• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falt said:
Just wondering, how much ammo does the pistol start out with and how far did you get before you ran out?
I am not sure how much ammo I started with... But within a minute or so I was out of ammo.

I am sure it is partially my fault for not knowing where pistol ammo spawns though.

Ramirez

Devin Olsen said:
I am not sure how much ammo I started with... But within a minute or so I was out of ammo.

I am sure it is partially my fault for not knowing where pistol ammo spawns though.

I watched a video back around E3 where people just kept going back into this supply room and stocking up on ammo, is that type of thing not in every map or was it just for E3?

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
It's hard to have an honest discussion when you know either side aren't being unbiased in their views.
I think there is a definite pro-Halo bias in this thread. It's practically PoliGAF levels of bias in here. Thank god for Juices.

Neverender said:
I missed the funny

Unfortunately that doesn't stop alot of people.
And I'd agree with Ramirez regarding the BR in Reach. "Perhaps" there'll be some kind of equivalent. Pretty much all of Reach is still up in the air though..

Blueblur1

I hope Bungie borrows three concepts from Gears 2 for Reach: prior to starting a match you can a) veto the gametype, b) veto the map, and c) select your starting weapon. That way we can keep the map that comes up and have only the gametype changed. Oh, and we would stop arguing about the weapon starts. :p

Nutter

Since the Spartan Laser isnt enough , Bungle is going to add a Missile launcher that locks on to infantry in Reach.

Oh and we all know how Bungie can change their own fiction for game to make their own version of something (see ODST and no elites) So do not be surprised by the no BR in Reach. As I can imagine all Bungle has to say is that MC(the player) got the BR when he came to Earth and not before that :p

Devin Olsen said:
Ah, didn't realize you were talking about campaign.

Side note: Halo 1 Match Making was my absolute favorite. ;)
Whoops. Meant MP.

Neverender said:
There's a reason people don't often use weapons like the plasma pistol or the spiker... It's because they're weak, unsatisfying to use and just plain boring.
Those reasons aren't why I hardly use those weapons. I don't think the plasma rifle, the plasma pistol or the spiker are boring or unsatisfying to use, it's just that their usefulness is extremely limited. It's why I love duals so much: it gives me a chance to use those weapons knowing that everyone else is in the same position I am.

Blueblur1 said:
I hope Bungie borrows three concepts from Gears 2 for Reach: prior to starting a match you can a) veto the gametype, b) veto the map, and c) select your starting weapon.

All of those would be spectacular options, I'd love to see something similar to that implemented for Reach. I guess you'd have to limit the starting weapons to BR or AR, maybe Carbine or an unreleased Covenant version of the AR (that somehow goes miraculously missing before Halo: CE).

kylej

Banned
Nutter said:
As I can imagine all Bungle has to say is that MC(the player) got the BR when he came to Earth and not before that :p

BR was handed down by a higher power when Master Chief landed on earth. You know the Creation of Adam fresco by Michelangelo? It was kind of like that.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
I absolutely hate, with a hateful hatred that is full of hate, superfluous thread titles. They clutter up the forum and half the time I can't even tell what the damn thread is about (Shard is the worst at that crap, with the box office threads on the OT a runner up).

So no, I'm not going the "Official Thread of Halo 3:ODST of *witty crap*" route.

I'll think about another way to differentiate the thread titles. But it's not my fault both are called Halo 3.

The one that doesn't have over 100,000 posts is not the ODST thread. Of course, I could always just request this one be locked....
16x16_smiley-sad.gif

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
Oh and we all know how Bungie can change their own fiction for game to make their own version of something (see ODST and no elites) So do not be surprised by the no BR in Reach. As I can imagine all Bungle has to say is that MC(the player) got the BR when he came to Earth and not before that :p
I hope Bungie takes the opportunity with Reach to reinvent and alter the weapon selection, so we don't have a third Halo game with the main weapon as the pistol or BR. I'm ready for something new, even if it slots into the same function.

Arnie

Blueblur1 said:
I hope Bungie borrows three concepts from Gears 2 for Reach: prior to starting a match you can a) veto the gametype, b) veto the map, and c) select your starting weapon. That way we can keep the map that comes up and have only the gametype changed. Oh, and we would stop arguing about the weapon starts. :p
I hope that's the only thing Bungie borrows from Gears 2. See the Gears 2 thread in around 15 minutes for the backstory to this mysterious post.

Falt

Regardless of how anyone feels about the BR, it's a multiplayer staple. Dreaming up an equivelant to fit into Reach is kinda silly when the grounds are already there.

The pistol is a nod to Halo: CE. It's there for the fans. If the BR was in ODST, there wouldn't be much of a reason to use the pistol. A lot of people seem to be missing that point. I <3 BR but I'm not going to condemn or praise the pistol until I get some play time with it.

Blueblur1 said:

Get this man a job.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
the
audio logs
I hope these are reminiscent of Bioshock or better yet System Shock 2, which I'm playing now it's sooo fucking good!
Dax sense your a big BioShock fan, have you played SS2 yet, if not please do it's sooo good!

neoism

I can say I'll miss the BR a little, I'm no pro or anything, but the new pistol is soooo fucking badass, I won't mine! I always hated the pistol in H3, too damn slow! The one in ODST better be in Reach!

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
neoism said:
I hope these are reminiscent of Bioshock or better yet System Shock 2, which I'm playing now it's sooo fucking good!
Dax sense your a big BioShock fan, have you played SS2 yet, if not please do it's sooo good!

I told Dax to pick up SS2 weeks ago, but he says he's on a Mac. Which I thought was all the more reason not to have a Mac. And yes, the ability to play SS2 would sway what computer platform I'd use :lol

"One of us...one of us...one of us"

Anyways, I'll reserve judgment on whether the removal of the BR from Firefight positively or negatively affects gameplay...when I actually play the game. I'll agree with Ghal's summation that the decreased weighting on mid-long range combat makes it so you can't just sit back and mow waves of HaloHorde down. While getting into some CQB scenarios might be sacrilegious to some of you, I'm kinda looking forward to it. I'm hoping I get the same feel as I did when "dancing" with Hunters in HCE while meleeing them to death. I'm also intrigued by the fact that it seems we'll have a more "TILT" experience where you'll have to use a combination of weaponry effectively to beat an opponent. Instead of simply shooting them with a BR/Carbine until dead. But then again, I've always liked using the wider weapon sandbox. It's crazy, but I actually played HCE with the Default Weapon starts where it gave you different weapons. God forbid I didn't make "Team Slayer Pro".

We'll see in a month.

~B.B.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
CrazedArabMan said:
So instead of AR vs BR, its now New Pistol vs BR vs Dax's hate for the BR and his love for the AR?

Little bit of everything this morning. Seems the harem's hormones are in full alignment.

What makes Firefight so much fun is precisely the fact that you can't sit back and wipe out all the enemies for hours on end from long range. It's not about "waping" aliens, easy mode style. That would be simple and samey and boring inside of Firefight's mission spaces. Instead Firefight, among other things, is about:

"The rush of being invaded by dozens of enemies at once as you huddle to regain your shields (I know you don't have shields, but you have something similar)... I don't think I ever felt anything close to this in campaign, but I experienced it within the first six minutes playing Firefight."

And yeah, sometimes you might *gasp* have to make due without the best weapons in the game and rely on your wits and cunning to make due. I know that might be a losing proposition for some of you (<3), but trust me, it's super satisfying in a way it never could be if everyone was simply picking off the Brute packs before they could get within a hundred yards of your position.

kylej

Banned
urk said:
Little bit of everything this morning. Seems the harem's hormones are in full alignment.

What makes Firefight so much fun is precisely the fact that you can't sit back and wipe out all the enemies for hours on end from long range. It's not about "waping" aliens, easy mode style. That would be simple and samey and boring inside of Firefight's mission spaces. Instead Firefight, among other things, is about:

"The rush of being invaded by dozens of enemies at once as you huddle to regain your shields (I know you don't have shields, but you have something similar)... I don't think I ever felt anything close to this in campaign, but I experienced it within the first six minutes playing Firefight."

Let me edit this so it's less mean:
I would have more fun being at wave 400 or whatever with a BR and a snipe with my friends than automatically have a fake layer of tension provided by crappy weapons. Higher stakes = more fun imo.

Louis Wu said:

I'm getting this tattooed on my body.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
EazyB said:
This focus on CQC is miserable and benefits those who dislike aiming the most.
Why again is it miserable? Because it's not what you enjoy? Halo isn't about headshots, it's about map movement, using your radar, anticipating enemy moves and timing out grenades, melees and firing your weapon. Aiming is a massive part, but it's not the entire game. I completely understand that a lot of people enjoy the game mostly when they have a BR and are four-shotting people nonstop the entire match. But unfortunately for those people, Bungie and the majority of the game's fanbase don't feel that way.

The Crawf

My son has been begging me to go to Toys R Us for a couple of weeks now. Today we found ourselves near one, so we went in. This is what he was after:

vcnpl.jpg

Hmmm.. very familiar

The Crawf

Arnie said:
About the whole ODST pricing debate. I just bought the game for £30 on Amazon. £1.60 for first class delivery, estimated dispatch date of September 21st. Well worth that price.

Nice to see Amazon uk have bought the price down. I will stick with my Gameplay order as they got my Halo 2 to me a day early.

urk said:
You quoted my quote. I feel so special.
I actually do, no joke.

urk said:
And yeah, sometimes you might *gasp* have to make due without the best weapons in the game and rely on your wits and cunning to make due. I know that might be a losing proposition for some of you (<3), but trust me, it's super satisfying in a way it never could be if everyone was simply picking off the Brute packs before they could get within a hundred yards of your position.
I read this and was like "wow urk has something here". I was on your side unttttil

kylej said:
Let me edit this so it's less mean:
I would have more fun being at wave 400 or whatever with a BR and a snipe with my friends than automatically have a fake layer of tension provided by crappy weapons. Higher stakes = more fun imo.
This.

kylej said:
I'm getting this tattooed on my body.
I laughed. out loud.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Why again is it miserable? Because it's not what you enjoy? Halo isn't about headshots, it's about map movement, using your radar, anticipating enemy moves and timing out grenades, melees and firing your weapon. Aiming is a massive part, but it's not the entire game. I completely understand that a lot of people enjoy the game mostly when they have a BR and are four-shotting people nonstop the entire match. But unfortunately for those people, Bungie and the majority of the game's fanbase don't feel that way.
There's no radar in ODST, Bungle broke that too.

Nutter said:
Btw, Firefight is totally made for Ghaleon and Dax. :p
Awesome. Ghal and I will become the equivalent of level 50s in firefight.

neoism said:
I can say I'll miss the BR a little, I'm no pro or anything, but the new pistol is soooo fucking badass, I won't mine! I always hated the pistol in H3, too damn slow! The one in ODST better be in Reach!
The M6C is badass.

CrazedArabMan said:
So instead of AR vs BR, its now New Pistol vs BR vs Dax's hate for the BR and his love for the AR?
I don't hate the BR, but it's definitely not my favorite weapon in the game.

Cocopjojo said:
This.

urk said:

This is what I want to hear about Firefight. There is hardly any danger just staying back and picking off enemies with the BR and sniper, and that would be boring if that's all Firefight turned out to be.

urk said:
OMG no br and no radar?!!! That's less gaem!
urk I forgot to ask someone on Saturday... What the hell is with the mini-map when you press back.
It showed a legend with -enemy-friend-and other stuff I think. I saw goatrope on the map, but I didn't see any red dots for enemies... I may have pressed back just before a new wave started, so perhaps there actually wasn't any enemies on the map at that time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The more I think about it, the more I'm cool with no BR in ODST. I'm down with Bungie guiding me with an experience they want me to have. Who knows, it might and actually probably will be awesome. What really sells me though, is that it's just campaign and firefight that has no BR. But, if Reach has no BR in Multiplayer, then I'll be a little put off.

Also, Carbine is a great gun. I still like the BR better but I've run out of ammo and have had the Carbine save my ass because I kept it in my back pocket.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
This is true, though probably not for the reasons you have in mind.
If you think that it was a smirk. Then it was not. The things you guys like. (weapon variety and vehicles) well that is what I was intending to say.

I just prefer a different halo. that is all. and with that I am done with this session of discussion.

Shafto

Mixed on the no BR in ODST myself.

On one hand, I have no particular love of the xxx4shotxxx, and feel it distils the game down too much. I like the BR, but Halo, before I started playing MP, was always about great weapon balance, and how you play with the 'cards you're dealt' so to speak. There shouldn't be a 'best' weapon, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if Firefight lives up to expectations, it could be the awesome, sandbox longevity we all crave. This could be one of the greatest high points of the series, and we could be playing it for a long time. And the thought of the highest point in the Halo series, not having the option of a BR, seems sad to me.

Overall, i'm cool with it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Devin Olsen said:
urk I forgot to ask someone on Saturday... What the hell is with the mini-map when you press back.
It showed a legend with -enemy-friend-and other stuff I think. I saw goatrope on the map, but I didn't see any red dots for enemies... I may have pressed back just before a new wave started, so perhaps there actually wasn't any enemies on the map at that time.

Yeah, probably between rounds. Typically you get a small indicator where the enemy squads are positioned, though if you're taking the time to scout them out during a live wave, you should probably make sure another player has you covered.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
If you think that it was a smirk. Then it was not. The things you guys like. (weapon variety and vehicles) well that is what I was intending to say.
That's a small part of it, yeah.

The other part is, I like campaign to utterly kick my ass. I used to do runs on Legendary, solo, with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Catch and a few other skulls turned on. I'd spend hours fighting seemingly impossible fights with what scraps of weapons I had left, savoring those moments of finding new strategies that worked with what I could find on the battlefield. (Tsavo Highway was the map I did this the most on.) I enjoy this because the AI in Halo makes it fair - I never had the sense I was being cheated, and could always pinpoint my death to a mistake I made.

That's basically Firefight, stretched out into a giant dynamic battle rather than the handful of encounters I would run through. Bungie keeps saying doing Legendary will be a slaughter. I'm planning to give it some quality time solo. I might make it ten minutes each run, but I'll love every one of them.

Dax01 said:
I don't hate the BR, but it's definitely not my favorite weapon in the game.

Bullshit junior, its your top tool of destruction. You love nothing more than popping into some social slayer and donging on some BK's 4 head shots and its on to your next victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom