• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, I am back in the Mercenaries groove in this game and it is GREAT! It's so addicting and fun trying to kill ever enemy on each level to get that double S rank. I just had a 2 hour play session of Mercenaries Reunion and my god, it was so fucking good. <3 this game.

Sectus

Grimm Fandango said:
Is there any way to host this game on PC without using Live? Been having connection issues with a friend. Steam version also.
It's possible if you use system link via hamachi, but it's a hassle. It might be easier to resolve whatever problems you're having (probably port related).

AEREC

Playing RE4 in HD has gotten me back into playing through RE5...while it isnt even half the game RE4 was...it's still a decent game and still looks better than most games out today.

Anyone still playing versus mode in this...Im guessing getting the achievements for that is going to be a bitch.

I gotta say, I love the gameplay in Resident Evil 5 (I have to pretty much considering how much I loved RE4), but what really brings the game down, in my opinion, is that it tries WAY too hard to copy RE4 almost level for level. Hell, most of the stuff that happens feels like a remake of RE4.

Apoc87

Banned
Is it true that there is no saving/check points in Lost in nightmares? Do you really have to play it all the way through in one sitting? 360 version.

Santiako

Apoc87 said:
Is it true that there is no saving/check points in Lost in nightmares? Do you really have to play it all the way through in one sitting? 360 version.
Yes, it's true. But it's not very long.

AEREC

The Mana Legend said:
I gotta say, I love the gameplay in Resident Evil 5 (I have to pretty much considering how much I loved RE4), but what really brings the game down, in my opinion, is that it tries WAY too hard to copy RE4 almost level for level. Hell, most of the stuff that happens feels like a remake of RE4.

I didnt feel that way at all...can you give some examples?

I actually would have liked it more if they copied and expanded on RE4's mechanics and levels, and basically made it RE4.5 with updated graphics.

AEREC

Just picked this up on PS3 to play with the Move, thinking it would be easier, but it seems much harder to me, maybe I just need to get use to the controls.

Also, kinda dissapointed to see that the PS3 version looks much worse and runs at a shitty framerate compared to the 360 version.

Thinking about picking this up on PC now, I just dont like the big ugly crosshairs you have to use with M/K.

Mr_Zombie

AEREC said:
Thinking about picking this up on PC now, I just dont like the big ugly crosshairs you have to use with M/K.

There's a mod that replaces the crosshair with a laser sight even if you use M/K.

AEREC

Mr_Zombie said:
There's a mod that replaces the crosshair with a laser sight even if you use M/K.

Id rather not use a mod...I was hoping there was an ini file that could be edited or something.

Sorry for the bump, but what are some interesting mods to check out for the PC version? Is there a good site I can check for some? I only really know of the one that removes the greenish filter (anyone got a link?). I'm also kind of interested in shirtless Chris *cough.*

Zep

Banned
So a friend and I beat the story mode in co-op(gold edition). Problem is, he didn't unlock any of the special features like Lost in Nightmares or Mercenaries mode. Anyone else run into this problem?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So a friend and I beat the story mode in co-op(gold edition). Problem is, he didn't unlock any of the special features like Lost in Nightmares or Mercenaries mode. Anyone else run into this problem?
Gold Edition contains all the DLC. If your friend was playing the regular version, he won't have Lost in Nightmare, Desperate Escape, Versus, or Mercenaries Reunion. Your friend should have unlocked regular Mercenaries after beating the game though.

Zep

Banned
Gold Edition contains all the DLC. If your friend was playing the regular version, he won't have Lost in Nightmare, Desperate Escape, Versus, or Mercenaries Reunion. Your friend should have unlocked regular Mercenaries after beating the game though.

Thats the thing, while LON unlocked for me during the game(chapter 3 I think) it didn't unlock for him. We both bought the Gold Edition.

Every once in awhile, yeah.
Ah. I play occasionally, but I thought I'd be playing alot more since I played alot of mercs on RE3 and RE4. RE5? not so much...

Anyway, if anyone wants to play storyline (new player or otherwise) I'm sure I can give it a go again. Probably rusty as Hell.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I think I'm finally....FINALLY burnt out on Mercenaries. I mean don't get me wrong, I love it still, but I'm burnt out because there are nothing but scrubs that play online these days(PC version). I haven't felt the need to play the game in a couple weeks.

Never thought I'd see the day this would happen, since RE5 Mercs mode is my favorite "Arcade game" of ALL time!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So after adoring this game years ago and playing the shit out of it..I just rebought the Gold edition to play with a friend since I never played the dlc and I have a Move. First, I still love this game. Second, the Move takes..getting used to.. the only real issue is not having simple camera controls from missing the right analog stick. Because I know the game inside out it doesn't matter much, but if this was my first time playing I'd hate having to aim my weapon to look around the environment. There also seems to be a bit of "snap on" using the Move that gives aiming a bit of leeway.

What was the general feeling of those who played with the Move? Does it eventually just click? It's just weird knowing if I put the Move down I become an RE5 pro again, but with the move I feel like a rookie as I fumble with the control scheme.

Also can I take it from the post above that people still play Mercenaries a lot?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think they work very well, but Capcom made a big implementation decision that changed this quite a bit: the cursor is not on the screen at all times. Bringing up your gun resets the aiming to the center of the screen every time.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Move vs. Wii, but it is something you have to adjust to.

One of TTP's biggest points about Move is that you won't get it at first. Like any other control method, you gotta stick with it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I'm going to stick it out as long as I can. The big issues for me will be giant/turret fight, Jill, and Wesker. If at anytime I think the Move is holding me back, I'll just drop it. Honestly I'm just looking for an excuse to dust off the Move as it gets zero use.

Sectus

I think I'm finally....FINALLY burnt out on Mercenaries. I mean don't get me wrong, I love it still, but I'm burnt out because there are nothing but scrubs that play online these days(PC version). I haven't felt the need to play the game in a couple weeks.

Never thought I'd see the day this would happen, since RE5 Mercs mode is my favorite "Arcade game" of ALL time!

I'm kinda surprised I'm not burned out yet, I still enjoy playing mercenaries, although I should note there's been plenty of times I've taken breaks lasting a few weeks/months. The only bad thing is that whenever I go back to play some matches I find that I've forgotten too much about the maps. I used to remember at which enemy kills the bosses would spawn and where from, and I've forgotten which path I used to take for getting all time bonuses, and it definitely doesn't help that mercs reunion changed many time bonus locations (I hate to say I'm getting confused in Prison again). I can remember all the spawn regions at least, although I've forgotten at which amount of kills I'm supposed to move to next spawn region.

I wish the source code for the game was available. That way I would mod the game so I can add markers for time bonuses on the minimap and add some kind of indicator showing when you're in an empty spawn region. Those 2 small changes would make it much easier to go back to the game after a long break.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Mercenaries will never get old for me. It's just so addicting trying to double S rank everything and trying to kill off every enemy. The Cruise Ship will always the be the toughest one to do for me, IMO.

Curufinwe

I thought I'd finally try to beat the game on Pro and things were going great with a random co-op partner until we hit Ndesu at the end of 2-3. What a fucking terrible boss fight that is. I finally beat it playing by myself more than an hour later, and that was all the RE 5 I could stomach for tonight.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I found that fight to be easier by yourself than with an online partner. I played that part as Sheva and AI Chris handled himself so fucking awesome. The problem with doing it with another person is that you're fucked if your partner messes up the QTE button prompt, which makes it incredibly frustrating. It really is a terrible boss fight. Wait till you fight Jill & Wekser! don't do that fight by yourself. it's easier with a friend...I did it by myself and it was one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I hated that Wesker/Jill fight just on Hard playing by myself, so on Professional I want an expert co-op buddy to do all the hard work for me.

Any tips in the PC version for inventory management with a keyboard in Mercs/No Mercy? It's impossible to combine a herbs when swarmed by a bajillion enemies. This was so much easier on a controller :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Played some Mercs with three other players today and had a blast. Nothing like 4-player coop Mercs with 3 other guys who know what they're doing.

AdamMPSP

So I'm thinking about picking up the Gold edition on PS3 and playing it with the Move controller, just to say that I've used the Move controller for something. I played the first 2 hours of the game on xbox and did not like it, but RE4 is one of my top games of all time, and I'm liking what I'm seeing from RE6, so I think I should go back.

Is there anything I need to know before going into this? Any way to play it so I get better enjoyment out of it? Also, I'm probably going to be playing it alone.

Mr_Zombie

Is there anything I need to know before going into this? Any way to play it so I get better enjoyment out of it?

You should play with...

Also, I'm probably going to be playing it alone.
...ugh :/

Well, if you're going to play alone: at the beginning equip Sheva with a decent pistol, later on give her a baton (so she won't waste ammo) and a sniper rifle. She's great at sniping, so she'll be getting headshots left and right at distant enemies. Also, set her on cover mode (at least I think that was the name) - she'll be always near you and will only attack enemies when needed. And don't give her herbs/FAS unless you have to. Sheva's overprotective and will use herbs/sprays on you even if you're only slightly hurt.

isamu

Is there anything I need to know before going into this? Any way to play it so I get better enjoyment out of it? Also, I'm probably going to be playing it alone.

Yes....

A)Get the PC version instead
B)Skip the campaign entirely and play Mercenaries Mode which is 100x more fun
C)Grab the 4-player Mercenaries mod that allows 4-player coop
D)My GFWL Live name is GroovieGhouliez

strafer

So I'm currently playing this on the PC with the PS3 controller using MotionJoy and the weapon quick swap using the D-pad doesn't seem to work and the Sniper Rifle Zoom is on the Right Trigger, which is pretty awkward.

Anyone got any ideas?

Top Bottom