• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Devin Olsen said:
I think it's worth mentioning that my TV had its volume turned all the way down. Turn on Halo 3 right now and shoot the BR with your volume turned down... Sound plays a huge part in how a game 'feels'. I am hoping/assuming some of my feeling of being underwhelmed with the pistol is coming from that.

It also didn't help that Ammo for it was incredibly scarce. I hardly got to use the thing, but when I did it was quite effective against grunts and jackals.

Why did you un-quote my post :(?

KevinRo said:
wait, how did you guys get VIP access to the truck?

this is crucial as i'm going to the Baltimore one. this is crucial.

Answer the question.

Devin Olsen said:
I think it's worth mentioning that my TV had its volume turned all the way down. Turn on Halo 3 right now and shoot the BR with your volume turned down... Sound plays a huge part in how a game 'feels'. I am hoping/assuming some of my feeling of being underwhelmed with the pistol is coming from that.
You may have something there (hope it's true). Again, I'm super excited to use the pistol.

It also didn't help that Ammo for it was incredibly scarce. I hardly got to use the thing, but when I did it was quite effective against grunts and jackals.

What about against Brutes? Or did you not have enough opportunity to use the pistol against Brutes to make that sort of determination?

Imma sorry, Devin. I'll edit in the link to your post in my post.

Kibbles

Devin Olsen said:

I'm surprised they didn't have any headsets.

big ander

Neverender said:
:lol :lol

Yeah, right.
Haha you're right. They should be able to accept it. I mean, as long as they have the opportunity to play every normal gametype (which would be covered by Slayer and Skirmish) people should complain. To be clearer which playlists I think should stay open: LW, Team Slayer and/or Squad Battle, Social Slayer, and Social Skirmish. The rest are really just accessories. But people will get angry anyway, saying they bought the game, and now they can't play matchmaking, and they want a refund.

Sai-kun said:
Yes, do it.

Dax01 said:
What about against Brutes? Or did you not have enough opportunity to use the pistol against Brutes to make that sort of determination?
Didn't really get a chance to use it against Brutes... But it feels like it would take 1+ clip to kill a brute with the pistol.

Dax01 said:
Imma sorry, Devin. I'll edit in the link to your post in my post.
It's ok ;) Thanks Dax

Devin Olsen said:
Didn't really get a chance to use it against Brutes... But it feels like it would take 1+ clip to kill a brute with the pistol.
Didn't it take that much to kill an elite with the M6D? My memory's kind of shaddy in that area.

And Ghal - did you read my PM yet?

This is from the flickr page that Blueblur posted in the ODST thread... I'm going to get so much use out of this picture lol

3849077502_d84ef7ab28.jpg

vhfive

Neverender said:
This is from the flickr page that Blueblur posted in the ODST thread... I'm going to get so much use out of this picture lol

gross. you didn't need to share that with the whole thread.

TimeLike

urk said:
You don't have to take my word for it though, we've already let press dudes have hands-on with the finished game. Full playthroughs are spinning up now. You'll get to read those impressions before you plunk down your sixty bucks if you're still straddling the fence.

Cool. Can't wait to read 'em. I can't imagine not being there day 1 for a Bungie game.

Oozer3993 said:
There have been many games this generation that have only a campaign component and some of them don't have co-op. They were all $60 new. Let's look at one in particular. ODST lines up pretty nicely with Crackdown in several ways. Both offer an open world with, it appears, about 8 hours of gameplay, as nebulous as that measurement can be. Both feature co-op (though ODST has 4 player compared to only 2 for Crackdown). Both feature access to the beta of a Halo game. But ODST also comes with Firefight and a campaign that is more engrossing and interesting than Crackdown in addition to supporting 2 more players in co-op. Crackdown was $60 new. Technically, it's an even worse value proposition. Where was your righteous anger then?

Realtime Worlds did not come out in 2006 and say, "Crackdown is NOT a full retail release. It is a fun expansion for our fans." MS did not say, "It's a fullscale release because it has Halo3 beta inside. Fullprice, please!"

Louis Wu said:
You don't want it, don't buy it. But don't tell the million-plus people who bought Crackdown that they're idiots, okay? That's patronizing and stupid.

I trudged uphill a mile and a half through really deep snowdrifts to get to my car (Mrs. TimeLike drove it to the Park n Ride) the morning Crackdown released so I could go get it. I was right there with all the other idiots.

Arnie said:
About the whole ODST pricing debate. I just bought the game for £30 on Amazon. £1.60 for first class delivery, estimated dispatch date of September 21st. Well worth that price.

Quoted for truth. I got mine from Amazon too. I think Campaign and Firefight are well worth £30 in my opinion. ($50)
Considering that a lot of games in the UK get shoved up to £45 and £50 at release ($75 and $82 respectively) I find it nice to get a game on release day so cheap.
It's even worse for Australians, those poor guys have to sell organs to buy their games on release day.

DiabolicalBagel said:
Quoted for truth. I got mine from Amazon too. I think Campaign and Firefight are well worth £30 in my opinion. ($50)
Considering that a lot of games in the UK get shoved up to £45 and £50 at release ($75 and $82 respectively) I find it nice to get a game on release day so cheap.
It's even worse for Australians, those poor guys have to sell organs to buy their games on release day.

Yeah man, if we're lucky, a new release game will be around $100AU, which is about $83US. Usually, though, they're $120AU on release, which is about $100US.

B^)

One more random thought on last night - on the tweaked Avalanche, the overshields spawned right at the man-cannon drop-off point. I think on at least two occasions I was able to grab the flag, hop through the teleporter, pick-up and deploy the bubble and then hop across the cannon and grab the shield, putting me halfway across the map in about 15 seconds with the flag and the overshield.

Is this a bad thing? Maybe, maybe not, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I dread to think what a limited edition package costs over there.

It is seriously unfair how Australians (and on occasion UK folk... no... not British >.>) cough up the same amount of cash for a standard version of a release game that Americans do for limited editions.
Down with the bad conversion rates!

Master

Banned
Neverender said:

3849077502_d84ef7ab28.jpg

Heh. Sorry for looking like a creepy homeless man :)

Glad people had fun with the game.

(I didn't expect to read gaf and see a creepy closeup of my beardy face. LOL)

Master said:
Heh. Sorry for looking like a creepy homeless man :)

Glad people had fun with the game.

(I didn't expect to read gaf and see a creepy closeup of my beardy face. LOL)

haha, I wasn't making fun of you man, but your expression is a perfect 'WAT' image.

MrDaravon

God damn, the zombie gametype that comes up on Orbital in Living Dead is the most broken piece of shit ever for the infected side....which of course I started as on all 3 rounds both times I've played this. What the hell determines which side you spawn as?

vhfive said:
damn dax how long did this take you
:D Why would someone spend all this time making a styrofoam (sp?) map when they could just make it in Forge?

Alright, It's gonna cost $100 to repair my 360 as it's 4 years old and apparently out of warranty. I'm seriously considering going and buying a brand new Arcade for $200. Those are built slightly better, right? Not even sure how it broke, I only play my Xbox once a week. How'd it break on such a light load?

Meh... I've been wanting to get a giant HDD for my 360, but it looks like I'll be spending my spare cash on a new/repaired console.

A Penguin

Ugh, what is it with the MLG playlist and quitters? It's almost a guarantee that if the other team scores the first flag cap, half of my team will quit out immediately.

EazyB

Banned
Stormtrooper30 said:
Not even sure how it broke, I only play my Xbox once a week. How'd it break on such a light load?
It's a 360, what do you expect? The brand new one they sent me broke after 2 hours of playing an arcade title.

Real piece of work. Just be happy yours survived for as long as it did, even with the repair in between.

Kibbles said:
The ODST thing isn't going too well. Apparently the power keeps going out and the game froze on some people.
Source?

I know there was a _lot_ of technical problems the first day... But I had hoped they would have it cleared up by now...

I never heard of the game itself freezing though. Except for when they disconnected the Ethernet cables

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
So, for the ODST thread title is it

Halo 3: ODST

Halo 3 - ODST

or just

Halo 3 ODST

?
Soo, what's going to happen to this thread, I have a feeling ODST's thread will be bigger than Halo Wars!:lol It kind of sucks having to go through 2 thread instead of one, maybe the mods can just rename this thread!
....no probably not!
16x16_smiley-sad.gif

neoism

Oh, and sorry for bailing last night, I usually stay til later, but i just wasn't feeling it! Just had got done with a 5 hour long Fallout 3 run, finally finished it!

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
Soo, what's going to happen to this thread, I have a feeling ODST's thread will be bigger than Halo Wars!:lol It kind of sucks having to go through 2 thread instead of one, maybe the mods can just rename this thread!
....no probably not!
16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Option 1: we confine all future Halo discussion to the ODST thread, since it includes the full MP that we are currently still playing in addition to the new content.

Option 2: we use the ODST thread for Firefight and Campaign, and use this thread for MP.

Option 3: I PM a mod for guidance before the thread goes up.

(I'm going for option #3.)

GhaleonEB said:
Option 1: we confine all future Halo discussion to the ODST thread, since it includes the full MP that we are currently still playing in addition to the new content.

Option 2: we use the ODST thread for Firefight and Campaign, and use this thread for MP.

Option 3: I PM a mod for guidance before the thread goes up.

(I'm going for option #3.)
We have to make it to 150K before we leave this thread!

neoism

Nice tale, Devin, man I can't wait for ODST, I have 4 days off starting the 22nd:D
For the first time, I'm not reading any reviews for a Halo game! I want to completely surprised!

EazyB

Banned
Good tale, Devin. It's a shame things didn't work out at Bungie HQ. I've always thought it'd be nifty to play there.

neoism said:
177777 make it happen!
I'm pretty sure if we all post in triplets we could make 7777777 by ODST's launch...

EazyB said:
It's a 360, what do you expect? The brand new one they sent me broke after 2 hours of playing an arcade title.

Real piece of work. Just be happy yours survived for as long as it did, even with the repair in between.
I'm guessing that after 4 years it's out of its warranty, right? It may be easier just to buy a new one instead of shipping it off to get fixed.

I hope they can change the title of this thread. I really don't want to have to follow two threads at once.

vhfive

Stormtrooper30 said:
I'm guessing that after 4 years it's out of its warranty, right? It may be easier just to buy a new one instead of shipping it off to get fixed.

I hope they can change the title of this thread. I really don't want to have to follow two threads at once.
subscribe ti both threads. click User CP.
problem solved

Ramirez

Stormtrooper30 said:

I'm pretty sure that if you complained enough and got someone higher up that they would repair it if it's the RROD. I've had 7 consoles repaired, one of them 2-3 times. I broke down a year or so ago like you and bought and Elite because I thought my luck would be better. It's currently sitting under my TV with a RROD. :Lol

Willeth

I have been told multiple times by different support reps that if your Xbox has been repaired or replaced three times under warranty, any subsequent repair is free even if it's out of warranty. I have no idea if this I'd unique to the UK, or just me for some reason, or what, but it's held true for me once already.

Ten-Song

Stormtrooper30 said:

If it's the RRoD, it doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, they'll fix it for free. Last time I had to get it done the website even acknowledged it quickly when I went to get my 360 prepped and sent off for repair. I picked "three red rings" as my problem, and it instantly set the cost of the whole thing to 0.

Willeth

The standard warranty is a year for all faults, and three years for the RROD and E74. The site factors that in, which is what you're seeing there. If it's over three years the site will still charge you, I believe.

Louis Wu

EazyB said:
He never said "idiot" nor did he even really imply it. But let me go out of my way to say that anyone who would hold up beta access as a bullet-point for justifying a $60 purchase is an idiot. Has this console generation really tainted consumers so much they'd willingly and knowingly pay for a beta. Next thing you know you guys will be paying for demos (really close to same thing anyways these days). If a PC dev asked gamers to pay for a beta of their game they'd be laughed outta business, I'm far from a PC elitist but if this is what console gaming has become, I'mma jump ship.
He absolutely did imply that he thought people would be stupid to pay for access to a beta, just because it has 'Halo' in the title of it. But that's really neither here nor there. There were over a million people who played the Halo 3 Beta for a three-week period - and some of them STILL speak of those three weeks as some of the best gaming they've ever had. When the activation glitch kicked in on opening day (for the Crackdown buyers), I thought the internet was going to melt down, people were so upset that they couldn't get in and play. And that was just a few hours of downtime! It might not be important to you - but you're blind if you think that you're the only kind of gamer out there. It's REALLY important to a LOT of people.

Don't worry about having to jump ship, though. It's not like EVERY developer generates this kind of fervor; I'm not sure how many there are that could get away with this, but damn skippy Bungie's one of 'em.

Is rebuying content you already own not stupid? It is.
I don't consider it 'rebuying content I already own' - for me, the stuff I'm getting with ODST that's new for me is worth the $60. Yes, I'm getting OTHER stuff I already have - but I don't really feel like I'm paying anything extra for it.

When I buy a new car, I have to make lots of decisions: do I want air conditioning badly enough to pay for the accessory package that it comes bundled with - giving me a rear spoiler I have no desire for, floor mats I'll never use, and a bottle of headlight fluid? Yeah, I want the air conditioning. So I'll buy the package it comes in.

If you can live without the air conditioning, you can wait a few months and spend the $10 they'll probably want for the last Mythic Map pack. (No, I don't actually know they're going to release it separately - but I'd be pretty surprised if they don't. (Pre-post Edit: just saw how urk said he wouldn't bank on it. That would really suck, in the long run - especially if they become required in Matchmaking playlists. That would be a decision I COULD NOT get behind, at all.))

So as a Halo 3 owner he has all the right in the world to bitch about these inclusions being used to defend ODST's $60 pricetag.
But does he have all the right in the world to call people who disagree with his viewpoint 'stupid'?

Yeah, well, I guess it's the internet. Sure he does.

(Pre-post Edit 2: Just saw where Timelike said he was one of the idiots that bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta - so maybe he wasn't really calling us stupid for being willing to buy ODST. Bottom line, for me: the stuff I'm getting in the ODST package is worth $60 to me - I don't need to count up the bullet points on the back of the box. I'm sure that others feel the same way, and maybe even have a different bullet point subset they're basing that on. I think it's deplorable that Microsoft held back the 6 Mythic maps in order to make this work - but I'm not interested in standing on principle and not purchasing, just to show them I think they're assholes. And that's that.)

Ramirez

I can't believe the same people who still post in this thread and probably play Halo 3 more than once a week are complaining about the price of ODST. I could see the casuals, but if you're still playing Halo 3 this long after release I'm fairly certain you'll get your money's worth out of ODST as well.

I dunno, maybe it's because I only plan on buying like maybe 3 games for the rest of the year, I've become super casual in what I play these days. :p

TimeLike

Louis Wu said:
He absolutely did imply that he thought people would be stupid to pay for access to a beta, just because it has 'Halo' in the title of it.

For clarification, I was trying to imply that MS thinks we're stupid or makes us feel stupid for rebuying stuff. I would never call you or anyone stupid. I'm not that guy. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

Louis Wu said:
I don't consider it 'rebuying content I already own' - for me, the stuff I'm getting with ODST that's new for me is worth the $60. Yes, I'm getting OTHER stuff I already have - but I don't really feel like I'm paying anything extra for it.

This makes a lot of sense. I love Bungie and all things Halo. I bought Crackdown. I bought Halo Wars w/ the Mythic maps. I suppose I need to reevaluate how much ODST's campaign and Firefight are worth to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom