• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00rn

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
You should be ashamed because it's a completely immature thing to do in the first place, and then to take a picture and post it on here makes it that much worse.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see why I should be "ashamed" of breaking a piece of plastic. I don't see anything wrong with being a bit "immature" at times either as long as it's confined and doesn't directly affect someone else in a negative way.

The only way to make me ashamed was if I turned my frustrations towards my family instead of the piece of plastic. Breaking the disc means I'm done, I can just move on, cuddle myself into bed, wake up tomorrow, kiss my gf goodbye and go greet my coworkers with a smile on my face, knowing that my life does not only consist of serious business, but also a tad of harmless "immatureness" and "imperfectness" - Now and then. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And that was my last post on the subject.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bj00rn said:
I respect your opinion, but I don't see why I should be "ashamed" of breaking a piece of plastic. I don't see anything wrong with being a bit "immature" at times either as long as it's confined and doesn't directly affect someone else in a negative way.

The only way to make me ashamed was if I turned my frustrations towards my family instead of the piece of plastic. Breaking the disc means I'm done, I can just move on, cuddle myself into bed, wake up tomorrow, kiss my gf goodbye and go greet my coworkers with a smile on my face, knowing that my life does not only consist of serious business, but also a tad of harmless "immatureness" and "imperfectness" - Now and then. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And that was my last post on the subject.

That came out of my salary, bitch.

SpudBud

7wyqgea.jpg

6pgx6bn.jpg

This is Two Base. It's good for CTF, Assault and could be "good" for TS. Feel free to give me some feed back, especially on the spawns.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/FileShare.aspx?gamertag=SpudxBud

Insaniac

Just about Finished with my third Foundry Map: Pitfall

A 3 story map all enclosed within boxes.

On the top floor a fierce open close-combat battle only becomes fiercer when you head to the middle and lower floors to access more powerful weapons and fight in tight corridors and hallways!

Pics and file upload soon!

Insaniac

Alright, I'm finished with my third map:

Pitfall

Combat takes place on 3 stories, and its always fierce!
Supports Slayer, Team Slayer and CTF

Download here: http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/FileShare.aspx?gamertag=Lintendo64

Be sure to check out: Great Wall and Rumble Pit

Screens of Pitfall (But you really need to play it to see it!):

Top Floor:
15338496-Full.jpg

Second Floor:
15338564-Full.jpg

First Floor:
15338660-Full.jpg

How to get from the bottom floors to the top:
15338721-Full.jpg

As always, comments criticisms are welcome!

armubaba

MaizeRage25 said:
I hope you're not a Michigan fan, it's fucking painful.

I would also accept depressing.

EDIT: I checked YOUR profile, and see you're from Ohio so it's unlikely.

:lol :lol :lol

Prepare for some awesome OSU-centric messages my friend.

PS: We're losers, damnit. Nobody wants to touch the program. Hold me. Tight.

DD-11

Anyone got any tips on placing things in forge with precision? It seems almost impossible to get things to align perfectly.

Dirtbag

armubaba said:
:lol :lol :lol

Prepare for some awesome OSU-centric messages my friend.

PS: We're losers, damnit. Nobody wants to touch the program. Hold me. Tight.

It's alright, he won't have a leg to stand on after my LSU tigers rip his OSU boys a new one.

and for the record, blame espn. I think Les Miles would have been your coach if he hadn't been forced to deny it on tv.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ok, i just made a map myself. I named it fort (lame), but i think it turned out really well. its a CTF or team slayer map based entirely in the large square area of foundry. i havent played "the great wall" map yet, but i admit, mine was influenced by the idea.

2110146882_a11f7cda75_b.jpg

floating walkway high above the rear of one of the bases (bases are mirror images of each other). from this angle you can see stairs leading up to the wall and one of 2 basic ways across from that access point (and the sword). note the flag tower.

2110146782_ed49717b1b_b.jpg

chaingun mounted in an elevated position along the flag tower. this image shows another route under the wall with a set of shield doors. it also shows the second path through the wall from the stairs. from this path you can continue around, hop the wall at the far end, or just lob grenades into the shield door area below you (which lacks a roof).

2110146682_8509972d46_b.jpg

one of the last ways through the wall, its a small, confined maze area with a shotgun in the middle.

the maps focus lays on the center dividing wall, high walkways above and around the map, and the ctf towers. i was going for a ****stone/hang em high feel without directly remaking it.

i havent gotten a chance to test this map out with more then a few people, but would love to tonight if anyone is down. its in my file share (LoopOfHenle http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/FileShare.aspx?gamertag=LoopOfHenle)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Striker said:
op_ivy,

Looks really cool. Going to download it!

awesome, please critique it.

i just played with a friend in team slayer and picked his brains. he was really impressed, but one thing i discovered is that for team slayer i'll need to adjust the spawns, as right now each team always spawns on their side ala ctf matches.

speaking of ctf, i'm really curious to see how that would play out 4 on 4. the way i designed the layout i think that once you nab the flag scoring maybe relatively easy, but actually grabbing the flag may be difficult. kind of the opposite of most ctf maps.

Tieno

The Podcast with Marty was very good. I loved how you guys went over the old days and the reasoning, feelings and happenings behind the MS buyout. Fascinating.

Wow! I just watched the Bungie Humpday played on The Great Wall and man oh man does that shit look fun! I need to play that in a competitive setting for ultimate justice!:D

Tieno said:
The Podcast with Marty was very good. I loved how you guys went over the old days and the reasoning, feelings and happenings behind the MS buyout. Fascinating.
You didn't want to "cut 'em" for their teasings about Halo 2's previous ending dialogue files Marty has but won't release?

For those who are disenchanted with matchmaking...

As of late, Ascendant Justice, has experienced our clan atrophy - a lot of people who've defected to Call of Duty 4. The remnants of our group are pretty much a skeleton crew now, so we're willing to take on some outsiders (something we typically don't do) on a trial basis to see if we can get some quality customs in for the new maps.

We're a pretty serious group of guys who use BR-starts to lessen the negative return of the melee system and 5-second motion sensor at start to prevent spawn camping. For us, most of my crew ran with M6Ds in Halo 1 and BR55's in Halo 2, so BR-starts is a natural extension and its precision elminates or downsizes the impact of the melee arbitration issue. We also roll with no radar in our team games, because we feel that it creates a stronger cooperative focus. These key elements make our 'ASC' gametypes a blast to play when the teams are balanced.

So I guess this is an open call for anyone who's interested in playing something different than matchmaking. If you're having trouble enjoying Halo 3's default settings, either download some of the gametypes from my file share and check them out or simply drop me PM here and I'll hook you up with an invite to our next group match.

In other news: Rat's Nest is easily the best map of the bunch here. The variety of combat on that map and the fact that every square inch is a beautiful choke point of bloodlust is brilliant. If Valhalla is the healthy evolution of Blood Gulch and Coagulation, then Rat's Nest has to be what happens when Terminal and Headlong had children.

Sean

Banned
Rat's Nest is my favorite Halo 3 map by far. It's fun as hell to drive around the "race track" on the edge, and the indoor/close quarter combat in the middle is fun too. But most of all, the weapon and equipment loadout is absolutely perfect. There's equipment everywhere and it makes the fights much more dynamic. Every mode I've played on it was fun - Territories, Multi-Flag CTF, Team Slayer... awesome map.

Unfortunately I get stuck with fucking tards, the few times I've actually gotten Standoff games, two or three people on my team quit right away. I have yet to play a "proper" game on that map where I wasn't outnumbered. But from my limited playtime with it, seems like the warthog is too powerful on it - I wish there was mongooses only.

alisdair

Sean said:
But from my limited playtime with it, seems like the warthog is too powerful on it
From my slightly less limited playtime, it's definitely not---except for Territories. For TS, Assault, and CTF, the warthog is very useful but also possible to counter. Apart from the obvious laser and rockets, there are sticky grenades, power drains, and don't forget a charged plasma pistol will also stop it.

It's kind of awkward in Territories, and my team didn't adjust to it in time for the one game we played, but I don't think it's overpowered by any means.

NJ Shlice

I finally finished the map I've been working on in Forge.

It's called Tubesock Suprise, and it can be found HERE

It is a Sniper map, can be played FFA or Teams. HERE is Sniper FFA Gametype

It is influenced by Boarding Action. Two opposite sides with nothing in the middle. However, each side has a Man Cannon to take them to a "Sniper Perch" that gives you a good angle at the other base, but very little cover. There is a Bubble Shield up there though.

Pics:

15407464-Full.jpg

15407495-Full.jpg

All levels have access to go up or down a level:
15407646-Full.jpg

15407821-Full.jpg

15407831-Full.jpg

15407608-Full.jpg

15407650-Full.jpg

15407900-Full.jpg

ENJOY!!

Gowans

Right Im gona download the map pack in an hour (Held off for the 800 points thing but sack it I have a night in tonight and its halo), hit me up guys for some games or general forge dickingarounding gona be all most of the night with these.

Mr Jared

NJ x Falkor said:
I finally finished the map I've been working on in Forge.

It's called Tubesock Suprise, and it can be found HERE

It is a Sniper map, can be played FFA or Teams. HERE is Sniper FFA Gametype

It is influenced by Boarding Action. Two opposite sides with nothing in the middle. However, each side has a Man Cannon to take them to a "Sniper Perch" that gives you a good angle at the other base, but very little cover. There is a Bubble Shield up there though.

I'm not a sniper fan, but this is really cool. Very Enemy at the Gates.

TDG

Banned
I'm trying to build something in Forge, and I'm really wishing there were some sort of columns/pillars. It's hard to build some things using a sign to support you second level when you want there to be walking space below.

Insaniac

the disgruntled gamer said:
I'm trying to build something in Forge, and I'm really wishing there were some sort of columns/pillars. It's hard to build some things using a sign to support you second level when you want there to be walking space below.

Use single/double boxes, then once you place the upper levle, delete the lower ones

If the second floor items are immovable objects, they will never fall (unless you manipulate em in forge again)

Really awesome update this week. I love the new maps too. It seems like just when other games finished distracting me from Halo 3, it has now sucked me right back in.

I espcially liked this part:

Frankie said:
· Symmetrical arena maps for competitive play.

· Returning classics demanded by the fans.

· Crazy new stuff you never expected.

· Unusual maps with lots of potential for interesting game types.

· Graphically spectacular settings.

· More Forge objects to use on new maps.

· Surprises.

Sean

Banned
this

· Symmetrical arena maps for competitive play.

· Returning classics demanded by the fans.

along with this:

SC: We definitely get feedback from the community, which helps a lot. We also have our own internal desires to get more small maps, more arena style maps, more asymmetrical maps in the game.

= Midship remake confirmed.

Saw this in the Weekly Update:

We have also tried various maps modifications with items like stairs and rolling wire spools...

And wondered if anyone has used some angled bridges and rolling wire spools to make a Donkey Kong re-make? I may try, but I'm still getting the hang of precise placement in Forge.

Sean said:
= Midship remake confirmed.

I'd say Midship is probably the map that's #1 on the fan wanted list and since Halo 3 doesn't have an overwhelming number of very small maps I'd say a Midship remake is something we can count on. As for other possible remakes, it's up in the air. I would like to see Boarding Action personally but I think the majority of us want different things after Midship so Bungie will pick a map that they feel will fill a gap in Halo 3 when remade. We'll have to wait and see.

Has anyone made a 2Fort clone in Foundry yet?

That's a pretty good idea. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend. Or maybe that Halo 2 map that was a remake from Halo: CE...With the conveyor belts...Elongation! Maybe I'll give that a shot this weekend.

antispin

Can someone spoiler the ending for me please? Just finished SP after a marathon 4-hour run without saving, and found out that there is a cutscene after the credits. Last save is 4 hours back, so, what's that cutscene about?
(Can't believe the game didn't autosave at the end.)

Thanks!

Sean

Banned
I just watched The Great Wall video on Bungie favorites, that map looks hella fun and needs to be put in matchmaking ASAP!

antispin said:
Can someone spoiler the ending for me please? Just finished SP after a marathon 4-hour run without saving, and found out that there is a cutscene after the credits. Last save is 4 hours back, so, what's that cutscene about?

Thanks!

Just start Halo at the last rally point...

GhaleonEB

antispin said:

Thanks!
Head here and scroll down to "final cutscene (standard)" for the second half of the ending.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
antispin said:

Thanks!
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_%28Halo_3_Level%29

Nutter

I know this will be redundant, complaining about the level system in the game.

But I would just like to know who decided this exp/leveling method is good?
I played 11 Doubles games, with a friend who was level 39, i was a 46. by the time we stopped he was a 45 and i was a 47.
Where is the logic in that? ( At this rate he will get to 50 before i will )

GhaleonEB

So, I made a map on Foundry. All the kids were doing it, so I figured, what the hell.

Before I embarrass myself with this, an epic caveat: I made this mostly for my own amusement. Forge is fun to tinker with, and I wanted to see if I could take a concept through to completion. I don't play tons of MP, and so don't have a good feel for what makes a good MP map. I deliberately didn't download any one else's creation yet, partly to have a go at it fresh, and partly because I know my effort would pale by comparison. I didn't want to lose motivation, as Itagaki would say. But I wanted to try making a CTF map that I would like to play on. I had a sloppier version that had a couple of the same ideas, but I nuked it and started mostly over last night.

Slingshot

The concept is simple: Foundry is split down the middle by a double-decker stack of cargo containers, and the only way across is via a pair of man cannons on either side. Launching from the built-in base lands you either on the opposite corner of the map, or on top of the wall, depending how you angle it.

You start inside the base, as might be expected. The closest man cannon is right outside the front door, up a ramp.

Base.jpg

Looking towards the bases as I launch over -

TowardsBases.jpg

And the reverse view, from the edge of the outcropping. Landing zone is the bottom of the ramp in the distance. *OR* - and this is crucial - the top end of the wall, if I slow momentum on the way down just right.

Launching.jpg

From there a couple of options present themselves: go high, or go low. The high route is a pair of bridges, with shield doors blocking direct fire between them. It is most vulnerable to direct fire from the opposing base, but has cover along the way which can be utilized. A man cannon is placed to fire back to the outside of the base you just came from.

Arrival.jpg

The low road has a tunnel on one side formed by a series of three separated cargo containers, with lots of room to weave between them, the dividing wall and the open containers on the other side. It's open to direct fire from the base, but lots of cover just means they can just glimpse you weaving towards them unless you stand out in the middle. Each of the six cargo containers down below holds goodies, as seen here -

DownBelow.jpg

As you can see above, there's a Mongoose on each side. The lane alongside the dividing wall is plenty wide enough to accommodate it, but attackers need to make sure the coast is clear first. It's wide open down that stretch.

The high two halves of the top route split at the end, with one side going up to what I call the summit, and the other dropping off at the corner. The summit has a perfect view into the base, but an attacker is also very vulnerable. The Spartan Laser resides up there. Of course, the defending team should have it by then, as there's a grav lift at the bottom of the drop off. The idea was to make getting to the end of the bridges feel like a gauntlet, where an individual can get that far. Getting into the base, though, requires teamwork.

Gauntlet.jpg

The low path is protected from direct fire up until the corner, but it's a very wide open corner. Oh, and there's stuff that blows up on the corner.

WideCorner.jpg

The defending base can has a lone turret with a view of the entire gauntlet, the top of the wall and the lower corner. The explosives just peek around the corner -

TakeCare.jpg

- so caution is advised when charging out into the open. How do you get past such a wide gulf?

ControltheWall.jpg

With teamwork. Remember how the man cannons near the base are designed to land either on the opposite side of the wall or, if you slow down mid-flight, to land on top of it? Controlling the wall is crucial, as that will allow for suppressing fire onto the turret and into the base. It also has the side-effect of having man cannon from each base launching people to the same spot on top of the dividing wall. Anyone on the wall is a sitting duck, of course, but it's key to suppressing fire so the guys on the ground can get to the base. Attackers down below can use the built-in stairs or use an object to climb the end of the catwalk and enter the built-in tunnel to get into the base where the flag is. There front of the base is wide open, no windows.

Once a flag is grabbed, the player has a choice - take the man cannon to land on the far end of their side of the map, or run down to the far man cannon which will launch them directly to their own base. All the pros and cons of running the gauntlet from the other end apply.

I imagine a 6 vs 6 game where control of the wall is constantly see-sawing back and forth, and players are launching back and forth constantly. (Thus the name of the map.) There are NO sniper rifles on the map, so the top will be controlled with the two Spartan Lasers, or Carbines/BR. The lone rocket launcher is in the middle. The map seems to have a good flow to it as I move around, but probably plays like crap in reality.

I don't have it finished - needs spawn points and flags still. And as the first pic shows, a few tweaks to make it perfectly symmetrical. I'll toss it in my file share tomorrow on the off chance that someone wants to try it out.

Even if no one ever plays on it, I've had a hoot the past few days doodling it up, creating it, and generally tooling around in Forge. It's a tool I wasn't really excited about until I tried it. My hat off to the Bungie guys that designed this baby - I've never done anything like this before, and I dig it. And I can't wait to start seeing what the rest of the community has come up with. Great Wall is at the top of my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom