• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachack

Minsc said:
Is Civilization Revolutions any good? Seems to have a lot of 5 star ratings...

What's the best 4X game for the iPhone? Or maybe just some good ones will do.
It's really good for a portable version. It was buggy as hell at first but they've patched it up. Eats the battery, though.

And the answer is CivRev. I don't think there are many, or even a few, 4X games at all.

WanderingWind said:
http://www.appspy.com

This place answered a lot of my questions regarding which games are worth a look. It's kind of messy, but I find it useful.

Beside Dungeon Hunter, are there any Diablo/Torchlight games I should look into?
Solomons keep is a really good game, but it's more like minigore than diablo, but it's really cool

I didn't see it mentioned, but The Red Star is on the App Store since early july somewhere. PocketGamer didn't seem to like it too much though.

Anyone picked it up yet? What's your opinion on it?

edit: oh, I picked up Dominion not too long ago. It's a Risk-like turn-based game with the multiplayer apparently set up the same way as in Carcassonne (take your turn whenever, where ever, notifications, multiple games at once). I haven't really looked in to it too much, but the ''reviews on the App Store'' seem to be mostly positive. Because of Carcassonne (and to a lesser extent Phoenix Wright and iBooks) I didn't really have time to play it yet.

Will report back in a few days.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Minsc said:
Here are the stand outs as I see them:

Plants vs Zombies - Even without the MJ zombie, it still is amazing, and extremely fun.

Defender Chronicles - SOOOOO much content. There's like 200 hours of gameplay here if you enjoy grinding the high-level RPG content out, and a good 20 even if you don't. Visually gorgeous fantasy themed with tons of units at once (probably most of any TD game ever). Good sound/music as well.

GeoDefense (& swarm) - Very pretty, prefer the original because of the more unique gameplay than swarm, but TD has never looked so nice in space.

Elemental Monster TD - Mixes a lite-CCG aspect in to the game, another huge looking game.

Towers in Space - Another huge amount of content here, extremely awful VA aside, you have a very component TD game here, with 50+ types of creeps, and for the price I picked it up for (free), it's way surpassed my expectations.

Crystal Defenders - Squaresoft Final Fantasy TD, guess if you're a fan of FF, seeing the little enemies running by your screen may hold enough charm to push this up in to the consider category. Expensive though :(

Other not-so-worthy but still mentionable titles: 7 Cities (boat TD), Garden War (garden TD), Fieldrunners (original iPhone TD hit), Creeps (nightmares attacking your bed TD).

How can you not mention Tower Madness? That game is fantastic. It's a great TD game to get into after you beat PvZ.

Ninja Dom

Latest word from Cave!!!

"Right now our team is entering the final stages of development for Dodonpachi Resurrection! *pant pant* Game's looking beautiful!"

Straight from their Twitter account.

And if you haven't already done so, BUY ESPGALUDA II NOW!!!

You've never seen or played a slicker game on your iPhone.

Minsc

Gold Member
Eggo said:
How can you not mention Tower Madness? That game is fantastic. It's a great TD game to get into after you beat PvZ.

I just got in to iPhone gaming a month ago, there's a lot of ground to cover for someone catching up (up to about 40 games already)!

That one does look like a glaring omission! The screen shot with the sheep has me intrigued. I'll give it a shot thanks :)

Ninja Dom said:
And if you haven't already done so, BUY ESPGALUDA II NOW!!!

You've never seen or played a slicker game on your iPhone.

I bought it. It's nice, played the first two or three levels, pretty disappointed in a lack of a store / overworld map to be honest. Hopefully their next title has more of a Raptor / Tyrian structure or some sort of idea of how many levels are ahead of you.

I think based on the youtube videos I've seen, settlers may give it a run for the money as far as graphics go, that's another beautiful looking game, but I have no interesting in real-time strategy that isn't tower defense on a phone.

Bigfoot

Eggo said:
I would also put The Creeps in the worthy TD category. It has some neat variations like destroying terrain and the special tilt power towers. Also a neat game mode where you must build up to the door and destroy it.

Aaron

Eggo said:
The best tower defense game I've played is Last Front, which for some reason no one mentions, but I find it a lot more fun than all of the other games people have said.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, it's nigh on impossible.
I tried with my 3G, first by putting it into recovery mode. When trying to upload the old firmware it failed 5 times in a row. Then I gave up.

I managed to downgrade my wife's 3G after iOS4 rendered it nearly useless. I just put it into recovery mode, downloaded an older rev iOS, and used the shift button to select the file to restore. For kicks, I then installed iOS4 again on her phone --- it's worked fine ever since. *shrug*

LCfiner

anachronous_one said:
I managed to downgrade my wife's 3G after iOS4 rendered it nearly useless. I just put it into recovery mode, downloaded an older rev iOS, and used the shift button to select the file to restore. For kicks, I then installed iOS4 again on her phone --- it's worked fine ever since. *shrug*

I have heard on twitter that some folks have had success entering DFU mode and reinstalling iOS4 on their 2nd gen touches/ iPhone 3G.

I have a coworker who updated his 2nd gen touch with zero problems at all (no DFU mode shenanigans). runs just as smooth as with 3.x. then i see youtube videos of the keyboard stalling out for more than 5 seconds when loading up. crazy.

it's weird. not EVERYONE is having speed problems with iOS4, but when someone does have the problems, they can be pretty severe.

Highborn is free for today and today only! Get it while it's hot!

It's a strategy game by the creators of the older Command & Conquer games.

Aaron

FoxhoundNL said:
Highborn is free for today and today only! Get it while it's hot!

It's a strategy game by the creators of the older Command & Conquer games.
Didn't like it at all. Controls aren't well thought out for an iphone game. Wesnoth is much better.

Minsc

Gold Member
Aaron said:
Didn't like it at all. Controls aren't well thought out for an iphone game. Wesnoth is much better.

Wesnoth seems quite different. I played the PC version (which is free, weird they charge for the iPhone one), and I didn't like it, I mean why play Wesnoth when you have the vastly superior Disciples II / HoMM II / III / V games or perhaps more closely resembling the Civ games, other then it being free?

As for the iPhone, I'm definitely checking this one out while it's free, controls can always be adjusted in future releases, and from the trailer this game seems to have a lot more personality than Wesnoth did.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zombie Shock is also free today, don't miss it. Interesting action game with lots of weapon upgrades, reviewed nicely, and pretty well polished from the trailer i watched.

Minsc said:
Wesnoth seems quite different. I played the PC version (which is free, weird they charge for the iPhone one), and I didn't like it, I mean why play Wesnoth when you have the vastly superior Disciples II / HoMM II / III / V games or perhaps more closely resembling the Civ games, other then it being free?
Bolded your answer.

Minsc

Gold Member
cooljeanius said:
Bolded your answer.

Well I tried Highborn and hated it :lol

So I concede however Wesnoth is on the iPhone it will be better than Highborn. I did enjoy the game enough to finish a few levels when I played it a while ago, but not enough to save it or go back to it.

DoubleTap

bought War of Eustrath - fire emblem meets super robot taisen for 3 bucks. can't go wrong. only wish the battle animations were a bit "flashier", still love it.

Anno said:
Tilt to Live update is out. Not sure about the new mode but the new weapon definitely looks awesome. I wish there were more games that felt this "iPhony".
Sweet, I had been wondering what Frostbite was, as it had a section on the leaderboard before the mode was actually included in the game.

Edit: Don't really like the new weapon. The icon makes it look too much like the nuke, and I often die right at the end of the flight, as the invincibility ends sooner than I'd think it would.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Asphalt 5 looks pretty nice on the Retina. Kinda sucks that Gameloft don't bother updating their HUDs, though. :(

I really want them to update GT Racing with Retina support, and pulling out the view distance by about 5x.

4846003045_c7c2d2f5bb_b.jpg

4846003821_d0c59c6808_b.jpg

4846622632_fd301c4457_b.jpg

BeeDog

A little bit off-topic, but I hope someone in this topic can help me;

I'm reinstalling my OS tomorrow, and I wanna make a back-up of my iPod apps/games (the files on my HDD). What's the correct way to do this so I can update them without any (license) problems after the OS reinstall?

Should I just copy the files from:

C:\Users\XXX\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications

to a backup folder, then copy them back after the OS reinstall, or is there another way to do it?

Anything else I should think of before starting the reinstall?

Mafro

BeeDog said:
A little bit off-topic, but I hope someone in this topic can help me;

I'm reinstalling my OS tomorrow, and I wanna make a back-up of my iPod apps/games (the files on my HDD). What's the correct way to do this so I can update them without any (license) problems after the OS reinstall?

Should I just copy the files from:

C:\Users\XXX\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications

to a backup folder, then copy them back after the OS reinstall, or is there another way to do it?

Anything else I should think of before starting the reinstall?
Just copy them over and back. When I did a clean install of Win 7 I just copied my entire iTunes folder, then copied all the contents over to the new one created when I reinstalled iTunes. I had to reauthorise the PC, but the apps and everything were fine.

mjc

I've been out of the App scene for most of this last spring/summer. Was there anything I missed that's must play?

gotee12

I'm gonna echo everyone else and say that Carcassonne is an awesome app. I'm a little leery of $5 apps (I'm cheap) but this one is definitely worth it. And Internet play via badge updates is awesome. Definitely worth checking out if you like strategical board games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gotee12 said:
I'm gonna echo everyone else and say that Carcassonne is an awesome app. I'm a little leery of $5 apps (I'm cheap) but this one is definitely worth it. And Internet play via badge updates is awesome. Definitely worth checking out if you like strategical board games.
I dare say that this is now by far the most popular multiplayer iPhone game on GAF. Have about 15 gaffers actively playing several games a day. I'm sure they're focused on the iPad version right now, but I really hope they come out with some of the Carc expansions, which are so very good.

gotee12

AstroLad said:
I dare say that this is now by far the most popular multiplayer iPhone game on GAF. Have about 15 gaffers actively playing several games a day. I'm sure they're focused on the iPad version right now, but I really hope they come out with some of the Carc expansions, which are so very good.
Much to my embarrassment, I've had Carcassonne and the Rivers expansion on my 360 for years now. I never bought it, got it free somehow and can't remember how that happened now. Anyway, after seeing so many iOS gaffers rave about it, I gave it a whirl on the 360 which led to my iPhone purchase. I liked the multiplayer aspect of the iPhone version with badge updates and the fact that I can play anywhere, not just at home. I've enjoyed it so much over the past few days that I've showed it to the wife and now she's hooked too! Looks like I get the iPhone and she gets the 360 when it comes to getting a hit of Carc-crack...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gotee12 said:
Much to my embarrassment, I've had Carcassonne and the Rivers expansion on my 360 for years now. I never bought it, got it free somehow and can't remember how that happened now. Anyway, after seeing so many iOS gaffers rave about it, I gave it a whirl on the 360 which led to my iPhone purchase. I liked the multiplayer aspect of the iPhone version with badge updates and the fact that I can play anywhere, not just at home. I've enjoyed it so much over the past few days that I've showed it to the wife and now she's hooked too! Looks like I get the iPhone and she gets the 360 when it comes to getting a hit of Carc-crack...
Just play hotseat multiplayer on iPhone!

Reese-015

cjelly said:
Relaxing? Have you played the game?

The camera flatout sucks, and removes any relaxation and replaces it with frustration.

Played about 7 levels thus far, loved it, was very intuitive and smooth for me. Depends on your playstyle I think, I didn't really move the camera once, it just works in its default position for me.

Reese-015

Man, I wish Castle of Magic would run smoothly... Framerate really isn't great, and I'm on a 3GS. You guys have this too? (how is it on an iPhone4 btw?)

Vyer

Looks like iPhone Fruit Ninja has an update. Doesn't seem to be a full retina support update, though? Some objects definitely look at the higher resolution, but not everything. (including the icon unfortunately)

hyp

Vyer said:
Looks like iPhone Fruit Ninja has an update. Doesn't seem to be a full retina support update, though? Some objects definitely look at the higher resolution, but not everything. (including the icon unfortunately)

nope, no retina upgrade yet. sucks.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
hyp said:
nope, no retina upgrade yet. sucks.

iPhone 4 only just came out in NZ and Australia on Friday, and getting one before then has been difficult and expensive.

I imagine Halfbrick like ourselves have been reluctant to release a retina update without testing on an actual device, and now the devices are more readily available I don't think such an update will be too far away.

Vyer said:

I'm annoyed that developers aren't updating their icons for the higher res. When an app is updating on the iPhone and has the blue bar, while it's updating you can see it's using the iTunes high res app icon, but when it finishes, it goes back to the low res icon. Even if an app isn't being updated for Retina, at least the icon should be updated. Doesn't take any effort yet it's being completely ignored. Annoys the hell out of me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
mjc said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned but The War of Eustrath is out now for iPhones---$2.99.
Bought this on a whim. Seems more like SRW so far than FE, but it's fairly solid. Nice graphics, awful animations, TERRIBLE localization. As is usually the case with these App Store jobbers, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom