• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp

i use appshopper.com. you can just sort by categories and add apps to a wishlist for later examination.

hyp

no problem. they really need to develop an app though. i used to use app sniper and pandora box but the lack of updates and performance issues ruined it for me.

Acheteedo

Does anyone have any good suggestions for turn based games? Examples of what I mean are like Drop7, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Monkey Island, basically, games where you're not in trouble if you're distracted for a second, so a game like Tetris or a shooter isn't an option.

I want more puzzle games but the majority are time based, so my searches are largely fruitless. Also I love point and click games but Monkey Island, with it's old school difficulty, is impossible unless you played it as a kid or constantly consult a guide. Phoenix Wright is the perfect balance of difficulty for this genre, imo, but at the moment it appears we're slim on options.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Acheteedo said:
Does anyone have any good suggestions for turn based games? Examples of what I mean are like Drop7, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Monkey Island, basically, games where you're not in trouble if you're distracted for a second, so a game like Tetris or a shooter isn't an option.

I want more puzzle games but the majority are time based, so my searches are largely fruitless. Also I love point and click games but Monkey Island, with it's old school difficulty, is impossible unless you played it as a kid or constantly consult a guide. Phoenix Wright is the perfect balance of difficulty for this genre, imo, but at the moment it appears we're slim on options.
carcassonne

Acheteedo said:

Blockoban, Blocks Mania and PathPix are a few of the best puzzle games available, and none are timed or owt.

Also, bear with me, how about a racing game? Vector Rally is a turn based racing game where you plot your racing line on a grid, and you have to judge your speed/direction correctly to stay on the road. No actual time pressure so you can take as long as you want to move, your score at the end is based on how good your line round the course was and how many moves it took.

EmSeta

Acheteedo said:

Broken Sword.

Benedict

mikespit1200 said:
FYI if it hasn't bveen mentioned yet, Civ Rev is free today.

Please open your eyes next time:
you have SEVEN posts about it just 8 posts up from yours.

Today 01:56 AM
Anno Civilization Revolution is also free for a "short time". Anyone previously even slightly on the fence should get it.

Today 02:00 AM
Dacvak
Originally Posted by Anno:
Civilization Revolution is also free for a "short time". Anyone previously even slightly on the fence should get it.
SO good. Get it NOW.

Today 02:01 AM
WanderingWind
Originally Posted by Dacvak:
SO good. Get it NOW.

No. I want to be able to sleep at some point.

Today 02:45 AM

Struct09 Wow @ Civ Rev being free. Yoink!

Today 02:47 AM
ZZMitch
Civilization Revolution is also free for a "short time". Anyone previously even slightly on the fence should get it.

Awesome, already have it, but awesome.

Today 02:57 AM
xbhaskarx
This practically deserves its own thread. I already have it but I'm texting people I know with iPhones to download it.

Today 03:06 AM
animlboogy Did multiplayer ever get added for Civ Rev?

Acheteedo

AstroLad said:
carcassonne

Does it have tutorials? I've been considering picking this up for some time, but I gather the game rules are quite complex.

toythatkills said:
Blockoban, Blocks Mania and PathPix are a few of the best puzzle games available, and none are timed or owt.

Also, bear with me, how about a racing game? Vector Rally is a turn based racing game where you plot your racing line on a grid, and you have to judge your speed/direction correctly to stay on the road. No actual time pressure so you can take as long as you want to move, your score at the end is based on how good your line round the course was and how many moves it took.

Which of those three puzzle games is your favourite? Sounds like what I've been looking for.

That Vector Rally thing sounds mad, got to at least check it out.

EmSeta said:
Broken Sword.

Totally forgot this was on the App store, thanks!

Zeliard

Benedict said:
Please open your eyes next time:
you have SEVEN posts about it just 8 posts up from yours.

He posted it on the new page, though, which means there are likely tons of people clicking on the last page of this thread who are now seeing that announcement for the first time (I personally d/l'd it yesterday).

Ergo, chill, yo. :p

Benedict

Zeliard said:
He posted it on the new page, though, which means there are likely tons of people clicking on the last page of this thread who are now seeing that announcement for the first time (I personally d/l'd it yesterday).

Ergo, chill, yo. :p

For me it's all on the same page (show 100 posts per page).

Moatman

Tunnel Shoot is free today(thanks toucharcade.)

It's a universal game, seems fun from the few minutes I put into it and very good reviews.

Echoes

Benedict said:
For me it's all on the same page (show 100 posts per page).
Most users (and all guests) have it 50 posts per page, and you know it, so stop being a motherfucking ass about it.

For people who missed it: Civilization Revolution is free.

Apparently I'm blind!

Fucking elitists.

Been a while since I posted in here, I have my waves of playing lots of iphone games and then not using it for a month.

Aqua Moto 2 is awesome, I loved the first game and was one of the people who said to the team that waves would make it so much better, they did a brilliant job with it and it reminds me a fair bit of wave race 64 in the way the waves work.

Benedict

Echoes said:
Most users (and all guests) have it 50 posts per page, and you know it, so stop being a motherfucking ass about it.

For people who missed it: Civilization Revolution is free.

Apparently I'm blind!

Fucking elitists.

I was just explaining.
I'm not the only one who needs to chill down it seems...
At least I can keep my language clean.

Baconbitz

Banned
Yenrot said:
Hey guys! Did you hear? Civilisation Revolution is free today.
No, I did not hear that civilization Revolution was free today. Man, thats pretty big that Civilization Revolution is free today. Thats a revolution.

RedStep

I have it on good authority that Civilization Revolution can be obtained for free, today, on the App Store. Please don't ask me to reveal my sources.

Also, I propose a moratorium on posting until EpicWin is released. The bumps are getting my hopes up, and my heart can't take all this disappointment.

gillty

Banned
2la6mn6.jpg

Crisis

Banned
Professor%20Farnsworth.jpg

Good news, everyone! I have invented a device that makes Civilization Revolution free for one day! And that day is today!

Tf53

EpicWin is
not yet
up!

I also believe that one can come into possession of a game called Civilization Revolution without the need for monetary compensation during a period which some would refer to as "the present time".

In other news, I'm never going to 3-star Angry Birds level 2-2. :( I've watched three separate vids, but just can't pull it off. It's like my blue birds are all duds.

Anno

Tf53 said:
EpicWin is
not yet
up!

I also believe that one can come into possession of a game called Civilization Revolution without the need for monetary compensation during a period which some would refer to as "the present time".

In other news, I'm never going to 3-star Angry Birds level 2-2. :( I've watched three separate vids, but just can't pull it off. It's like my blue birds are all duds.

What strategy are you taking with the level? I launch my first blue bird just high enough so that I can split it directly before the first tower and have only the bottom bird hit it. That'll collapse the tower and take out those pigs. The other two birds tend to fly towards the other set of three and kill 1 or 2 of them. The next blue bird should be detonated just before it runs into the two bigger pigs in the middle. It'll kill them and should have enough momentum to knock over the ending block if it's not down already. Several times I've killed all but one pig with just the first bird. If you can take them all out in two shots you should have a good chance at getting the three stars.

gotee12

Acheteedo said:
Carc tutorial question...
Yes the iPhone version has a tutorial and it's much better IMHO than the Xbox360 one. The rules to play Carc are pretty easy to understand, but it's definitley one of those games where the strategy involved will take years to master. Multi is great and the AI in solo is really solid as well. I learn a TON from playing against the "strong" AI on solo and watching him hand my butt to me...

Acheteedo said:
Which of those three puzzle games is your favourite? Sounds like what I've been looking for.

That Vector Rally thing sounds mad, got to at least check it out.
I am having a ridiculously hard time seperating Blockoban and Blocks Mania for my favourite iPhone puzzle game. Probably go with Blockoban because it has more levels, over 2,000 of them!

Tf53

Anno said:
What strategy are you taking with the level? I launch my first blue bird just high enough so that I can split it directly before the first tower and have only the bottom bird hit it. That'll collapse the tower and take out those pigs. The other two birds tend to fly towards the other set of three and kill 1 or 2 of them. The next blue bird should be detonated just before it runs into the two bigger pigs in the middle. It'll kill them and should have enough momentum to knock over the ending block if it's not down already. Several times I've killed all but one pig with just the first bird. If you can take them all out in two shots you should have a good chance at getting the three stars.
Are we talking about the same level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBFU_gd86H4

Acheteedo

gotee12 said:
Yes the iPhone version has a tutorial and it's much better IMHO than the Xbox360 one. The rules to play Carc are pretty easy to understand, but it's definitley one of those games where the strategy involved will take years to master. Multi is great and the AI in solo is really solid as well. I learn a TON from playing against the "strong" AI on solo and watching him hand my butt to me...

toythatkills said:
I am having a ridiculously hard time seperating Blockoban and Blocks Mania for my favourite iPhone puzzle game. Probably go with Blockoban because it has more levels, over 2,000 of them!

Awesome, this thread has been fruitful for me :D

Oh and I was just reminded of Tumbledrop, the NeoGAF member developed game that meets my turn based needs. It's brilliant, highly recommended.

Also I've heard that Civ Rev is double the price today, pro tip.

Danneee

Is it possible to set warriors to auto explore in Civ Rev? Seems like a lot of functions are cut out to make it work in Iphone/pod :/

Flunkie

Banned
Ever since iOS4, the battery life on my iPod Touch 2G has been abysmal. I played Drop7 last night before bed, and had an 80% charge when I put it into sleep mode. I wake up this morning, and the battery is gonzo.

19Kilo

I gotta say, that latest Helsing's Fire update is awesome. Framerates at least doubled on my 1g iphone. Soooo smooth and responsive now. Time to play through it again on hard.

Whats the best looking game(s) out right now for iphone 4? Is there any word when Terminator salvation will get updated with retina support? Any interesting games getting released soon?

RPS37

Lovely Salsa said:
Whats the best looking game(s) out right now for iphone 4? Is there any word when Terminator salvation will get updated with retina support? Any interesting games getting released soon?

Jet Car Stunts?

Baconbitz

Banned
Are there any good games that aren't puzzlers or shooters that I can play for more then a few minutes that have a deep story? Most of the games I find usually don't have a story and usually can only play them for a few minutes before doing something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom