• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the new map is Lockout, I wouldn't mind it being a simple cut-and-paste from Halo 2, with no changes at all (aside from graphical tweaks and whatnot).

GhaleonEB

snack said:
I know but I want ot know if I should hit up Bungie.net before school, wait until lunch, or check it when I get home from school? Before you say it, no I'd rather not wait.
Hey, I stay at work late every Friday so I can read the Updates when they go up. :p

Looking back, I've gotten four press releases from Microsoft about Halo 3 since the fall. The first three came out at 9:00am on the nose, the last one (about Avalance and the release date/price) was 10:00am. So the question is, will MS issue their press release the same day as Bungie updates, as usual, or the day after, like last time.

EazyB said:
I want it to at the very least have a huge aesthetic revamp. Lockout was ugly as ass.
headexplode.gif

Dude. Lockout is beautiful.

h2v_lockout.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Hey, I stay at work late every Friday so I can read the Updates when they go up. :p

Looking back, I've gotten four press releases from Microsoft about Halo 3 since the fall. The first three came out at 9:00am on the nose, the last one (about Avalance and the release date/price) was 10:00am. So the question is, will MS issue their press release the same day as Bungie updates, as usual, or the day after, like last time.
Hopefully they will put it up around the same time they put the Avalanche update online.
EazyB said:
I want it to at the very least have a huge aesthetic revamp. Lockout was ugly as ass.
I guess that is why I liked Lockout. I'm an ass-man.

GhaleonEB

Sir Fragula said:
Ugh. I still think it's one of... actually no, it is the worst Halo map in my opinion.
Yeah, I hated that map. But so many people like it that I'll actually be happy for them if that's what it turns out to be. I'll always have Avalanche.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I hated that map. But so many people like it that I'll actually be happy for them if that's what it turns out to be. I'll always have Avalanche.
Suppose I'm in the same camp.

Walshicus

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, the rest of the pack will more than make up for a Lockout remake in my opinion. Sidewinder and Rat Race are my favourite Halo maps, so getting 50% of them back and a cool new one is worth it.

Hang on... a Rat Race remake would go perfect with the tunnel environment at the start of Tsavo Highway!

LukeSmith

GhaleonEB said:
Tomorrow. It's a wide window. FWIW, unless Microsoft moves their PR again, MS PR usually goes out in the morning, pacific time. Looking back on the press releases I've been sent, only a few have ever come out later than ~11:00 pacific time, and those were NPD and HD-DVD related announcements, responding to news that broke late in the day.

But then, the bungie.net reveal of Avalanche was disconnected from the timing of the MS PR last week, so that may not mean anything.

There's no Microsoft Press release accompanying tomorrow's news. No timeframe as to when it will go up either. It will be over the course of tomorrow's regular workday -- no fancy late night shenanigans this week.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
See, that's the thing. I cared deeply about Halo's story. The story in Halo 2 is my personal favorite in any game, ever. Story was what I was looking forward to the most in Halo 3. The main narrative arc in Halo 3 is over-simplified, and the dialog is very hit or miss. So that meant to get anything worthwhile from the story, it's down to the terminals. And the terminals are simply too hardcore for me. That's the schism in Halo 3's storytelling: the main story is so dumbed down that it lost me, and the terminals are so opaque and challenging that they lost me on the other end. I'm sure you'll dismiss this as "wah wah wah", but I'm actually quite saddened by the turn Bungie took with their fiction.
I found the main story of Halo 3 to be pretty interesting, though far from being as engrossing as Halo 2, but I really like the Terminals. It's just cool for me to learn more about the backbone of the Halo story.

However, I see where you're coming from. I think Bungie understood that they lost a lot of people with the Halo 3 story, so they set out to make a more accessable main story, while leaving some interesting stuff for hardcore fans of the fiction to ponder. To some, they succeeded, to others such as you, they didn't. Personally, I like the approach they took, but I think they went too far in terms of simplifying the main story. There were a lot of things in the main story that I wanted to know more about, but didn't get a chance to learn more about.

In general, I just think it's important not to put too much stock in what the dumbest members of your community, the ones who stopped playing Halo 2 when they saw that plant thing and hated the Arbiter, say. Obviously, you need to be looking to have a wide audience, but you need to be careful when it comes to "game design for the lowest common denominator."

Wizman23

Banned
Speaking of maps, I remember during the Beta when the people posted on various sites what they found in the code.

99% of what was said to be found in the Beta code was in the final game. The only thing missing was 1 map called Cyberdine. I also found it strange that Bungie gave us 11 maps instead of 12 at launch (Halo 2 had 12).

So was Cyberdine cancelled, or held back for future tweaks and released as something different?

LukeSmith said:
There's no Microsoft Press release accompanying tomorrow's news. No timeframe as to when it will go up either. It will be over the course of tomorrow's regular workday -- no fancy late night shenanigans this week.
Thank you.

/ East Coast Bungie Fan Collective

Chinner

Banned
The Lamonster said:

What I mean to say is that I believe the quality found in Halo 3 was of a high standard, but personally I believe that it was about 3-4 levels to short and it lacked a epic or satisfying ending.

Striker

Jack Scofield said:
If the new map is Lockout, I wouldn't mind it being a simple cut-and-paste from Halo 2, with no changes at all (aside from graphical tweaks and whatnot).
I think there should be subtle changes, but nothing to entirely change the map layout.

Lockout was one of the better maps in Halo 2 because of it.

JdFoX187

Banned
sixthsubset said:
what? lockout is prettier than pretty much every halo 3 map!
Standoff, Valhalla, Isolation, Guardian, Construct and Epitaph all disagree with you.

If this is Lockout, I really am going to be pissed. I have a bunch of shit to fix on my car, might not even bother getting the pack for the time being if it's a Lockout remake. Certainly not the worst map in Halo history, that honor belongs to The Pit and Midship, but it's easily the most overrated map I've ever played on.

fin

Anyone down for some customs or BTB tonight? I should be online but I may be watching some DVD's so if I'm online send me an invite.

LukeSmith said:
I'd love you long time if you put it up as early as possible. If you could do some late night shenanigans, that would be even better. GAF and all Halo communities would be forever in debt to you.

Please make it happen!

EazyB

Banned
fin said:
Anyone down for some customs or BTB tonight? I should be online but I may be watching some DVD's so if I'm online send me an invite.
I'm down. Send me an invite and if I'm playing Vegas I'll gladly hop over.

TDG

Banned
:lol :lol :lol @ People who think Lockout is an awesome looking map. It's just bland. That would be like saying The Pit is a map of extreme visual beauty.

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't hate it, but I can think of 10 maps offhand that I'd rather have remade. I don't hate it like I hate Last Resort, Burial Mounds and Chiron, but it's far from my favorite.

And, for the record, I will not be happy for Lockout fans if that's what it is. Why would I be happy for them? Their happiness isn't doing anything for me.

Wizman23 said:
So will 90% of this board and I think the B-Net forums will have a mass suicide if it is not Lockout.
I will laugh and laugh and cry happily. I will save so many bnet threads to my favorites, it won't even be funny. I swear, it will be AWESOME.

I am collecting celebration gifs right now in case it isn't Lockout.

TDG

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Haven't we gone through this already?
I swear, the people in this thread are so divided about Halo maps, it's insane. You'd think there would be a bit more common ground, but no.

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
And, for the record, I will not be happy for Lockout fans if that's what it is. Why would I be happy for them? Their happiness isn't doing anything for me.
I take happiness in the happiness of others. Unless you're killing me in Halo 3. But even then I'll make exception if it's an unusually hilarious death, like that time I got tagged by a plasma grenade right before I got splattered by a Chopper and in my death the Chopper got blown up. Then I'd be happy for you as well.

cluto

the disgruntled gamer said:
:lol :lol :lol @ People who think Lockout is an awesome looking map. It's just bland. That would be like saying The Pit is a map of extreme visual beauty.
Lockout retains its beauty in its simplicity. You just have no soul.

I wouldn't mind a Lockout remake; I had a lot of fun on that map in Halo 2. I would really enjoy a Headlong or even
Waterworks. Despite all the hate, I loved waterworks
. I already got what I wanted with Avalanche; i've been wanting a sidewinder remake since Halo 2. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Striker

I agree Cool_dude. The more big maps the better! Right now there's truly only three BTB maps.

I would love a large industrial map made. Maybe not a remake of Headlong, but something similar.

cool_dude_2049 said:
I wouldn't mind a Lockout remake; I had a lot of fun on that map in Halo 2. I would really enjoy a Headlong or even
Waterworks. Despite all the hate, I loved waterworks
. I already got what I wanted with Avalanche; i've been wanting a sidewinder remake since Halo 2. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
The majority of people in this thread have said they liked Waterworks.

armubaba

Buttonbasher said:
The majority of people in this thread have said they liked Waterworks.

I think a lot of it has to do with Halo GAF's obsession with vehicles. Ask around, and many, many people here will tell you it just isn't Halo without the Warthog, Chopper or Banshee to jump into.

Sai-kun

Banned
armubaba said:
I think a lot of it has to do with Halo GAF's obsession with vehicles. Ask around, and many, many people here will tell you it isn't Halo without the Warthog, Chopper or Banshee to jump into.

Or a Hornet. :3

armubaba said:
I think a lot of it has to do with Halo GAF's obsession with vehicles. Ask around, and many, many people here will tell you it just isn't Halo without the Warthog, Chopper or Banshee to jump into.
I've said it before. Halo's a driving game with FPS scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom