• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Massdrop is really churning these things out.

middle_image__1__20170911114134.jpg

This is more interesting to me though. The liquid carbon is a proven product, and having one at a fraction of the price seems great.

It'll be interesting if they'll size down their higher end amps.

Antiwhippy

Fiio has their own version too if you're only using mmcx iems.

Edit: hmm, seems like they haven't released that yet?

matmanx1

This is more interesting to me though. The liquid carbon is a proven product, and having one at a fraction of the price seems great.

It'll be interesting if they'll size down their higher end amps.

Cheaper chassis than the LC, that's for sure. I bet the sound quality will be just about spot on though in which case I think the Jotunheim is superior.

It is nice to see Massdrop (and Cavalli) giving Schiit some competition though. Solid state headphone amps really aren't my thing anymore so I'm still more excited about the CTH but I can see the LC X being really popular at that price.

Prez

Has anyone listened to both the V Moda M100 and LP2? I liked the LP2 more. I could hear a little more bass, less treble which sounded better for hiphop and funk. I'd prefer the M100 for less bass focused genres but I have my HD555 for that.

HiResDes

LP2 wasn't awful, but definitely sounded more muddy, more midbass, but I felt like the subbass was better presented on the M100...It had much more bass than something like HD555

Prez

I'm starting to wonder now, is it really worth upgrading to HD650 if I only listen to Spotify on a budget smartphone + headphone amp but no external dac? Does the amp (Fiio A5) make a bigger difference than an external dac would?

LP2 wasn't awful, but definitely sounded more muddy, more midbass, but I felt like the subbass was better presented on the M100...It had much more bass than something like HD555

I'm pretty careful with my hearing. With the LP2 I felt I could play at a louder volume without feeling it's damaging my hearing as much as the clearer sounding M100, resulting in more bass.

Prez

What makes headphones sound like you're in the front row of a concert? I've been testing more headphones and I noticed a lot of them do this. To me it's annoying. When I'm going to a concert I much prefer sitting in the middle row.

Is it louder upper mids that make you feel like you're up front? Those tend to fatigue me the most, just too much energy. I notice this on my HD555 as well, I can't listen to saxophone or trumpet recordings very long before fatigue sets in.

I'm reading that the HD650 and HD600 put you more in front of the stage which I did notice a little bit during test. I'm starting to think I actually need cheaper headphones to move me back to middle row.

What makes headphones sound like you're in the front row of a concert? I've been testing more headphones and I noticed a lot of them do this. To me it's annoying. When I'm going to a concert I much prefer sitting in the middle row.

Is it louder upper mids that make you feel like you're up front? Those tend to fatigue me the most, just too much energy. I notice this on my HD555 as well, I can't listen to saxophone or trumpet recordings very long before fatigue sets in.

I'm reading that the HD650 and HD600 put you more in front of the stage which I did notice a little bit during test. I'm starting to think I actually need cheaper headphones to move me back to middle row.

Used hd800 can be had for close to $600 these days. Your no where near the front row.

luffeN

Hello!

I am looking for a headset that has the audio quality of the ATH-A500X or similar/better and is wireless. Is there anything like this on the market?

Edit: Hmm, I just read the following in an article reviewing 8 headsets: "Wireless technology isn't very good for music, but it is perfectly fine for gaming purposes." So I guess an all in one solution with good music quality and good gaming quality is out of the question?

Prez

He's so sensitive to treble he'd probably greatly dislike them. I'd suggest the NAD Viso HP50 but they might be a little bass light for you.

While I dislike very high treble like in DT880, I'm not overly sensitive to it. It's the 4-5kHz region (upper mids) that bothers me more and a lot of headphones have a little bump at those frequencies. HD600 has enjoyable treble to my ears but so far I prefer the HD650 because they don't have that bump (what audiophiles would describe as recessed upper mids). Though I do like the slighty higher treble on the HD600 a bit more.

I've had my hearing tested several times and my hearing treshold is better at 6kHz than at 8kHz. I think that's why I can appreciate more higher treble but not lower treble (6kHz). I get a major downslope after 10kHz though (which I was able to test during my audiology internship at a university hospital).

Antiwhippy

I'm looking for a nice used set of over-ear wired headphones.

Any thoughts on the Akai Professional Project 50X. From the numbers, they seems as good or better than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x but at a third of the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDB79T4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At that pricepoint I'd say go for the takstar pro 80, though it seems that it's not on amazon if that a deal breaker. It's basically the hyperX cloud's drivers.

Ushay

This thread is amazing for info.

I recently had the Astro A50, which hugely disappointed me with both its audio and battery life. So I've done some research since then and have boiled it down to the following, (below) I'm looking for great sound performance for both gaming and Amazon/Netflix.

Ls40 - This was my wireless option, I ha e heard among the wireless options this has superior audio.

Sennheiser Game One - If I pair this with a mix amp I believe I can get excellent sound with a wide sound stage.

I was also considering the Razer Thresher, but they seem like overpriced for what it delivers.

Any other recommendations? My budget is around £200 for now.

jiiikoo

Banned
Im in the market for a pair of wireless earbuds and since they’re mainly to be used with my iPhone and Apple Watch, Im torn between the Airpods and BeatsX. Which is better in terms of sound quality?

HiResDes

I recently had the Astro A50, which hugely disappointed me with both its audio and battery life. So I've done some research since then and have boiled it down to the following, (below) I'm looking for great sound performance for both gaming and Amazon/Netflix.

Ls40 - This was my wireless option, I ha e heard among the wireless options this has superior audio.

Sennheiser Game One - If I pair this with a mix amp I believe I can get excellent sound with a wide sound stage.

I was also considering the Razer Thresher, but they seem like overpriced for what it delivers.

Get the Fidelio X2 and pair them with the Boompro Mic

Duxxy3

Sennheiser PC37X

matmanx1

Honestly your amp choice can also change where and how you perceive the sound presented by your headphones. That's one of the reasons I let my Jotunheim go in favor of the much less expensive Vali 2. Jotunheim sound -> very close, up in your face. Vali 2 sound -> farther back, more omnidirectional.

Like you, I prefer to be farther back and feel like the sound is all around me rather than just coming right for my face from in front of me.

HiResDes

Im in the market for a pair of wireless earbuds and since they’re mainly to be used with my iPhone and Apple Watch, Im torn between the Airpods and BeatsX. Which is better in terms of sound quality?
If you can just use Bluetooth there are tons of better options out there

What about the SHP9500 with boom Pro, cheaper and I've heard glowing reviews for this pair?

Plus the super low impedence means I may not have to have an amp for gaming.

Solid option. The X2 is a much better headphone if you can afford it. The SHP9500 lacks low end.

cheez124

eyy headphone GAF, first time posting in here. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for a good pair of portable headphones with little to no sound leakage. I just want something I can use in public places without people being able to hear what I'm listening to.

My budget is around $200 or so. I have some HD598s that I use at home, so I'd kinda prefer something with a similar sound to those, but it's not that big a deal.

kami_sama

Sooo, my rock zircon's left ear just crapped out.
I still have some she3590s lying around but I want some iems with controls.
I was looking at the kz zst, zs3 and sound intone e3, any other recommendations?

If it helps, I like better the sound of the philips compared to the zircon's.

Antiwhippy

eyy headphone GAF, first time posting in here. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for a good pair of portable headphones with little to no sound leakage. I just want something I can use in public places without people being able to hear what I'm listening to.

My budget is around $200 or so. I have some HD598s that I use at home, so I'd kinda prefer something with a similar sound to those, but it's not that big a deal.

I'd give the audio technica msr7 a look.

HiResDes

Sooo, my rock zircon's left ear just crapped out.
I still have some she3590s lying around but I want some iems with controls.
I was looking at the kz zst, zs3 and sound intone e3, any other recommendations?

If it helps, I like better the sound of the philips compared to the zircon's.
Budget

Dandte

Heyas Headphone Gaf,

do you guys have preferred in ear bluetooth wireless earbuds? I love the way how the apple earpods work...but i hate their aesthetic. Here in germany a lot of cheap 40€ - 60€ wireless bluetooth earbuds have good reviews...but somethings feels fishy about that.

Maybe Gaf has better suggestions.

Budget up to 150€.

kami_sama

MusicMaker Tomahawk IEMs are supposed to be really good sounding but they're fairly new so not many reviews. I had the Soundmagic E10s and they were very solid at the price point.

Neither of those two seem to have in-line controls. Any other with them included?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seems we are going to see three new Schiit products in the next couple of weeks, starting on Tuesday. Prepare your wallets!

Btw, any experiences with Hifiman Susvara? Love my HEKs to bits, but not sure if it's a meaningful upgrade.

andylsun

Another (hopefully last) pair of STAX.

SR-40 electret. They look in perfect condition and were $40 on eBay. Main reason I want them is that I plan to build an SRX plus amplifier from the articles in audioxpress, and electrets make good cheap test headphones that don't use the bias signal so can work in both normal and pro devices.

Will give them a listen and compare to my SR-5 and SR-X Mk III.

EZCH0Dcl.jpg

LQX

I love what Massdrop is doing by bringing down prices with these collaborations but it was clear all these releases were causing buyer remorse and hesitation in joining drops for fear something better would be coming just a few weeks later, so I'm glad they're laying things out as to what is being released.

The line-up that is currently available:
· Massdrop x Grace Design Standard DAC
· Massdrop O2+SDAC
· Massdrop x Cavalli Tube Hybrid
· Massdrop CTH+SDAC
· Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon X

Rest of the year:
· Massdrop LCX+SDAC is in progress but not yet developed. (No guarantees, hopefully in 2017.)
· No other Cavalli amps planned in 2017.
· Massdrop Objective 2 amplifier in 2017.
· Liquid Crimson not planned for 2017, but thank you for the requests.
· Might be another amp or two this year but not a Cavalli.

I may cancel my LCX and wait for that Massdrop LCX+SDAC combo.

Can you link me to this?

OK here we go on the final chapter on the Manhattan. I ended off in a state of mystery – I had no idea why old prewar banjos and mandolins sounded better than new ones. Ever the non luthier, I began to read up and pull bits of data from various sites on the internet.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Lloyd Loar, master builder at Gibson from 1919-1923 built the best sounding banjos and mandolins ever. Rather than build instruments to a set of prints, he individually tap tuned the instruments to C=256 Hz for best musical performance. At that time, that was a useful mean of the non standardized pitches of the day for hillbillies, bands, and non-classical orchestras. He was eventually replaced, because he was slowing production and increasing costs. Sound familiar? Today, a Lloyd Loar signed Gibson is worth .1 to .6 million bucks. Dang!

Not being an expert luthier, it is my understanding that musical instruments have an air resonance and a string resonance, both of which exhibit harmonic properties. Above resonance, both tend to have harmonic peaks which affect the sound of the instrument, both individually and collectively. Below resonance, the response falls off quickly. So it makes some sense for the instrument to have a bit of low frequency extra air resonance.

Returning briefly to tuning, the third violin string in a classical orchestra is A4. Since the concertmaster of such an orchestra is the first violin chair, responsible for the tuning of the entire orchestra, he plays his open third string at some pitch which has varied over the last hundred years or so from A=430 to A=446 Hz. The string must be an open one, since violins are fretless, which makes any playing/tuning other than an open string subjective. This is the what the orchestras play just before the conductor appears. If there is a standard in tuning today, that standard is A=440Hz. Today there is a grassroots, nearly religious belief that an A=432Hz restoration is an imperative – many youtube performances are available in that tuning.

The problem is that the correct tuning is C=256. If we run Ivana's pitch detection developmental software on old tunes by hillbillies and blues musical non-readers (who frequently tuned their instruments by ear), we find they come the closest to C=256. How about that.

There is even an open source program (which was incorporated into at least one server) which I shall not name, free at open source sites which varies pitch to reach A=432. It is similar in function to Karaoke DSP chips to change song tunings to fit different voices. The problem is that they sound worse than hemhorroidal ass; more like open running sore ass. Anybody ever attempt serious listening to Karoke? This is something like dwarf-tossing – it is so wrong that it deserves to die.

Then there are the kooks who sit cross legged while chanting something related to bad math, chakras, and spiritual energy. These types will chatter endlessly about Nazi involvement in orchestral tunings and present conspiracy theories about evil beings trying to cause homo sapiens blindness by excessive masturbation, or something like that.

So what if someone (me) built a device where you could vary the pitch while listening and center it on C3=256? That is the Gadget. The entry level in the Manhattan series. It will be available soon for under two hundred bucks. A true, honest to God music processor. What comes out is not what came in. Oh, is that all it is, you say? I know, some of you surmised at least some of the above from my previous posts.

Well, this is what I say:

1. It does not sound like ass.

2. It has one adjustment pot and one ”You should be close" light.

3. It adjusts only pitch with no change in tempo.

4. It adjusts music to an ”aaaaahhhhhhh" mode. It is a sharp point on the adjustment. When you hit it you know.

5. The sensations it produces are as profound as and analogous to many of the positive changes proper to tube amps' comfort, or hi-def files' clarities for lack of adequate descriptors.

6. I am 69 years old and I have never heard anything as right as this in a 50 year audio career.

7. I cannot imagine listening to music without it.

8. A=432 bites the hairy banana; C=256 phucking rules.

8. It is an electronic joint. Absolutely intoxicating. I cannot put it down. It alters your mood.

This is what it will not do:

1. Work for most forms of ”scientific" or electronic music or monotonic music, such as rap.

2. Work for any forms of music where harmony, pitch, or rhythm is missing.

Thanks to Ivana, who developed the algorithm for this idea and programmed this for us. It took over a year to get it to where it didn't sound like ass. It will take much more of her time to get the bigger one finished.

Oh, and by the way, my partner Jason has pointed out:
"Unlike some recent attempts to improve recorded music, The Gadget does not incorporate any possibilities for DRM, including phone-homes, algorithmic degradation, or device serialization/deauthorization, nor does it attempt to extract licensing fees from the recording industry, equipment manufacturers, or listeners; it does not require any kind of encoding, works with all music, and is 100% self-contained."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/page-306

In that thread there are more "chapters" where he talks about MP, but this last post on the subject is by far the most revealing one, so far.

Regards.

EDIT: Ah, it's basically the same post linked by SolarMystic :)

EDIT2: Since Mike says MP will not work with all styles of music, i'm wondering if "not working" means it does nothing or if it affects it in any way. Ah, I just need to wait a bit more.

matmanx1

Can't wait for Manhattan Project. It sounds like a real game-changer for most types of music. Schiit keeps on bringing the good stuff.

Top Bottom