• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be home from an extended vacation in a week and back to my usual Halo obsession. having the new maps would certainly make it all the sweeter. :D

TheWolf

Banned
MarkMacD said:
A lot of people don't know that Luke wrote an epic 12-part Star Trek: Voyager / Star Wars crossover fan fiction while he was at 1up:

http://in-the-bottle.livejournal.com/212685.html

Won some awards, probably got him the job at Bungie. Just in time, too, since everyone at the office was sick as hell of hearing him talk about how hyperspace was more advanced than warp technology.

new theory: the planet at the end of Halo 3 is actually some sort of gateway into the world of Azeroth.

armubaba

Domino Theory said:
Alright, so, I gifted Thermite 1K points to buy the Heroic Map Pack, but after taking a peek at my checking account, I still have some money left to gift someone else [who lives in the US; gifting points is for US residents only at the time] points for the map pack.

Anyone?

Well, I do like me some Halo.

Penguin

Domino Theory said:
Alright, so, I gifted Thermite 1K points to buy the Heroic Map Pack, but after taking a peek at my checking account, I still have some money left to gift someone else [who lives in the US; gifting points is for US residents only at the time] points for the map pack.

Anyone?
I'm up for it if no one has claimed it yet. :D

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
MarkMacD said:
A lot of people don't know that Luke wrote an epic 12-part Star Trek: Voyager / Star Wars crossover fan fiction while he was at 1up:

Won some awards, probably got him the job at Bungie. Just in time, too, since everyone at the office was sick as hell of hearing him talk about how hyperspace was more advanced than warp technology.

OMG that's funny. :lol

t4ng0

Domino Theory said:
K, I'll gift all three of you 1K points.

Check your PMs!
domino's just dishing out the points- if only he could dish out the kills in halo :lol

in other news- just finished mass effect(first rpg)
wow @ story

Cocopjojo said:
Well, they didn't "make it up as they went along," but yeah, they planned out the missions first and then fitted the story around that. To be honest, I think that was a good decision. The story (IMO) wasn't that bad and while, as a hardcore fan, I would have liked a hardcore ending with answers to all of my questions, the gameplay in Halo 3 is superb, so it's obvious that their decision to go gameplay first, story second paid off. I've just recently finished playing campaign, solo, on Legendary and I have a new respect for both the story and the gameplay. Both are top-notch. You can always dream of more, in terms of story or gameplay, but the game is just so much fun... I don't have any desire for what could have been.

I'm halfway through my legendary run and loving it. Are we going to see another Halo game (FPS) on the 360?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MarkMacD said:

:lol Next Bungie game confirmed to focus on large scale space combat.

alisdair

MarkMacD said:
A lot of people don't know that Luke wrote an epic 12-part Star Trek: Voyager / Star Wars crossover fan fiction while he was at 1up
Wow. Why hasn't Kotaku picked up this breaking news yet? Someone should submit it.

deftangel

took a programming course
Cocopjojo said:
I've posted about it twice.

Fair one. I'd seen a lot of posts and pictures but it's a big thread. Even so, my main complaint would be doing a victory lap so often. If you actually wanted to make it fun for the other team, you'd give them a 2 flag head start!

Still like you say, Ranked BTB probably helps the situation. I'd be much more inclined to put my Rumble pit level 30 in jeopardy going for my last achievement if I've a ranked BTB to fall back on any maintain that shiny major status :D

It's only the hijacking one as well which everybody else seems to bloody have apart from me!

alisdair

deftangel said:
I'd be much more inclined to put my Rumble pit level 30 in jeopardy going for my last achievement if I've a ranked BTB to fall back on any maintain that shiny major status :D

It's only the hijacking one as well which everybody else seems to bloody have apart from me!
Three things:

- Your military rank is based on your highest-ever skill, not current-highest. So don't worry about your skill going down before you get the XP.

- Drive a ghost into a wall, it's pretty much the only way to get the achievement. I got it by accident in a game of Oddball on Snowbound.

- You can get that achievement in Rumble Pit (unranked), and you can go into Rumble Pit as a party, and you can arrange what you might want to do in the game. Just saying.

The only achievement I don't have is Mongoose Mowdown, and I'm never going to get it. I don't want to mess around in Lone Wolves as it's the only chance I have of getting to level 45, and even at level 40 no-one is stupid enough to be run down by a mongoose. It's a shitty, shitty achievement.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
alisdair said:
The only achievement I don't have is Mongoose Mowdown, and I'm never going to get it. I don't want to mess around in Lone Wolves as it's the only chance I have of getting to level 45, and even at level 40 no-one is stupid enough to be run down by a mongoose. It's a shitty, shitty achievement.

I got 'Mongoose Mowdown' strictly by accident jacking around with some friends during my lower-level days. Since then I seem to peak at like level 33 in Love Wolves. :(

neoism

Domino Theory said:

Anyone?

yes please !!
lol nm to late! :(

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Well, they didn't "make it up as they went along," but yeah, they planned out the missions first and then fitted the story around that. To be honest, I think that was a good decision. The story (IMO) wasn't that bad and while, as a hardcore fan, I would have liked a hardcore ending with answers to all of my questions, the gameplay in Halo 3 is superb, so it's obvious that their decision to go gameplay first, story second paid off. I've just recently finished playing campaign, solo, on Legendary and I have a new respect for both the story and the gameplay. Both are top-notch. You can always dream of more, in terms of story or gameplay, but the game is just so much fun... I don't have any desire for what could have been.
Yeah. I'll always be disappointed by the over-arching story, but the gameplay is where it's at. Everything came together in Halo 3 - the mission and encounter design, AI, environments, weapons/vehicle mix. I had a similar eye-opening experience playing through on Legendary my first time.

It's interesting - aside from a couple of choke points, I didn't have too tough of a time with Legendary solo, once I adjusted to it. I think the single hardest run I ever did was my first attempt of the first game on Legendary. I jumped from Normal to Legendary and wasn't ready for it; I must have done the part on the first level where there are Elites on the level above ("Elites! On the landing above us!") a few dozen times before I adjusted to it. And even then, many other classic battles took on an almost hopeless feel, as the odds were so stacked against a solo player. I loved it, because it was hard for the right reasons.

Now that I've played through Legendary a few times in Halo 3, I'm starting to change it up with the skulls. There's only a few that I like, but right now I'm inching my way through The Storm (still my favorite mission) with Thunderstorm, Catch, Mythic, Cowbell and Grunt Birthday Party turned on. It's unbelievably hard, but it reminds me of that first trek through Halo 1 on Legendary: hard, but very fun and rewarding. There's tons of options for how to tackle the encounters, and the AI design is such that I feel like I'm fighting formidable enemies, not cannon fodder. It's got more depth than any other action game I've ever played.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Major props for handing all of those out, Domino. That's a really nice thing to do.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Domino Theory said:
So sorry, bro. I really can't do anymore this time. :(

Once I get some more money, you'll hear me knockin'.

oh wow, thanks. yeah it's awesome that you keep giving them away, halo santa

cbox

Hey Frankie, is there any way for you to filter peoples stats? I'd love to see if I have the most splatters out of all halo players :lol

Such as this game...

awesome_sauce.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Cocopjojo said:
Major props for handing all of those out, Domino. That's a really nice thing to do.

Thanks. I've already given about 5 I think. Maybe more. The FOX free MS points inspired me. I was shocked to see people going out of their way to rob other people of 200 MS points; ranking up 15,000 points for three of their own accounts.

And plus, these maps are nothing short of absolutely amazing and everyone deserves to experience them as soon as possible.

Vespa

Off topic question: I just bought the NTSC-J version of Halo 1 and thought it would have Japanese audio, was looking forward to experiencing one of my favorite games in a new way but it's in English :(, I tired changing the Xbox language to Japanese too, no dice. Am I wrong in thinking it had a Japanese dub?

quick fanart:
spnkr2.jpg

Sai-kun said:
And there's nothing more satisfying than getting a Vehicular Manslaughter with the Ghost on that level :)

my favorite part of rats nest is waiting by the boxes on the track with a hammer and smacking a warthog that drives by

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
Rat's nest is awesome. I just wish people wouldn't veto assualt games so often because it's a blast on that map.
hehe

And yeah, I think Rat's Nest is one of the best maps Bungie has done; it's on the short list for Halo 3 as well. It's a very good slayer, assault and CTF map. It has one of the best balances between vehicles and infantry on any map.

GhaleonEB said:
hehe

And yeah, I think Rat's Nest is one of the best maps Bungie has done; it's on the short list for Halo 3 as well. It's a very good slayer, assault and CTF map. It has one of the best balances between vehicles and infantry on any map.
Yeah I was a bit disappointed that all three new maps were in human locations (and the next batch sound overwhelmingly human as well), but they play very well. The feel of the new maps reminds me of Halo 1 maps.

Rat's Nest reminds me of Chill Out, with the planks and walkways above ground level.

voltron

Podcast please. Where the hell is it?

Not to be as ass but how hard is it to upload to a fricken server? Seriously? Whats with this absurd window between finishing production and being able to download the thing that we always have to wait through?

Its getting annoying.

voltron said:

Not to be as ass but how hard is it to upload to a fricken server? Seriously? Whats with this absurd window between finishing production and being able to download the thing that we always have to wait through?

Its getting annoying.
Somebody has to lovingly massage the aural meats of the thing to make it sound as yummy as a warm sip of gormet coffee with a hint of melted whip cream.

mmmmmmm raw meat and coffee

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
Yeah I was a bit disappointed that all three new maps were in human locations (and the next batch sound overwhelmingly human as well), but they play very well. The feel of the new maps reminds me of Halo 1 maps.

Rat's Nest reminds me of Chill Out, with the planks and walkways above ground level.
The DLC maps are all set pretty early in the campaign. Rat's Nest is from Crow's Nest (mission 2), Standoff is in the setting of Tsavo (mission 3) and Foundry uses stuff from The Storm (mission 4). I wonder if they'll keep progressing through the campaign levels like that.

voltron

The Lamonster said:
Somebody has to lovingly massage the aural meats of the thing to make it sound as yummy as a warm sip of gormet coffee with a hint of melted whip cream.

mmmmmmm raw meat and coffee

gourmet

and Im totally serious. Each podcast is a fucking event when it should be a regular piece of audio enjoyment from the fine folks at Bungie.

voltron said:
gourmet

and Im totally serious. Each podcast is a fucking event when it should be a regular piece of audio enjoyment from the fine folks at Bungie.
um I meant for it to say gormet because it's a new word that you must not have even heard of!

Anyway, yeah I agree.

I wish they'd just hand the mastering duties off to me. It would take me like 30 minutes to get it right. And I'd work for free!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
voltron said:

Its getting annoying.
This time the computer that has the editing software died. And yeah, this is pretty annoying. This is Bungie. They just shipped a game that made more money than anything ever, basically. I would expect them to have a regular podcast, with a page dedicated to it on B.net. If a computer breaks, you install Pro Tools on another computer and pull the audio off of the dead computer's HDD before you ship it off to get it fixed. And if it takes forever to upload to MS's servers, you have a talk with MS about making it faster. It's just really unprofessional. Look at Insomniac's podcast page for an example of something done well.

In all seriousness, I thought this is what they brought Luke on for. To have someone to make sure that the podcast gets done and is on time. I've been in pro audio for seven years now, and when things break or don't go right (which they do), I'm expected to have a backup plan. It's not that the company would collapse if I didn't get the show delivered to the TV station on time or if a mic's batteries are dead when the gig starts - it's about professionalism. If Frank and Sketch aren't available, he hunts down other people to come on. If no one can talk about anything that's in development, then you get some of the more obscure Bungie employees to come on and tell old stories about the Halo 2 development process. Again, I thought this was why they hired Luke. If he's been given other responsibilites and is too busy to handle the podcast, then they should bring on someone else.

Bungie doesn't owe us a podcast. It's just really odd for one of the most productive and popular game studios to not have a regular podcast. It's disappointing.

NJ Shlice

Cocopjojo said:
In all seriousness, I thought this is what they brought Luke on for. To have someone to make sure that the podcast gets done and is on time. I've been in pro audio for seven years now, and when things break or don't go right (which they do), I'm expected to have a backup plan. It's not that the company would collapse if I didn't get the show delivered to the TV station on time or if a mic's batteries are dead when the gig starts - it's about professionalism. If Frank and Sketch aren't available, he hunts down other people to come on. If no one can talk about anything that's in development, then you get some of the more obscure Bungie employees to come on and tell old stories about the Halo 2 development process. Again, I thought this was why they hired Luke. If he's been given other responsibilites and is too busy to handle the podcast, then they should bring on someone else.

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom