• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is SF4 supposed to have online play?

Gassey

Banned
The levels in the lite must be different to the full, as I can't find the level you've described. I'm about half way through medium in the full version.

mrkgoo

Mike Works said:
seriously, i cannot see how it's possible to beat level 3 on medium in color bind

The game is mostly logic. I''' check later, as I'm part way through hard and finished all of normal and medium.

edit: I think I found the one. Level 41 in the full game. It's possible because I have done it, but I remember having some issue. I'll do it again and post a shot (have to rush for bus now, though).

timnich

Is there anything out on the App Store that is like Word Ace, but with actual poker? I mean presentation wise and the ability to play with random people. I love Word Ace and its super polished feel, but lately it seems like people are playing with those anagram generators, which makes it kinda impossible for anyone else to win.

Actually, what are some good multiplayer games over wifi? Any genre is fine.

Costanza

Banned
timnich said:
Is there anything out on the App Store that is like Word Ace, but with actual poker? I mean presentation wise and the ability to play with random people. I love Word Ace and its super polished feel, but lately it seems like people are playing with those anagram generators, which makes it kinda impossible for anyone else to win.
Card Ace lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
ColorBIND can suck a rotten grapefruit. It took me forever to get through the demo, and I still feel like a dumbass after beating it. There's no way I'm torturing myself with a full version.

Foob

anyone here try fly kiwi fly? looks fun but i can't tell if it's one of those games where you try and fly for as long as possible or not.. I'm looking for a game like that..

Jonnyram

There's an interview up on Game Watch about Taiko no Tatsujin for those interested:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/iphone/20100224_350933.html

In brief:
They will not release new songs as DLC - they will release new songs as a new app. A couple of reasons are provided:
1) DLC doesn't boost your sales rankings so you won't get exposure for being popular
2) They'd have to drop the price of the base app, and in that case they wouldn't be able to include any songs in it, and they just don't think it would work out like that (I don't get this reasoning, personally - why not just leave the base app as is)

They are planning to release apps with music grouped by genre, i.e. a jpop version, a Namco originals version, a classical version etc. They joke that they want to release 16 apps, so they can make a page full of Taiko apps.

Dacvak said:
ColorBIND can suck a rotten grapefruit. It took me forever to get through the demo, and I still feel like a dumbass after beating it. There's no way I'm torturing myself with a full version.

I really like it, but it's far too hard. Sorry, but no sale: I can't infuriate myself like that.

trudderham said:
Was just looking at the Sega Genesis app coming soon and was thinking about the iPad. Wouldn't it be amazing if Sega brought a Dreamcast emulator/port came to it? The iPad's certainly fast enough...
Yeah, the iPad is nowhere near fast enough to emulate a last-gen game system (Dreamcast was same generation as PS2, Gamecube, XBox, remember). Maybe for some of the simpler 2D games like ChuChu Rocket...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, the iPad is nowhere near fast enough to emulate a last-gen game system (Dreamcast was same generation as PS2, Gamecube, XBox, remember). Maybe for some of the simpler 2D games like ChuChu Rocket...

New ChuChu Rocket game? That would be awesome

Munin

Can anyone tell me what's the best Hold 'em single player experience as far as iPhone games go? I'm not interested in multiplayer and it'd be cool if there was something that offered a bit more substance for singleplayer mode.

Jonnyram said:
There's an interview up on Game Watch about Taiko no Tatsujin for those interested:

In brief:
They will not release new songs as DLC - they will release new songs as a new app. A couple of reasons are provided:
1) DLC doesn't boost your sales rankings so you won't get exposure for being popular
2) They'd have to drop the price of the base app, and in that case they wouldn't be able to include any songs in it, and they just don't think it would work out like that (I don't get this reasoning, personally - why not just leave the base app as is)

They are planning to release apps with music grouped by genre, i.e. a jpop version, a Namco originals version, a classical version etc. They joke that they want to release 16 apps, so they can make a page full of Taiko apps.
Kinda glad I don't have to suffer through that, what a stupid idea. A page of apps? Great. S there's this one specific song I want to play, it's OK, I'll find it on the ninth or so try.

japtor

I understand the logic, like I preferred the $7 DDR S with 20-30 songs vs the other one with DLC out the ass.

...but I don't think it works as well when you only have like six songs or whatever they put in Taiko.

mrkgoo

whatevermort said:
I really like it, but it's far too hard. Sorry, but no sale: I can't infuriate myself like that.

Really?

I've got one level left, and maybe half a dozen actually posed a real problem. I would actually like some dlc levels.

Costanza

Banned
Battle For Wesnoth is 99 cents (down from $4.99) TODAY ONLY.

Battle for Wesnoth is the official port of a gigantic, complex and detailed full-scale strategy-RPG. We made sure that nothing was cut from the game, everything from flags flapping to skeletons juggling their heads, it's all here!

Wesnoth is a unique combination of tactical strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Panzer General, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Using your hero, you need to capture villages to gain income, and recruit new units to do battle. These units gain experience through combat and can level up into powerful new classes. But make sure to protect your veteran troops, as they can be recalled throughout a campaign!

* Almost 200 campaign scenarios across 15 major campaigns - literally hundreds of hours of gameplay!!
* Over 200 fully animated unit types in six major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells
* Experienced units gain powerful new abilities as they advance
* Bring your battle-hardened troops with you as you fight through campaigns
* Highly detailed and varied terrain graphics
* Three levels of difficulty for casual to hardcore players
* Cross-platform multiplayer matches against iPhone, PC, mac and linux players!
* Professional music score with 90 minutes of original music
* OpenFeint integration with achievements

691963_4.jpg

691963_5.jpg

EzLink

Banned
Hmm, according to the appstore reviews the game seems to crash a lot. Regardless, I bought it. The idea of "hundreds" of hours of gameplay for a buck is too tempting to pass up. Plus the discount is in celebration of his daughters birth! Kinda cool

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Count me in to the list of people who've spent more time playing on iPhone than on other platforms in 2010. Orbital, Doodle Jump, Dark Nebula and Angry Birds are just perfect little games. And I seriously believe in iPad's potential as a gaming machine.

Battle for Wesnoth is free to play on your computer, apparently.

Anyone own Lumines? How does it match up with the established versions of the game?

Also, slightly OT but can someone recommend an iPhone case? I've been using casemate's naked case but am about to stop using it because it leaves some vertical scratches on the back of the phone... I don't care if it's hard or soft but if it has a screen protector that's a plus.

EzLink said:
Wow. The description sounds good, but has anyone here played it? I'm sure it's worth the 99 cents though regardless

It's a fan made port of the PC version. The interface is absolutely terrible. There are honestly much better choices if you're looking for strategy games on the iPhone.

EzLink

Banned
Peronthious said:
It's a fan made port of the PC version. The interface is absolutely terrible. There are honestly much better choices if you're looking for strategy games on the iPhone.

Haha shit, I already bought it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it

And god, Angry Birds is totally ruined by how fucking frusterating some of the levels are. You have to be so incredibly precise on some levels with all of your birds if you want any chance of beating it, it's just insane. I'm stuck on level 3-6. Awesome concept and awesome execution, but absolutely horribly unbalanced difficulty

mrkgoo

EzLink said:
Haha shit, I already bought it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it

And god, Angry Birds is totally ruined by how fucking frusterating some of the levels are. You have to be so incredibly precise on some levels with all of your birds if you want any chance of beating it, it's just insane. I'm stuck on level 3-6. Awesome concept and awesome execution, but absolutely horribly unbalanced difficulty

It's really not that difficult if I can do it. I frustrate easily.

Tobor

Peronthious said:
/shrugs

It was only a buck.

Jonnyram said:

In brief:

Wow, that sounds like a horrible mess. Thanks for making my decision easier Namco!

I'm not sure if this is old news but Space Miner is £1.19 at the moment (60% off). Just bought it on the strength of GAF opinion, it had better be good :p

oracrest

mr_sockochris said:
I'm not sure if this is old news but Space Miner is £1.19 at the moment (60% off). Just bought it on the strength of GAF opinion, it had better be good :p

I enjoyed it, put about 4-5 hours into it. It's by the makers of Ninja Town DS.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Devil Invasion is seriously up there with Space Miner. It almost deserves it's own thread.

It's going to destroy my work day.

It also contains one of the most epic lines in the history of gaming:

EAT HOT TASTE

mrkgoo said:
Really?

I've got one level left, and maybe half a dozen actually posed a real problem. I would actually like some dlc levels.

Really. I'm the first to admit that puzzle games take me slightly longer than they might for some, but I find it infuriating. I want to love it. I might try again tonight, see if I can get past where I was stuck. Fresh eyes etc.

Incidentally, I really dislike Space Miner. I'm sorry, but what you all see in it I will never know. It's irritating to control, there's far too much writing, and I really dislike the aesthetics. Back to Uniwar and PvZ for me...

EzLink said:
I really disagree with you here. I honestly don't think I got stuck on any one level for more than 15 minutes total.

Also Space Miner is definitely worth 2 or 3 bucks. I kind of hope they change a few gameplay mechanics in the sequel though.

mrkgoo

whatevermort said:
Really. I'm the first to admit that puzzle games take me slightly longer than they might for some, but I find it infuriating. I want to love it. I might try again tonight, see if I can get past where I was stuck. Fresh eyes etc.

Incidentally, I really dislike Space Miner. I'm sorry, but what you all see in it I will never know. It's irritating to control, there's far too much writing, and I really dislike the aesthetics. Back to Uniwar and PvZ for me...

Interesting.

How long did you play it for?

It's one of those games where you might get thrown by the physics initially, but then learn to love the charm of it.

Also, what controls are you using? HAving it on autofire is pretty sweet, so you just control thrusting. I like it when all I need to do is control thrusting. Thrusting.

As for ColorBind, do you guys approach it with logic or just randomly trace paths until you see something? I approach these puzzles by eliminating where it can't go combined with where it MUST go. For example, try and deduce a likely end point, and by that basis some of the other points means it HAS to go in a certain way. I wish there were markers kind of like Minesweeper where you can flag points and directions.

Anyway, I only have level 82 to go. 78 is a real doozy and consists of one long chain with no symmetry. It has even got it's own achievement that you can get for remembering how you did it and doing it a second time!

EzLink

Banned
Mike Works said:
I really disagree with you here. I honestly don't think I got stuck on any one level for more than 15 minutes total.

Also Space Miner is definitely worth 2 or 3 bucks. I kind of hope they change a few gameplay mechanics in the sequel though.

I played 3-6 for like 30 minutes earlier today. I got close a couple times but damn, I just can't seem to get it! Maybe I'll look up a guide or something (even though I think I know how to do it, it's just getting all three birds exactly lined up correctly which is the hard part :/)

Seriously though, apart from the frusterating levels I get stuck on it's awesome

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Have a question for those who have Plants vs Zombies on the iPhone... how do you unlock the 10th slot? I see it as an object in the car, but it says "Sold Out."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom