• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of headphones do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
What's a good $50-range set of headphones for indoor/outdoor use? I presently own a pair of Koss KSC-50s, and while I think they sound awesome for the price, they're just not very comfortable headphones and tend to allow alot of outside noise in. I'm not a big earbud fan, as I've found most pairs just don't want to stay in, but some of the newer in-ear sets sound interesting. I've read alot of good things about the Sennheiser PX 100s, both in and outside this forum in terms of quality versus value. Some Amazon reviews claim they're not worth it, while many more seem to love them. Do they seem about right?

tedtropy

Bumpshizzle. I bought the aforementioned PX 100's on Amazon. Have I made a horrible mistake?

Dilbert

tedtropy said:
Bumpshizzle. I bought the aforementioned PX 100's on Amazon. Have I made a horrible mistake?
The PX200s are the closed variant of the ones you bought. I have a pair -- they are pretty good.

tedtropy

-jinx- said:
The PX200s are the closed variant of the ones you bought. I have a pair -- they are pretty good.

Cool, sounds good. I don't really mind the fact that they're open, as I like for my ears to "breathe" when I'm listening for extended periods.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I use Sony MDR-CD480s

Best. Headphones. Ever.

though since i think they are phased out and my current pair is screwed (The wiring) i'm gonna have to look into another brand considering their latest has apparently been not-so-good when compared to these bad boys :<

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sennheiser HD 580s at home, such good cans. Makes it feel like my brain is melting when I listen to noise. I've had them for like 5 years, had my cable go out on my once, I use them pretty much every day for quite a few hours.

B00005S8KM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Shitty Sony earbuds at work. My Sony EX51s and EX71s both died after fucking 6 months of use. Gonna buy something nice for work, though I don't know what yet. Probably something over the ear, something around $50, less is better though. My shortlist is Sennheiser 201 (my cheap-ish choice), Sennheiser 497, Grado SR60 (though I fear them being uncomfortable, I use my cans ~8 hours a day...), Koss PortaPro, AKG K26P. Gonna probably order a pair of PortaPros for my significant other. Lifetime warrenty, good sound, kitschy ugly, nice price.

Jesus Carbomb said:
The PX 100's are open headphones so they may not give you the isolation that you're looking for. I would've considered the HD 212 Pro or maybe the AKG K26P's at that price point, both being sealed headphones.

Someone recommended me those AKG26ps on another forum for the sort of thing I was complaining about earlier in the thread. Anyone use these? How comfortable are they? Sound?

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Dragona Akehi said:
Someone recommended me those AKG26ps on another forum for the sort of thing I was complaining about earlier in the thread. Anyone use these? How comfortable are they? Sound?

Upon further reading about these phones at headfi.org, I may have to retract the recommendation that I made earlier. Apparently there have been some quality control issues with the latest production run of these headphones.. some are saying that the latest AKG26p's sound somewhat different from the intitial release, mostly in the area of the bass being muddy and bloated. Could be an isolated incedent, could be widespread.. who knows. Thought I should let you know though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
border said:
Why does everyone own such gigantic headphones? Are you all podcasters or something?

Sometimes you like to keep it loud without annoying the neighbors. :)

Anyway, there are a lot of great headphones in this thread (am I the only one who finds the term "cans" a little pretentious?) Up until July or so, I was a very happy owner of the Sennheiser PX100s. They were great, but I made the mistake of leaving them in my bag during a beach trip; needless to say, sand is very adept at getting into the drivers, and naturally they'd just passed the warranty point. Not that Sennheiser was likely to fix something so obviously due to negligence anyway. My one and only complaint about the PX100s was that on a plane they were useless.

But I digress.

On Friday I ordered two sets of headphones:

1) Koss PortaPro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001P4ZH/?tag=neogaf0e-20), pretty much the only ~$50 pair that seems to equal the PX100s. Why didn't I just get the Sennheisers again? What can I say? I dig the retro. I'll let the Sennheiser and Koss fanboys duke it out over which pair is truly better; goodcans.com and headphone.com treat both as tiny Gods. Also, the PortaPros were slightly cheaper, and we all know how that affected sales of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I plan on using them for general milling about: walking around, the bus, train, etc. Areas where the open design will let me hear important announcements, oncoming traffic, etc. Nothing too fancy, but a step above over most cheap headphones you can pick up at retail.

2) Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065BPB/?tag=neogaf0e-20. They're closed, which should solve my airplane problem, and opens the possibility of me dragging the iPod to work (which, incidentally, can apparently drive these things just fine. Hooray for German efficiency!) Plus, being an apartment dweller, they'll let me keep my music/movies/games nice and loud well into the night. Generally, much more adept at handling HT (not that I have one yet) shit than the PortaPros. Not ideal, obviously, being closed and all. But they'll do quite nicely.

icecap

Banned
hd590.jpg

SENNHEISER HD590 if i want good sound

Plantronics-DSP-500.jpg

PLANTRONICS DSP-500 for gaming

MDR-EX81LPB.jpg

Sony MDR-EX81LP when im out. They suck ass though, most uncomfortable shits ever.

Timbuktu

SENNHEISER HD590 for good sound and SHURE e3c on the go. Both have been mentioned already, so there isn't much I can add. I have used both for a couple of years now and I don't realy have anything bad to say about them.

BTMash

I don't think its been in this thread, but what would you guys recommend for around $75 cdn? Its something I'd prefer being able to take with me on the go (so preferably earbuds, but headphones can suffice as well). Combine my lack of knowledge on headphones/earbuds with a not-so-large budget, which is why I'm unsure of what I should be looking for.

Fifty

Timbuktu said:
and SHURE e3c on the go. Both have been mentioned already, so there isn't much I can add. I have used both for a couple of years now and I don't realy have anything bad to say about them.

I just got some Shure e3c's for christmas. At first I hated their sound, but that was because I hadn't inserted them all the way, you have to insert those buggers deep for them to truly work. My problem though, is that they kept slipping out. Any tricks to keeping the bastards lodged deep within your ears?

Whatever's cheap.

I have shit luck with the god damned things.

I had a $99 pair of Sony headphones. My idiot family asked to borrow them. I never saw them for MONTHS. So I go over their house, "Where's my headphones?"

Oh your retard (Sorry it's autism, but may as well be a fuckin' retard) foster brother fucking blew them out.

Blew them out?!

How's that fucking possible without damaging your god damned hearing?!

And of course since they're my inconsiderate prick family they made no offer to re-imburse me or replace them. Which is why some day I'll make a nice handbag from their skins. >:|

The replacement set I purchased was slightly less expensive.

One day I came home from whatever the hell I was doing. Threw them on my kitchen table, thinking nothing of it. A few days later I grab my CD player and headphones to go exercise. Get outside, what the? No sound. Hmmmm. . . wiggle the cord, sound pops in and out. Examine the cord - oh my cat fucking sliced the cable. >:|

So now I just go cheap and dirty. If something gets fucked up, I don't want to be out a bunch of cash.

shamo42

Beyerdynamic DT880

senn8tn.jpg

quote from an other user:
"clean, excellent bass, great delineation of voices and instrumental detail"
Have been using them for years and that describes it pretty well.

xsarien

daedsiluap
dot-Nick said:
What are some good headphone review sites?

The thing is, it's a horribly subjective thing. Earlier in the thread, Fart recommended head-fi.org, which is basically the GAF of audiophiles. Of course, it was absolutely useless to me for that very reason. :p

The write-ups at headphone.com are nice and brief, and they let you pick recommendations based on things like budget, use, etc. Only one factor at a time, but it's good starting point. I'm a little hesitant to recommend goodcans.com because, honestly, they're really hung up on Grado; the reviews are pretty pointless if you're looking for something outside of that line.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
es7-cablerefl.jpg

Ooooooh, those look smart. Not many reviews and a little more than I'd like to spend (~$150). But I imagine they're still pretty good. And aesthetics counts for a LOT! I did a bunch of reading on Thursday at work, and I'm really considering the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, though $100 is a lot to gamble on some in-ear cans. I don't know. This isn't as easy as when I bought my cans for home, because there's so many more factors at play!

Timbuktu

Fifty said:
I just got some Shure e3c's for christmas. At first I hated their sound, but that was because I hadn't inserted them all the way, you have to insert those buggers deep for them to truly work. My problem though, is that they kept slipping out. Any tricks to keeping the bastards lodged deep within your ears?

I don't really have that problem although they do slip out sometimes when I'm jogging, but everyone's ears different so I guess it's best to experiment with all the sleeves to find the right pair. The foam sleeves, of course, should be the best, the only problem i have with them is that they are so good at isolation, wearing them on the streets means that i might get ran over.

I use Sennheiser HD-497's.

Walking, jogging, playing games, music listening... They seem pretty nice and sound flat, not emphasizing any frequency range, and they're easy to drive with any portable music device. I haven't tried them with a headphone amp, as I don't have one. I hear they sound even better with one. The only thing I don't like is that they are kind of in between being supra-aural and circumaural, and wearing them at length can get a little uncomfortable. They are really lightweight. An excellent buy for the money.

fart

Savant
the 280s are nice, neutral closed headphones. very well recommended in the 100$ range.

The thing is, it's a horribly subjective thing. Earlier in the thread, Fart recommended head-fi.org, which is basically the GAF of audiophiles. Of course, it was absolutely useless to me for that very reason. :p

The write-ups at headphone.com are nice and brief, and they let you pick recommendations based on things like budget, use, etc. Only one factor at a time, but it's good starting point. I'm a little hesitant to recommend goodcans.com because, honestly, they're really hung up on Grado; the reviews are pretty pointless if you're looking for something outside of that line.

:lol YES, the head-fi headphone and portable forums are EXACTLY an audiophile GAF!! you really have to take everything you read there with the uh, the dead sea, dried and distilled. the DIY forum is great, and the only thing i tend to read there. chu moy used to have some forums that were the only, and best source of headphone reviews and discussion, but head-fi has really exploded in the last 3-4 years, and the result has been an invasion of audiophile bullshit; all the worst parts of audio asylum and gaf mashed together. the one thing you can trust though is that if a pair of headphones is manufactured that is any good, someone will be talking about it. of course, that doesn't mean that they won't also talking about a lot of pairs of headphones that are total shite, but eh, that's how it's going to be.

there used to be a prevailing wisdom, as well, when the headphone market moved more slowly than it seems to be moving these days. you can still find a lot of that prevailing wisdom in the headphone.com (headroom) reviews of headphones. they tend to be pretty objective, and won't try to upsell you needlessly on a pair of headphones (amplification on the other hand...). they also have some great measurement equipment (are they still doing this?) and are trying to come up with a repeatable benchmark, which is pretty cool (and ridiculously rare in the world of audio electronics). for the most part, in the 0-100$ range, headroom sells pretty much everything that's worth looking at, and their reviews are pretty much spot-on for these products. the only thing they're missing is the emergent products that people on head-fi blither about, but only a few of these ever end up amounting to anything.

I still need a recommendation. Since those AKGs appear to be a bust, I'm still in need of a pair of cans that are decently portable and don't hurt my ears.

Are the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros relatively portable? I know they're pricey...

Dragona Akehi said:
I need some recommendations for a good set of headphones. Currently I have a pair of KossUR40 cans that I picked up that are fairly decent, but they are not very portable.

I cannot wear anything that goes into my ear canal (such as the average ear bud) as they are extremely painful. Even the smaller headphones that wrap over your ear (and have no headband) cause quite a bit of discomfort if not outright pain.

So is there anything that has a traditional "full headphone" shape but has good sound (the Koss aren't that great to be honest, but I got them for cheap) and are portable? I don't carry a purse or a bag or anything so something to stick in a pocket would be best. Noise cancelling would be nice (I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD-280 closed cans) but I've heard that they can be painful or uncomfortable to wear, and with my knowledge of how much pain some earbuds have caused me , I'm a little ambivalent (along with them being just a LEETLE out of my price range at the moment).

I'll just quote what I wrote before. Any help?

fart

Savant
do you mean portable as in headphones you can wear while on the move? or portable as in headphones you can carry in a bag or backpack between listening in a stationary type of situation.

A bit of both. Something for subways and planes that can reduce noise (closed cans) would be best.

I don't mind bulky headphones while I'm on the move, but I need something I can put away and doesn't take up too much space (and require a bag). I don't carry a bag/purse/backpack so something that can fit in a coat or cargo pocket would be good.

fart

Savant
so you want a closed, full-sized headphone that will deaden subway noises, be comfortable on the move, and fit in your pocket, and you want to spend as little as possible. OK THEN!

I realise I'm asking for too much. :p

The AKG 26P, or whatever they were seemed like a good comprimise, but people are saying they're not so hot now. (The sound quality has been significantly comprimised, supposedly).

Most important is comfort and sound (with portability). So, nothing that goes into my ears, has a headband and doesn't have shit sound. Portability would be a big plus. I was looking at the Senn 280s because noise blocking'd be nice.

If there ARE a pair of headphones that cost 302480984938$ but fit my needs, I'd just save up for them. That help? :p

fart

Savant
sony d66 eggos. same drivers as the 7506/mdr-v6. should be able to find them for a little less than the 280. slightly more ruggedized, and stylish. sorry, had to cogitate on that one for a bit.

the key is that it folds up.

Grimlock

I'm currently using all sorts of stuff. On my PC I'm using Sony MDR-CD380's for when my Megaworks 510 spearkers are too much. On my TV I'm using a set of Panasonic RP-HT355, primarily for the long cord. But on my iRiver H320, I'm currently using either a set of Panasonic RP-HJE50W earbuds whenever things get noisy at the office, or the Sennheiser earbuds that came with the H320 otherwise. However, because iRiver is running an automatic 40% off coupon for accessories, I have a pair of Sennheiser PX100's on the way for my precious iRiver. I'm also considering replacing the Panasonic earbuds since the sound quality is kinda sub-par...frankly, they stink in comparison to my Sennheiser buds. I'm just debating whether the Shure e2c's are worth it, even at the discount I could get them at-if my luck holds.

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:

Not at all, the only reason I no longer use mine is because I broke them. :( But keep in mind that since they're open - and "portable" class - they won't do you much good in areas where there's overwhelming background noise.

Dragona Akehi said:
Are the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros relatively portable? I know they're pricey...

They're "portable" in that yes, you can carry them around if you so choose. They're definitely not, well...discreet, and certainly won't fit in any kind of pocket. :p I think they're best suited to home use, to be honest. Maybe rare instances while you're out and you absolutely, positively need to isolate yourself a bit from the world to hear your stuff. They're not noise-cancelling headphones, though.

i actually have a pair of d66 eggos. they are nice, but not exactly "bass-heavy." but then again, i haven't used them that much. i'll take pics when i go back to my apt this weekend if you want.

i am a big fan of the sony 888 earbuds. i'm on my 2nd pair, and i actually just modded them so they sound very, very, very nice.

thinking about spending a little more and diving into some westone um2s or maybe some shures (although i hear the shures tend to be light on the bass and heavy on the treble).

tedtropy

PX100_hires.jpg

Got my Sennheiser PX-100s in from Amazon yesterday, and while I'm no expert audiophile, I think they sound pretty incredible. I bought these to replace my Koss KSC-50s, which I felt were great headphones for the money, but weren't the most comfortable things to wear, weren't snug enough to my ear, and just made everything a little too bassy. The PX-100s seem to have a pretty amazing range to them - they handled the KMFDM and System of a Down tracks I through at them while retaining enough bass, yet were delicate enough to reproduce a little light classical really well. They seem to handle high volumes without distorting and are just amazingly comfortable, I especially like the little pads placed on the inside of the head-band. While I think their ability to collapse and go inside a case is neat, I can see myself getting tired of the process of getting them in said case. That aside, I think these suckers are well worth the $45 and would recommend them to anyone looking for a good set of headphones in the $50-ish range.

tedtropy

carpal said:
Amen to that. I've even dropped mine in the ocean and they still sound good.

Back in the day when Sony made products that didn't break if you farted near them.

Blackie

k240studioscreen.gif

I've been using AKG K240 Studio headphones for the past two years and might never wear another pair. They are comfortable at all times and sound fucking awesome at all times. I wear these big headphones outside WITH PRIDE.

carpal

tedtropy said:
Back in the day when Sony made products that didn't break if you farted near them.

This is true, but I bought these cans only two years ago, so I would guess even new V6s can take a beating.

FUCK.

My Etymotic 6i's left earbud stopped working today. I'm beyond my warranty but am still pretty pissed. I just figured I'd bump this because I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with theirs. Sound still comes out of the left earbud...but it's incredibly quiet and sounds garbled compared to the right one.

:(

Forgotten Ancient said:
FUCK.

My Etymotic 6i's left earbud stopped working today. I'm beyond my warranty but am still pretty pissed. I just figured I'd bump this because I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with theirs. Sound still comes out of the left earbud...but it's incredibly quiet and sounds garbled compared to the right one.

:(

Try changing the filter on the left earbud. The headphones should have come with two replacement filters that you must use after a period because there becomes a wax buildup inside the nozzle of the headphone.

If you've lost them you can order them from Etymotic.

Also you might want to give them a call anyway. Etymotic has quite possibly the best costumer support of any company I've ever had experiance with. This alone is one reason why I recommend their products. While they're not always for everyone I suggest everyone gives their products a try because they are very high quality and Etymotic works hard to ensure the satisfaction of their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom