• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Booshka said:
I know most of you probably don't like "Professional" Halo 3, but MLG is going to have an exhibition of ODST at there upcoming event this Friday-Sunday. They will probably show the new maps more than the Recon part of the game, but it's still a good way of seeing people playing the new game.

lol people play MLG??

This thread will get posters to shit it up in here once ODST releases for sure. Who the fuck wants, "I paid 60$ for this shit, LOL BUNGIE!!!" It might actually be wise to have a thread just for ODST campaign discussion and Firefight where this one could remain Multiplayer and OG Halo 3.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
They have to cater to both, but I have yet to see how Halo has been watered down as it's gone.

That said, I don't see how a single thing in ODST is tailored to give it a wider appeal. The setting, the story, the structure, the visual style, the characters, the secrets, Firefight, the pistol, the
Engineers
, the
audio logs
, even the two symmetrical arena maps bundled with it are all culled right from the Hardcore Book of Wishes. If there's a newbification off Halo it is on hiatus for ODST.
Don't get me wrong, ODST is filled with fan throwbacks. But I'm not talking about those people that can name all the prophets, I'm talking about the folk than enjoy a good 4-shot. From the gameplay demos the pistol has seemed to be a decent weapon, taking out grunts and brutes on normal difficulty. But the more I hear from people that really know Halo's mechanics, it seems like the pistol is no BR, not even a Halo 3 BR. Now we have to start with a SMG (which is close range) and a pistol (which seems to be closer range than the Halo 3 BR). This focus on CQC is miserable and benefits those who dislike aiming the most. I'mma have to hunt down a carbine if I want a decent mid-range weapon, get real. Between AR starts on MM and CQC starts in ODST, I don't like the trend I see. I think Nutter mentioned something similar quite some time ago.

Booshka said:
I know most of you probably don't like "Professional" Halo 3, but MLG is going to have an exhibition of ODST at there upcoming event this Friday-Sunday. They will probably show the new maps more than the Recon part of the game, but it's still a good way of seeing people playing the new game.
Sweet, might get the first good footage of Midship (no ARs) and some proper Citadel matches.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
Don't get me wrong, ODST is filled with fan throwbacks. But I'm not talking about those people that can name all the prophets, I'm talking about the folk than enjoy a good 4-shot. From the gameplay demos the pistol has seemed to be a decent weapon, taking out grunts and brutes on normal difficulty. But the more I hear from people that really know Halo's mechanics, it seems like the pistol is no BR, not even a Halo 3 BR. Now we have to start with a SMG (which is close range) and a pistol (which seems to be closer range than the Halo 3 BR). This focus on CQC is miserable and benefits those who dislike aiming the most. I'mma have to hunt down a carbine if I want a decent mid-range weapon, get real. Between AR starts on MM and CQC starts in ODST, I don't like the trend I see. I think Nutter mentioned something similar quite some time ago.
I have two thoughts on this, and it's late, so this may get messy.

Bungie has said many times that they want to leverage the full Halo sandbox in Firefight, and that only goes so far when you can hole up with one gun and pwn wave after wave of Covenant. Setting you up with a BR and ample ammo just turns the game into a headshot fest. They want you to have an effective, but limited headshot weapon (the pistol) to use wisely. But from everything I've seen about Firefight, running out of resources is a major part of the game. Getting scrappy, creative and ultimately desperate is what the mode is about. Not sitting back and droppin' four shots. This isn't multiplayer, and the approach simply has to be different.

I think we're going to learn to savor the pistol, using other weapons to blow armor off Brutes and finish them with the pistol - not just mowing rows down with the BR. I think it's part of how they wanted to tweak the gameplay - make the player a bit more vulnerable. The pistol looks incredibly effective, but it's no the end all, be all the BR often is. Which is going to be a good thing. Not sure how providing a less effective weapon makes it more user friendly, though. Quite the opposite. If forces you to use it smarter, not four shot or spray and pray.

You can see that in the campaign demos so far (start of second thought here). In every single one I've seen, Staten uses the SMG or Plasma Pistol to weaken Brutes to the point where the pistol can headshot them, rather than use it to blow their armor off. I think that sums up it's purpose right there: it's a deadly secondary weapon. Grunts and Jackals will drop like flies. Brutes need more TLC. Keep one handy, but you just can't rely on it for everything like with the BR. Again, I approve of this - it forces you to mix up tactics more, and makes you feel less like a raging killing machine.

As to a focus on CQC, I'm just not seeing it. The player is more fragile, has a weaker mêlée, and has two medium range weapons at hand (both scoped). This SMG has both a much longer range and a scope, so I hesitate to draw direct comparisons with the SMG (or AR) of old. The new SMG/pistol duo reminds me very much of the AR/BR setup, but balanced a bit differently between them; one with longer range, the other less a jack of all trades and more a scalpel. (How's that for a mixed metaphor.)

Butane123

Just my opinion, but it seems a little too early to start discrediting weapons. Seeing that the only thing we really have to go on is people playing the game for only 10 minutes in the back of a truck or at an event.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I have two thoughts on this, and it's late, so this may get messy.
I like it the way you say it, it makes it sound fun, but then I actually play with all the other weapons and remember why I hate them. But there's something so satisfying about headshot weapons and something very sloppy feeling about spraying all the other guns. It's like my issue with the flood in Halo 1 & 2, they were just bullet sponges, but in Halo 3 they added the headshot area which makes them a lot more fun to kill. I still don't know why the weapons in Halo games all do the same amount of damage no matter where you shot the enemy unless it's a headshot and you have a headshot capable weapon (sniper, BR, or carbine). It'd be a lot better if the AR or whatever other weapon did more damage when shooting the head as opposed to the feet or hands. Right now the best tactic is to just throw as many bullets at any part of the enemy until they die; sloppy and unrewarding. Even Gear's crazy chainsaw gun rewards players for concentrating fire on headshots. It's an additional layer of depth that goes a long way, and the main reason I loath using most other weapons. I don't want to have an extremely limited access to the few weapons left in Halo's sandbox that deliver this rewarding feeling.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
I don't want to have an extremely limited access to the few weapons left in Halo's sandbox that deliver this rewarding feeling.

I see where you're going, but I guess this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. It also depends on whether you're talking campaign or MP. I agree more for MP, not so much for campaign.

In Halo 3 MP, the BR reigns supreme. And even in the campaign, you always had a BR or Carbine - which I'm ambivalent between in campaign - on hand. There was almost never a moment without one and no reason to drop'em. I think this would get boring in Firefight. I'm looking forward to those tales of last stands, felling three hammer Chieftains using nothing but a lose leaf notebook and harsh language.

In campaign, I really think there are very few unsatisfying weapons. Sniper rifle, beam rifle, carbine, (new) pistol, (new) SMG, rockets, FRG, hammer, sword, turrets, needler, shotty, mauler. All are very satisfying in their own ways to me. And that's a lotta weapons. I don't mind being forced to mix it up with them.

Beyond that, the plasma pistol looks to have a renewed role, but one as a secondary, much as in Halo 1 and 2.

Then there's the spray and pray class: spiker, AR, plasma rifles. Not as fun. Definitely fallback material. But I suspect they'll retain that status. When I look at the balance of the list, I'm fine being pushed to use more than the BR/pistol.

To put it even more forcefully, if Firefight were built around the pistol to the same degree as MP is focused around the BR, I'd be one sad puppy. Using the full sandbox is what has me excited about it.

Booshka

This is a main gripe I've had with Halo ever since Halo 2, Halo CE had the problem to an extent, but all the weapons were more lethal (sans needler) and had their own purpose. The pistol in Halo CE was great for head shots more so than the BR, because the shield didn't have to be completely depleted, in campaign or Multiplayer, you can get very satisfying head shot kills with the pistol because getting a head shot to a LOW shielded player netted a kill. Killing elites in with all head shots was great, and three shot kills in multiplayer, even more so.

In Halo 2 and 3, you need to get there shields completely depleted then shoot the head, so weapons that had shield draining capabilities were mainly used to assist the BR or Carbine for the kill. It devolves into one hit kill weapons (rockets, laser, sword, shotgun) sniping (skill based and fun), throw-away weapons and then the rifles, the "pistol" of Halo 2 and 3 (but not nearly as fun or skill intensive as the Halo CE pistol). The majority of weapons Bungie has added to Halo's sandbox are not very satisfying, and none are as satisfying as the Halo CE pistol.

So I agree with the lack of satisfaction that many Halo 3 weapons suffer, because it's spray into body until they die, or shoot explosives at them until they blow up, not even close to the satisfaction of a Three-Shot Kill in Halo CE with the pistol. This is of course excluding the carbine, snipers and BR(for the most part) which are still pretty satisfying to use, but that is the problem, more weapons that off-set the skill of Halo and just plain aren't fun to use outside of experimentation.

It looks like ODST will go even further down this route, I don't plan on buying it, hopefully Reach can get me back into Halo, I'll stick to Shadowrun until then.

KevinRo

Ghal, I'm pretty sure most maps in the multiplayer were built around the AR as your starting weapon. The community sorta just migrated towards the BR because it made sense in making the game fair.

Plus, you probably remembered playing Halo2, Halo3 on legendary. The BR was pretty useless unless you lowered the enemies shield first with some other means. Otherwise, you'd run out of BR ammo quick.

GhaleonEB said:
I see where you're going, but I guess this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. It also depends on whether you're talking campaign or MP. I agree more for MP, not so much for campaign.

In Halo 3 MP, the BR reigns supreme. And even in the campaign, you always had a BR or Carbine - which I'm ambivalent between in campaign - on hand. There was almost never a moment without one and no reason to drop'em. I think this would get boring in Firefight. I'm looking forward to those tales of last stands, felling three hammer Chieftains using nothing but a lose leaf notebook and harsh language.

In campaign, I really think there are very few unsatisfying weapons. Sniper rifle, beam rifle, carbine, (new) pistol, (new) SMG, rockets, FRG, hammer, sword, turrets, needler, shotty, mauler. All are very satisfying in their own ways to me. And that's a lotta weapons. I don't mind being forced to mix it up with them.

Beyond that, the plasma pistol looks to have a renewed role, but one as a secondary, much as in Halo 1 and 2.

Then there's the spray and pray class: spiker, AR, plasma rifles. Not as fun. Definitely fallback material. But I suspect they'll retain that status. When I look at the balance of the list, I'm fine being pushed to use more than the BR/pistol.

To put it even more forcefully, if Firefight were built around the pistol to the same degree as MP is focused around the BR, I'd be one sad puppy. Using the full sandbox is what has me excited about it.

I agree with Ghaleon. I'm for one glad Bungie decided to remove the BR in order to put more focus on the sandbox and give more reason to use other weapons.

Come to think of it, it's because of no BR that Halo: CE excels in one area more so than its sequels. At some point in almost every level in Halo: CE, you ran out of ammo for the pistol and had to resort to using the weapons around you. I don't know about anyone else, but I've probably used the plasma pistol and the plasma rifle in Halo: CE than in both Halo 2 and Halo 3 campaigns combined.

I look forward to being forced to use other weapons in Firefight. It will make for some awesome survival stories.

enzo_gt said:
I always thought they went hand in hand, ODSTs and BRs. Seemed like a perfect fit.
Having gotten used to it, the new SMG and pistol seem like a more perfect fit than the ODST and the BR.

EazyB said:
And the fact that there seems to be no plans to release the 3 delayed maps outside of the $60 ODST package is completely ridiculous. Almost Halo Wars level of bullshit.
Again I'll say that it's because Microsoft wants to keep as much hype built up for the full game as they can until after the holiday season. You won't hear about a separate purchase for the God's Country Maps until after Christmas; it only makes sound business sense*.

*squidhands does not endorse Microsoft or their business practices.

Arnie

I think they removed the BR not just as a way of exagerating the ODST's lack of battlefield presence when compared to a Spartan but as a tool to not tone down combat situations but in fact to liven them up. How many Brutes did you kill with ease in Halo 3? A fare few.

In Firefight, killing a Brute with a single plasma pistol and the whip of an automag round is a talking point, especially when you are the last man alive, with a single life remaining and your 3 friends watching you, butts clenched. With such limited supplies it becomes a feat of grandeur. More so than, xx4shtxx grabbed the BR and effortlessly tore through the Brutes with a volley of accurate bursts to the upper kneck and head.

As Firefight takes place in a very campaign focused context, it also allows the gameplay to somewhat resemble the novels. You can imagine Eric Nylund writing about an ODST's struggle to kill a single hulking Brute with just half a clip of SMG rounds, also leading to a moment of triumph not witnessed with the Battle Rifle.

Although combat may feel slightly sloppy and inprecise without the onyx presence of the Battle Rifle, when your friends lives are on the line, using other alternatives is bound to be more rewarding.

Arnie said:
I think they removed the BR not just as a way of exagerating the ODST's lack of battlefield presence when compared to a Spartan but as a tool to not tone down combat situations but in fact to liven them up. How many Brutes did you kill with ease in Halo 3? A fare few.

In Firefight, killing a Brute with a single plasma pistol and the whip of an automag round is a talking point, especially when you are the last man alive, with a single life remaining and your 3 friends watching you, butts clenched. With such limited supplies it becomes a feat of grandeur. More so than, xx4shtxx grabbed the BR and effortlessly tore through the Brutes with a volley of accurate bursts to the upper kneck and head.

As Firefight takes place in a very campaign focused context, it also allows the gameplay to somewhat resemble the novels. You can imagine Eric Nylund writing about an ODST's struggle to kill a single hulking Brute with just half a clip of SMG rounds, also leading to a moment of triumph not witnessed with the Battle Rifle.

Although combat may feel slightly sloppy and inprecise without the onyx presence of the Battle Rifle, when your friends lives are on the line, using other alternatives is bound to be more rewarding.

That's a very good way of putting it. :)

DancingJesus said:
Not sure if this was posted but Gamestop put up a pretty funny preorder commercial for ODST:

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...ylist=featured

Definitely one of the best (if not the best) commercials they've done. Bravo!:lol

Whys it so hard to figure out how to go beep beep boop and set a bubble shield on the ground
? I thought ODST's were supposed to be smart or some shit?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I'm glad the BR is gone. Carbine is way more satisfying as a weapon overall, just not as effective due to the damage nerf from the beta.

It's funny, but what Eazy finds as satisfying, is more of a turn-off to me. 4 shots and such are just boring. Sniper headshots feel satisfying because they require a good deal of skill, but otherwise I like the bombastic weapons. Give me plasma grenades, maulers, shotguns, needlers. They're simply fun. Pointing and clicking 4 times in a row to watch a body simply drop isn't that much fun or visually satisfying.

LunaticPuma said:
I'm glad the BR is gone. Carbine is way more satisfying as a weapon overall, just not as effective due to the damage nerf from the beta.

It's funny, but what Eazy finds as satisfying, is more of a turn-off to me. 4 shots and such are just boring. Sniper headshots feel satisfying because they require a good deal of skill, but otherwise I like the bombastic weapons. Give me plasma grenades, maulers, shotguns, needlers. They're simply fun. Pointing and clicking 4 times in a row to watch a body simply drop isn't that much fun or visually satisfying.
You're going to get burned for that. :p But I'll go ahead and agree with you: I'm glad the BR is gone too.

Neverender said:
Guys the AR is still in the game why do you even need a BR?

I think it's in the game o.o
The AR is in ODST.

LunaticPuma said:

I would have to agree with you. I think if the BR was 3 shots it would be a lot more satisfying. My friends make fun of me for liking the Carbine. :lol

Ramirez

LunaticPuma said:

Basically you enjoy weapons that require little to no aiming or give you instant satisfaction? :p

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Dax01 said:
You're going to get burned for that. :p But I'll go ahead and agree with you: I'm glad the BR is gone too.

The AR is in ODST.

I know I'll get burned. I also hated the pistol in Halo CE too in MP. Using the plasma rifle to freeze enemies before delivering the killing melee was much more satisfying.

I guess I'm just a player who likes things to be very visceral.

The BR is just too lethal at distances it should not be just like the CE pistol.

Talon

LunaticPuma said:
Heh, another Carbine lover. I loved using the BR in the early going of Halo 3 when a lot of new folks were doing the AR and bash method, but now I tend to pick up the Carbine more often than not when I get the opportunity. I just like that it shoots so quickly, so it makes it more satisfying in close range combat.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Talon- said:
Heh, another Carbine lover. I loved using the BR in the early going of Halo 3 when a lot of new folks were doing the AR and bash method, but now I tend to pick up the Carbine more often than not when I get the opportunity. I just like that it shoots so quickly, so it makes it more satisfying in close range combat.

I enjoy the lighting/shimmer of the carbine and the reload animation. Green and purple is a fun color combination too.

Dax01 said:
I agree with Ghaleon. I'm for one glad Bungie decided to remove the BR in order to put more focus on the sandbox and give more reason to use other weapons.
Come on Dax...

Dax01 said:
Come to think of it, it's because of no BR that Halo: CE excels in one area more so than its sequels.
No, it's because of the pistol

Dax01 said:
At some point in almost every level in Halo: CE, you ran out of ammo for the pistol and had to resort to using the weapons around you. I don't know about anyone else, but I've probably used the plasma pistol and the plasma rifle in Halo: CE than in both Halo 2 and Halo 3 campaigns combined.
I rarely ran out of ammo for the pistol... There was always ammo on the map or you got ammo from killing someone else. The reason you found yourself using the plasma rifle and other weapons more often is because they didn't suck. The plasma rifle in H2 and H3 are terrible compared to the H1 plasma rifle.

Dax01 said:
I look forward to being forced to use other weapons in Firefight. It will make for some awesome survival stories.
I didn't particularilly enjoy being forced to use a plasma pistol while playing firefight. If it's Bungies intention to add variety to the game by forcing players to use terrible weapons.. Well then I am shocked.

There's a reason people don't often use weapons like the plasma pistol or the spiker... It's because they're weak, unsatisfying to use and just plain boring.

Devin Olsen said:
Come on Dax...
Well! ...

I rarely ran out of ammo for the pistol... There was always ammo on the map or you got ammo from killing someone else. The reason you found yourself using the plasma rifle and other weapons more often is because they didn't suck. The plasma rifle in H2 and H3 are terrible compared to the H1 plasma rifle.

Are you talking about multiplayer? Because I was talking about campaign when I said that. :p Never really had a chance to play Halo 1 MM.

I didn't particularilly enjoy being forced to use a plasma pistol while playing firefight. If it's Bungies intention to add variety to the game by forcing players to use terrible weapons.. Well then I am shocked.
Hm. My opinion could completely change around when I actually play Firefight, so we'll see.

Dax01 said:
Are you talking about multiplayer? Because I was talking about campaign when I said that. :p Never really had a chance to play Halo 1 MM.
Ah, didn't realize you were talking about campaign.

Side note: Halo 1 Match Making was my absolute favorite. ;)

Nutter

Being forced to use a class of weapons rather than picking what weapon you would want to use..

Isnt that what we have been argueing over for the last 2 years now? BR/AR starts? :p

Going by how the games so far have gone from Halo 1 to ODST, I fully expect Reach to have extremely nerfed weapons. Casuals horay!!!

Btw, Firefight is totally made for Ghaleon and Dax. :p

Pete Rock

The BR is gone because clearly it was a terrible idea to begin with, followed by a catastrophic implementation. 200+ms pings on p2p host + semi auto 3 round burst + spartan floaty physics = lamest shit I have ever seen in my life :lol

Nutter

Pete Rock said:
The BR is gone because clearly it was a terrible idea to begin with, followed by a catastrophic implementation. 200+ms pings on p2p host + semi auto 3 round burst + spartan floaty physics = lamest shit I have ever seen in my life :lol
Lemme guess, you wanted the pistol in its place though? with the same Floaty physics p2p host? and 200ms pings. Joke post?

Pete Rock said:
pewpewcatgunavatar.gif

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Oh no, I've upset Ghaleon.
Nah, just rolling my eyes. I mean, at least pretend to have an honest discussion.

I'm just not quite sure how the discussion morphped from "the pistol is not the BR" to "Bungie is gonna force me to use Plasma Pistol's and Spikers all the time".

Pete Rock said:

...the BR isn't in ODST, it's still in competitive multi player, where lag actually becomes something to talk about.
I'll go with Nutter on this one: Joke post?

Falt

Devin Olsen said:

Just wondering, how much ammo does the pistol start out with and how far did you get before you ran out?

Devin Olsen said:
Ah, didn't realize you were talking about campaign.

Side note: Halo 1 Match Making was my absolute favorite. ;)

Amen.

4 xboxs: €1200, 16 controllers: €480, 4 copies of Halo: CE: €220, 1 hub: €40, multiple cables €30, beer €50, pizza: €40, Memories: priceless.

Night in, night out for nearly 2 years and I wouldn't change a thing. XBL has killed the lan party around my parts, damn shame. Drinking beer and eating pizza alone isn't all it's cracked up to be :/

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
Nah, just rolling my eyes. I mean, at least pretend to have an honest discussion.

I'm just not quite sure how the discussion morphped from "the pistol is not the BR" to "Bungie is gonna force me to use Plasma Pistol's and Spikers all the time".

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you know either side aren't being unbiased in their views.

I will say however that the absence of the BR in ODST probably isn't a good sign for Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom