• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree now... the basis is definitely solid, but it's lacking even some of the most basic (yet seemingly) obvious things like push alerts/alarms/reminders.

xbhaskarx

Minsc said:
Thanks for the info. Love TD games <3.

Another new entry to check out a little cheaper $1, is Save Sylva, it's actually visually close to PJ Monters, and is supposedly VERY HARD, which makes it fun. Played the first two worlds on easy, and well they were easy, but the review said it's impossibly hard on higher settings.

The unique thing about this one is it is more laid back and has a TON of upgrades. There's only 4 tower types, so that's nice, but there's 18 upgrades for each tower, so you have a lot of choice over how to create your towers. Waves are entirely separate so far, and don't start the next one until they are cleared, and it is very easy just to upgrade between waves, so it's not too hectic.

Very fun and worth checking out imo.

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said it looked like PixelJunk Monsers :lol
I love TD games, so I bought it on your recommendation.
Did you try Guns'n'Glory?

Fusebox

Banned
If EpicWin can tie into my todo online or something it will be amazing, at this stage I can't imagine using it too heavily.

In other news Monster Dash just hit the Aus store, should be in the US soon. 99c!!

Dacvak said:
Epic Win isn't in the US store yet. At least not for me.

In other news, I formally challenge ALL OF GAF to try and beat my Solipskier score of 256,000,000. Currently number 16 on the leaderboards.

Holy crap, I thought my score of 20,000,000 was good... :lol

edit - Monster Dash seems terrific so-far. It scales brilliantly on the iPad, and the gameplay is Canabalt with guns. Seems like this will be my new favourite "go sideways" game.

Jonnyram

EpicWin is a little more interesting than a regular todo app, in that I feel more obliged to enter just random shit that I really wouldn't put in a regular todo app. Stuff like taking out the rubbish on various days of the week, sending emails to people, etc. It might end up getting me more organised in the end.

There are a couple of tweaks they could do with on the repeating selector though - definitely need lots more choices. It might be best to do a completely new screen for it...

For instance, I need:
Every 1st/3rd Monday of the month.
Every 2nd/4th Monday of the month.
Tuesday and Friday every week.
etc.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Jonnyram said:
EpicWin is a little more interesting than a regular todo app, in that I feel more obliged to enter just random shit that I really wouldn't put in a regular todo app. Stuff like taking out the rubbish on various days of the week, sending emails to people, etc. It might end up getting me more organised in the end.

There are a couple of tweaks they could do with on the repeating selector though - definitely need lots more choices. It might be best to do a completely new screen for it...

For instance, I need:
Every 1st/3rd Monday of the month.
Every 2nd/4th Monday of the month.
Tuesday and Friday every week.
etc.
Weekdays, weekends.

xbhaskarx

Fusebox said:
If EpicWin can tie into my todo online or something it will be amazing, at this stage I can't imagine using it too heavily.

In other news Monster Dash just hit the Aus store, should be in the US soon. 99c!!

It's in the US store now.
Just picked up both EpicWin and Monster Dash...

yophlow

Banned
Hey guys, I'm super excited to announce our new game here (many of you have already picked up that it's out). After Fruit Ninja we wanted to do something a little bit more game-y, and added our spin of innovation on an established genre to come up with Monster Dash. It's a playground for our creativity and super easy to update with new level, weapons, monsters and more!

CREATORS OF FRUIT NINJA RELEASE MONSTER DASH TO THE APP STORE

August 19th, 2010 – Continuing from the ongoing success of their worldwide hit iPhone game Fruit Ninja, Halfbrick today is happy to release the next game in their exciting lineup – Monster Dash!

Monster Dash stars Barry Steakfries, the lovable yet badass hero who loves nothing more than running and shooting monsters. Players control the action with just two buttons – jump and shoot. Steakfries runs through multiple worlds fighting demons, vampires, mummies and more, with the player deftly leaping over chasms and moving down enemies with reckless abandon. Lock and load with the pump-action shotgun, earth-shattering Pacifier, electro-charged Mr. Zappy and the ultimate in death from above – the Machine Gun Jetpack!

High scores will be posted to global leaderboards, and Monster Dash will continuously reward the player with a massive array of combat statistics and gameplay awards - not to mention the awesome one-liners from Steakfries himself!

Monster Dash is available worldwide on the App Store right now for just US$0.99.

Do the Dash. Do the Monster Dash.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/monster-dash/id370070561?mt=8

Website (including trailer): http://www.monsterdashgame.com

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
Just picked up both EpicWin and Monster Dash...

EpicWin is okay I guess, I wasn't too impressed but maybe I didn't give it enough to a chance.
Monster Dash is great, and a steal at .99. Go buy it now!

Reese-015

Loving EpicWin, I consider myself quite productive but this will sooooo have an impact. Thing is, it 'punishes' you if you don't do stuff cause you'll have to face it being 'overdue' and not get the xp!! :D

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'd like to get ahold of the EpicWin devs and give them a short list of suggestions. It's a genius idea, but if they don't have proper implementations, then I'm going make a copycat app that's even better.

It'd be nice if you could track the stats of other players. Not specifically seeing what they've been doing, but being able to compare how active you are versus another player. Of course people can cheat...

But basically, they need to take all of the pod aspects of Todo and combine it with an RPG.

Edit: Also, what the fuck? Why are there no sound effects?

Burger

HalfbrickPhil said:
Hey guys, I'm super excited to announce our new game here (many of you have already picked up that it's out). After Fruit Ninja we wanted to do something a little bit more game-y, and added our spin of innovation on an established genre to come up with Monster Dash. It's a playground for our creativity and super easy to update with new level, weapons, monsters and more!

Not really related to your game, but in your trailer, that definitely looked like Weetbix the dude was munching on at the start... right ?

Are you guys antipodean by any chance ?

SmokyDave

Picked up Monster Dash. It's very cool. Canabalt with guns set to a decent soundtrack with some nice backgrounds. Mr Zappy & The Pacifier are very cool. Cheers Halfbrick! You never let me down.

Edit: Just found stats section. Very cool. Run 13k so far (and I'm supposed to be working!)

Hmm, there is a stat for "Monsters killed in the menu". I'll check that out...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Burger said:
Not really related to your game, but in your trailer, that definitely looked like Weetbix the dude was munching on at the start... right ?

Fuck yeah, Weetabix!!

I thought I was the only one who ate that.

Dacvak

Reese-015 said:
That's actually my only real 'complaint' thus far, yeah.
Their website says they're working on adding sounds now.

HalfbrickPhil said:

Speaking as one who found Fruit Ninja an entertaining but flawed title (though it's still an ever present install on my iPhone) this is a superior game. If Fruit Ninja is 'well worth' 59p, Monster Dash is an absolute steal.

EpicWin is EpicFail. No Retina Display support, no repeating tasks, no push notifications, no calendar sync. Extremely disappointed. Hopefully all of these things are added, otherwise I'm sure someone will make a copy-cat app with all the basic things expected from an app like this.

yophlow

Banned
Burger said:

It's Weet Bix. Not Weetabix like those crazy English call it :)

And we are Australian!

Thanks heaps for all the kind words so far - happy to report that Monster Dash is rocketing up the charts. Top 50 in the US and UK - and in Australia, both Fruit Ninja and now Monster Dash are in the top ten all paid apps! Wow!

Gowans

just nabbed Monster Dash on my lunch, its great tho I think it's the last in the genre I'll be getting for my iphone it's loaded with calabalty games.

Halfbrick know how to make great little iPhone games. Perfect for what I want from the platform.

Look forward to the support and updates they bring to it too.

Openfeint name: Gowans007

SmokyDave

HalfbrickPhil said:
It's Weet Bix. Not Weetabix like those crazy English call it :)

And we are Australian!

Thanks heaps for all the kind words so far - happy to report that Monster Dash is rocketing up the charts. Top 50 in the US and UK - and in Australia, both Fruit Ninja and now Monster Dash are in the top ten all paid apps! Wow!
Congratulations, you deserve it. You are one of the 2/3 devs whose iPhone games / PSP mini's I buy without hesitation and I'm always happy (although Echoes drove me up the wall at first!).

Monster Dash will hit #1. I've no doubt about that.

Gowans007 said:
Woo-hoo! my first Openfeint friend!

Openfeint: SmokyDave.

Minsc

Gold Member
xbhaskarx said:
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said it looked like PixelJunk Monsers :lol
I love TD games, so I bought it on your recommendation.
Did you try Guns'n'Glory?

Yup, I bought it and played the first level, seemed fun, but I didn't notice any way to replay levels with alternate difficulty settings? It keeps a few things under the hood like a units range, and what they do etc. I really enjoy the art style and the idea of mobile towers adds some new elements. Looking forward to playing it more when I get a chance.

The Save Sylva game actually isn't as hard as the review lead me to believe. It's fun as all hell though (for me), and a great value for $1. I got to the 5th level now (had to replay one of the easy levels on normal which is why I don't think it's too hard, unless hard is brutal), and there's actually 6 towers, not four. I really love the upgrading, and how each tower has 18 upgrades.

The hardest enjoyable TD game I've played so far is definitely geoDefense on hardcore mode (which I consider to be normal, since the only other choice is labeled "easy"), even the easy levels I find myself not able to get perfects on.

kitchenmotors said:
EpicWin is EpicFail. No Retina Display support, no repeating tasks, no push notifications, no calendar sync. Extremely disappointed. Hopefully all of these things are added, otherwise I'm sure someone will make a copy-cat app with all the basic things expected from an app like this.

I was really looking forward to it from the trailer. Sounds like they rushed it. I'm tempted to buy it any way, and hope they fix it up, but maybe I'll wait a few weeks and see if they are committed to it or if it's just a quick cash grab for them.

Oh, and there's really absolutely no excuse for lack of retina display in a TASK management app that relies 90% on text.

Jonnyram said:
Crimson Gem Saga

version 1.01: fixed some bug

:lol

So mean, they won't tell us which bug it was! :lol They still need to fix the VA cutting off and a few other minor things, then it will be perfect

Dynoro

HalfbrickPhil said:
So bought - there goes my productivity for the afternoon :lol

xbhaskarx

Is there any way to recover an Openfeint account, my original account (xbhaskarx) somehow didn't make it over in my transition to my iPhone 4...

Gowans007 said:

SmokyDave said:
Woo-hoo! my first Openfeint friend!

Openfeint: SmokyDave.

I just added you two.

Is there an Openfeint friends thread?

Oops, there are repeating options... but just not enough options for it.

Minsc said:
I was really looking forward to it from the trailer. Sounds like they rushed it. I'm tempted to buy it any way, and hope they fix it up, but maybe I'll wait a few weeks and see if they are committed to it or if it's just a quick cash grab for them.

Oh, and there's really absolutely no excuse for lack of retina display in a TASK management app that relies 90% on text.

Yeah, seems kinda rushed. You're right though, there should be no excuse for lack of supporting the Retina Display. Just seems really lazy.

I jumped in on Epic Win first thing this morning. I was REALLY expecting more. Like, I don't know, sound effects? Retina support? Calendar integration?

If these things aren't patched in quickly I'm going to ... well, regret my purchase I guess. Wait no, I mean, INTERNET RAGE!

SmokyDave

xbhaskarx said:
Is there any way to recover an Openfeint account, my original account (xbhaskarx) somehow didn't make it over in my transition to my iPhone 4...

Only if it is tied to an email address, I believe. There is an option somewhere (on your old device now) to tie the local account to and email address. This lets you recover your profile on any device.

I just added you two.

Is there an Openfeint friends thread?
Nice!

I don't think there is a thread. I'd never thought of actually using Openfeint (beyond tracking which games I was playing) until today, I just set up an account because the option was there!

I suspect it will be rendered obsolete by some sort of iGamertag system in the future. It'd be nice if Apple just bought out Openfeint instead.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've noticed that for games that update to support the Retina Screen for the 4G somehow look crisper on my 3GS, especially Sword of Fargoal and Spider look much crisper.

Edit: There was supposed to be a question: Is it just me or would it affect the way the games look even on an older 3GS?

Ok, just got an iPhone for present!

Bought Fruit Ninjas! Really good!

Also bought Pocket Gods, I love games like that lol

Any Top 10 here on Gaf?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Easy_D said:
I've noticed that for games that update to support the Retina Screen for the 4G somehow look crisper on my 3GS, especially Sword of Fargoal and Spider look much crisper.

Edit: There was supposed to be a question: Is it just me or would it affect the way the games look even on an older 3GS?
"Supporting the retina screen" means accounting for higher resolution. This usually involves providing hires textures and more detailed 3D models.

What devs are naively supposed to do is provide the assets that match the device's capabilities. Most developers though use lower-res textures than the 3GS can handle for performance reasons. Which is perfectly reasonable.

Could be that they just up-res the textures for all platforms that can handle them, given the phone's capability strings. An understandable oversight.

Also, there's UI anti-aliasing, maybe they just toggled that on. Edit: Wouldn't affect either game you're mentioning though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel like Epic Win could be really cool but it's like they didn't think any deeper than the first level. As others have posted, just five minutes into using it you can think of about a dozen simple fixes that would make it way better. For example, accessing a calendar instead of a list of dates without corresponding weekdays, better recurring-event management as discussed above (such a no-brainer it seems crazy it's not in already), and just real basics that could easily be ripped-off wholesale from any number of free scheduling apps.

It could also be a lot stronger on the game side imo. For example, it should give a loose sense of how to assign points, and do so by including a big list of stock tasks (that you could pull from) that have corresponding values. Yeah yeah it's all totally arbitrary and you can give yourself a kajillion fake points if it makes you feel good, but if you're going to go gamey at least put some real effort into it. Also you should be able to assign penalties for not completing certain tasks. For example, if you have a run scheduled for every Saturday and Sunday for 100 pts, you could make missing that run -100. And that's not even getting into some of the really creative stuff you could do.

I like the concept though and hope they flesh it out a lot more. I haven't used a to-do app since the Palm Vx days so I'll stick with it just for fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Easy_D said:

Well, in some games, they've added AA support for 3GS. Not sure about those two mentioned games, though.

LugNut74

AstroLad said:
I feel like Epic Win could be really cool but it's like they didn't think any deeper than the first level. As others have posted, just five minutes into using it you can think of about a dozen simple fixes that would make it way better. For example, accessing a calendar instead of a list of dates without corresponding weekdays, better recurring-event management as discussed above (such a no-brainer it seems crazy it's not in already), and just real basics that could easily be ripped-off wholesale from any number of free scheduling apps.

It could also be a lot stronger on the game side imo. For example, it should give a loose sense of how to assign points, and do so by including a big list of stock tasks (that you could pull from) that have corresponding values. Yeah yeah it's all totally arbitrary and you can give yourself a kajillion fake points if it makes you feel good, but if you're going to go gamey at least put some real effort into it. Also you should be able to assign penalties for not completing certain tasks. For example, if you have a run scheduled for every Saturday and Sunday for 100 pts, you could make missing that run -100. And that's not even getting into some of the really creative stuff you could do.

I like the concept though and hope they flesh it out a lot more. I haven't used a to-do app since the Palm Vx days so I'll stick with it just for fun.

I agree with most of everything you said above concerning this app. Surprisingly I emailed the dev earlier this morning covering most of these topics. Hopefully in due time they will add most of these into the app. The one thing that really floored me was the awful implementation of recurring to-do management. I'm not going to get into that here I already emailed them stating how they can make it better. Just my 2 cents.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
no it's a to-do list with game elements. and it's not very good as either :lol the mashup is novel enough and the promise is there to make it worth it for me anyway though

Anno

So should I hold off on Epic Win, then? Frankly I don't really care about Retina support or calendar syncing if the base application just works. Seems to be a lot of conflicting reports.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anno said:
So should I hold off on Epic Win, then? Frankly I don't really care about Retina support or calendar syncing if the base application just works. Seems to be a lot of conflicting reports.
it's a to-do list where you can schedule stuff on certain days, or on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly recurring basis. you can assign point values to tasks in different areas and level your dude up. works fine in that sense.

i actually don't care about syncing myself as i don't use my itouch calendar, but i would like to at least SEE a calendar with days of the week listed rather than just numbers

suikodan

Hey cooljeanius, SmokyDave, xbhaskarx and Gowans007, I just added you to my OpenFeint friends list. Hope you don't mind.

Other than that, I tried PuzzleQuest on my iPhone4 this morning (got back to it since my gf loves it on the 3G I gave her :lol ) and it's sad how buggy it is. Hopefully there will be a patch for it even though a lot of people don't think there will be one.

Minsc

Gold Member
ChackanKun said:
Ok, just got an iPhone for present!

Bought Fruit Ninjas! Really good!

Also bought Pocket Gods, I love games like that lol

Any Top 10 here on Gaf?

Sword & Poker 2!!!!
carcassonne
Helsing's Fire
Angry Birds
Chaos Rings/Crimson Saga
Espgaluda 2
Plants vs Zombies / Defender Chronicles
Song Summoner Encore

are a few more to get you going.

Remy

I didn't buy Epic Win thanks to you lot all shitting on it (that's why I come here!), but I will say that Monster Dash is excellent, and I couldn't stop playing it on the train this morning.

I mean, it's Canabalt with guns, but that's not a bad thing. Digging the jetpack. My only (mild, easily patchable) gripe is that it doesn't support OS4 app freezing/resuming, so every time I fire it back up I hit the load screen.

Awesome app great job, Halfbrick!

Echoes

I love EpicWin so much. Definitely needs refinements but in general I'm madly in love.

And Monster Dash? Lord, so freaking fun.

Such a great day for the AppStore.

gunstarhero

(Finally) got me an iPad - immediately bought:

Espagaluda 2
Fruit Ninja HD
Angry Birds HD
Osmosis HD
AirAttack HD
Little Things

Since I'm into shooters, I picked up AirAttack HD as well - it's pretty good. But it was probably not a good idea to buy it after the awesomeness that is Espagaluda 2.

Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Osmosis are just as awesome as I heard. Little Things is pretty fun as well.

Was thinking about Chaos RIngs - looks incredible and the reviews seem pretty good.

Any other good recommends out there? Love shooters like Espa2. Also like SRPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom