• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tieno

fin said:
Does Bungie still have access to the Banhammer?

I was thinking that the split from Microsoft would've affected Bungie's grip...
They're probably less restricted now they're 'independent' and more power hungry than ever, as evident by Stinkles blatant abuse and urge to quell urk's critical voice.

Also, Stinkles the size of your new avatar is over the allowed dimensons of 90x120. You don't want to get one of those "I didn't read the faq" avatars.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117729

Stinkles said:
I have your gamertag and a banhammer button. It is like asking Star Jones to guard a pie.

Well he's somehow right: It's been quite a while you know! Although I'm SOO excited you guys are back! Please stay on the weekly schedule from now on, k?

voltron

Cocopjojo said:
This time the computer that has the editing software died. And yeah, this is pretty annoying. This is Bungie. They just shipped a game that made more money than anything ever, basically. I would expect them to have a regular podcast, with a page dedicated to it on B.net. If a computer breaks, you install Pro Tools on another computer and pull the audio off of the dead computer's HDD before you ship it off to get it fixed. And if it takes forever to upload to MS's servers, you have a talk with MS about making it faster. It's just really unprofessional. Look at Insomniac's podcast page for an example of something done well.

In all seriousness, I thought this is what they brought Luke on for. To have someone to make sure that the podcast gets done and is on time. I've been in pro audio for seven years now, and when things break or don't go right (which they do), I'm expected to have a backup plan. It's not that the company would collapse if I didn't get the show delivered to the TV station on time or if a mic's batteries are dead when the gig starts - it's about professionalism. If Frank and Sketch aren't available, he hunts down other people to come on. If no one can talk about anything that's in development, then you get some of the more obscure Bungie employees to come on and tell old stories about the Halo 2 development process. Again, I thought this was why they hired Luke. If he's been given other responsibilites and is too busy to handle the podcast, then they should bring on someone else.

Bungie doesn't owe us a podcast. It's just really odd for one of the most productive and popular game studios to not have a regular podcast. It's disappointing.

Agree with all that. They of course dont owe us a goddam thing.

JdFoX187

Banned
Was reading the update, there's only three maps in this latest pack. Is that all the DLC there'll be? If so, kind of disappointing considering Halo 3 shipped with less maps and would have five less DLC maps.

Chinner

Banned
update_howsthiswork.jpg

Bad boys, bad boys whatcha want
Whatcha gonna do when sheriff John Brown
come for you tell me whatcha gonna do.

TDG

Banned
Bah! Still no screens!

Anger ensues.

ALSO: I wonder if any of the future maps will be set on the new Installation 04. That could be cool.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
“Cottonball” reminds me allot of Sidewinder...

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13174
I know, I know! I've been thinking that the whole time. Everything they've said makes it sound like Sidewinder, except for this:

For some reason, massive and labyrinthine as it is, this new map never confuses me.

I can't think of any place in Sidewinder that would be considered labyrinthine. So, urghh... Hopefully they haven't changed too much about it. How are the teleports going to be handled? Honestly, if it is Sidewinder, I hope the teleports are left in. Those practically defined the map for me.

Man, I love Sidewinder so much. I really hope that it is coming, and that it is true to its original design.

t4ng0

Cocopjojo said:
I know, I know! I've been thinking that the whole time. Everything they've said makes it sound like Sidewinder, except for this:

I can't think of any place in Sidewinder that would be considered labyrinthine. So, urghh... Hopefully they haven't changed too much about it. How are the teleports going to be handled? Honestly, if it is Sidewinder, I hope the teleports are left in. Those practically defined the map for me.

Man, I love Sidewinder so much. I really hope that it is coming, and that it is true to its original design.
I'm imagining a graphically stunning, slightly smaller revamped sidewinder- possibly with protected man-cannons along the edges?

t4ng0

Stinkles said:
No. Who ever said that?
But Bungie is usually pretty transparent with detailed descriptions of what they're working on, so I'd say its safe to assume this is all we're getting.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
t4ng0 said:
I'm imagining a graphically stunning, slightly smaller revamped sidewinder- possibly with protected man-cannons along the edges?
No, no, no, no. It has to be Sidewinder. The Real Sidewinder.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
t4ng0 said:
But Bungie is usually pretty transparent with detailed descriptions of what they're working on, so I'd say its safe to assume this is all we're getting.
Do you know who Stinkles is?

t4ng0

Cocopjojo said:
Do you know who Stinkles is?
No, I don't stalk Gaffers.

of course i know

Also Coco, think about what sidewinder would be like with Halo 3's weapons. I too love the original sidewinder, but i don't think it would be the same without the pistol for long range duels. I'm not saying make it a medium sized map- but rather tweak the distances from base to rocket spawn so that BR battles can be had.

cluto

Cocopjojo said:
No, no, no, no. It has to be Sidewinder. The Real Sidewinder.
It's entirely likely that the bases were redesigned to have less ladders and more passages and airlifts with alternative tunnels exiting from the bases to deter campers from camping outside the bases. We know we're never going to get a DLC map that is exactly the same as an original, so one small detail that may make it seem less like Sidewinder doesn't necessarily mean it's not a new Sidewinder.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, what you guys are saying makes sense. That's what scares me. What I guess would be considered flaws in the map are what defined it for me. Hiding on the ladders with rockets, camping the teleports with shotguns... Sidewinder.

t4ng0

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, what you guys are saying makes sense. That's what scares me. What I guess would be considered flaws in the map are what defined it for me. Hiding on the ladders with rockets, camping the teleports with shotguns... Sidewinder.
oh, i see. *face of disgust*:lol

Kuroyume

Banned
They supported the previous game up to last year. If that's anything to go by then I think we'll be getting DLC for a few years... Hopefully. I don't like these 3 map chunks though... Give me 5.

Stinkles are you at liberty to discuss a possible Team Sniper ranked playlist? This is really the only thing Halo 3 is lacking IMO. Im DYING to get it into matchmaking.

Is it possible to patch the mp engine so that it runs smoother?

When playing for score do you score extra points for playing on harder settings like legendary?

neoism

The update was awesome, also glad to hear about the melee. But about this being the last map pack, I'm not sure myself I highly doubt it, but you never know. I personally think they should do a Classic map pack next a year or so from now. Have all the fans possible vote for any maps (halo1,2,pc) but the ones that have already been remade, and make the top 3 JUST( exactly) like the old map.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Bearillusion said:
Is it possible to patch the mp engine so that it runs smoother?
Smoother in what way? It's plenty smooth for me.

When playing for score do you score extra points for playing on harder settings like legendary?
Yes.

Did you guys here studio manager Harold Ryan slip when they were talking about the Halo CE pistol and say that it was "coming back"?

Does this mean we will see a Halo CE arcade release supporting Multiplayer? Or possibly DLC including new weapons?

Listen to the podcast from 16:00 minutes on and let me know what you think.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Bearillusion said:
Locked 30fps with no stutter. You don't get stutter with a locked framerate.
I'm fairly positive that it is locked. Being "locked" doesn't mean that there aren't problems for certain people on certain consoles.

i think i am the most excited for OK corral for some reason the feeling of a western like shooter in halo, not saying that is what it is but that is what i imagine, would just be awesome

JdFoX187 said:
Ever since DLC was mentioned, talk has mainly been on these two map packs. Great news to hear there'll be more though :D
Well we have to get moonbase alpha at some point :D and Art Vandelay. Or perhaps one of those maps have been renamed to Cotton ball?

Yeah, a big reason Tombstone was not as fun is because you didn't have the pistol that you did in HaloCE to start off with and immediately have the ability to shoot across the map. That was a big part of the reason the big maps were so awesome in HaloCE. Now you have a BR with an accuracy and effectiveness that is greatly reduced from distance. It's definitely changed the flow of Halo. Now vehicles have taken center stage, which is good if you love vehicles. Personally, I think they are whored too much.

Take standoff for instance. All people do is drive around in a warthog trying to rack up kills. I can't stand that stuff, especially in objective based games. And since grenades and stickies do almost nothing to bring it down, people get to drive around forever. How can grenades send a warthog flying across the map and not somehow damage the tires or the engine, or even more important, the passengers? This is why I still think plasma sticks should, at the very least, disable a warthog. If it doesn't hurt the passengers...fine. But a grenade would do some kind of damage.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BakedPigeon said:
Did you guys here studio manager Harold Ryan slip when they were talking about the Halo CE pistol and say that it was "coming back"?

Does this mean we will see a Halo CE arcade release supporting Multiplayer? Or possibly DLC including new weapons?

Listen to the podcast from 16:00 minutes on and let me know what you think.

Yeah, I didn't know what to make of it either.

I'm just going to continue along and say to myself "haha, nice joke".

Wizman23

Banned
What was the big thing that Harold let slip in the podcast? I hope its not the stupid pistol. Bringing that POS back to the way it was in CE will be going against everything Bungie has stated about weapon balance all through Halo 2 and 3.

I wonder if we will keep getting "new" maps through DLC and then this Summer Bungie releases a Greatest Hits retail disc that will include 10 of the best maps from Halo 1 and 2 redone for the 360 along with options that include things like the old scoped pistol.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wizman23 said:
What was the big thing that Harold let slip in the podcast?
"The pistol is coming back."

Halo 1 remade for the 360 with updated graphics and online co-op.
PLEASE

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Deputy Moonman said:
Well we have to get moonbase alpha at some point :D and Art Vandelay. Or perhaps one of those maps have been renamed to Cotton ball?
Art Vandelay is Foundry.

thatbox

Banned
One of the other fixes we’re looking at more carefully, is a gameplay tweak. Melee has certainly worked in Halo 3, but seen more than its fair share of criticism. We’re working to remedy some of its actual flaws, and perhaps just as importantly make aesthetic changes to some of its apparent flaws. As ever, we’re applying our not inconsiderable test resources to this matter – but more vitally, since much of the complaint comes from the community, competitive and otherwise, we’re working with that community to make sure that the revamped melee is a thing of beauty. We’ll tell you more about that process and more importantly, update you on when you can expect this change, in the next couple of weeks.
Yeah, baby! This is what I've been waiting for to pick it back up - if it's worked out properly, I'll even cough up the dough for the maps!

thatbox said:
Yeah, baby! This is what I've been waiting for to pick it back up - if it's worked out properly, I'll even cough up the dough for the maps!

Hmmm the melee works fine as it is if you ask me. If your going to try this game again just based off a minor melee system then maybe you need to ask yourself if you even like the game at all.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
"The pistol is coming back."

Halo 1 remade for the 360 with updated graphics and online co-op.
PLEASE
I thought it was interesting that Harold said Bungie is working on some "games" as well. I assumed they had multiple things going on, but that was the first I've noticed plural used specifically. Perhaps he's referring to the Chronicles project and something else.

A bit of deduction: Past Updates have said Bungie is working on two maps that are remakes. Luke has specified in an Update that Purple Reign is an original map. Therefore, unless they were talking about maps after this next set of three, both Cottonball and OK Corral are remakes. I can't think of another giant outdoors map other than Sidewinder that fits the loose description we've had for the former, so I'm assuming that's it. I've been guessing Sidewinder was one of the new maps for a while now.

Which leaves OK Corral. The description makes it sound a LOT like Headlong.

medium-to-large, asymmetrical map

but the more players there are, the more they tend to sprawl into the outer reaches of the maps, complete with collapsed buildings, wreckage-strewn structures and lots of rebar

Sniping spots are numerous

What it is about is mastering routes from one end to the other, and knowing high from low

Asymmetrical, just large enough for vehicles, collapsed buildings, important to know the high-to-low routes, lots of sniper positions. Sounds like Headlong to me.

BakedPigeon said:
Hmmm the melee works fine as it is if you ask me. If your going to try this game again just based off a minor melee system then maybe you need to ask yourself if you even like the game at all.

Considering every game involves dozens of melee deaths, his point is very valid.

thatbox

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
Or we could just not talk about this again!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Which leaves OK Corral. The description makes it sound a LOT like Headlong.

but the more players there are, the more they tend to sprawl into the outer reaches of the maps, complete with collapsed buildings, wreckage-strewn structures and lots of rebar

Sniping spots are numerous

What it is about is mastering routes from one end to the other, and knowing high from low
I don't know, dude. Some of the other things make it sound not at all like Headlong.

Could Headlong be considered medium-to-large?

It's just big enough to support vehicles, but in a Mongoose, it's effectively a confined deathtrap. Vehicles are only to be used in emergencies.
I used vehicles all the time in Headlong. I think most people did.

Striker

Great update, Stinkles.

"Cottonball" sounds very promising and I can't wait to see what it is. Glad to hear more Big Team maps are, in fact, on their way. With Rat's Nest, Valhalla, and Sandtrap being the primary, I really had hoped for at least one or two more large-scale maps. :D

OK Corral also sounds really fascinating. I'm anticipating these maps than any before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom