• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Steel 2 thread of nearly 1:1 sword slashing

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
sfried said:
Question guys:

Is it worth the $40?

While the game structure is extremely crude, sword combat never, ever got old for me. It was just so satisfying. The game is definitely worth a shot.

Shiggy

sfried said:
Question guys:

Is it worth the $40?

I don't think so. But then again, you can get the Red Steel 2 MotionPlus bundle for less than the official price of the MotionPlus-only accessory (20 Pounds).

Sagitario

heringer said:
Very much worth it. The combat is so addictive I already finished the game 3 times.

I really really like the Bear move...

I find it funny and stupid that the game basically throws at you A LOT of money in the final area [point of absolutely no return] and there's no shop/dojo to be found there... so if you didn't spend the cash and upgraded your armor/guns/katana/etc before that, you're screwed...

I spammed the Dragon early and got the money to upgrade everything, which made the game really fun to play...

I wish there was a mode to replay areas...

Sagitario said:
I really really like the Bear move...

I find it funny and stupid that the game basically throws at you A LOT of money in the final area [point of absolutely no return] and there's no shop/dojo to be found there... so if you didn't spend the cash and upgraded your armor/guns/katana/etc before that, you're screwed...

I spammed the Dragon early and got the money to upgrade everything, which made the game really fun to play...

I wish there was a mode to replay areas...
Well there's the challenge mode, except those suck because you have to repeat the tutorials, but they removed all the shops so you can't buy any upgrades you missed (although you didn't miss any, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just picked this up for $30 along with PoP:TFS brand new for Wii. Not a bad deal imo considering I got 2 Wii games for the price of 1 PS3/360 game. Anyway, here are my impressions:

Presentation - Wow. This is one of the best looking games on Wii thanks to fantastic art direction. I love the character designs. The effects are unique too. Everything from fire, smoke and the blur from your sword swing look really good. I do think the water could look better and the buildings are a bit flat, but it works. The music is fitting too. It definitely has a "Western" feel in terms of the old movies. The game is very well put together and pretty seamless with load times. Everything comes together very well.

Gameplay - Now I've got some criticism. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see how motion plus is required for this game. I'll admit that I'm still very early in the game (just reached the girl) but so far I'm a bit disappointed with the controls. For starters, it looks like there are only 3 primary moves you can do with your sword - vertical slice, horizontal slice and stabs. I was expecting more 1:1 sword play especially judging by the thread title, but so far these are the only moves I can make. In addition, I can only do a horizontal slice from the right to the left. There is no swinging from left to right and no diagonal swinging. On top of all of this, I find that the moves don't always register. In the end, I just have to swing the sword and hope something works, but the game is sadly missing the precision I thought it would have.

Despite the flaws in the motion controls, they would be a lot more bearable if the game had a better combat system. I commend Ubisoft for trying something new, but I don't understand why developers don't go with what works in games like this, which is "Z-targeting." Yes, I know it's copying Zelda and Metroid Prime, but the game is already doing that for combat and you know what? Those controls work! It's frustrating because there is an automatic targeting system. This works fine for gun fights, but for swords not so much. The problem is that you can do a swing (either vertical or horizontal) and it will throw the camera off (looking at the ground or to the left depending on which swing you used) which requires you to point the Wiimote back at the screen to get your bearings back. It's not a game breaker, but it's such an easy remedy I don't know why they didn't use it.

Lastly is the HUD. I really wish developers would give players an option for toggling the HUD on and off. Maybe it's the resolution of the Wii, but I find a lot of Wii games, the HUD takes up a significant amount of screen space. An option to turn it off would make the gaming experience more pleasurable imo. So far the game doesn't use the 1, 2 or C button, but it seems to me like that would be an excellent way to do this.

Now despite all the complaints, I'm still liking the game. I can see that there are other weapons/upgrades to unlock so I hope the game is rewarding in that sense. I love games that reward you for looking for stuff. With that said, I really hope they make a Red Steel 3 and fix the controls. This game is very close to being something special. There aren't a whole lot of Wii games that get it right, but they are so close with this one. If they can address all of these issues, I think the third time just might be the charm.

gamingeek

MadOdorMachine said:
I just picked this up for $30 along with PoP:TFS brand new for Wii. Not a bad deal imo considering I got 2 Wii games for the price of 1 PS3/360 game. Anyway, here are my impressions:

Presentation - Wow. This is one of the best looking games on Wii thanks to fantastic art direction. I love the character designs. The effects are unique too. Everything from fire, smoke and the blur from your sword swing look really good. I do think the water could look better and the buildings are a bit flat, but it works. The music is fitting too. It definitely has a "Western" feel in terms of the old movies. The game is very well put together and pretty seamless with load times. Everything comes together very well.

Gameplay - Now I've got some criticism. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see how motion plus is required for this game. I'll admit that I'm still very early in the game (just reached the girl) but so far I'm a bit disappointed with the controls. For starters, it looks like there are only 3 primary moves you can do with your sword - vertical slice, horizontal slice and stabs. I was expecting more 1:1 sword play especially judging by the thread title, but so far these are the only moves I can make. In addition, I can only do a horizontal slice from the right to the left. There is no swinging from left to right and no diagonal swinging. On top of all of this, I find that the moves don't always register. In the end, I just have to swing the sword and hope something works, but the game is sadly missing the precision I thought it would have.

Despite the flaws in the motion controls, they would be a lot more bearable if the game had a better combat system. I commend Ubisoft for trying something new, but I don't understand why developers don't go with what works in games like this, which is "Z-targeting." Yes, I know it's copying Zelda and Metroid Prime, but the game is already doing that for combat and you know what? Those controls work! It's frustrating because there is an automatic targeting system. This works fine for gun fights, but for swords not so much. The problem is that you can do a swing (either vertical or horizontal) and it will throw the camera off (looking at the ground or to the left depending on which swing you used) which requires you to point the Wiimote back at the screen to get your bearings back. It's not a game breaker, but it's such an easy remedy I don't know why they didn't use it.

Lastly is the HUD. I really wish developers would give players an option for toggling the HUD on and off. Maybe it's the resolution of the Wii, but I find a lot of Wii games, the HUD takes up a significant amount of screen space. An option to turn it off would make the gaming experience more pleasurable imo. So far the game doesn't use the 1, 2 or C button, but it seems to me like that would be an excellent way to do this.

Now despite all the complaints, I'm still liking the game. I can see that there are other weapons/upgrades to unlock so I hope the game is rewarding in that sense. I love games that reward you for looking for stuff. With that said, I really hope they make a Red Steel 3 and fix the controls. This game is very close to being something special. There aren't a whole lot of Wii games that get it right, but they are so close with this one. If they can address all of these issues, I think the third time just might be the charm.

It sounds like your motionplus unit is funky or you haven't calibrated it correctly.

You can slice any way you want, including diagonally. Also set your lock to manual and when not locked on hold it told before slashing at crates etc.

gamingeek said:
It sounds like your motionplus unit is funky or you haven't calibrated it correctly.

You can slice any way you want, including diagonally. Also set your lock to manual and when not locked on hold it told before slashing at crates etc.

Outside of the usual Ubisoft glitches I ran into in the game every now and then my nunchuck would disconnect and I would be walking forward without tilting the stick. Is this a flaw with the Motion Plus or a symptom of low batteries?

(I'm fully willing to blame Ubisoft for faulty programming.)

gamingeek

Silver_DNA said:
Outside of the usual Ubisoft glitches I ran into in the game every now and then my nunchuck would disconnect and I would be walking forward without tilting the stick. Is this a flaw with the Motion Plus or a symptom of low batteries?

(I'm fully willing to blame Ubisoft for faulty programming.)

It's your motionplus unit. Some have problems putting through the nunchuk port. Get it replaced/repaired.

Check if your chuk works with other wii games (without motionplus plugged in) if it does then its your motionplus add on.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can slash at any angle you want in Red Steel 2. It'll also do more or less damage to enemies depending on how hard you swipe your Wiimote. Is your Motion Plus plugged in all the way or something?

So I beat this game over the weekend.

Pros:
-graphics: simply beautiful
-combat: satisfying, lots of variety and awesome-looking moves
-controls: mostly precise, I had trouble with targeting though (set it to manual yet had difficulty switching targets and targeting some gunners)

Cons:
-not enough things to do: I sort of wished for a jump button because it would've unlocked a lot more in the game. Hand-holding platforming wasn't terribly fun
-plot is very linear; sidequests uninteresting and repetitive. Even when you entered a new area it's always "find this safe house, followed by this one, and then do this". I was glad they had a timed part but it could've used a couple more wrinkles like that (
fighting the Guan Do in the mine while your health was decreasing was nice
).
-lack of NPC's; the
"ghost town"
is really no different from any other town
-lack of interactions with NPC's: it would be awesome to go hunting with the Sheriff, train against Jian, actually save Tamiko rather than just kill the enemies outside
-some environments are reused
-no way to spend extra money (from challenges), and no tracking of sheriff stars and tokens
-basically zero replay value: no new game+, no shop
-game seems short while compared to others, but after
the train part, I just wanted to get to the end
-cutscenes on the whole are nicely done, but more non-combat scenes would be nice (e.g.
Shinjiro repairing his blade, finding the meteor, graves of the Kusagari?
)

Pyrokai

Epic bump, I know buuutttt.....

I'm having some really big issues controlling the motion katana. It's really difficult for me. I just can't seem to get anything right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Did anyone else have a hard time with the controls at first? Just wondering if I'm alone on this one....

Pyrokai said:

I'm having some really big issues controlling the motion katana. It's really difficult for me. I just can't seem to get anything right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Did anyone else have a hard time with the controls at first? Just wondering if I'm alone on this one....

mmmno, not really. I found the sword controls very easy. Just make sure your swings are broad, not necessarily hard. Long clean swings register better than anything short or frantic. Also, you have the motion plus plugged in yes? If you still have problems maybe fiddle with the sensitivity settings in the game? Otherwise, maybe you have a screwy wiimote or motion plus unit.

gamingeek

Pyrokai said:

Try setting lock on to manual and always hold down Z when you swing. Also try altering the swing strength in the options to relaxed.

Woo hoo! I just picked this up at my local Target for $25, with the motion plus adapter. Can't wait to play it this weekend( my wife already wrapped it and made it a present for me).
It was on one of those clearance racks, unadvertised.

I've been playing through this again recently, and it's just as much goddamn fun as I remember it. The fact that this sold so little is a real heartbreaker. You can tell how much love went into it, even if the budget and/or time constraints were somewhat constrictive. Honestly, it's my favorite-playing action game this gen.

Playing through it again inspired me to look around for info on a possible sequel. There was that vitality sensor rumor back in April, and, more recently, a Dutch source linked to on Wikipedia claiming that Jason Vandenberghe (who is fucking awesome) being "enthusiastic" about a sequel but that it "will not be a Wii-Exclusive making use of the the vitality sensor".

Source: http://www.ng-gamer.nl/game-nieuws/11859_geruchtenkiller-red-steel-3-nog-even-niet/

Can't really blame them for not going the Wii exclusive route again. Really disappointed at the audience. Been a Wii owner since day one and games like this are the types of games I envisioned when I first saw it, but the audience just doesn't seem to be responding. Either way, it looks like it raises hope for a potential sequel. Sorry if old, but searched and didn't see anything on it.

Epic Bump.

Just bought this game with the wii motion plus.
I always wanted to play it and i also wnated the wiimotion plus for Zelda..

So what did GAf think of this game? (don't worry, i'll read this thread).

Effect

I really enjoyed it. Wish there was a bit more to do then fighting but it was fun. Ubisoft shouldn't have named this Red Steel 2 but something elset. Overall it's a solid game and a good buy.

Alrus

It was enjoyable but a bit shallow. Lack of multiplayer was a bit disappointing as the game is quite short.

Still I loved the artstyle and setting, it would be cool if they made another one with more polish... (They'll never make another one :( )

Alrus said:
It was enjoyable but a bit shallow. Lack of multiplayer was a bit disappointing as the game is quite short.

Still I loved the artstyle and setting, it would be cool if they made another one with more polish... (They'll never make another one :( )
Why not?

Before you play the game, make sure to do the proper stretches!

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421073957/m/2631020648

I very much enjoyed it. I think it could go down in history as one of the most improved sequels of all time. Red Steel 2 and the Metroid Prime Trilogy are among the only FP games I really like, though unfortunately it doesn't reach the greatness of the original Metroid Prime.

One thing I have to say about the game is that it is undoubtedly the best use of motion controls in a game, and undoubtedly the best first person melee combat system to date. I really liked the aspects of it. While "The Tiger" counter is over powered, all of the abilities and special attacks are fun and a blast to use.

There are some legitimate critiques about the game play. The difficulty curve is broken. Once you get The Tiger the game becomes extremely easy even on the hardest difficulty. Also, the side quests are repetitive, there are a few too many "Destroy these wanted posters" quests. The game would have benefited greatly with a more Elder Scrolls approach to questing.

Also, while the bosses are decent, there are too few of them and they lack variety. If they ever make another game they should take note of Trigun and use the Gung-Ho Guns as inspiration.

The art and graphics are very good. However, I do feel that it uses too much orange in it's color pallet and environments.

Overall its good, but it's missing just a few things away from being quite possibly one of the all time greats.

Always-honest said:

It sold very poorly.

I'm guilty of not buying the game new, but I loved what I had played of the game (on Hard difficulty). The game was supposed to deliver proper motion swordfighting, and it did exactly that. It's a huge shame that other games didn't go this direction in proper movement based swordfighting and improve on what Red Steel 2 began.

Top Bottom