• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

matmanx1

I bought the Focal Elear yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Not sure how so many of the reviews ignored the virtually nonexistent 4-6khz FR. I've tried using EQ and it helps but it's making the higher treble sound a bit harsh for some reason. I guess I'm back to my HD650's. I just can't find a high end headphone that I like.

honestly I haven't heard any headphone over $500 that I loved. They all have some pretty major issues. I think if you go down that road, one headphone isn't going to do everything for you. So I don't think it's worth it atm and "mid-fi" shouldn't be a dirty word.

I think maybe the HD650 with my heavily moded crack is just so good that I'm having trouble finding anything that I would rather listen to over that combo. The reason I'm looking for something better is because I know the HD650's shortcomings in articulation, speed, and mainly soundstage and Sometimes I want more. I just don't know if it's worth it. No matter how fancy the headphone is, it just doesn't sound "right" like the sennheiser.

Good tube amplifiers on the other hand I think are totally worth it

I demo'd an Elear for a week or so and wrote about it several pages back. I was impressed with the comfort and build and I liked the way it sounded but I didn't love it. That mid range dip is very noticeable and I found the sound to be ever so slightly "colored" by the driver material.

I actually think my modded HE-400S is better in every way except for build quality and it's half the price, even with the mods included. It's been a while since I have owned a Sennheiser but the audiophile consensus is that the HD6xx is very tough to beat, especially when paired with a great source and amp. And you know what, it's definitely ok to be satisfied with what you have and just stick with it!

andylsun

Open Alpha part printing finished!

wkK7gJpl.jpg

I managed to find an orientation and printer settings that allowed me to print the parts flat on the bed rather than at an angle. It leads to four slight flat spots as the printer clips the very edges but it's done.

Each cup took 51 hours to print the 3 parts and used 2.7amp at 12V during printing. Comes out at 1.6 KWh per cup.

I have the support to remove and then add the cable connectors and once I'm happy it all goes together will buy the T50-RP.

Time lapse below

https://youtu.be/vRud2Fy_IW0

I was about to ask what other high end you've listened to, but you know what, it sounds like you've found the best for you (HD-650 + bottlehead) so perhaps it's time to stop looking and try to fill a different headphone gap (e.g. closed for travel or IEM).

I'm completely finished with looking at open headphones for home use. Pretty much done on IEM's (though need to try CIEM's as I do have fit issues), and my office rig and closed on-ear for mixing and gaming is all set.

The only gaps I have is over ear travel headphone and planar magnetic, and I hope the Open Alpha Dog's I'm printing will tick both of those boxes.

I was actually talking to a friend yesterday about how much more use I would probably get out of IEM's. Can actually use them at work and when I go for dog walks. Will look into that.

I've tried the HD800, T1 & DT 1990, some of the HiFIMANs (Im not sure which ones but definitely not the HE 1000), MR Studio Ethers, Mad Dogs (not alpha dogs). Im probably missing some but I've definitely not tried any Audeze. From the one's I tried, I just couldn't justify the money over what I have.

That Alpha project you're working on looks like a lot of fun.

HD6XX hasn't been considered mid-fi for along time, unless the definition of mid-fi is price. The driver controls extremely well, tonality is on point, imaging is perfectly fine and pretty accurate, driver consistency and matching is better than most flagship headphones, and its capabilities scale when fed better equipment able to provide the voltage it needs.

Literally the only problem is its tubby bass. Yeah, there was a period of time people mistook detail for treble peaks but that opinion doesn't exist too much anymore judging by the number of warmish implementations these days. And with that, the HD6XX has regained its spot as the obvious best of the former flagship German trio.

Tonally they are fantastic and I think the very good tone of the crack compliments it well. Only problem with the combo imo is the narrow soundstage of the crack, and regardless of all the mods, it's still narrow.

$200 really is a bargain for the HD6XX. There are 57K requests right now on Massdrop for the HD6XX's.

I demo'd an Elear for a week or so and wrote about it several pages back. I was impressed with the comfort and build and I liked the way it sounded but I didn't love it. That mid range dip is very noticeable and I found the sound to be ever so slightly "colored" by the driver material.

I actually think my modded HE-400S is better in every way except for build quality and it's half the price, even with the mods included. It's been a while since I have owned a Sennheiser but the audiophile consensus is that the HD6xx is very tough to beat, especially when paired with a great source and amp. And you know what, it's definitely ok to be satisfied with what you have and just stick with it!

I EQ'd down the bass of the Elear and the sound completely changed for the better. It is such a bassy headphone and its sound is completely defined by the bass. With a little EQ it sounds alot better, especially out of the crack for some reason, even though it's not supposed to play well with 80ohm impedance headphones. I'm torn on whether to keep them or send them back. Pads apparently make a huge difference also. Someone on SBAF got rid of the bass hump and the 4-6k dip with different pads.

I tried the HE-400S and I like them. Never tried modding them though.

EDM bass rumble with the Crack and Elear is crazy. Gives me a tingling sensation in my skull lol I think it's the low dampening factor, gives it a dirty rumbling sounds. This is with the Bass EQ'd down

andylsun

Baffle and pad part glued together and assembled to the cup with some old pads I have lying around.

I tested the 4 pin connector from Mr Speakers and it installed perfectly.

I think I'm ready to get the driver now.

oXbxALJl.jpg

Tommy DJ

I've tried the HD800, T1 & DT 1990, some of the HiFIMANs (Im not sure which ones but definitely not the HE 1000), MR Studio Ethers, Mad Dogs (not alpha dogs). Im probably missing some but I've definitely not tried any Audeze. From the one's I tried, I just couldn't justify the money over what I have.

The open secret of the hifi industry is that a lot of products are actually very technically inept or extremely overpriced:
- The Tesla driver Beyerdynamics are all boxes of chocolates in that every sample is going to be different. Two vastly different opinions are likely to be completely valid. Someone saying the T1s sound warm and another saying the T1s are way too bright can both be completely accurate in their opinion because they're actually listening to two different headphones.
- Most Hifimans are pretty mid-fi with some funky frequency responses that require mods/pad rolling to get sounding good.
- Mad Dogs are mid-fi at best, they're just modded Fostex T50RPs.

When you have people arguing that silver cables can make a make a world of difference to a pair of headphones, why should manufacturers care whether or not their end product is actually good. They know every negative opinion can be handwaved away with "well that's your subjective opinion lol".

The open secret of the hifi industry is that a lot of products are actually very technically inept or extremely overpriced:
- The Tesla driver Beyerdynamics are all boxes of chocolates in that every sample is going to be different. Two vastly different opinions are likely to be completely valid. Someone saying the T1s sound warm and another saying the T1s are way too bright can both be completely accurate in their opinion because they're actually listening to two different headphones.
- Most Hifimans are pretty mid-fi with some funky frequency responses that require mods/pad rolling to get sounding good.
- Mad Dogs are mid-fi at best, they're just modded Fostex T50RPs.

When you have people arguing that silver cables can make a make a world of difference to a pair of headphones, why should manufacturers care whether or not their end product is actually good. They know every negative opinion can be handwaved away with "well that's your subjective opinion lol".

I dunno if this is an answerable question, but are there some headphones you think are pretty solid values (say in the >$200 space)? Whether that be due to use of good materials, good production QA... or just good reliable sound. Just curious, as someone who hasn't really dipped into the higher end stuff much.

Baffle and pad part glued together and assembled to the cup with some old pads I have lying around.

I tested the 4 pin connector from Mr Speakers and it installed perfectly.

I think I'm ready to get the driver now.

oXbxALJl.jpg

Curious to see the end result, keep us updated!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've heard the zs3 is better but have no experience for comparison, it's just that I've seen that comparison multiple times.

Tommy DJ

I dunno if this is an answerable question, but are there some headphones you think are pretty solid values (say in the >$200 space)? Whether that be due to use of good materials, good production QA... or just good reliable sound. Just curious, as someone who hasn't really dipped into the higher end stuff much.

Greater than $200? Some headphones come to mind:
- Sennhesier HD600/HD650/HD6XX are no brainers.
- Beyerdynamic DT880 was good from memory but haven't heard it for a long time
- Fostex TH-X00 or E-MU Teak are good closed headphones. Both have different tunings but use the same Fostex driver IIRC.

There lots of other stuff out there, like ZMF's recent line of headphones that are apparently pretty good, but I aren't heard them so can't help you there. I feel that once you get to the so-called high end, most products have serious flaws that make the product sort of questionable in terms of value. Its basically pick your poison when you get to $600+ price ranges from Audeze's strange treble tuning and ergonomic struggles to Focal and Hifiman's obscene asking prices for their flagships which are 100% not worth their asking prices. Well Focal might justify theirs with some neat use of materials but definitely not Hifiman.

Ended up ordering the KZ ATR lol

Apparently they're more neutral with a bump in bass and wider soundstage than the ZS3 and ZST ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

matmanx1

I decided to get in on the E-Mu Teak drop over on Massdrop. I've talked myself out of it several times and even bought the ZMF Eikon (which is great, but sounds completely different despite having a bio-cellulose driver) thinking I was done with closed back woodies for a while.

But there's something about that Fostex driver that's just really fantastic sounding to me for electronica and dub-step that I find myself wishing I still had my TH-X00's laying around.

So, now I just have to wait until July!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My Teak is supposed to be shipping out this week. If they push it back and lump me in with the Massdrop group, they're going to give me back my $40 shipping fee.

Phoenixus

Looking for some advice on headphones purchases. I'm after a wireless pair that can double as effective noise cancelling headphones when not actually in use for music; just started an automail operator position and the machinery is very loud (not allowed to listen to music during work so I can't do it that way) .
So a pair that I can use practically for work and also attach to listen to music on the commute to and from would be fantastic. :)

andylsun

Looking for some advice on headphones purchases. I'm after a wireless pair that can double as effective noise cancelling headphones when not actually in use for music; just started an automail operator position and the machinery is very loud (not allowed to listen to music during work so I can't do it that way) .
So a pair that I can use practically for work and also attach to listen to music on the commute to and from would be fantastic. :)

Passive ear plugs are better than active noise cancelling headphones in noisy work environments. There's some good triple flange ones.

Phoenixus

Probably give bose or the planotronics backbeat pro 2 a look.

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

Passive ear plugs are better than active noise cancelling headphones in noisy work environments. There's some good triple flange ones.

We do get provided disposable ear plugs at work that are quite effective, so that need isn't an immediate worry, I'm more after the convenience of a two in one solution.

RS4-

So, for the hell of it, I got a pair of the XB950BTs for 50 CAD. I kind of like them.

But eh, I'm goddamn casual lol.

Xander51

Thinking of picking up that new Best Buy exclusive Audio-Technica SR6BT. Basically looks like a wireless MSR7, or a bigger SR5. I don't currently have any wireless headphones and I've always liked their bright signature.

They've also got the new "direct digital drive" DSR7's in stock at my local store, but those don't have support for analog audio of any kind and I use standard wired connections just often enough that I would still want to have that.

Kind of surprising to see an end cap full of Audio-Technica stuff the last time I was in Best Buy.

LQX

Massdrop x Fostex T-X0 incoming...

A custom production version of the much-loved T50RP, the Massdrop x Fostex T-X0 headphones feature the original MKII tooling, plus a new look and feel. They have a stealthy black-on-black aesthetic, a double headband assembly for comfort, and deep, plush ear pads made of protein leather and velour. The sound, too, has been updated based on feedback and modifications from the community, delivering clarity, richness, and great bass slam.

These headphones launch Monday, June 12 at 6 a.m. PST. Only 1,900 pairs will be available, all serialized, and this will be the final run with this specific tooling. To be notified when they become available, click “Request” on the drop page below.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-t-x0-planar-magnetic-headphones??mode=guest_open

Tommy DJ

Ehhh unless you want a T50RP w/ the most common materials, $150 USD + shipping isn't that great for a T50RP mod. The HD6XX was significantly better value.

You're still limited by the T50RP driver at the end of the day.

andylsun

Yeah if you want a t50RP for modding there are better deals you can get.

Haven't seen one (t50rp mk 3) for less than $127 for a refurb on amazon. Waiting for one less than $100, which I did see a few weeks ago. Have you seen anything better that I should look at?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haven't seen one (t50rp mk 3) for less than $127 for a refurb on amazon. Waiting for one less than $100, which I did see a few weeks ago. Have you seen anything better that I should look at?

Actually kinda hard to find one right now because these are the mk2 version which are discontinued in favour of the mk3, but i do see the mk3 go on sale pretty frequently.

Xander51

Yeah that's why I'm interested. Never got a chance to hear the Mk2 myself, and this looks like a pretty sleek/good take on it.

matmanx1

For games and movies how is the DT 990? They're relatively cheap nowadays so im thinking about giving them a try for multimedia stuff

Not bad at all. Extremely comfortable and decent sounding. Not my favorite in terms of tone and timbre for actually listening to music but for games and movies they should be fine.

KZ ATR

Initial impressions are good. Really good. Coming from the Piston 3 the ATR handles the lower end much better with control. Punchy, tight bass but doesn't have the same quantity as the P3. Wider soundstage. P3 with certain tracks could have fatiguing highs, but currently not experiencing that with the ATR. Better clarity throughout.

I'd recommend this cheap stuff :D

RS4-

KZ ATR

Initial impressions are good. Really good. Coming from the Piston 3 the ATR handles the lower end much better with control. Punchy, tight bass but doesn't have the same quantity as the P3. Wider soundstage. P3 with certain tracks could have fatiguing highs, but currently not experiencing that with the ATR. Better clarity throughout.

I'd recommend this cheap stuff :D

Shittiest thing is waiting for them to be delivered from China

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Chan says my headphones are ready, and he'll hopefully get the Fedex tracking info for my Teak on Monday.

I haven't been this excited for a new headphone in years.

I've really been enjoying my Xiaomi Hybrid (!+1) a lot. I really only bought it for the bass, and it delivers in spades.

RS4-

I bought them through Amazon :D

Lol. When I ordered my ATRs and ZS3s last year, amazon canada pricing was fucking garbage, I think it was like 3x the price and comparable shipping times. So I stuck with aliexpress, got it within a month anyway.

I feel like ordering another pair of KZs, gonna see what they've got new.

edit - lol, didn't realize they have ZS5s.

Not bad at all. Extremely comfortable and decent sounding. Not my favorite in terms of tone and timbre for actually listening to music but for games and movies they should be fine.

Been using one for a few days and I appreciate the bigger stage compared to what I'm used to. It's a bit too bright for me though.

I found a pair of almost brand new first generations T1's for around $400. I borrowed a T1 for a couple of weeks about a year ago and their positional accuracy is very good. The soundstage isn't huge, but it's very spherical in shape. I might have to mod them though if they end up being too bright. Treble on Beyerdynamic headphones bothers me sometimes.

Lol. When I ordered my ATRs and ZS3s last year, amazon canada pricing was fucking garbage, I think it was like 3x the price and comparable shipping times. So I stuck with aliexpress, got it within a month anyway.

I feel like ordering another pair of KZs, gonna see what they've got new.

edit - lol, didn't realize they have ZS5s.

I was impatient, and they were only $5 extra on Amazon :)

Yeah, the ZS5 are apparently pretty good.

andylsun

20 year old headphones getting it done. I put new ear pads and headband pad (had to use the hd-580 part for the headband) a few years ago and they are sounding glorious.

Nice out of the dragonfly 1.2

8tb0wpsl.jpg

Edit

And the Fiio.

h1xCsDdl.jpg

geetec

Neo Member
Hey guys, I just lost my Brainwavz BLU-100. Sad times.
I want IEM's (bluetooth wireless), something that sits comfortably to go to gym with, something I can take on long walks without them falling out.
I don't mind paying a little extra for something better. I'd like something good since I'm using these things almost 24/7.

What does headphone-gaf recommend?

Piano

Banned
So my Brainwavz something-or-another started crackling in the left earbud after several years of dutiful service.

Is the MEE M6 Pro a good replacement option for <$50?

Top Bottom