• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Realtime.jpg

What is Real Time with Bill Maher?: It is a talk show that focuses primarily on American politics, but also focuses on situations that trouble the world as well. Personally I have a bit of a hard time stating that it is a talk show as the show has a bit of variety to it. It also contains a bit of stand up comedy as well as an interview segment. The show is known for its hard hitting topics and head-on-shoulders points.

Who is Bill Maher?: He is a popular comedian, political satirist, and talk show host. He use to host his show "Politically Incorrect" on ABC until he made a light comment shortly 9/11 while the country was still in hysteria.

Who is the show targeted to?: The show tries to keep a diverse panel, now more than ever, as it usually has two conservative panelists and two liberal ones. However I would be lying if the show clearly doesn't target the left. In short if you describe yourself as a liberal or libertarian you should enjoy this show. However if you're a conservative this isn't the show for you. Regardless though give it a watch. Its great.

When can I watch it?: The show plays live on HBO every Friday at 11:00PM Eastern/10:00PM Central.

Any extra stuff?: New Rules and Overtime are avaliable at HBO.com/real-time-with-bill-maher.

Previous Episode: Actor Richard Belzer, Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren, columnist Dan Neil, author Annabelle Gurwitch, activist Erica Williams

Next Episode: Actress Ellen Page, columnist David Brooks, former Governor Ed Rendell (D-PA), Newsweek Editor-in-Chief Tina Brown.

His guests are usually great and it more often than not leads into a good discussion, but I had to stop watching because Bill as a host is absolutely the most insufferable ignoramus of modern science.

I don't know if it's something that has slowly developed over the years and it only started grating on me as it became more salient on topics like vaccines, the economics of energy production or even basic nutrition (he refuses to eat frozen spinach, apparently), but it's become completely unlistenable.

On the plus side, HBO has the show as a downloadable podcast for free. Unfortunate when he does a bit that is dependent on visual gags, but for a while, it was a nice thing to listen to at the office.

meltingparappa said:
His guests are usually great and it more often than not leads into a good discussion, but I had to stop watching because Bill as a host is absolutely the most insufferable ignoramus of modern science.

I don't know if it's something that has slowly developed over the years and it only started grating on me as it became more salient on topics like vaccines, the economics of energy production or even basic nutrition (he refuses to eat frozen spinach, apparently), but it's become completely unlistenable.

On the plus side, HBO has the show as a downloadable podcast for free. Unfortunate when he does a bit that is dependent on visual gags, but for a while, it was a nice thing to listen to at the office.

Great to hear. And yeah Bill isn't the ideal host. I do get annoyed with his anti-islamism. I mean I get what he's saying, but I hate it how he badgers the people he interviews. That being said, it's as I said, I think the show is better than many other political shows that fall into the same crap.

Bill Maher can be abrasive certainly, but most of the time I find his arguments to be on point. I find all the bullshit in politics frustrating and tedious, so perhaps that's why I don't mind the confrontational tone.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love Bill, and I've been watching him since the Politically Incorrect show in the 90s... even though he can often be a petulant little troll. If he was on GAF, he'd be one of those troll atheists/liberals who insists on the most cartoonishly evil/stupid view of his opponents. But I still really like him as a voice. I love the show.. It's endlessly fascinating.

Wow so much hate on Maher.

Anybody watch the latest episode?

BocoDragon said:
I love Bill, and I've been watching him since the Politically Incorrect show in the 90s... even though he can often be a petulant little troll. If he was on GAF, he'd be one of those troll atheists/liberals who insists on the most cartoonishly evil/stupid view of his opponents. But I still really like him as a voice. I love the show.. It's endlessly fascinating.

Pretty much my thoughts. Maher is essentially the average GAF political poster. Its like if speculawyer had his own show.

I agree, despite these facts, its easily one of the best political shows on television. It's either play nice and play software ball, or play slightly troll and play hardball.

Scarecrow

The podcast version of the show has been skipping a lot for me the last few weeks. Very annoying.

It's a great show, though.

I stopped listening to him when he nearly choked and went into a hissy fit when a guest said during an interview that the US shouldn't use its ressources to help Israel in their conflict with Palestine or any other military conflict.

Even if he has interesting points on various subjects, all I see now is one of 'those' guys who think Israel is a super-duper nation that's open to change, different views and that they are always the victim.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I love Maher. I think his guests were awful this week, particularly Belzer.

I really dislike when he has conservatives on. Only the dumb talking point machines come on generally and it just derails discussion.

The point about not trusting nuclear because it operates via lots of controlled explosions...hope she doesn't drive a FUCKING CAR.

Mister Wilhelm said:
One of the only shows that makes me miss having cable.
For me this is it. Every other show I can watch online when it comes out, or wait awhile and catch the full season without caring about the wait. This is the only show I can't do that for, and it really makes me wish I had some HBO.

Y2Kev said:

I really dislike when he has conservatives on. Only the dumb talking point machines come on generally and it just derails discussion.

The point about not trusting nuclear because it operates via lots of controlled explosions...hope she doesn't drive a FUCKING CAR.

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong I'm all for variety but most of the right in general just has there screws loose. I'd like to see more moderate rights but I hate it when he has tea partiers or super conservatives on there.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have watched every episode since the beginning

Fun to listen, never take it real seriously

Good jokes in there, some very ice cold, some Jay Leno schlock standard

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I enjoy his show somewhat, and I want to be a fan of his, but he is just too much a dipshit. He ruins every great point he makes by being just as much of a tool as the right winger talking heads he bitches about.

siddx said:
He ruins every great point he makes by being just as much of a tool as the right winger talking heads he bitches about.

I wouldn't go that far.

Maher is just very stubborn to the point of being a slight troll.

Again I seem him as a PoliGAF poster.

Dr Prob

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think his guests were awful this week, particularly Belzer.

Agreed. Belzer was insufferable with his constant "NYAAAAH!" or whatever noise he was making whenever Maher or the final lady panelist there made a comment that even approached being mildly humorous.

As for Maher: I agree with him on many issues yet find him really unlikeable, bordering on douchey.

Still, glad that he has a show.

Just watched the episode. It was alright and wasn't the best.

The guy with the glasses was incredibly annoying at times while his counter persona was quite well informed.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't agree with everything Bill says, but I sure love his show when he has an interesting panel, and New Rules is great. Bill seems to be of the few remaining TV hosts who spits piss and vinegar because that's what he's truly thinking and not just because it's good for ratings.

Y2Kev said:

I really dislike when he has conservatives on. Only the dumb talking point machines come on generally and it just derails discussion. .

Belzer should have put the mask back on and shut up. He talked and talked but said nothing.

I like it when there are conservatives so there is real debate.

.GqueB.

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Just watched the episode. It was alright and wasn't the best.

The guy with the glasses was incredibly annoying at times while his counter persona was quite well informed.
He was talking too much. At one point during the special guest interview, Bill shot him a bit of a look.

I do enjoy Bill Maher but there are some things he does that just annoys me:

1. When hes not right he changes the subject. He does this time and time again. If hes not right or someone calls him out on something he says, he changes the subject.
2. Insults his audience. So what they clap for you. Dont insult them for it. There was an instance a few years ago (you can google) where he actually told them to shut up. He doesnt respect his audience at times.
3. Brings up shit that he clearly has an agenda on just so he can say his piece. This is all well and good but its clear in some instances that he doesnt want to start a discussion, he just wants to talk.

ie: Arent there more crazies on the right? I mean come on, lets be honest.

And I generally hate the first 20 minutes. His monologues are terrible and the first guest is always awkward. I always fast forward. Love when Cornell West is on though. So eloquent. And Russell Simmons was a welcome surprise. Kevin Smith was a disaster.

And dont get me started on Dr. Tyson. One of the best special guests hes had in a while.

I have watched since the start on HBO.

I respect the conservatives that show up to this kind of environment but like Y2Kev said it is usually bad for the show.

Agreed with the general sentiment about him as a host... he does come across as a real asshole a lot of the time, even when he's making good points. The panel discussion is usually really engaging, though. I wish they had more of that -- his monologues really don't do much for me.

Scarecrow said:
The podcast version of the show has been skipping a lot for me the last few weeks. Very annoying.

It's a great show, though.
Yeah, same here. It does the same thing on my phone and my PC, so it must just be a crappy encoding.

Edit: Yeah, the Neil deGrasse Tyson episode was great. That guy is always a joy to listen to.

He has fantastic guests, but he's starting to talk about the same shit over and over, especially when it come to the Food and Drug Administration. He needs a new format or something, it's gotten stale. New Rules, followed by the monologue is some tired shit.

lexi

Banned
I love the show and generally agree with Maher on pretty much every point he makes. He is ruthless when it comes to Islam and doesn't pull any punches. This is off-putting to a lot of people, myself included. He is spot on when it comes to the current political climate in America, the false equivalency, etc.

He is an asshole, but that side of politics needs an asshole. He has an anger about him that I really admire.

Ellen Page is on next week? Yes.

Anyway how's the OP now?

Fusebox said:
I don't agree with everything Bill says, but I sure love his show when he has an interesting panel, and New Rules is great. Bill seems to be of the few remaining TV hosts who spits piss and vinegar because that's what he's truly thinking and not just because it's good for ratings.

And can we get a banner up in this OP?!

Banner up. And yeah I agree with this whole post.

lexi said:
He is an asshole, but that side of politics needs an asshole. He has an anger about him that I really admire.

I wouldn't say he's an asshole. He's more of a douche. I wouldn't say he is a douche, but he does get borderline. But again it's really hard to find someone to be ballsy with politics and be laid back.

.GqueB. said:
3. Brings up shit that he clearly has an agenda on just so he can say his piece. This is all well and good but its clear in some instances that he doesnt want to start a discussion, he just wants to talk.

This shits the worst. The other two I can accept because point 2 occurs very rarely, so much so that one could just use the excuse that he probably just had a bad day. While point 1 is just standard interviewing procedure. However point 3 is unacceptable. Especially when it correlates with Islam and Muslims. WE GET IT BILL, THE POINT YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT MUSLIM EXTREMISTS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE THAN CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BADGER THE PEOPLE YOU INTERVIEW EVERY TIME THE TOPIC HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH MUSLIMS.

Another watcher since the beginning and back to Politically Correct. It is a great show, one of the few I've stayed consistent on watching through the years even though I tend to lose the thread on other shows I've perhaps enjoyed more.

This week was pretty bad due to Belzer, the other week due to for some insane reason having that Tea Party woman back on for a second time----but the Catholic Church PV spot was GOLD.

He gets bizarrely turned around on stuff he should know better on here and there, but there's always hope for progress I reckon.

My biggest issue is that there is nothing like the show when they are on break. For years, I've harbored the dream of an uncensored PBS equivalent show that would air during those chunks of months with a similar runtime or greater. Yeah, I know, it is nice to harbor things. : /

He's kind of hard to watch sometimes. Half the time he's amazing, and the other half he acts like a liberal troll.

EDIT: Seems I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

Though I enjoy his conversations he's too much of a tool at times. He misplace facts at times and needs to be corrected by his panel.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
He makes so many good points, but he comes off as an arrogant holier-than-thou prick in doing so.

I like his political discussions, but fuck does he ever get preachy and one-sided when it comes to Israel, the environment, and animal rights.

Flying_Phoenix said:
While I agree that Maher has his obnoxious moments, I think the hate for him is a little too great in this thread.
I still like the guy in general and am glad he's doing what he's doing, but I would prefer he took a more understanding approach like Jon Stewart. I appreciate Maher's passion for the issues, but the show could be better without some of the stuff like .GqueB. mentioned.

Shapingo said:
The whole show? I can only get new rules and overtime.
It should be everything. Only New Rules is in video form.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/real-time-with-bill-maher/id98746009

rohlfinator said:
I still like the guy in general and am glad he's doing what he's doing, but I would prefer he took a more understanding approach like Jon Stewart. I appreciate Maher's passion for the issues, but the show could be better without some of the stuff like .GqueB. mentioned.

I agree, but its like I said, its hard to find someone who can play hardball without them coming off as arrogant at times.

Barrett2

I listen every week, but it's hit-or-miss. Sometimes Maher goes off the rails, other times an obnoxious Republican or overly-liberal celeb guest will.

What the fuck is up with the iTunes feed? It constantly skips. Unlistenable.

harSon

Banned
He's entertaining as long as he's not on the subject of vaccines, animals, food, or Israel. He also goes a bit overboard with his anti-religion rhetoric from time to time. Otherwise, I tend to enjoy his show.

SketchTheArtist said:
I stopped listening to him when he nearly choked and went into a hissy fit when a guest said during an interview that the US shouldn't use its ressources to help Israel in their conflict with Palestine or any other military conflict.

There must be a video of this, right?

Muffdraul

meltingparappa said:

Heartily agree, though I manage to grin and bear it rather than stop watching. His attitude towards religion is his one and only saving grace, for me.

speculawyer said:
Belzer should have put the mask back on and shut up. He talked and talked but said nothing.

I like it when there are conservatives so there is real debate.

He sounded ignorant trying to blame nuclear for the huge increases in cancer rates from the last several decades.
Maher corrected him and brought up lifestyle and diet, and the other guy mentioned how pollution from coal kills ways more than nuclear. No doubt if you live near a plant with an accident, such as Chernobyl, there will be cancer clusters, but Belzer didn't distinguish between that phenomenon and the macro increase.

So yeah I managed to watch this weeks episode.

Pretty good one overall. Very good panel.

Though I was annoyed by the Amabo skit as it was way overstayed.

Also Ellen Page was super hot.

Top Bottom