• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Madden '10 Thread: Thrust-per-step Revolution!

madden-a2-721556.png

Release Date: August 14th
Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 2, PSP
Price: $59.99 (PS3, Xbox 360); $49.99 (Nintendo Wii); $39.95 (PS2, PSP)

Lets get the following out of the way first. Madden threads attract 2k fans, it's just going to happen. I wish 2k was still around, I think everyone does. Competition is good. But this thread is just about Madden '10, not what Madden '10 would be if NFL2kx were around or how much people miss NFL 2kx or how much better it is than madden.

All those things are true. NFL 2k5 is the greatest football.... nay, SPORTS game of this century and nothing can change that until they get the NFL license back. EA is the devil for buying out the NFL license. Their anti-competition ways are ridiculous and the government should step in and make it so everyone can create NFL games. Fuck you EA and the horse you rode in on I'm boycotting your game.

There, I've said everything you wanted to say. No need to post it again chums!

New Features:

Fight for Online Dominance
Battle for franchise dominance online with leagues of 32 teams. Featuring real NFL scheduling, live drafts, player transactions, league message boards, and more - all manageable from your console or your league's custom web page online. Your Madden NFL 10 online franchise is always just a click away.

What we know about this feature: It's called Online Franchise, but it doesn't have all the same features as single player franchise. Missing features include salary cap, player contracts, CPU trade logic, and online sliders.

In addition, you cannot have an odd number of teams. Every league will have all 32 teams. The teams that cannot be filled by humans will be controlled by the CPU.

What we don't know about this feature: There is a patch that will be out day 1 for Online Franchise issues. Tiburon has said they can add things into Online Franchise as it is stored server side. This includes salary cap, contracts, sliders, etc. The question is will they bother to do this?

Pro–Tak
This all new animation technology provides unprecedented control over the outcome of every play. Drag defenders towards the first down marker, including up to 9-man gang tackles, fight for a fumble at the bottom of the pile, and evade the rush with all-new quarterback avoidance actions. Enhanced play at the line of scrimmage features a new blocking system that allows the quarterback to step into the pocket and gives the defensive line more control over the rush.

The Extra Point Show
Check out the happenings around your Online Franchise league with the dynamic, network-style show hosted by Fran Charles and Alex Flanagan of NFL Network. Featuring news and information from each week's games, The Extra Point recaps all the excitement of your Franchise.

Online Co-Op

For the first time in franchise history, team up with a friend online and battle against the CPU. Work on game strategy, practice plays and experience the game from a new point of view with position-specific camera angles.

-----------------------------------------

For those that enjoy the SIM experience, here is a blog that I follow (Bill Abner): http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/

He's a pretty unbiased guy and calls it like it is. I like what I'm hearing from him. Here are some recent items of interest:

Before I take a Madden break -- I forgot to check player ratings for those rookies and since Madden doesn't list where a player was picked on his profile (hopefully that can get added next year) it's hard to see who went where quickly.

However, I did look at roster breakdowns and here's the top rated rookies from the draft below:

1. SS - Chi - 85 OVR (not sure where he was picked but it was NOT in the first round. The Bears took a LE.)
2. RE - Oak - 85 (pick #6 overall)
3. LG - Den - 84 (pick #14 overall)
4. TE - Minn 83 (NOT 1st round
5. WR - NYG - 83 (NOT 1st round)
6. LE - TB - 83 (#2 overall)
7. LT - Det - 82 (#1 overall)
8. RG - Chi - 82 (I think this guy went Round 3!)
9. MLB - Det 82 (Round 2)
10. C - Den - 82 (Round 2)
11. LE - Oak 82 (Not first round)
12. FS - Pitt - 81 (Pick #30)
13. DT - Mia - 81 (Pick #4)
14. OLB - Buff - 81 (Pick #7)
15. SS - NYJ - 79 (Not first round)
16. WR - Jags - 79 Not first round)
17. HB - NYJ - 79 (Pick #19)

Everyone else is under 79 to start.

As for the Browns? I was simming -- and didn't scout at all -- merely picked what the generic list said. How'd I do?

Rounds:

1. HB 75 OVR
2. SS 41 OVR
3. CB 52 OVR
4. OLB 59 OVR
5. DT 56 OVR
6. WR 41 OVR
7. LR 59 OVR

Scouting = important.

Yep, the most ready to play player from that 2010 draft -- was not even taken in Round 1. Freaking. Great. For those scoring at home -- the Bears landed the #1 and #8 immediate impact rookies -- and I guess totally whiffed on their 1st round pick, some LE who is rated a 71. and was drafted #26 overall.

OK -- the draft. This was a huge sticking point with me last year (and basically every year since Madden added a franchise mode.)

Little sidebar:

Madden, for many, many years didn't have a franchise mode. It was an arcade game, period. There's nothing at all wrong with that. As long as a game knows what it is, that's fine.

In the late 90's -- I want to say 1997 -- Madden was showing at E3 and introducing its new franchise mode. If you weren't into gaming over a decade ago -- this was a time when PC sports games were still a huge business. I had absolutely zero interest in owning a console and in fact never did own a PS1. I didn't need one. I had a PC and with it games like Front Page Sports: Football. I had played Madden on the PS1 and it took me about 15 minutes to realize it was not for me...at all. But again, that was fine. The arcade crowd had its game, the simmers had theirs.

Everyone was happy.

Arcade gamers could zoom around the field with Barry Sanders and Front Page PC gamers could print out draft sheets and trade players and create plays, all using the mouse and keyboard and not some clunky controller. (Yes, I do miss those days -- how awesome would it be to be able to print out the draft in Madden 10? Pretty damn awesome and equally useful.)

So anyway, at E3 in '97 or '98 the guy showing Madden started hyping its new franchise mode and he told both me and Todd (curious if Todd remembers this) "See? Now we have the same stuff as Front Page Sports. We can draft. We can trade. We can play seasons."

After actually playing Madden and its new franchise mode it was shockingly clear that the guys designing it had absolutely no idea what made franchise mode, well...interesting. The AI was awful, the interface ridiculous, and you were limited to like 5 seasons or something like that. The fact that this fellow actually had the stones to compare that to FPS: Football was staggering to me.

So here we are over a decade later and even last year's Madden had many of those same faults. Teams drafting 3 quarterbacks, silly trades, signing FAs for no reason, stockpiling players at a position, just pure silliness. This year, with Madden's more simmish approach franchise mode is a much better feature -- as for the draft? Well, here's what I saw at the 2010 draft:

The good thing is that no teams drafted more than 1 QB. In fact most teams didn't double up at a position at all. However, 5 teams did draft 3 wide receivers. Now that is a bit much but I remember when the Browns took linebackers in rounds 4, 5, and 6 one year. Oh, how joyous that draft was. Thanks Butch.

I saw 3 trades, all of which were reasonable. The Titans traded the 26th pick in the 1st round to Tampa for the Bucs' 2nd and 3rd round pick (pick 2 in those rounds). Stuff like that.

Here's a quick R1 breakdown

Det: LT
Tampa: LE
Min: QB
Mia: DT
Cle: RB
Oak: RE
Buf: OLB
Jack: OLB
STL: FS
Tex: HB
Cin: DT
Phil: OLB
Dal: WR
Den: LG
Car: QB
GB: WR
Wash: HB
SF: WR
Jet: HB
Ari: TE
Balt: LE
Atl: RT
NE: WR
Tampa: LT
Indy: FS
Chi: LE
Sea: HB
SD: LT
NO: QB (oddest pick in the draft)
Pitt: FS

Overall, none too shabby. No crazy runs on centers or guards, teams mostly drafted for need. Not bad at all and like I said, only a few teams went nuts drafting wide outs but other than that, it was good stuff.

Player Progression:

Another BIG issue with Madden's franchise mode was player progression and while I need to play more seasons to see how this shakes out, early tests are promising, to a point

The Browns had 5 players drop at least 6 OVR points: Shaun Rogers (ack!), Ryan Tucker, Robaire Smith, St. Clair (-7), and Bowens.

What do they have in common? Age.

8 players gained at least 5: Quinn, Robo, Mass, Wright, McDonald, Rucker, Veikune, and Mack

What do they have in common? Young players -- all of them. The young guys should get better, but McDonald went from a 71 to a 77, so it's not like he's an All Pro now.

Everyone else either stayed the same or went up or down only a point or two.

This is MUCH better than previous Madden games.

I still don't think it goes far enough, but it's a big step in the right direction. I'd still like to see 30+ year old halfbacks start to slow down a bit quicker. Jamal Lewis is still an 86. He didn't drop at all. Looking around the league, Fred Taylor, 34 years old, didn't drop 1 point. He should. He's *34* -- it's time to at least show some signs of age. He's still a mid 80s rated back. He doesn't need to fall off a cliff, but it's time that Father Time started chipping at his ability.

Tony Gonzalez is still a 98 after 12 seasons. He didn't drop either. It will be interesting to see what happens to these players in the coming years. My hope is that age starts to take a fast toll soon -- like 6 to 9 point drops. If a player is still rated a 98 he should not retire. Why would he unless he gets hurt? He's a 98! If Brett Favre was a "98", i.e. playing at 1995 Favre ability, he'd be in uniform today. So we'll see what happens with these highly rated players in a season or two.

One cool thing about progression: No one got FASTER. All progression was in other areas but Braylon Edwards all of a sudden didn't gain 2 points of speed or whatever. Very good.

OK this is getting long so I'll wrap up with some 2010 preseason news. I started simming the preseason and then started looking around the league. Everything looked in order but for a few items of note:

Washington has 2 QBs on its roster: Colt Brennan and some rookie. Both are rated 55. They could sign Tavaris Jackson or Rosenfels or any of the 12 65-69 rated QBs in the FA pool. Hell sign Troy Smith. He deserves a shot. :)

Surely they aren't going into the season with a 55 OVR QB...

Denver is starting a 65 OVR 2nd year player. Now, a 65 is bad, but not Colt Brennan bad. They have one backup -- a 37 rated rookie. Yikes. They let Orson go to FA after he had a really good season -- an 84 QB rating year -- so Orton ends up signing to be the backup in Pittsburgh. Sorta odd.

But other than those oddities, teams are maintaining roster integrity, which is another thing Madden used to really struggle with.

These are good signs for franchise players! There are obviously problems with the game (and he talks about them too, with additional vids), but nothing game breaking at this point.
-----

Anyhow, the game is due out soon and (god willing) some of us will have it late this week or early next week. This is an anticipation thread and impressions thread!

Go madden!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i think that pic may have appeared in every thread ive ever started :(

I was going to photoshop Madden's head onto Dave's, but I suck :lol

Someone else can do it

pilonv1

Big fan of Bill Abner here too, been following him since the late 90s. I miss Front Office Football too.

Very glad to hear the changes with drafting, scouting and progression. As a Bengals franchise player it's all I have.

anddo0

Its looking good right now. Hopefully no one finds a game killing bug. The only downer I see so far is using generic draft classes.. NCAA 10 progression being broken, so that means a ton of 90ovr rookies. Hopefully EA fixes that crap. I hate generic Madden draft classes.

witness

I am ready for some motherfuckin football! I haven't bought a madden game since '07 and I love the '10 super bowl demo, haven't been this excited for a madden game in a long time.

Nilla

Banned
I skipped '09, but am really looking forward to '10, from what I've seen so far.

Definitely picking it up day one... would prefer to get it for PS3, all else being equal.

Striker

Franchise seems really good for the first time in years. I had such a joyous time in Madden '05 Owner Mode. :)

im not a big franchise guy, but with all the improvements and positive early reviews with the draft, player progression and team specific playing styles maybe ill finally stick one out this year

All those things are true. NFL 2k5 is the greatest football.... nay, SPORTS game of this century and nothing can change that until they get the NFL license back. EA is the devil for buying out the NFL license. Their anti-competition ways are ridiculous and the government should step in and make it so everyone can create NFL games. Fuck you EA and the horse you rode in on I'm boycotting your game.

:lol You should make sure this is re-posted every new page.

Edgeward

Got to stop playing the demo. Don't want to keep spoiling myself. Not to mention the 1 minute quarters is like sex but then stopping mid-thrust. It frustrates to no end. Release it now, dammit.

Benson

I always tell myself that I won't buy a new Madden game but I invariably do. I've tried keeping away from this one so hopefully I can hold out this time! Until it drops in price maybe..

anddo0 said:
The only downer I see so far is using generic draft classes.. NCAA 10 progression being broken, so that means a ton of 90ovr rookies. Hopefully EA fixes that crap. I hate generic Madden draft classes.

Exactly.

The Madden generated draft classes look great, but I only use NCAA classes up until the 5th year.

SMOKE

Banned
Where's the splooge all over my face .gifs gaf?

Anyways, I cannot freaking wait I hate playing the demo since my team is unusable so I just run into LBs with rapistberger all game til he gets hurt:D greatest demo ever for hurting QBs:lol .

1 more week fellas and my niners will be raining and running down your throats.:D

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
SMOKE said:
Where's the splooge all over my face .gifs gaf?

Anyways, I cannot freaking wait I hate playing the demo since my team is unusable so I just run into LBs with rapistberger all game til he gets hurt:D greatest demo ever for hurting QBs:lol .

1 more week fellas and my niners will be raining and running down your throats.:D

FMT knows a little bit about 9ers going down his throat

jeff-garcia-thumbs-up-wife-pregnant.jpg

Kibbles

Benson said:
I always tell myself that I won't buy a new Madden game but I invariably do. I've tried keeping away from this one so hopefully I can hold out this time! Until it drops in price maybe..
Same. Even though this one is going to be great, I'm going to wait and buy on ebay or something for cheaper. I just can't afford it with all the other shit that's going to be coming out. Madden comes every year, no need to jump on it right away for $60. *holds back*

29zeqte.gif

jgsh0m.gif

1fjlme.gif

Jeff-DSA

I'm kinda pissed that the Dolphins win their division and come into Madden 10 as the lowest rated team in that same division. Eff off, EA Sports.

The Patriots miss the playoffs but come in the highest rated team. Ok...so in most years if a team underachieves they get penalized going into the next season, but not the freaking Patriots.

C'mon, the Dolphins WON THEIR FREAKING DIVISION, I think they deserve a bit better than a 77 overall rating!

ntb825

Are there any good write ups for the online co-op modes?

Does anyone know how it works? Can you switch players on the fly? Like, I can be QB for a bit, then my buddy can be QB, etc, etc?

DMczaf

damaster129 said:
can someone explain this pic i dont get whos in it

The arrow is pointing at the guy who made this thread. Dave is disgusted, threatened to never do a show in LA again.

reKon

Banned
Played the demo. Definitely an improvement and that's good coming from me because there are so many things that I can't stand about Madden games that another football game in the past had nailed down so well. I'm still on the fence about purchasing this one. I'm trying to spend wisely here. I still got both Uncharted's, Infamous, Warhawk, and possibly Killzone 2/MGS4 and Ratchet: ACIT to get this year...

Jtrizzy

If you are interested in the PS3 franchise league, head to the online/meet up forums and claim your team now. FMT, could you mention this in the OP?

Great! Is Create-a-fan going to be making a comeback?

/troll

After playing last year's madden, and being immediately disappointed with the lack of execution (Madden IQ, Receivers running routes out of bounds, blockers with lobotomies trying to get their man) of the gameplay features, I will hold off on this year and wait. Maybe next year EA.

Jtrizzy

Hasenfeffer said:

/troll

After playing last year's madden, and being immediately disappointed with the lack of execution (Madden IQ, Receivers running routes out of bounds, blockers with lobotomies trying to get their man) of the gameplay features, I will hold off on this year and wait. Maybe next year EA.

south-park-smug-313.gif

Striker

Hasenfeffer said:

/troll

:lol :lol

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Franchise is by far my favorite aspect of Madden. This year I resolve to take a team all 30 years (or whatever the max years are, I usually stop after 3 or 4) and get every team to the superbowl.

I'm also intrigued by Online Franchise, though not sure about being able to find a solid group of people who will be consistant with it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad to hear about the improvements in the franchise mode (draft, offseason, etc.). I plan on buying this as my first football game since NFL 2K5 (Technically I bought Madden last year, but returned it without playing it), and I'm hoping to get a ton of mileage out of franchise mode simming the season and doing all the front office stuff on my own.
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm kinda pissed that the Dolphins win their division and come into Madden 10 as the lowest rated team in that same division. Eff off, EA Sports.

The Patriots miss the playoffs but come in the highest rated team. Ok...so in most years if a team underachieves they get penalized going into the next season, but not the freaking Patriots.

C'mon, the Dolphins WON THEIR FREAKING DIVISION, I think they deserve a bit better than a 77 overall rating!
I don't think that having the best team of the decade, a team that has won 3 Super Bowls and had only ONE losing season in the last 10 years, above a team that hasn't won a playoff game since 2000 and was in the cellar of their division for 3 of the last 5 years is all that unreasonable.

Got me interested in division winning teams year-over-year, so I pulled up the past two seasons on ESPN.Com. Interesting fact - Dallas, Green Bay, and Seattle (or every NFC division winner) went from winning their division in the '07 season to being 3rd in the division in '08. AFC was mostly static. Before that, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Chicago went from winning their divisions in '06 to being last in their divisions in '07, and New Orleans went from winning to second-to-last.

This kind of thing isn't all that out of the ordinary in real life, and let's be honest, there's a much better chance of last year's lightning-in-a-bottle Dolphins dropping off than the 4-Super-Bowls-in-the-last-8-years Patriots. Hell, they may have missed the playoffs last year, but they were still 11-5 playing without their best player and team leader.

you can't rate the dolphins above the pats. no one in the right mind (in madden or real life) would "rate" the dolphins above the pats.

the pats have a better qb, better o-line, better receivers, better linebackers, better D-line, better special teams. the fins have better RB's, and maybe better secondary, but you can't rate them higher OVERALL than the pats, even if they did win the division. that's like saying the arizona cardinals should be rated above every other NFC team because they got to the superbowl. that's not how it works

Cobra84

Jeff-DSA said:
The Dolphins are worse than Bills with their 0-6 divisional record, cancerous WR, and suspended RB? Did Chris Berman do the ratings? :lol

Edit: the Jets shouldn't be higher either, with their rookie QB (or Clemens :lol) or the worst WR corps in the division.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Will they actually test this game before it comes out? I remember in 09 things flying through other crap. If you scored a TD sometimes the player would run through the crowd. The ball had some kind of magic ability to pass through 'solid' objects. I cursed many times as a I watched replays and saw the pass passing through players hands and into those of the others. I kicked a 50+ yard field goal only to have it go straight through the cross bar. It didn't bounce, it didn't fall short, it just pass through it. Little things like that should have been picked up during testing.

Also I want the kicking scaled back. It has been waaaaaay to easy to kicked touch backs ever since they added the kicking to the damn stick.

*I'll still probably buy it though... It's the closest I can come to football in Japan*

Ratba said:
Will they actually test this game before it comes out? I remember in 09 things flying through other crap. If you scored a TD sometimes the player would run through the crowd. The ball had some kind of magic ability to pass through 'solid' objects. I cursed many times as a I watched replays and saw the pass passing through players hands and into those of the others. I kicked a 50+ yard field goal only to have it go straight through the cross bar. It didn't bounce, it didn't fall short, it just pass through it. Little things like that should have been picked up during testing.

Also I want the kicking scaled back. It has been waaaaaay to easy to kicked touch backs ever since they added the kicking to the damn stick.

*I'll still probably buy it though... It's the closest I can come to football in Japan*

i think the presentation stuff you mentioned has been improved upon, but i guarantee you that there will still be instances of clipping between players/objects and players/players. it will never go away :/

also, the FG through crossbar must have been a glitch because i had a few FG's dong off the cross bar and uprights last year.... to my dismay!

Not quite sure if I want to pick this up or not. I've taken a few years off from Madden, but Online Franchise might be too hard to pass up.

Top Bottom