• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade Thread of Japanese-tastic 2D Tentacle Action!

Neiteio

Doorman said:
Once you've beaten their story mode, I believe the boss gates do reappear, and yeah you can fight them as many times as you want to. Once you beat a boss you just return to their anteroom, with the boss gate still right there. Same goes for the enemy lairs, of course.
Wow, that sounds great! Think you can boot up your copy just to make sure? I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake not saving separate files before each boss. The bosses in this game are AMAZING.

Doorman

Neiteio said:
Wow, that sounds great! Think you can boot up your copy just to make sure? I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake not saving separate files before each boss. The bosses in this game are AMAZING.
Well I don't have to boot up my game to tell you that you're free to re-fight the bosses, the only thing I don't fully remember is when you unlock that right. Basically whether or not you need to beat both characters' final bosses or if it's handled per-character. That point will be moot anyway, unless you for some reason stop playing before beating both stories. You certainly won't need multiple save files right in front of bosses unless you're completely averse to quickly hacking through their battlegrounds.

Neiteio

Doorman said:
Well I don't have to boot up my game to tell you that you're free to re-fight the bosses, the only thing I don't fully remember is when you unlock that right. Basically whether or not you need to beat both characters' final bosses or if it's handled per-character. That point will be moot anyway, unless you for some reason stop playing before beating both stories. You certainly won't need multiple save files right in front of bosses unless you're completely averse to quickly hacking through their battlegrounds.
Nope, no aversion to taking care of the occasional gang of ninjas. :) The combat in this game never gets old -- like hyper-kinetic Smash Bros., plus katanas. :)

Thanks for explaining the ability to replay bosses, Doorman. I watched the GameTrailers review before getting this game and I caught glimpses of so many amazing monsters that I know I'll want to revisit them. I already want to go back and replay the Blue Monk. :)

Just beat the third boss with Momohime. Can't wait to see what the game throws my way next!

Neiteio said:
Nope, no aversion to taking care of the occasional gang of ninjas. :) The combat in this game never gets old -- like hyper-kinetic Smash Bros., plus katanas. :)

Thanks for explaining the ability to replay bosses, Doorman. I watched the GameTrailers review before getting this game and I caught glimpses of so many amazing monsters that I know I'll want to revisit them. I already want to go back and replay the Blue Monk. :)

Just beat the third boss with Momohime. Can't wait to see what the game throws my way next!

@Neiteio. This game will have you on the edge of your seat. I love that I can air-juggle ninjas in the air. Combos are ridiculous. This is one of those games that allow your imagination to run wild. Being able to throw a enemy in the air, change swords and countless pummel them to the ground is amazing. Muramasa gives me a delightful feeling, similar to my first time watching a movie based on ninjas.

Neiteio

Chauncy Talon said:
@Neiteio. This game will have you on the edge of your seat. I love that I can air-juggle ninjas in the air. Combos are ridiculous. This is one of those games that allow your imagination to run wild. Being able to throw a enemy in the air, change swords and countless pummel them to the ground is amazing. Muramasa gives me a delightful feeling, similar to my first time watching a movie based on ninjas.
Oh trust me, I know. :) I have the game and I'm playing it right now -- up through the third boss on Momohime, like I said. I was just curious if I'll be able to replay the bosses, and Doorman says I will, which is great because they're my favorite part of the game so far, which is saying something when there's so much awesome content packed in there (gorgeous art and music, tight controls, fast combat, fluid combos, forging, cooking, etc). And I'm addicted to making increasingly stronger swords! :)

I thoroughly enjoyed the game on first character run (the chick). Got really tired of it with the 2nd character (the guy)... and by the time I 'finished' the game, got most of the weapons and finished most of the challenges/gauntlets - I was well and truly sick of it.

Amazing art, great atmosphere, good design choices, great variety given there are really only 2 different types of weapons, special attacks were awesome, the weapon draw system and exp/food system was good... but I still felt like I wasted my $60-70AUD...

Despite all of its good points, the combat system is shallow and exploitable (most of the gauntlets can be finished very easily provided you choose long-lasting special attack capable weapons (anything with whirlwind/spin etc will do, as you are more or less invulnerable), the controls/moves boil down to what is essentially a more simple version of Smash Bros, and the lack of a dedicated jump button was criminal.

Enjoyed the game for what it is was worth, and if someone had a Wii, was incapable of playing the numerous 'better' titles on XBLA/PSN, and wanted a really good looking game with nice atmosphere and some addictive elements despite some serious gameplay/longevity flaws, I'd certainly suggest it for $10-20. Any news on a sequel? I'd be interested in a more fleshed out version no doubt.

Neiteio

People complain about the lack of a dedicated jump button, but if you're playing with a Classic Controller Pro and using the D-Pad like I am, you are using a button to jump -- the Up button on the D-Pad, which is just as responsive as any other button. I imagine a lot of people who don't take naturally to the jumping are using the analog stick on the Nunchuk. That said, as with every game, the designers should allow for custom controls.

Neiteio said:
People complain about the lack of a dedicated jump button, but if you're playing with a Classic Controller Pro and using the D-Pad like I am, you are using a button to jump -- the Up button on the D-Pad, which is just as responsive as any other button. I imagine a lot of people who don't take naturally to the jumping are using the analog stick on the Nunchuk. That said, as with every game, the designers should allow for custom controls.

I can see where you're coming from. However if the combat system is going to be so similar to smash bros etc it should probably allow for the same options such as disabling 'up' as jump and creating a dedicated button for it. Its not so much the usability or functionality of 'up' as jump - but rather the potential for imprecision. I played on a classic controller and was frequently annoyed late game by having to use jump that way.

gdt5016 said:
Gonna order this right now. Only $12.99 on Amazon for fuck's sake.
Oh sweet! I had no idea it was that cheap. I just dusted off my Wii the other day for the first time in a couple years, so I'm going to order it right now.

MYE

Holy shit why did i wait so long to buy this?!

Played this last night and i'm actually surprised at how much i was enjoying it. Bought it mostly for the art and nervously expected a repetitive and monotonous gameplay, but its actually very addicting, fluid and fun to watch.

The 3-blade gameplay, the Directions + A combo system, loving it all.

And the graphics, holy fuckballs! Turned on "Vivid Mode" on my Bravia and mt balls exploded! Shame on me for not buying this day one cuz from what i've seen so far, Vanillaware deserves major props for this one.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (so far, at least)

LaneDS

Probably has been around this price for a while, but it's $12.93 on Amazon currently. Watched the Gametrailers review for it and picked it up after liking what they had to say about it.

Zeal

Banned
i play this game to this day. it is just too damn fun, the animation is gorgeous, and it always makes me want to out out and eat sushi...for some reason.

hoping for a sequel.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just picked the title up once again, as I'm clearing my backlog. I feel I was near the end of one character's story, but started over anyways since it had been so long since I played. Progressing much quicker now with a better understanding of the combat, and items.

Amazing looking game, scenery, characters, bosses. Much prefer this to Odin Sphere, but both are great.

Ledsen

Holy shiiiiit this game is hard. I'm only on the third boss I think (horse girl) but she's kicking my ass to the moon and back. Each time I get hit by her arrows I lose 1/3-1/2 of my life, and if I block them my weapon immediately breaks :/ What should I do? I've killed three life bars off of her but by that point I'm all out of healing items... Playing on Shura btw.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ledsen said:
Holy shiiiiit this game is hard. I'm only on the third boss I think (horse girl) but she's kicking my ass to the moon and back. Each time I get hit by her arrows I lose 1/3-1/2 of my life, and if I block them my weapon immediately breaks :/ What should I do? I've killed three life bars off of her but by that point I'm all out of healing items... Playing on Shura btw.

Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit this game kicked my ass more than once. >> Worth it though, game is awesome!

Sorry in advance if this is already well-known, but have you guys listened to Muramasa's arranged album?

gwjPb.jpg

This just recently released, and it's awesome! Definitely check it out if you dig the game's soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxt_1_EG3F0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KHF9fL7wM

Top Bottom