• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How about deleting the ODST and Reach thread and incorporate all ODST discussion into this thread. There could be a title change too. Hmmmm?

zumphry

Banned
Hooray, work in progress, dull boring and sandy forged Sandbox map time! Yay!

dawnrockets.jpg

dawnctfjump.jpg

dawnchopper.jpg

Now I just have to change spawn times, move/add spawn locations, set it up for Slayer, CTF, Assault, and Territories, and put in respawn areas. Though, I can already see flaws with the map by how fast games of CTF and Assault will be, so I might just scrap the whole thing. Plus, it's a bit too small for even 2 Choppers, 2 Ghosts, and 2 Mongooses.

EazyB

Banned
There should definitely be an ODST thread for the countless gaffers that don't participate in this wild thing we call HaloGAF. The people that don't want to hear about people's MM complaints and forging. I really think that ODST related posts will undoubtedly find their way into here though and I don't think that's a bad thing. Once the pixel counting Halo haters invade the official ODST thread I'mma bail out of there and post here.

Ramirez said:
I can't believe the same people who still post in this thread and probably play Halo 3 more than once a week are complaining about the price of ODST. I could see the casuals, but if you're still playing Halo 3 this long after release I'm fairly certain you'll get your money's worth out of ODST as well.

I dunno, maybe it's because I only plan on buying like maybe 3 games for the rest of the year, I've become super casual in what I play these days. :p
There's not that many complaining about it actually. It's just that its pricetag is definitely debatable for those that aren't playing Halo 3 every week.

And the fact that there seems to be no plans to release the 3 delayed maps outside of the $60 ODST package is completely ridiculous. Almost Halo Wars level of bullshit.

Ramirez

EazyB said:
There's not that many complaining about it actually. It's just that its pricetag is definitely debatable for those that aren't playing Halo 3 every week.

And the fact that there seems to be no plans to release the 3 delayed maps outside of the $60 ODST package is completely ridiculous. Almost Halo Wars level of bullshit.

Midship=dolla dolla :lol

big ander

EazyB said:
Agree on that. I want ODST to do well, and I am, of course, getting it release day, but releasing 3 maps only in a $60 package would make a lot of people a lot of angry.

urk said:
Yeah, Shishka could probably speak a bit better to the plans, but I believe there will be a couple of lists loaded up for those rocking all 24 maps. Don't quote me. It's my first day. I check with some people who know stuff and make sure we detail that all out soon.

So that's a little vague, do you guys think he means something like there'll be Team Mythic Slayer and Team Mythic Objective added to the current lists, or to go the more pessimistic route, we'll see Team Slayer, Big Team Battle, Doubles etc. etc. go All DLC required?

I know most are fine with the DLC/playlist implementation as it is, but if people don't find that second option incredibly offensive, I'll be very shocked.

Oh and I think I've said it before, but you can't inherently judge someone elses value judgement on something. Everyone's value judgement on ODST is gonna be different, especially with all the maps being in there, while only some have bought them.

Someone puts a price on something, either it'll sell, or it won't. If lots people buy it, that's all the justification they need to sell it at that price.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tashi0106 said:
How about deleting the ODST and Reach thread and incorporate all ODST discussion into this thread. There could be a title change too. Hmmmm?

Nah, it's going to be tough for someone who strolls GAF to start talking about ODST in a thread that's already at 105K+.

New thread for ODST would be nice. It's a new game, after all.

"The Halo 3: ODST Thread of Chief takes a back seat". Do it!
again!

KevinRo

Ramirez said:
I can't believe the same people who still post in this thread and probably play Halo 3 more than once a week are complaining about the price of ODST. I could see the casuals, but if you're still playing Halo 3 this long after release I'm fairly certain you'll get your money's worth out of ODST as well.

I dunno, maybe it's because I only plan on buying like maybe 3 games for the rest of the year, I've become super casual in what I play these days. :p

dude, i'm poor as shit man. i'd gladly take another free code with just the 3 new maps. the sad truth is that i can't afford the game and it sucks that they are charging $60 dollars for this shit. i dont even want the single player or firefight, i just want fucking midship.

looks like everyone will be playing ODST without me :'(.

Oh and i can't even afford a new wired controller.

wtfux, no one is buying my 50's. come on, someone out there wants an alt 50 in mlg. come on :'(

Ramirez said:
I'm pretty sure that if you complained enough and got someone higher up that they would repair it if it's the RROD. I've had 7 consoles repaired, one of them 2-3 times. I broke down a year or so ago like you and bought and Elite because I thought my luck would be better. It's currently sitting under my TV with a RROD. :Lol
Dude, sucks about your console, too. I'm thinking about calling them up, but I'm not sure if I want to sit through hours and hours of speaking to some outsourced foreign guy that I can barely understand.
I need a bigger HDD than the 20gb that I have now, so I may go out and buy that. Even if I do have to pay $100 dollars or so to fix it, I'm debating whether it will be easier just to go out and buy a new console altogether. I mean, I can get a pro for $300 with a 60gb HDD with the Jasper and HDMI support. I'm not sure if the Arcade version has either of those.

Kujo

EazyB said:
And the fact that there seems to be no plans to release the 3 delayed maps outside of the $60 ODST package is completely ridiculous.
Exactly, I've bought every map pack for H3 and to be denied of getting the final one without buying another full price game ($100 here) would be BS. I may pick up ODST eventually, but people should still have the option to purchase the maps on their own.

Ramirez

KevinRo said:
dude, i'm poor as shit man. i'd gladly take another free code with just the 3 new maps. the sad truth is that i can't afford the game and it sucks that they are charging $60 dollars for this shit. i dont even want the single player or firefight, i just want fucking midship.

looks like everyone will be playing ODST without me :'(.

Oh and i can't even afford a new wired controller.

wtfux, no one is buying my 50's. come on, someone out there wants an alt 50 in mlg. come on :'(

I find it hard to believe that a grown man can't save 60 bucks over the course of a year if he wanted a game that badly. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Mojo said:
Exactly, I've bought every map pack for H3 and to be denied of getting the final one without buying another full price game would be BS. I may pick up ODST eventually, but people should still have the option to purchase the maps.

At first, Microsoft said the only way to get the Flashback Map Pack for Gears of War 2 is if you bought a NEW copy of the game.

Couple months later and it's up on XBLM for 400 points. Don't worry, the same thing will happen with the last three maps once the sales of ODST go to a slow, steady decline.

Kujo

Domino Theory said:
At first, Microsoft said the only way to get the Flashback Map Pack for Gears of War 2 is if you bought a NEW copy of the game.

Couple months later and it's up on XBLM for 400 points. Don't worry, the same thing will happen with the last three maps once the sales of ODST go to a slow, steady decline.
I hope so, but anything more than 3 months later would be pushing it.

Sai-kun

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
I agree. It should be a little more unique so other users don't mistake it for the 2 year old Halo 3 thread.

I agree.

OFFICIAL HALO 3: ODST THREAD OF GET THE FUCK OUT, MASTER CHIEF. NATHAN FILLION'S HERE. YEAH.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dax01 said:
I just found out that this weekend's Double EXP is Living Dead. Gotta make up for lost time now!

F yeah! Is it still ranked? I need my overkill :(

Should be "The Halo 3: ODST thread of Halo 2, but better"

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Lame, it looks exactly like this one. Add some spazz.
I absolutely hate, with a hateful hatred that is full of hate, superfluous thread titles. They clutter up the forum and half the time I can't even tell what the damn thread is about (Shard is the worst at that crap, with the box office threads on the OT a runner up).

So no, I'm not going the "Official Thread of Halo 3:ODST of *witty crap*" route.

I'll think about another way to differentiate the thread titles. But it's not my fault both are called Halo 3.

Blueblur1 said:
I agree. It should be a little more unique so other users don't mistake it for the 2 year old Halo 3 thread.
The one that doesn't have over 100,000 posts is not the ODST thread. Of course, I could always just request this one be locked....

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
I absolutely hate, with a hateful hatred that is full of hate, superfluous thread titles. They clutter up the forum and half the time I can't even tell what the damn thread is about (Shard is the worst at that crap, with the box office threads on the OT a runner up).

So no, I'm not going the "Official Thread of Halo 3:ODST of *witty crap*" route.

I'll think about another way to differentiate the thread titles. But it's not my fault both are called Halo 3.

Well, requesting this one be locked should do it.

You're anal today.

How about "Get SET for a combat drop - The Halo 3: ODST Thread"

or

"The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread - Prepare to Drop."

Blueblur1

Whoa! We gotta save this bad boy then! There must be some way to save the first few hundred pages at the very least... Well, it probably can't be done. So many memories will go *poof*! D;

Regardless of what we want to do, we're going to have to follow what the mods and admins decide. I guess after 1,000 posts the new thread might feel like home. Maybe.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
You're anal today.
I'm always anal.
Domino Theory said:
How about "Get SET for a combat drop - The Halo 3: ODST Thread"

or

"The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread - Prepare to Drop."
How about

Prepare to Drop: The Halo 3 ODST Thread

or

The Official Thread of Halo 3: Orbital Drop Shock Troopers

or

The Official Halo 3 ODST Thread

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even before I signed up to GAF I followed this thread from the beginning. It was either this or a hype thread that I was watching, and I nearly exploded when I saw the flamethrower was revealed :(

Is this the largest GAF thread? Or have there been larger game threads?

Also ^ I like the first one.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm always anal.

How about

Prepare to Drop: The Halo 3 ODST Thread

or

The Official Thread of Halo 3: Orbital Drop Shock Troopers

or

The Official Halo 3 ODST Thread
I like the first one the best, but it's missing "official."
enzo_gt said:
Even before I signed up to GAF I followed this thread from the beginning. It was either this or a hype thread that I was watching, and I nearly exploded when I saw the flamethrower was revealed :(

Is this the largest GAF thread? Or have there been larger game threads?

Also ^ I like the first one.
Yes.

Blueblur1

Ramirez said:
It's not like we won't migrate back to this thread in 2 weeks anyways.
Without any new posts to bump it, this thread will last 6 or 7 days maximum. If it falls off the last page of Gaming Discussion, we'll lose it forever.

Kibbles

The Official Thread of Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie's Halo 3: Orbital Drop Shock Troopers - A Game Once Called Halo 3: Recon

Very attractive.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kibbles said:
The Official Thread of Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie's Halo 3: Orbital Drop Shock Troopers - A Game Once Called Halo 3: Recon

Very attractive.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread of it was supposed to be announced at E3 2008 but Don Mattrick was a poop head in not only delaying the announcement but spoiling it to MTV's blog for the lolz and when it was finally announced at a Japanese game show it was called Halo 3: Recon which it isn't called that anymore since it's now called Halo 3: ODST while it comes with 3 maps that we can't download unless we pay $60 wtf MS.

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:
The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread of it was supposed to be announced at E3 2008 but Don Mattrick was a poop head in not only delaying the announcement but spoiling it to MTV's blog for the lolz and when it was finally announced at a Japanese game show it was called Halo 3: Recon which it isn't called that anymore since it's now called Halo 3: ODST while it comes with 3 maps that we can't download unless we pay $60 wtf MS.
Winner.

Kibbles

I demand whoever isn't allowing video camera at the ODST thing, to allow it! This guy got like 10 seconds of (horrible) footage before he was told to stop recording. This kinda sucks for those who can't go.

Blueblur1

Kibbles said:
I demand whoever isn't allowing video camera at the ODST thing, to allow it! This guy got like 10 seconds of (horrible) footage before he was told to stop recording. This kinda sucks for those who can't go.
It's probably a Microsoft mandate. It is very stupid though. It's just Firefight.

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
It's probably a Microsoft mandate. It is very stupid though. It's just Firefight.
Especially strange considering all the off-screen Firefight footage taken at conferences over the past couple months.

Nutter

This thread will live on till Reach.. I honestly doubt you (yes I am talking to all of you) will only play Firefight for your MP fix.

BTW.. Played Firefight today.. and the pistol. too much recoil and too many shots needed to take down brutes(with shields/armor)(exactly how is this weapon being called the new BR? I have no idea) Also there is very little lunge when you go to melee an enemy.

Kibbles

Nutter said:
This thread will live on till Reach.. I honestly doubt you (yes I am talking to all of you) will only play Firefight for your MP fix.

BTW.. Played Firefight today.. and the pistol. too much recoil and too many shots needed to take down brutes(with shields/armor)(exactly how is this weapon being called the new BR? I have no idea) Also there is very little lunge when you go to melee an enemy.
BR will be added in an update, it's k. Right Bungle?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nutter said:

They don't want to admit that the BR is the new BR is the new BR.

Striker

Nutter said:

Little to no lunge is a good thing.

I wonder how much melee it takes to take down a Brute in ODST.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Domino Theory said:
Nah, it's going to be tough for someone who strolls GAF to start talking about ODST in a thread that's already at 105K+.

New thread for ODST would be nice. It's a new game, after all.

"The Halo 3: ODST Thread of Chief takes a back seat". Do it!
again!

You think so? I imagine that 95% of the conversation from ODST's release and on will be about ODST and the rest sprinkled with other maps and playlist ish.

edit: I'm keeping this thread alive until it's locked.

EazyB

Banned
Nutter said:

I was never quite sold on the pistol. Looks like they really want players to experience the colorful sandbox the Halo 3 experience delivers. You don't even get that much ammo for the thing I hear.

It definitely seems like Bungie's trying to move away from the hardcore to get them a wider appeal. In Halo 2 you had the ultra BR, Halo 3 introduced us to the old and busted BR, and now ODST has none. Pretty sure Halo Reach will be nothing but swords, ARs, and melees.

Glad to hear they've tonned down the melee lung in ODST though. It's probably only a ODST-specific nerf and we'll get an even bigger one come Reach but at least we have a brief break from it.

But seriously, of all the weapons to remove from ODST, why the BR? How did that benefit the game?

Tashi0106 said:
I'm keeping this thread alive until it's locked.
You and me both, man. As much as I love reading "why do I have to use two disc in ODST" and "these graphics are lame", it's going to take a lot for me to bring any Halo discussion to the greater GAF populace.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:
It definitely seems like Bungie's trying to move away from the hardcore to get them a wider appeal. In Halo 2 you had the ultra BR, Halo 3 introduced us to the old and busted BR, and now ODST has none. Pretty sure Halo Reach will be nothing but swords, ARs, and melees.
They have to cater to both, but I have yet to see how Halo has been watered down as it's gone.

That said, I don't see how a single thing in ODST is tailored to give it a wider appeal. The setting, the story, the structure, the visual style, the characters, the secrets, Firefight, the pistol, the
Engineers
, the
audio logs
, even the two symmetrical arena maps bundled with it are all culled right from the Hardcore Book of Wishes. If there's a newbification off Halo it is on hiatus for ODST.

Booshka

I know most of you probably don't like "Professional" Halo 3, but MLG is going to have an exhibition of ODST at there upcoming event this Friday-Sunday. They will probably show the new maps more than the Recon part of the game, but it's still a good way of seeing people playing the new game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EazyB said:
But seriously, of all the weapons to remove from ODST, why the BR? How did that benefit the game?

I always thought they went hand in hand, ODSTs and BRs. Seemed like a perfect fit. And they're not even in firefight? Uber weird. Maybe there is a replacement for the BR and Luke is creaming his jeans behind the scenes. Hopefully there are some brand new [UNSC] weapons to toy around with.

I'm still 10x more pumped for Reach though. I love my Halo and I don't want it to ever leave me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom