• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

Doesn't any of you feel, that this game has been in a really short development time? Maybe I am just expecting really long waits. Actually it's not only this game, quite a few big names have been released quite quickly.

ivysaur12

Banned
M3d10n said:
Oh lord, gone already? Here, let me fix it for ya:
814vfo5.jpg

Is this from the remake?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Neko Tsukimi said:
Reading the post... I wonder how did I play such an ugly game and enjoy it like there was no tomorrow...
Heh, I'm playing (and enjoying) it right now and I'm not finding it ugly.

I do put my mind on the time the game was released though, as there would be no point in comparing it with current gen graphics.

Pureauthor said:
If I'd pulled that trick with my folks, they'd have shrugged, said 'Suit yourself', and I'd awaken to an empty tree.

And that only counts for the first 7-8 years of my life when they bothered with a tree at all.
Your parents sound like monsters

You should fill the void in your heart with NiGHTS, love can come through an open door

Segata Sanshiro said:
Your parents sound like monsters

You should fill the void in your heart with NiGHTS, love can come through an open door

You don't talk 'bout my momma that way!

Anyway, a Wii's not in the cards for me until Nintendo comes up with a storage solution that doesn't suck. Maybe I'll content myself with the PS2 remake.

Pureauthor said:
You don't talk 'bout my momma that way!

Anyway, a Wii's not in the cards for me until Nintendo comes up with a storage solution that doesn't suck. Maybe I'll content myself with the PS2 remake.
A perfectly good option!

Sadly in my probings of the last couple of days it doesn't seem like a release of NiGHTS PS2 is in the cards outside of Japan unless NiGHTS:JoD does some god-like numbers.

Z'ah well, this is why we have PS2s that can play Japanese games, yes?

EDITED FOR PUTTING THE WRONG COUNTRY IN THAR.

Segata Sanshiro said:
A perfectly good option!

Sadly in my probings of the last couple of days it doesn't seem like a release of NiGHTS PS2 is in the cards outside of NA unless NiGHTS:JoD does some god-like numbers.

Z'ah well, this is why we have PS2s that can play Japanese games, yes?

Hm. A minor inconvenience, I suppose. No biggie.

Alaluef said:
Heh, I'm playing (and enjoying) it right now and I'm not finding it ugly.

I do put my mind on the time the game was released though, as there would be no point in comparing it with current gen graphics.

Yeah... Def back then, I was still massively enjoying the Sega Channel's offerings... So the Saturn was quite a step up. Mmmmmm, that big round controller... I can feel it in my hands...

Tim-E

Always wanted to play Nights Into Dreams so bad but I never had a Saturn. :( If this game gets generally favorable reviews I'll definitely get it a shot. It looks like it's turning out pretty nice.

Edit: Excellent OP, btw.

SupahBlah

Banned
One of the things I loved about the saturn if you put the games in a CD player they would play the music.

Absolutely loved nights and sega rally for that.

Tim-E

SupahBlah said:
One of the things I loved about the saturn if you put the games in a CD player they would play the music.

Absolutely loved nights and sega rally for that.

A few Playstation games did that, too. I always tried it out. :D

D-X

Teddman said:
So no Xmas NiGHTS mode? That will actually make a difference of whether I buy this immediately upon release or not, since it'd be right in time for the holiday theme.

It hasn't been explicitly stated but I hear lots of previews mentioning the game has lots of 'extras' and that reminds me of Xmas NiGHTS' extras but that's just me guessing.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ha ha!

You know what I would love as a pre-order bonus? A nice big glossy poster of that last image in the OP. Well, the image before my edit. Of NiGHTS in front of the moon. That was my desktop background for like six years.
Segata, do you like NiGHTS or not? I'm having trouble figuring you out, dude.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's still a little ways out, but compared to eleven years, not so long, right? Right?
:lol too true. After waiting for almost an eternity I shouldn't whine that much. At least I hope the Japanese and Americans will give this game plenty of lovin' and sales.

Phife Dawg said:
:lol too true. After waiting for almost an eternity I shouldn't whine that much. At least I hope the Japanese and Americans will give this game plenty of lovin' and sales.
It always gets hardest to wait near the end, so I understand. I too hope this game sells, and I think there's a shot for it to carve out some decent numbers, but honestly, I'm not expecting much.

Then again, if it bombs and nothing else NiGHTS ever happens, it's still one more NiGHTS game than I was ever expecting to get.

Mdk7

I know it's not the right topic for this (pardon me mods, it's Xmas! :p), but i wanted to share some NiGHTS love with you guys...
This is something i did today, my second try with the awesome Colors DS...

colors_slot3.png

PS: i do want that japanese plush, ebay here i come!! :D

Innotech

Banned
NiGHTS is awesome because you dont really understand what the fuck it is or why its great until youve played it. People are sitting there scratching their heads when you recall memories of playing it while giggling like a schoolgirl :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
It always gets hardest to wait near the end, so I understand. I too hope this game sells, and I think there's a shot for it to carve out some decent numbers, but honestly, I'm not expecting much.

Then again, if it bombs and nothing else NiGHTS ever happens, it's still one more NiGHTS game than I was ever expecting to get.
I don't expect this to light the charts up like a bonfire but I think it'll do decently. You never know what insane expectations the SEGA guys have though, so it may well be the last we see from Nights. Then again like yourself I never expected JoD to happen as well :D .

Crushed said:
God, Saturn games were just so ugly.

I found this site devoted to Saturn emulation, filled with hundreds of pixel-perfect screenshots. Lord, it makes DS 3D look attractive.

Oh, come on. If you're going to post screenshots that look like that, keep in mind this is how the competition looked:

8evfvcj.png

(Conker's Bad Fur Day, N64)

81is8k1.png

(Metal Gear Solid, PS1)

8by5uo5.png

(GoldenEye, N64

8fynqcw.png

(Einhander, PS1)

NiGHTS on the Saturn was one of the more technologically impressive games for the system with high-res (for the era) textures, multiple colored light sources (which were a HUGE deal back then), and a silky smooth framerate.

Don't just go on the internet and say, "LOL, SATURN SUX, LOOK AT THESE SCREENSHOTS". No, that's just how all games back then looked.

Fuu

Sciz said:
How exactly do you force anti-aliasing in SSF (or whichever emulator you were using at the time)?
This is relevant.

Sega1991 said:
Oh, come on. If you're going to post screenshots that look like that, keep in mind this is how the competition looked:

http://i6.tinypic.com/8evfvcj.png[ /IMG]
(Conker's Bad Fur Day, N64)

[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/81is8k1.png[ /IMG]
(Metal Gear Solid, PS1)

[IMG]http://i15.tinypic.com/8by5uo5.png[ /IMG]
(GoldenEye, N64

[IMG]http://i13.tinypic.com/8fynqcw.png[ /IMG]
(Einhander, PS1)

NiGHTS on the Saturn was one of the more technologically impressive games for the system with high-res (for the era) textures, multiple colored light sources (which were a HUGE deal back then), and a silky smooth framerate.

Don't just go on the internet and say, "LOL, SATURN SUX, LOOK AT THESE SCREENSHOTS". No, that's just how [I]all[/I] games back then looked.[/QUOTE]
Don't give it much attention, it was basically trolling.

And don't forget to mention that those, along with NiGHTS, were all amazing games. :D

Aladuf

Banned
(neutral) Alaluef
(Today, 03:41 PM)
Reply | Quote

Whoa! I was just scrolling down the Gaming Discussion only to see what I thought was my Gaf name in the Nights thread, it's weird that our names are so similar!!

Fuu

Aladuf23 said:
(neutral) Alaluef
(Today, 03:41 PM)
Reply | Quote

Whoa! I was just scrolling down the Gaming Discussion only to see what I thought was my Gaf name in the Nights thread, it's weird that our names are so similar!!
!!

And they probably have very different origins, as mine comes from a crazy internal joke I have with my friends. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Alaluef said:
!!

And they probably have very different origins, as mine comes from a crazy internal joke I have with my friends. :lol

:lol Yeah, mine is my last name backwards with a 23 tacked on the end.

cicero

Segata Sanshiro said:
System Warriors aren't going to be tolerated in this thread, from either "side". All the other NiGHTS threads were shitted up so badly that the mods are keeping a close eye on this one.

So don't cry for someone who popped into the Official NiGHTS thread just to say how much the original NiGHTS looked like shit, Borys. He did it to himself.
I sure hope you haven't abused some kind of burgeoning internet romance with Dragona to keep your thread "clean".

Innotech

Banned
How can anyone call NiGHTS ugly?
What cold black soul must you possess? Nay, you have no soul at all.
You are alien to me. GTFO.

Amir0x

Banned
What pure soul COULDN'T love horrendous textures and ridiculously low geometry and eye-raping pixelation? I mean!

Thank God we're out of the Saturn era, fine for the time but man hallelujah we're passed that. What a blessed thing the Wii version doesn't look like that. Although, if it has a rocky framerate it should still be ashamed!

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:
What pure soul COULDN'T love horrendous textures and ridiculously low geometry and eye-raping pixelation? I mean!

Thank God we're out of the Saturn era, fine for the time but man hallelujah we're passed that. What a blessed thing the Wii version doesn't look like that. Although, if it has a rocky framerate it should still be ashamed!
well the framerate Ill agree with, after playing Galaxy. but for its era, Saturn looked great.
Its definitely a gamer you have to see in motion to appreciate today though. BUT ITS STILL BEAUTIFUL

Amir0x

Banned
Innotech said:
well the framerate Ill agree with, after playing Galaxy. but for its era, Saturn looked great.
Its definitely a gamer you have to see in motion to appreciate today though. BUT ITS STILL BEAUTIFUL

Beautiful in the same way a piece of roadkill is beautiful after it has been decaying for two weeks, I suppose.

In that only fucking freaks or taxidermists can think it's beautiful. At least, that's my theory!

NiGHTS on Wii looks pretty nice if the framerate is solid, so it doesn't need to be bogged in this, but you don't lack a soul if you think the Saturn game is ugly because it is. Fucking disgusting, actually. If i went back in time and erased my memory of every progress we have made in the past decade, maybe I could consider the alternative view.

cicero

Amir0x said:

GO ANTI-SYSTEM WARRIOR, GO!

Sciz

Amir0x said:
Beautiful in the same way a piece of roadkill is beautiful after it has been decaying for two weeks, I suppose.

In that only fucking freaks or taxidermists can think it's beautiful. At least, that's my theory!

NiGHTS on Wii looks pretty nice if the framerate is solid, so it doesn't need to be bogged in this, but you don't lack a soul if you think the Saturn game is ugly because it is. Fucking disgusting, actually. If i went back in time and erased my memory of every progress we have made in the past decade, maybe I could consider the alternative view.

Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:

;_;

Amir0x

Banned
Stopping short of reciting Dr. Seuss, I'll say that it's not the heart - it's these poor eyes. You see, with the help of glasses they are forced to see the PSOne/N64/Saturn generation 3D games for the ugly messes they were. What a tragedy, the gift of good sight :(

I mean seriously, I agree NiGHTS at the time looked pretty good compared to other games in that generation, but we've come so far I don't see what standard it looks good in. I guess if you're a developer or aspiring developer, you can admire on some level what they acheived technically on such a limited platform. But other than that, it's just making excuses for games that are considered classics. The NES controller was ok for the time, but I hope you've all moved passed that as well.

I LOVE NiGHTS, it's one of my favorite all-time games, but I won't make excuses for it. It's ugly as sin now. I am SO looking forward to the PS2 update.

D-X

OK this has been given a firm January release in Europe now rather than Jan/Feb as it was before.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sadly in my probings of the last couple of days it doesn't seem like a release of NiGHTS PS2 is in the cards outside of Japan unless NiGHTS:JoD does some god-like numbers.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a tiny chance of this being an unlockable in the Wii game....maybe, just maybe....probably not, but...

Amir0x

Banned
EviLore said:
Nights Saturn looked amazing at the time.

Yeah at the time it was a nice looking game. I think most people would agree, though, that "at the time" was the optimal phrasing. Anyway, I won't comment anymore on that subject, just had to respond to the statement that I lack a soul if I think it's ugly. That was just a stupid comment.

So NiGHTS Wii! Wow! I hope it's great.

Amir0x

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I just hope the bird thing doesn't ruin what made the original so amazing.

The "bird" thing? What is that... oh you mean the key. I don't think that'd ruin anything, just gotta keep the pace fast.

ivysaur12 said:
I just hope the bird thing doesn't ruin what made the original so amazing.
I'm pretty sure you can still do laps, but the scoring is different with regards to the time bonus. So we'll have to see how it works out. I can respect Iizuka wanting to make a different game from the original NiGHTS, I just hope his changes don't really take away the enjoyable core elements of NiGHTS.

Top Bottom