• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Cap7ain Blood said:
how many people are left on the other team at this point 2?
Yeah, during the last five minutes of the game there were only two left. Two quit right after we capped the second flag, another four quit about ten minutes into the victory laps (we had seventeen minutes total of victory laps/hill control), and then the remaining two stayed with us for the last four or five minutes.

It's like a new multiplayer gametype. Did you guys see that photo where the opposing team dropped Power Drainers in front of and behind us, so we were stuck? That's like an actual military tactic there. Haha. We were pretty impressed when it happened.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:
Why do people praise Cocopojo? I feel sorry for the team who either has to quit and recieve penalties or at best just try their best for the remaining 10 minutes. It's possible the losing team is bad but the whole flag holding at the end is so e-penis, ugh.
We definitely don't do this to make ourselves feel like we're really good at the game. And it's not "flag holding." Flag holding would be if we hid the flag in our base and made the other team wait it out while we ran around with BRs killing them. That'd be lame.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, during the last five minutes of the game there were only two left. Two quit right after we capped the second flag, another four quit about ten minutes into the victory laps (we had seventeen minutes total of victory laps/hill control), and then the remaining two stayed with us for the last four or five minutes.

It's like a new multiplayer gametype. Did you guys see that photo where the opposing team dropped Power Drainers in front of and behind us, so we were stuck? That's like an actual military tactic there. Haha. We were pretty impressed when it happened.
I wasn't going to comment on this further since I've let my views be known, but holy shit. So you put people in the position of having to decide whether to waste ~15 minutes watching you march around, or quit and lose XP? Do you think about how shitty that is for the team you are playing?

Taking one "victory lap" for fun actually is pretty amusing - if you cap it at the end. It's ending the game with a flourish. But that's not a flourish - it's griefing.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't going to comment on this further since I've let my views be known, but holy [shit[/I]. So you put peole in the position of having to decide whether to waste ~15 minutes watching you march around, or quit and lose XP? Do you think about how shitty that is for the team you are playing?

Taking one "victory lap" for fun actually is pretty amusing - if you cap it at the end. It's ending the game with a flourish. But that's not a flourish - it's griefing.
Yeah, I know we disagree on this, but the fact that it was fifteen minutes rather than just two or three is what makes it so funny.

Diablohead said:
Why do people praise Cocopojo? I feel sorry for the team who either has to quit and recieve penalties or at best just try their best for the remaining 10 minutes. It's possible the losing team is bad but the whole flag holding at the end is so e-penis, ugh.
It's fun to do. People can relate to some nonsense going down in the game. For the other team, they gain stories of Crazy people playing with them. It's all in good fun. Thats what we do in TGS.

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't going to comment on this further since I've let my views be known, but holy shit. So you put people in the position of having to decide whether to waste ~15 minutes watching you march around, or quit and lose XP? Do you think about how shitty that is for the team you are playing?

i am on your side man i think it is the stupidest thing ever and they should get the exp penalty not the people who quit out because they are the only one left and have to sit and witness this crap

kylej

Banned
want victory laps to stop? ranked btb. either that or bungie matchmaking shouldn't place a party of 8 high ranked players against 3 guest teams and a Recruit.

DD-11

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, I know we disagree on this, but the fact that it was fifteen minutes rather than just two or three is what makes it so funny.

Two questions:

How old are you?

Can GAF ban people for this?

DD-11 said:
Two questions:

How old are you?

Can GAF ban people for this?
Ban Him for what? He's just having some fun. It's not like he's playing every game like this. It's not like he's out there to cause the other team to not have fun. If anything he's making it more fun because its not something you see all the time. Jeez this thread turned sour...

DD-11

Buttonbasher said:
Ban Him for what? He's just having some fun. It's not like he's playing every game like this. It's not like he's out there to cause the other team to not have fun. If anything he's making it more fun because its not something you see all the time. Jeez this thread turned sour...

So you beleive the other team is having fun? My god.

Two Questions:

How old are you?

Can GAF ban you for supporting this?

note: I'm not serious about the bannings, just thinking wishfully.

I've had that shit pulled on me before, but you know what? I don't quit. I put on my big boy pants and dance. If they don't care, I don't care. So, Coco, keep it up. If you see me, and I play shity enough for you to do this, expect the full furry of my dance moves. :D

GhaleonEB

Buttonbasher said:
Of course there's nothing ban-worthy there. Being on the receiving end of that for 17 minutes would not. Be. Fun.

For him? Yes. For the other guys? For a few minutes, sure. It's actually a hilarious way to cap a game.

But I really don't see how dragging out a game as long as he's boasting of doing can be construed as anything other than a really lousy way to treat other players. Maybe it's me, because I have a relatively finite amount of time to play each day. I get at most an hour or two these days. Drag out two games like that and you've blown half my gaming time for the night by parading around for pictures to post on a forum. Being faced with that or having to lose XP is akin to having a flaming sack of shit tossed on my porch. No matter how I deal with it, it sucks.

Griefing is a part of online gaming, and at least this form doesn't involve racist or homophobic utterances. I think it's hilarious.

I also avoid BTB.

DD-11 said:
So you beleive the other team is having fun? My god.

Two Questions:

How old are you?

Can GAF ban you for supporting this?

note: I'm not serious about the bannings, just thinking wishfully.
I can only speak for myself, but if I saw that and I was on the other team I would enjoy it. Thats what makes Halo awesome. Anything can happen. Unless you're in like 5 games where that happens, in which yeah I would be peeved. It's one of those things you want to tell people about. And I'm not sure if I understand what exactly was stopping the other team from continuing the game. There have been loads of matches where the team does something that shifts the way you play. You just change the way you approach the situation.

I guess I could see both sides of the situation, but if you don't share in my opinion you could just choose to "avoid the players" and know that it's probably not going to happen again.

/opinion

deftangel

took a programming course
As I said earlier in the thread. Victory laps and humiliation are too beautiful a thing to be wheeled out every other game where your team gets a quick lead based on fortune or mis-matched opponents. It should be reserved for when the other team actually does something to deserve it.

Such occaasions are meant to be rare and reminisced many times over a cold beer with the comrades present that day. Doing it every other game and posting about it on GAF nearly as often just devalues the entire concept for me.

It's especially super lame when half the other team quits. What are the other guys supposed to do for 15 minutes? At least with a full complement they have half a chance of taking advantage of your complacency whilst you're waving your virtual dicks about.

Striker

Victory laps are only cool if the other team is joining you. They're in your Warthog, Elephant, whatever. But if you're using a "victory lap" by going around the map in circles waving the flag and gunning down helpless guests in Warthogs, that's ignorant.

But once ranked BTB returns, I doubt it happens much. Can't wait for it to become ranked, personally! :)

kylej

Banned
stuck him with a sliver of his gun peeking out :)

563118429560Medium.jpg

Just finished the first 3 levels on legendary. So much fun. I ended up getting past that garage part on the 3rd level by using a flare next to the wraith and making a run for it. They were all blinded and firing in all directions as I legged it to safety.

Wizman23

Banned
Wow...again one of the biggest DOUSCHE BAG things I have ever seen in Halo. The victory lap. Got picked on a lot growing up huh?:lol :lol :lol :lol

Striker said:
Victory laps are only cool if the other team is joining you. They're in your Warthog, Elephant, whatever. But if you're using a "victory lap" by going around the map in circles waving the flag and gunning down helpless guests in Warthogs, that's ignorant.

But once ranked BTB returns, I doubt it happens much. Can't wait for it to become ranked, personally! :)
I think BTB will be awesome. Can't wait.

As for the victory lap, I'll agree that it's only fun for the winners. I get mad enough just playing the game even when my team is winning. I would have to quit out of a game where the other team was doing victory laps. In fact, when I would play with random people in halo2 who did that kind of celebrating, I would go as far as betraying my teammates to cap the last flag and end the game, or quit out altogether so that I wouldn't be associated with that kind of stuff. I just think it is kind of distasteful. How would that not fall under unsportsmanlike conduct?

I'll admit that the idea of doing a big parade after you've pretty much won the game is funny. But the majority of the players on the losing side are going to disagree with you about how funny it really is. I've been keeping up with the discussion on this and figured I'd finally throw my two cents in.

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, I'd laugh if they did one or two laps before capturing the final flag, but it's not funny at all when you make a game draw out an extra 17 minutes.

The fact that all but two people quit the game should make it obvious that the other team is not laughing along.

Ramirez

I bet you dudes wouldn't like getting victory lapped for 15 minutes against a team that didn't consist of split screen mcgees and Elite noobs. ;)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
deftangel said:
Such occaasions are meant to be rare and reminisced many times over a cold beer with the comrades present that day. Doing it every other game and posting about it on GAF nearly as often just devalues the entire concept for me.
I've posted about it twice.

Striker said:
Yeah, I'm really excited about ranked BTB, too. Like I've said before, the reason we do victory laps is because we have no other playlist to play in, and we get matched up against noobs that we can beat in three minutes. It's not fun to do that over and over again, all night. So, we make it fun. It's up to the other team to decide whether or not they want to have fun with it, too - and there's potential for a lot of fun when the opposing team groups themselves together in one spot in a mass of vehicles.

KevinRo

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, I'm really excited about ranked BTB, too. Like I've said before, the reason we do victory laps is because we have no other playlist to play in, and we get matched up against noobs that we can beat in three minutes. It's not fun to do that over and over again, all night. So, we make it fun. It's up to the other team to decide whether or not they want to have fun with it, too - and there's potential for a lot of fun when the opposing team groups themselves together in one spot in a mass of vehicles.

I've never done victory laps in BTB but if you have ever played Halo2 BTB then I'm assuming you know the feeling of getting spawn sniped in Multi-Flag CTF on Coagulation.

I've racked up killamanjaro's and multiple beserkers on that in ranked BTB. Imagine ranked Halo3 BTB. It'll be a slaughterfest.

GhaleonEB

A few thousand posts ago, I did a big rant on the Halo 3 story.

My overall thesis was this:

Simply put, Halo 3 tells the best encounter and mission fiction in the series, but the least interesting and least satisfying overall story arc.

There's an inteview that N'Gai Croal did with Joe Staten back in August that he has just now posted. It's very interesting, but in the middle of the interview Joe talks about the story development process for Halo 3, and I think it explains a lot of why it turned out the way it did.

Joe Staten said:
What we did a little bit differently for Halo 3, which wasn't necessarily intended, but what ended up happening was that we came up with a bunch of core ideas for the story; wrote an early version of the script; and then we just let the team bang on it for a while, and the writing took a back seat for a little bit. People started thinking about missions, started thinking about new gameplay ideas. Then we came back to the script about six months, nine months later and essentially tried to true it up to those decisions that had been made while the story just sort of sat for a little while. That was really great because what ended up happening is, from a writing point of view, you could go back in and look at it and say, "Wow, okay, so that's how the Arbiter's going to be handled in this game."

For example, in Halo 3 the Arbiter is not a playable character. He's playable in co-op but if you're just playing the game by yourself, you will only play as the Master Chief. That wasn't a decision that had been made when we wrote the first draft of the Halo 3 script. We were still operating in a world where potentially the Arbiter, you would play him sometimes and the Chief other times.

I think this explains why the low-level story - the missions -were excellent, but the over all story didn't quite work.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GhaleonEB said:
A few thousand posts ago, I did a big rant on the Halo 3 story.

My overall thesis was this:

Simply put, Halo 3 tells the best encounter and mission fiction in the series, but the least interesting and least satisfying overall story arc.

There's an inteview that N'Gai Croal did with Joe Staten back in August that he has just now posted. It's very interesting, but in the middle of the interview Joe talks about the story development process for Halo 3, and I think it explains a lot of why it turned out the way it did.

I think this explains why the low-level story - the missions -were excellent, but the over all story didn't quite work.

Wait, Luke Smith is now a writer? What kind of fiction has he written before? I am not saying he isn't a good fit for the position, is just that I didn't know he was also creating scripts at Bungie. I thought he was just working with the community which btw is going really well.

edit: Forget it, I just read the whole article.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
godhandiscen said:
Wait, Luke Smith is now a writer? What kind of fiction has he written before? I am not saying he isn't a good fit for the position, is just that I didn't know he was also creating scripts at Bungie. I thought he was just working with the community which btw is going really well.

Eh? He wrote for 1up, homey. Not sure how involved he was with the fiction, or if he was involved at all, but I wouldn't doubt that he and Frank both penned some stuff for Halo 3. Pretty much every journalist or columnist has a novel they're working on. It's like a prerequisite.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
urk said:
Eh? He wrote for 1up, homey. Not sure how involved he was with the fiction, or if he was involved at all, but I wouldn't doubt that he and Frank both penned some stuff for Halo 3. Pretty much every journalist or columnist has a novel they're working on. It's like a prerequisite.
I think journalism writing and fictional writing are very different, and in fact Staten doesn't say that Luke is involved with the fiction at all. It was an error on my part.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So yeah, whenever BTB becomes Ranked, it's going to be a feast for me - in Halo 2 it was my bread and butter, and at the right times, a lot of my local friends are on at the same time, and we tear it up in BTB in Halo 3, so I can't wait for this to happen...

Stinkles and Luke, make sure to pass it on to the boys that they have to add 1 Flag Last Resort in the Ranked BTB playlist for me, okay? :)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
godhandiscen said:
yah

motivator9169495.jpg

Yo Gotti

Banned
FUCK noobs!

kill noobs!! steel their flag

and leave them with a teabag

bomb their bases & laff in their faces!

catch em at their spawn

n Snipe em till theyre gone !!!

saddle up in a jeep

slaughter them like sheep !!!

that's what i say goddammit

So they are essentially saying that they made it up as they went along. That's the impression I get. Explains why you get all these cryptic messages from cortana that all amount to nothing.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Bearillusion said:
So they are essentially saying that they made it up as they went along. That's the impression I get. Explains why you get all these cryptic messages from cortana that all amount to nothing.
Well, they didn't "make it up as they went along," but yeah, they planned out the missions first and then fitted the story around that. To be honest, I think that was a good decision. The story (IMO) wasn't that bad and while, as a hardcore fan, I would have liked a hardcore ending with answers to all of my questions, the gameplay in Halo 3 is superb, so it's obvious that their decision to go gameplay first, story second paid off. I've just recently finished playing campaign, solo, on Legendary and I have a new respect for both the story and the gameplay. Both are top-notch. You can always dream of more, in terms of story or gameplay, but the game is just so much fun... I don't have any desire for what could have been.

Yo Gotti said:
FUCK noobs!

kill noobs!! steel their flag

and leave them with a teabag

bomb their bases & laff in their faces!

catch em at their spawn

n Snipe em till theyre gone !!!

saddle up in a jeep

slaughter them like sheep !!!

that's what i say goddammit
6f9t5jk.jpg

MarkMacD

godhandiscen said:

A lot of people don't know that Luke wrote an epic 12-part Star Trek: Voyager / Star Wars crossover fan fiction while he was at 1up:

http://in-the-bottle.livejournal.com/212685.html

Won some awards, probably got him the job at Bungie. Just in time, too, since everyone at the office was sick as hell of hearing him talk about how hyperspace was more advanced than warp technology.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Alright, so, I gifted Thermite 1K points to buy the Heroic Map Pack, but after taking a peek at my checking account, I still have some money left to gift someone else [who lives in the US; gifting points is for US residents only at the time] points for the map pack.

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom