• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shock33

I found it interesting on toucharcade where the developer of the pretty damn good World Soccer Champ 2010 said that they've sold only 300 copies.

I find that astonishing given the tat that seems to sell well on the app store.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
shock33 said:
I found it interesting on toucharcade where the developer of the pretty damn good World Soccer Champ 2010 said that they've sold only 300 copies.

World Cup Italia 1990 on the Mega Drive wasn't a good game in 1990.

Minsc

Gold Member
shock33 said:

Well the best selling game ever is the Angry Birds one iirc, and that only just broke 1 million sales, and it was only a $1 game.

I'm guessing exceptionally good sales means over 50,000, average sales are probably closer to 5,000. I'd be surprised if that Saga game that was on the PSP ever tops 5,000 tbh, probably stick closer to 1,000.

shock33

Minsc said:
Well the best selling game ever is the Angry Birds one iirc, and that only just broke 1 million sales, and it was only a $1 game.

I'm guessing exceptionally good sales means over 50,000, average sales are probably closer to 5,000. I'd be surprised if that Saga game that was on the PSP ever tops 5,000 tbh, probably stick closer to 1,000.

I realise it included sales on other platforms, but didn't doodlejump do 5 million or something?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Doodle Jump

- hit 2 million sales in January 2010.
- hit 3 million sales in March 2010.
- hit 4 million sales in April 2010.
- hit 5 million sales in June 2010.

Minsc

Gold Member
cjelly said:
Doodle Jump

- hit 2 million sales in January 2010.
- hit 3 million sales in March 2010.
- hit 4 million sales in April 2010.
- hit 5 million sales in June 2010.

Well, then the situation is certainly not nearly as doom and gloom as I thought :lol

I went back and checked for the story on Angry Birds again, but I found this instead, which states it actually sold 5 million in 6 months as well, I swore I thought there was a story about Angry Birds being the best with 1 million, but I was wrong.

LCfiner

Minsc said:
Well, then the situation is certainly not nearly as doom and gloom as I thought :lol

I went back and checked for the story on Angry Birds again, but I found this instead, which states it actually sold 5 million in 6 months as well, I swore I thought there was a story about Angry Birds being the best with 1 million, but I was wrong.

possibly fastest to one mill?

NIGHT- said:
What are some good racing games to play on the Iphone 4. Are the Crash games good?

I've heard good things about the iPhone 4 Real Racing update. I like the game well enough on the 3GS.

I've also seen screenshots of Jet Car stunts (lite version available) on the retina screen and it's beautiful. think mirror's edge DLC.

it's looks "just OK" on the older screen, with plenty of aliasing around. it is fun to play, no matter the system. real crazy, stunt course stuff.

Reese-015

LCfiner said:
I've also seen screenshots of Jet Car stunts (lite version available) on the retina screen and it's beautiful. think mirror's edge DLC.

it's looks "just OK" on the older screen, with plenty of aliasing around. it is fun to play, no matter the system. real crazy, stunt course stuff.

It got anti-aliasing also on the 3GS, looks goooorgeous!

Also, my personal favorite racing games:
Need For Speed: Shift (for being so close to a really good full-featured console-like NFS)
SpeedForge (for coming somewhat close to a high-quality stylish Wipeout clone)
2XL Rally (for being really gorgeous and immersive, even though it's way too easy)

And now entering the list Asphalt 5 (one of the top racing games in the app store, usually expensive but currently on sale for $0.99!)

Asphalt 5 and 2XL Rally have retina updates I think, SpeedForge doesn't and I'm not sure about NFS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can tell you that it looks a whole lot better on an iPhone4 than it does in screens. The high DPI of the screen really creates a perfect, cohesive image. If they could just achieve 60 fps...

Rlan

Minsc said:

I believe it was fastest to 1 million, maybe? Halfbrick's Fruit Ninja hit a million on July 5th, which it did in a little over 2 months. It's currently sailing very well, STILL the 4th top selling app in the US :D

But yeah, there are an awful lot of games out there that I love (Pix'n Love Rush, Poker Smash) that haven't done nearly as well as they should. It's all in the marketing, honestly.

Aaron

Rlan said:
I believe it was fastest to 1 million, maybe? Halfbrick's Fruit Ninja hit a million on July 5th, which it did in a little over 2 months. It's currently sailing very well, STILL the 4th top selling app in the US :D

But yeah, there are an awful lot of games out there that I love (Pix'n Love Rush, Poker Smash) that haven't done nearly as well as they should. It's all in the marketing, honestly.
It's all about breaking the surface tension to hit the top of the lists where the casual buyers will feed on them, thus keeping them near the top. A low price point also seems to help with this.

Benedict

The NSFW (W=work/wife) game Truckers Delight: Episode 1 is currently free.

mzl.pspbduyv.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ggrbseoa.320x480-75.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Shaneus said:
Any news on EPICWIN coming out soon? Seems like a while since it's been mentioned here...
Last we knew it was submitted. That means it could be out today.
or in, like, 5 weeks

japtor

roosters93 said:
This game is pretty fun, but I don't understand what pulling the horn does. :s
...activates the horn. I don't think it's anything functional to the gameplay, just a fun addition

japtor said:
...activates the horn. I don't think it's anything functional to the gameplay, just a fun addition
When you're on a stretch of highway with a slow lane (2 lanes in your direction), you can pull the horn and any cars in front of you will move to the next lane so you don't have to swerve out of the way or crash into them. But if a car is blocking that part of the extra lane, the one in your way won't move. You can see the yellow car to the left that got out of my way, but I kind of drifted off the pavement trying to get a screenshot while still pulling the horn. :lol

14d2iyf.png

Benedict said:
Dark Nebula 2 has just been released for $0.99.
Loved the first game, this is supposed to be twice as long.
goldenticket said:
might have been posted already i havent been playing attention to this thread lately
but dark nebula 2 is out. am a big fan of 1. ive downloaded 2 but havent tried it yet

116167_4.jpg
Woot! I discovered the first one when it went free for a while and always wished I had paid for it. I bought and love the crap out of Episode 2!

Baconbitz

Banned
So there is a beta for a puzzle game from Com2us called slice it. It looks sorta like a fruit ninja clone. Anyways if your interested here is the link.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
goldenticket said:
might have been posted already i havent been playing attention to this thread lately
but dark nebula 2 is out. am a big fan of 1. ive downloaded 2 but havent tried it yet

116167_4.jpg

touch arcade review
Yeah, Dark Nebula is really damn good.

Just a shame they didn't aim for 60 fps. It's a 2D scrolling game, it should run smoother than it does. Still, even with that issue, it's great fun.

Psy-Phi

Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP is a decent RPG, no frills or anything especially unique or outstanding, just your basic turn based JRPG. I didn't finish it, but I enjoyed the time I spent with it. It's a solid JRPG, and given the lack of JRPG's on the iPhone, it's going to be one of the better ones surely.

I'd say it's worth $10, but you may want to wait for a slight sale before grabbing it, because it will inevitably have one. Who knows how long it will take though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Leap Sheep is free for today, mentioning it because it is pretty amusing for a short burst of brainless gaming. It's basically a tap game with achievements and cute sheep that you have to hit to make jump over fences. Normally only $1, but still, I guess free can't really be beat!

Lijik

Steam Pirates is currently free. Its a fairly fun RPG with a neat platformer-esque overworld. Game can be pretty brutal though since it has savepoints and they tend to be far apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom