter, of course it should have an overwhelming majority of shooting. Melee attacks and grenades should be brief, punctual spikes in between the shooting, not equally up there. Every time I play a game on Orbital (where on this map more than any other the balance between the three is most equal) I wanna rip my dick in half when many of the tools of destruction are the elbow and grenades. This isn't street fighter 4, the melee combat is passable but should never even encroach upon the majority of the combat. Same with grenades, they play still play a large roll in long range combat, it's just you have to throw it very precisely and ready your BR for the headshot. Every time a match on orbital devolves into a game of throw the grenade at the red dot I weep into my headset.

Shooting first, grenades and melees at a distant second.

And for vs AI experience you'd think it wouldn't matter if I wanted to play the game at long range, but it seems like they're forcing us to enjoy what you do. Forcing me by starting players with a neutered BR and scrounging for CQC weapons once ammo for it inevitably runs out.

kylej said:
Captain Blood said:
My BR Ph.D was pulled due to malpractice :(
GhaleonEB said:
Do me a favor, Dax. Disagree with me on something. Please.

I mean, I don't know how to tell you this but you care about me too much, and I'm married. I just can't reciprocate. I took down my avatar and you sent me worried PMs and lamented the lost Soffish in the thread multiple times. You care about my avatar more than I do.
:lol
I rarely ever feel embarassed for Dax but this is one of those rare occasions.

They sure made Midship look purty, holy shit.

JK. I seem to remember Shotty Flag being especially fun in Halo 2.
Please don't.

DM. Halo 3 doesn’t allow us to start with Plasma Rifles.
BRs, Dan, Halo 3 allows us to start with BRs.
*Doesn't see a single BR in any of the pics*
Whelp AR starts on Midship will be a blast. I'm gunna go practice my simultaneous beatdowns now.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
All of this.

I mean, I don't know how to tell you this but you care about me too much, and I'm married. I just can't reciprocate. I took down my avatar and you sent me worried PMs and lamented the lost Soffish in the thread multiple times. You care about my avatar more than I do.

Dax01 said:
What does being truthful have to be with feeling sorry for them? I've never gone twenty and zero on Valhalla before, so as far as I'm concerned, it's my best game on Valhalla.

You're taking this way more seriously than you should. I didn't mean to give off the implication that I was bragging about anything, it's just that I've never had a game that went 50-0.

Just saying that how you originally posted, it sounded like you were bragging about that game. Like DB said the "show off" part made it sound like you were bragging about, but that's the problem with interpreting stuff off of the internet.

GhaleonEB said:

It started to sound like he was your long lost son or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom