• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buttonbasher said:
The majority of people in this thread have said they liked Waterworks.

I'm basing my statement on past Halo 2 xbox live experiences. The constant bitching in the pregame lobby really took a tole on me, but I didn't really care. I use to love this strategy me and my best friend would use. At the start of the round, I'd grab the banshee and drop in on the opposite base during CTF and he'd be waiting outside for me in a hog and we'd be out of there before anyone realized what was going on. 63% of the time it worked everytime. A lot of people I met on xbox live hated that map because there was always one person who would immediately go after the sniper and fly himself to the top of the map and kill everyone. Bitching aside, Waterworks, Headlong and even Containment, to a certain extent, were awesome. I had a lot of great memories on those maps.

Bottom line: More BTB Maps

kthx

GhaleonEB

armubaba said:
I think a lot of it has to do with Halo GAF's obsession with vehicles. Ask around, and many, many people here will tell you it just isn't Halo without the Warthog, Chopper or Banshee to jump into.
*raises hand*

That said, I do enjoy a number of non-vehicle maps (Rat Race, Beaver Creek) and don't love all vehicular maps (Burial Mounds, Containment). But vehicles have a lot to do with why I enjoy Halo MP.

Brainboy

JdFoX187 said:
Standoff, Valhalla, Isolation, Guardian, Construct and Epitaph all disagree with you.

If this is Lockout, I really am going to be pissed. *snip* Certainly not the worst map in Halo history, that honor belongs to The Pit and Midship, but it's easily the most overrated map I've ever played on.

Oh dear.

Amongst those maps you listed:
Lockout, Midship, Standoff and Guardian are sublime.
Valhalla and The Pit are good.
Isolation, Construct and Epitaph I can do without.

TheMWord

Sai-kun said:
Wasn't Cyberdyne = Construct?

how bout this?

.map FileName | Corresponding Map
====================================
005_intro ----- Arrival
010_jungle ==== Sierra 117
020_base ------ Crow's Nest
030_outskirts = Tsavo Highway
040_voi ------- The Storm
050_floodvoi == Floodgate
070_waste ----- The Ark
100_citadel === The Covenant
110_hc -------- Cortana
120_halo ====== Halo
130_epilogue -- Epilogue
chill ========= Narrows
construct ----- Construct
cyberdyne ===== The Pit
deadlock ------ High Ground
guardian ====== Guardian
isolation ----- Isolation
mainmenu ====== Main Menu
riverworld ---- Valhalla
salvation ===== Epitaph
shrine -------- Sandtrap
snowbound ===== Snowbound
zanzibar ------ Last Resort
campaign ====== [Unplayable, Used for SinglePlayer resources]
shared -------- [Unplayable, Used for MultiPlayer resources]

alexh

JdFoX187 said:
Certainly not the worst map in Halo history, that honor belongs to The Pit and Midship, but it's easily the most overrated map I've ever played on.

Oh my god..

Lockout, The Pit, and Midship are amazing maps.

I don't understand how you can't like those maps.

Kibbles

Kuroyume said:
Waterworkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssss

I want to drive my teamates over the bridge that runs across the middle of that map.

Waterworks will always stay in my heart.

And I think you mean under the bridge ;p jk, sort of. Happened all the time to me. Waterworks could've been really epic if people just took it seriously. All though, I have to admit I did that a few times as well :lol I love the massive stones hanging down from above that you could knock down. Even long after release I would knock them down and people would freak out when this huge thing crashed down from above. Awesomeness.

Kibbles

Is he holding a double-barrel shotgun? O_O Oh and MC looks hawt.
5v0go.jpg

FFChris

Hi guyz!

In the last Bungie update it said 2 a.m PST was when the new maps go free, am I right in saying that's roughly 10hrs 30mins?

GhaleonEB

FFChris said:
Hi guyz!

In the last Bungie update it said 2 a.m PST was when the new maps go free, am I right in saying that's roughly 10hrs 30mins?
About 10 hours. I'm excited to see Rat's Nest incorporated more fully into BTB. Love that map.

Brainboy

GhaleonEB said:
About 10 hours. I'm excited to see Rat's Nest incorporated more fully into BTB. Love that map.

It really requires some good teamwork. I got stuck with some guys once who didn't quite understand that you could just run through the centre of the map. I did my best (including getting a triple kill followed by a flag capture with no help from my team), but we lost nevertheless.

FFChris

GhaleonEB said:

Well I don't have the new maps yet, so I'll be getting as many user made Foundary maps as I can!

This and the Battlefield Beta are going to grind my work to a halt tomorrow.

GhaleonEB

Brainboy said:
It really requires some good teamwork. I got stuck with some guys once who didn't quite understand that you could just run through the centre of the map. I did my best (including getting a triple kill followed by a flag capture with no help from my team), but we lost nevertheless.
Yeah, it's got a good mix of pathways directly between the bases, with the race track running around the outside as alternate attack/escape routes. And the rocket rush is always interesting. I had an incident there the other night where I was driving a Warthog, solo, going after them. I round the corner and spot another guy alone in his 'hog driving for them from the other side. I know we're going to collide in the middle and drive right to the rockets hoping to park on them so we have a shoot out. He does the same - but mis-times his exit and jumps out of his ride a split second before we connect.

*splat*

I then use the rocks to toast the fully loaded Warthog that comes gunning around the corner, using his empty ride as cover.

Mmmm. Rat's Nest.

Brainboy

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, it's got a good mix of pathways directly between the bases, with the race track running around the outside as alternate attack/escape routes. And the rocket rush is always interesting. I had an incident there the other night where I was driving a Warthog, solo, going after them. I round the corner and spot another guy alone in his 'hog driving for them from the other side. I know we're going to collide in the middle and drive right to the rockets hoping to park on them so we have a shoot out. He does the same - but mis-times his exit and jumps out of his ride a split second before we connect.

*splat*

I then use the rocks to toast the fully loaded Warthog that comes gunning around the corner, using his empty ride as cover.

Mmmm. Rat's Nest.

Haha, sounds awesome. Did you catch my story about how I once destroyed a Warthog with a trip mine that I intended for a guy on foot? Good times...

FFChris said:
Well I don't have the new maps yet, so I'll be getting as many user made Foundary maps as I can!

Look for 'Fish Bowl' and 'Pirate Ship'. You will not regret it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Whatever Moonlight Sonata will be, I just know it'll end up being that special small Slayer map we've been craving for (I'm NOT saying Lockout, I'm just saying that map that we all crave 'in general')

I really think the Legendary Map Pack is the perfect mix.

Sai-kun

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Whatever Moonlight Sonata will be, I just know it'll end up being that special small Slayer map we've been craving for (I'm NOT saying Lockout, I'm just saying that map that we all crave 'in general')

I really think the Legendary Map Pack is the perfect mix.

You could even say it's gonna be....

Legendary

TDG

Banned
Chinner said:
hey guys just heard from my sources from kotaku that the moonlight sonata is infact a remake of Colossus
But, Colossus isn't small. It's actually pretty big.

I'm holding out hope for Ivory Tower (Moonlight Sonata? Lance O'Donnell?)

Ramirez

I really doubt it's Colossus, but that map was fucking killer.

It really seems if it isn't a BTB map, most of you all like to say it's a crap map. :lol

FFChris

Ramirez said:
It really seems if it isn't a BTB map, most of you all like to say it's a crap map. :lol

I thought we had an even split of vehicle/non vehicle lovers.

I prefer small maps myself, we have lots of big ones already!

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
I really doubt it's Colossus, but that map was fucking killer.

Nah. I've seen a LOT of people asking for a smaller, slayer oriented map. Which is exactly how the MS PR described it. The new pack seems to cover all the bases:

Moonlight Sonata: Small slayer map
Ghost Town: Medium slayer/objective map
Avalanche: BTB map

Should be something for everyone to be happy with. And of course, that means something for everyone to bitch about. :)

Ramirez

FFChris said:
I thought we had an even split of vehicle/non vehicle lovers.

I prefer small maps myself, we have lots of big ones already!

Yea but calling stuff like Lockout, Midship, The Pit, etc. terrible maps, then praising Waterworks/Headlong, makes no sense. :lol

Headlong/WW were fun until people learned that could take a Banshee to the top of the map and snipe people, man where do I sign up. Granted most of my problems with those maps had to do with the actual players more than the maps.

Eric WK

While I wanted Midship (or Lockout), I loved me some Colossus too. I may be the only person here who wouldn't be disappointed, but still. That map was very well designed.

Ramirez

Eric WK said:
While I wanted Midship (or Lockout), I loved me some Colossus too. I may be the only person here who wouldn't be disappointed, but still. That map was very well designed.

Toward the end of Halo 2's life it was one of the best maps in the game. I think maybe early on when it was SMG start, the team with the Sniper basically dominated, I know they made some very needed changes to the map later in it's life that made it a million times better.

Dirtbag

I always thought Headlong was a total trainwreck of a map. Middly fun for zombies... but just such an awkward map. I'll never understand the love / requests for it.

And honestly, the Pit is probably the best map in H3 currently, I'd understand the hate from a visual standpoint, the map is pretty fugly... 2nd place to foundry though.

Eric WK said:
Colossus was a great map once both bases spawned with the sniper rifle. Pre-patch, it was frustrating. I would still be totally letdown if the remake is colossus though - I want a small map, not mid-sized, though I would enjoy playing on Colossus again. I think spike grenades on Colossus would be tits.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Yea but calling stuff like Lockout, Midship, The Pit, etc. terrible maps, then praising Waterworks/Headlong, makes no sense. :lol

Headlong/WW were fun until people learned that could take a Banshee to the top of the map and snipe people, man where do I sign up. Granted most of my problems with those maps had to do with the actual players more than the maps.
I actually loved Midship, but didn't like Lockout. But I have weird reasons for it, reasons particular to my inability to understand how Lockout worked spacially; I've never said it was a bad map, just that I didn't like it. It's a fine distinction that's lost on most people. As a rule of thumb, the cleaner the layout the more I'll like the map. I get lost in department stores regularly, remember. I have special needs.

Blueblur1

I'm gonna have to break up the synergy and say I hate Waterworks. It is a good map that was terribly executed, IMO. The general layout and idea of a large 8v8 map is fantastic, but the ridiculously amount of real estate wasted in front of each base and near the Rocket Launcher spawns really hurt the playability of the map. Let's not forget players flying the Banshees up to the many different top portions of the map with the Sniper Rifle. Especially if it was the host because unless he stood still for a few moments like an idiot would, you weren't gonna snipe him.

I wouldn't mind a map "inspired" by Waterworks but a full on Last Resort-style remake would make me cringe. I want only my favorite maps and what I think are considered top notch to be remade. I'm not a huge fan of Lockout (it was my weakest map in Halo 2) but it'll be great to just play in one of the great Halo 2 maps again. Besides that map, I'm dying for some Colossus, Ascension, Desolation and Ivory Tower action.

Sean

Banned
Moonlight Sonata = Chiron TL-34 remake.

300px-Chiron_TL-34.JPG

It's widely considered the best map in the Halo series according to most players, it'd make sense for Bungie to remake this classic. Can't wait for the reveal!

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
I actually loved Midship, but didn't like Lockout. But I have weird reasons for it, reasons particular to my inability to understand how Lockout worked spacially; I've never said it was a bad map, just that I didn't like it. It's a fine distinction that's lost on most people. As a rule of thumb, the cleaner the layout the more I'll like the map. I get lost in department stores regularly, remember. I have special needs.

I wasn't talking to you or anyone in particular, just the entire past few pages have been filled with stunning comments. :lol

Eric WK

Ramirez said:
Toward the end of Halo 2's life it was one of the best maps in the game. I think maybe early on when it was SMG start, the team with the Sniper basically dominated, I know they made some very needed changes to the map later in it's life that made it a million times better.

Yeah, absolutely. But SMG start sucked regardless of map.

I found it funny when I started playing Halo 3 again to see Team BRs popping up all the time. I thought the Assault Rifle was supposed to be the perfect starting weapon?

FFChris

Ramirez said:
I wasn't talking to you or anyone in particular, just the entire past few pages have been filled with stunning comments. :lol

Map wise, what do you think Halo 3 currently needs?

Eric WK said:
Yeah, absolutely. But SMG start sucked regardless of map.

I found it funny when I started playing Halo 3 again to see Team BRs popping up all the time. I thought the Assault Rifle was supposed to be the perfect starting weapon?

BR will always be better than the AR as a medium-long range weapon, but the AR has a good chance of beating the BR at close range where the SMG would never stand a chance. It has a good balance in my opinion.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Oh, I know. I was more making the general point that when you see me complain about a map, bear in mind why. I think most people are accustomed to taking my map preferences lightly at this point anyways. :lol

Ramirez

FFChris said:
Map wise, what do you think Halo 3 currently needs?

Maps like Lockout, Ascension, Midship, Chillout, Sanctuary, Turf, Ivory Tower,etc. Basically 4v4 maps, but I could care less about BTB, so I'm a bit biased. Aside from The Pit, I don't feel any of the new maps even come close to CE's or 2's best.

Eric WK

That was a rhetorical question, by the way. If anyone wants to start debating the pros and cons of either starting weapon, I'm not biting.

I was merely pointing out an observation, because I wasn't around when Team BRs started showing up with regularity.

FFChris

Ramirez said:
Maps like Lockout, Ascension, Midship, Chillout, Sanctuary, Turf, Ivory Tower,etc. Basically 4v4 maps, but I could care less about BTB, so I'm a bit biased. Aside from The Pit, I don't feel any of the new maps even come close to CE's or 2's best.

Yea, I totally agree with you.

Hopefully Ghost Town will be a decent 4v4 map.

TDG

Banned
Oh god, I would be far from disappointed with Colossus. That map was crazy fun. It would totally be on list of "top 10 maps I would rather have remade than Lockout."

I just don't think it will happen.

Blueblur1

Ramirez said:
I'm gonna have to agree with you there except for the Pit. I think it needs work.

GhaleonEB

My only real request for maps after this next pack is more beauty, less grunge. Foundry, Rat's Nest, The Pit - lots of rust and stone. Stuff like Avalanche and Standoff are simply beautiful settings.

GhaleonEB said:
My only real request for maps after this next pack is more beauty, less grunge. Foundry, Rat's Nest, The Pit - lots of rust and stone. Stuff like Avalanche and Standoff are simply beautiful settings.
I agree. I'd also like to see less Human settings and more remakes (Prisoner, Damnation).

Blueblur1

Standoff is by far my favorite map in H3 in terms of the visuals. I really want the artists to be creative with the maps (without going too crazy). I thoug Guardian was gonna look great but it really doesn't and the "skybox" is just one big green, boring and crappy jpeg.

t4ng0

the disgruntled gamer said:
Oh god, I would be far from disappointed with Colossus. That map was crazy fun. It would totally be on list of "top 10 maps I would rather have remade than Lockout."

I just don't think it will happen.
See now I think Colossus was awful. Not a bad concept, but perhaps implemented poorly? The more I think about it though, the more I enjoy small-medium maps that are balanced seemingly for shape. Some are symmetrical(Midship, Wizard), but some are not(Lockout, Ivory Tower, Chill Out, Hang Em High). Smallish, self-contained, geometrically balanced maps seem to work almost perfectly with competitive halo. This Colossus fusion of two long hallwayish sides was great if you were host BR'ing people, but generally promoted frustration for long range off host battles.

Then again, I had some awesome times on Longest-granted, that was on LAN with the uber pistol and monster nades.

Don't take that as a knock against sprawling vehicle maps, but I want more tight and fast maps!

Ramirez

Blueblur1 said:
I'm gonna have to agree with you there except for the Pit. I think it needs work.

Aside from the spawning area up top, I see no problems. I think maybe OS and Invis should be swapped, but other than that, I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom