• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

EDarkness

Looks like a case of "be careful what you wish for". Perhaps it would have been better for Sega to just leave the game alone and just port the original. Perhaps Yuji Naka was right all along.

temjin

Banned
How reliable are Nintendo Power, with giving NiGHTS a 9 (btw, that better be a 9 out of 10 and not 9 out of 100 :lol )

EDarkness said:
Looks like a case of "be careful what you wish for". Perhaps it would have been better for Sega to just leave the game alone and just port the original. Perhaps Yuji Naka was right all along.

Doesn't look like that case at all. The game is getting reviews similar to that of the original.

Jonnyram

CurseoftheGods said:
Doesn't look like that case at all. The game is getting reviews similar to that of the original.
Do you mean that some people like it and some people hate it? Because if so, I should warn you - I loved the Saturn game, and still hoping that the PS2 version rescues my nostalgia, but the Wii game is awful. Like I said, I may give it a bit more time to see if the game itself can hold its own, but my experience so far has been very, very bad.

y2kev said:
But is the gameplay Nightsish?
Yeah, apart from having to catch that stupid bird. Oh, and the level designs are a little, hmm, suspicious. There are a lot of areas where you have to fly through a small gap, but there is so much movement above and below the height of that gate, that it can be difficult to find at times, with little visual cue. That happened a bit in the original too, I know, but it happens a lot more in this.

Jonnyram said:
Do you mean that some people like it and some people hate it? Because if so, I should warn you - I loved the Saturn game, and still hoping that the PS2 version rescues my nostalgia, but the Wii game is awful. Like I said, I may give it a bit more time to see if the game itself can hold its own, but my experience so far has been very, very bad.

Shit. :/

ivysaur12

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Are the actual courses minus the tutorial/voice acting/story/kids/everything else any good?

Ydahs

Jonnyram said:
Heads up... this game is awful, and Sega has raped my memories of the original in the process.

I am NOT amused. I loved the demo at TGS, but they haven't fixed the framerate, and they've added a bunch of unnecessary stuff around the game itself which makes it one of the most offensive gaming experiences this year. DO NOT BELIEVE. I am sorely tempted to take it to a trade store in disgust, but I might also keep playing to see just how deep the anal penetration goes. Oh and you will hurl when you see the realtime cutscenes in this game. Seriously.

:|

On a happier note, I played No More Heroes for the first time last night, and it is all kinds of awesome. It almost washed away the sour taste of the NiGHTS sham.

Edit for gory details: CG cutscenes look awesome, but NiGHTS (and Reala) now speak, and they have terrible voices. All voice acting is in English with Japanese subtitles btw. There is a 10-15 minute long tutorial, hosted by a talking owl who says things like "good", "oh", "visitor" - not sure what that last one is all about. The graphics during these segments are horrendous, sub-PS2, almost PS1. The game has a lobby area from which you enter each zone, so it's a bit like SMG in that respect. There are stages where you have a single run to get as high a link as possible and it ends when the link ends. They suck. Did I mention the graphics blowing in the realtime cutscenes... The music is awesome, but it's pretty hard to screw up NiGHTS music when you are obviously using the original score! Oh and they used some of the original samples too, but used one of them for something totally different and it sounds stupid. Fans beware.

All hope is lost. RIP Sega.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
To think unskippable cut-scenes/horrible VA would ruin this game... come on Sega, a simple option to turn them off would've been nice. :\

Jonnyram

temjin said:
Also, I've read from many other sources that the framerate issues are fixed... heh.
Yeah, on second thoughts, it might not be quite as bad as it was at TGS, but it's not perfect, which is a shame.

EDarkness

CurseoftheGods said:

Impressions from the public is really whats gonna make or break this game and if copies are already showing up used in Japan (which I'll check later today), then that's not good. I do wonder if people have a strange view of what the original NiGHTS was like because I played it a while back and it wasn't anything like I remember it. I think people expectations might be a little too high.

I'm still buying it, though as I said before, I hold Jonny's opinions on games in pretty high regard. Anyway, maybe you'll warm up to it a bit over the next couple of days, Jonny. Please give the heads-up if your feelings on it change.

Only a week left for NA, then many more of us will know exactly how this game is going to settle in for each of us.

temjin

Banned
any other impressions, reviews or just anything?

edit; btw, this is awesome.

night15.jpg

fucking awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Heads up... this game is awful, and Sega has raped my memories of the original in the process.

I am NOT amused. I loved the demo at TGS, but they haven't fixed the framerate, and they've added a bunch of unnecessary stuff around the game itself which makes it one of the most offensive gaming experiences this year. DO NOT BELIEVE. I am sorely tempted to take it to a trade store in disgust, but I might also keep playing to see just how deep the anal penetration goes. Oh and you will hurl when you see the realtime cutscenes in this game. Seriously.

On a happier note, I played No More Heroes for the first time last night, and it is all kinds of awesome. It almost washed away the sour taste of the NiGHTS sham.

Edit for gory details: CG cutscenes look awesome, but NiGHTS (and Reala) now speak, and they have terrible voices. All voice acting is in English with Japanese subtitles btw. There is a 10-15 minute long tutorial, hosted by a talking owl who says things like "good", "oh", "visitor" - not sure what that last one is all about. The graphics during these segments are horrendous, sub-PS2, almost PS1. The game has a lobby area from which you enter each zone, so it's a bit like SMG in that respect. There are stages where you have a single run to get as high a link as possible and it ends when the link ends. They suck. Did I mention the graphics blowing in the realtime cutscenes... The music is awesome, but it's pretty hard to screw up NiGHTS music when you are obviously using the original score! Oh and they used some of the original samples too, but used one of them for something totally different and it sounds stupid. Fans beware.

It's weird because for a while it seemed like Sega was on a comeback with quality software left and right. But this just seems like Sega of 2000s again :\

They need to make a new Shinobi game and bring their quality level back up!

Mdk7

I've always said that this was gonna be a fucking trainwreck (despite Lobster's and Segata's insults! :lol ), and i am really sorry to see i was right.
The whole project was born under some WRONG decisions: you fucking cannot bring a top notch franchise like this (Into Dreams is the best game of all time IMHO) back by spending a pretty low budget and just 10 months on it, expecially if you are the nowadays Sega.
And remember what Iizuka said when they announced it, the fact that the game was being devoloped for Wii because of the unprecedented controller possibilities and blablabla: how come this whole aspect of it -something that should have been the most important asset for a NiGHTS sequel- is COMPLETE SHIT?
Plus there's the whole art direction thing, something that may be a little subjective but that has always quite disturbed me due to the shift from the uniqueness of the original to the generic disney style of JoD (and i'll never forget/forgive the new beefed samurai Reala).

We've been waiting ELEVEN years, if this is the result... Sega shouldn't have really bothered.

All this said, i'm still gonna buy it on day one... Just to see how much Sega can rape my beloved dreams. :(

EDIT: Of course thanks Jonny for the hands on.

Chao

I've been playing this game a couple of hours.
My first impressions are:

-TOO FUCKING MUCH POINTLESS CUTSCENES.
-Cutscenes models sucks hard, they are SO ugly, NiGHTS' face is fucking creepy.
-The controls feel a little unresponsive for me. In the original NiGHTS I remember myself nailing every ring and linking a lot of them, but I find the controls in this one a bit harder.
-Now every level has different missions, most of them kind of boring. The ranking system it's not like in the original Nights, where you could stay flying through the level until the very last second collecting blue chips and linking. Now it's more the faster you can finish the level or something, I don't really get it yet. Missions with the kids walking around suck really hard.
-The "My Dream" thing with the A Life system it's pointless, it's not like Chaos in Sonic Adventure, you almost can't interact with the Nightopians, other than carrying them from place to place. Also, the garden is HORRID.

+One of the levels, the Glass garden or something like that, looks really great. The game looks nice if you forget the cutscenes.
+Music is great too, many catchy tunes, but not as great as the original. The music in the character selection screen is the same you heard on the original NiGHTS, it made me smile.
+The persona masks thing looks interesting, I'd have to play more to tell

I don't know if the game sucks or not yet, but don't get your hopes very high guys, although it looks like it is a decent (but not awesome) sequel.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I will not ruin my love for NiGHTS by buying this garbage. Thanks for taking one for the team Jonny.

Man, I'm bummed to hear they've bogged it down with superfluous content and made seemingly arbitrary changes to the way you progress. Those are two of my pet peeves in sequels. The original NiGHTS was all about flow and the immediacy of the gameplay and it sounds like they fucked those elements up. It's always painful when you realize a game would be better if only the developer had the good sense to take some of the fluff to the chopping block.

Damn. I was holding out hope for this one. I guess I'll wait for more impressions to roll in.

Chao

Lobster said:
I say we should wait for more impressions, especially Segatas..even if we have to wait.

I'm a HUGE fan of NiGHTS, and the game isn's as good as the original, there's no question.
At this moment, Christmas NiGHTS (yes, the one level special disk) is way better than what I've played of JOD.
It's sad, but it's true, and it's Sega, you know, the people who brought us Shadow the Hedgehog and SONIC 06 after all... :(

Lobster

Banned
Chao said:
I'm a HUGE fan of NiGHTS, and the game isn's as good as the original, there's no question.
At this moment, Christmas NiGHTS (yes, the one level special disk) is way better than what I've played of JOD.
It's sad, but it's true, and it's Sega, you know, the people who brought us Shadow the Hedgehog and SONIC 06 after all... :(

:(

temjin

Banned
Chao said:
can you elaborate?

what do you like? what dont you like? is it completely unplayable etc?

please! details man!

>.>

AniHawk

Chao said:

Well, more specifically, it's the same exact team that brought us Shadow and Sonic PS360.

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well, more specifically, it's the same exact team that brought us Shadow and Sonic PS360.

Even more specifically..they're the same exact team who brought us the original NiGHTS...

Chao

temjin said:
can you elaborate?

what do you like? what dont you like? is it completely unplayable etc?

please! details man!

>.>

Exactly this, i'll post more impressions when i get further into the game.

Chao said:
I've been playing this game a couple of hours.
My first impressions are:

-TOO FUCKING MUCH POINTLESS CUTSCENES.
-Cutscenes models sucks hard, they are SO ugly, NiGHTS' face is fucking creepy.
-The controls feel a little unresponsive for me. In the original NiGHTS I remember myself nailing every ring and linking a lot of them, but I find the controls in this one a bit harder.
-Now every level has different missions, most of them kind of boring. The ranking system it's not like in the original Nights, where you could stay flying through the level until the very last second collecting blue chips and linking. Now it's more the faster you can finish the level or something, I don't really get it yet. Missions with the kids walking around suck really hard.
-The "My Dream" thing with the A Life system it's pointless, it's not like Chaos in Sonic Adventure, you almost can't interact with the Nightopians, other than carrying them from place to place. Also, the garden is HORRID.

+One of the levels, the Glass garden or something like that, looks really great. The game looks nice if you forget the cutscenes.
+Music is great too, many catchy tunes, but not as great as the original. The music in the character selection screen is the same you heard on the original NiGHTS, it made me smile.
+The persona masks thing looks interesting, I'd have to play more to tell

I don't know if the game sucks or not yet, but don't get your hopes very high guys, although it looks like it is a decent (but not awesome) sequel.

temjin

Banned
thanks.

the positives sound great, and the negatives... are things that dont really matter; cutscenes, my dream, voices, etc.

as long as the gameplay stands up, im not too worried.

Chao

temjin said:
thanks.

the positives sound great, and the negatives... are things that dont really matter; cutscenes, my dream, voices, etc.

as long as the gameplay stands up, im not too worried.

The worst part concerning the cutscenes is that you can't skip them. You have to watch a very long introduction which is almost exactly the same thing for both characters, and then, cutscenes before the levels.

Why? Why couldn't they just keep everything the same, rather than forcing in platforming, cutscenes & changing the scoring system? All they had to do was replicate the same bloody gameplay with new stages & decent controls/aesthetics and I would've been happy. God fucking dammit, Sonic Team. Can't you do anything right?

Innotech

Banned
Jonnyram said:

it sounds different, but from what you wrote there Id hesitate to call it "awful". I guess because some of those issues arent really bothersome to me. If the linking works differently I guess Ill have to play and decide if I like the games system.

Chao

FallenAngelV said:
Why? Why couldn't they just keep everything the same, rather than forcing in platforming, cutscenes & changing the scoring system? All they had to do was replicate the same bloody gameplay with new stages & decent controls/aesthetics and I would've been happy. God fucking dammit, Sonic Team. Can't you do anything right?

It reminds me a lot of the StarFox64/StarFox Assault case. The original formula was perfect, don't mess with it.

Top Bottom