• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

snap0212

*bump*

I’ve finally started playing „Resident Evil 5“ after waiting for the release of the Move-Version. I’ve bought the Gold Edition for about 30€ and was totally looking forward to finally play it the way I want to. With the Move controller (I love Resident Evil 4 on the Wii).

I’m almost done with this game. I’m currently in Chapter 6-2 and have to fight that
Uroboro Aheri
. Unfortunately; I didn’t really enjoy the game and I don’t think there’s anything coming that would really blow me away and make me like this game. :/

Why the hell is Sheva even there? This makes no sense at all. I wouldn’t mind her being there if her existence would help me in any way. However, the “puzzles” that require co-op are all pretty boring and there was not one single moment where I was really glad I had her with me. We both have to pull some switch at the same time? She gets trapped and I have to help her out? Even though I didn’t really like Ashley in RE4 either, I was fine with taking care of her and it was okay that she didn’t do what I wanted her to do. She was the president’s daughter and I was the hero saving here. I’m pretty sure she even wanted to have sex with Leon at some point. I haven’t played this game with another person, yet. No one wants to play this game with a controller.

elmerchant_2.jpg

WHERE IS HE? :'(

The Boss Fights. I don’t know if there’s something wrong with me, but I hated every single one (including the one I’m currently doing). They are uninspired, boring, way too frequent and not really satisfying. For the last two hours I have been fighting overpowered enemies to then fight another Boss? My weapons are weak as hell and it’s not worth saving ammo for my “good” weapons. There was one guy with some kind of gatling gun who was just eating all my bullets. I died at least five times before I was finally able to beat him.

The controls. They’re not really good. They never were, never will be and using the Move doesn’t change that. I’m not talking about the “shooting while I move” stuff, but the controls in general. I don’t know why, but I just don’t like them.

Aiming, walking, etc. works great with the move. Shooting an enemie in the head from a far… works with a sniper rifle, but not with a pistol. Maybe it’s my hand that’s just too shaky, though. Reloading is only possible if I shake the controller? The worst thing is when you want to reload your gun and a QTE prompt shows up: Shake the Controller NOW. Already doing that, but I still get hit. Every. Single. Time!

I’m gonna finish it tomorrow, but I don’t think I’ll ever play it again. For RE6 I really hope they either go back to survival horror or move on to make it a third-person-shooter.

UPDATE:Okay, I’m now at Chapter 6-3 (so I’ve almost finished the game). I thought it couldn’t get worse, but it just did. I’m now attacked by two Reapers and two guys with a gatling gun, and a bunch of easier enemies. Am I doing something completely wrong? I’ve read a couple of FAQs after I’ve (again) dies about ten times. I stun the one Reaper, shoot at its weak point for massive damage, maybe even kill both of them when the guys with the gatling gun appear. No matter how often I hit them – they just won’t die. Ever. Wasted every single bullet, tried to get as many headshots as possible, but they keep killing me. I know it’s supposed to be hard, but what’s the point? Just let me kill Sheva already so I don’t have to worry about her anymore. Give me a bad rank for letting her die, but don’t force me to keep her alive. She's annoying!

Move bump!

Finally picked up a navigation controller so I gave it a go and I'm pleased with it as I enjoyed RE4 on the Wii. My only complaint, as mentioned in IGNs video, is why the FUCK did Capcom decide to use the motion button as the shooting button. What's wrong with using the trigger button..as a trigger? o_O

Anyone else having this problem with the benchmark? I'm rocking a 5850 and 4gb RAM...

I have no idea why area 3 is so low. It just rapes my machine. Latest drivers, etc etc.

Edit: DX9 is fine, though:

I'll just play it on DX9 because it doesn't look much worse to me, but it's a bit annoying.

Sectus

snap0212 said:
UPDATE:Okay, I’m now at Chapter 6-3 (so I’ve almost finished the game). I thought it couldn’t get worse, but it just did. I’m now attacked by two Reapers and two guys with a gatling gun, and a bunch of easier enemies. Am I doing something completely wrong? I’ve read a couple of FAQs after I’ve (again) dies about ten times. I stun the one Reaper, shoot at its weak point for massive damage, maybe even kill both of them when the guys with the gatling gun appear. No matter how often I hit them – they just won’t die. Ever. Wasted every single bullet, tried to get as many headshots as possible, but they keep killing me. I know it’s supposed to be hard, but what’s the point? Just let me kill Sheva already so I don’t have to worry about her anymore. Give me a bad rank for letting her die, but don’t force me to keep her alive. She's annoying!
Hooray for help 2 months late! If you climb a ladder down and move forward on the left side, you'll find a turret with infinite ammo. That's your solution for dealing with the gatling gun majini if you're not carrying powerful weaponry.

Alternatively, you could be cheap and just play 3-1 and get the free rocket launcher and then restart 6-3 and kill the tough enemies with the rocket launcher.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Anyone else having this problem with the benchmark? I'm rocking a 5850 and 4gb RAM...

I have no idea why area 3 is so low. It just rapes my machine. Latest drivers, etc etc.

Edit: DX9 is fine, though:

I'll just play it on DX9 because it doesn't look much worse to me, but it's a bit annoying.
I'm not sure if there's even any extra graphical effects when playing in DX10, so there shouldn't be any downside to keeping to DX9.

Is there any way to play the PC version with a generic controller, or does it only take a 360 controller? I like aiming with the mouse and all, but I think I'm gonna get carpal tunnel if I play this with the keyboard anymore (and I just started yesterday!) :(

Sectus said:
I'm not sure if there's even any extra graphical effects when playing in DX10, so there shouldn't be any downside to keeping to DX9.
only downside is that weird loading that the game does in DX9 when you first launch it or when you alt tab, that doesn't happen in DX10.

Mr_Zombie

plagiarize said:
only downside is that weird loading that the game does in DX9 when you first launch it or when you alt tab, that doesn't happen in DX10.

There's a fix for that. As I remember, you have to remove the content of a shaderlog.slg file in RESIDENT EVIL 5\nativePC; that is, backup the current file and create an empty file with the same name. Loadings should disappear.

Sectus

How About No said:
Is there any way to play the PC version with a generic controller, or does it only take a 360 controller? I like aiming with the mouse and all, but I think I'm gonna get carpal tunnel if I play this with the keyboard anymore (and I just started yesterday!) :(
With the launcher you can configure any controller to use with RE5. I personally use a PS2 pad.

plagiarize said:
I have no idea what the point of that loading is, but you can prevent it from happening. Go to "nativePC" where the game is installed and replace shaderlog.slg with a 0 byte file.

Sectus

How About No said:
Where do I obtain this launcher
It's the launcher which comes with the game. Same place where you choose DX9 between DX10. Look to the upper left and there's a button called "settings" which lets you configure a gamepad.

Sectus said:
It's the launcher which comes with the game. Same place where you choose DX9 between DX10. Look to the upper left and there's a button called "settings" which lets you configure a gamepad.
*slaps self* Ohhhhh. That launcher.

Thanks! I never bothered to look at the menu on it! :p

MoFuzz

How About No said:
FWIW, I used a Logitech Rumblepad (tried both wired and wireless) and it works flawlessly with the 360 controller emulator floating around the interwebz. You may have to configure button mappings, but it has the on screen prompts, rumble and everything.

<3 the current gen Capcom PC ports.

I just played through to 2-3 with fellow Gaffer Stop It and I have to say the experience is 100x better than my original playthrough with the A.I. :lol

It looks fucking nice in places, too. Especially the quarry at the end of 2-2 with the sunset.

I still think the game takes the best moments of 4 and re-uses them, however. As much fun as it is, it's not nearly as memorable or unique as 4.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I just played through to 2-3 with fellow Gaffer Stop It and I have to say the experience is 100x better than my original playthrough with the A.I. :lol

It looks fucking nice in places, too. Especially the quarry at the end of 2-2 with the sunset.

I still think the game takes the best moments of 4 and re-uses them, however. As much fun as it is, it's not nearly as memorable or unique as 4.
Yey, I am better than the AI at something!!

Well, we just completed the chapter 2-2 level, just enjoying the view:

resi11tpr.jpg

All was well. All of a sudden a truck appears and before we know it, we're boned. The boss at the end is some sort of Bat/big weird thingy, and I shit myself, I mean just look at it!

resi2xsr4.jpg

Nizz

My brother has some sort of rewards program with a credit card, and he's accumulated enough points where he can get a free game. He doesn't really play games so he's thinking of getting one for me. RE5 Gold Edition is one of the choices. I'm thinking of biting on it.

How's the final PS3 version of the game run? I played the demo before the game came out and remember it being a little rough. I heard the final game ran better than the demo. PS3 version's my only option since it's the only console I own.

I'm not too interested in Move controls but I figured I'd grab the Gold Edition since it's the only RE5 version that supports it. Plus there's the extra missions.

Sectus

purple cobra said:
My brother has some sort of rewards program with a credit card, and he's accumulated enough points where he can get a free game. He doesn't really play games so he's thinking of getting one for me. RE5 Gold Edition is one of the choices. I'm thinking of biting on it.

How's the final PS3 version of the game run? I played the demo before the game came out and remember it being a little rough. I heard the final game ran better than the demo. PS3 version's my only option since it's the only console I own.

I'm not too interested in Move controls but I figured I'd grab the Gold Edition since it's the only RE5 version that supports it. Plus there's the extra missions.
Performance-wise I'm pretty sure it's nearly identical to the demo. But public assembly (first level in demo) is one of the more demanding levels in the game, so all other levels have much better performance. You'll experience some minor drops in framerate now and then, but it plays just fine. People really exaggerated the difference between 360 and PS3 versions of this game.

MarshMellow96 said:
Just curious, what would you do as a 360 owner if you were not connected to live and had bought the GE?
Shake fist angrily at Capcom? Unfortunately, I can't think of any good solution to this. The only solution I can think of is bringing your entire console with harddrive to a friend's house with internet and then download the content there (you can't bring harddrive alone as downloaded content is tied to a specific console).

rocK`

Banned
So, I just ran through this with my friend...we played on PC, online.

HOLY.SHIT.CAPCOM.

Great fucking job on this port. Never had any issues, ran smooth as hell, controls were awesome on KB/M.

Kudos, well fucking done.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rocK` said:
So, I just ran through this with my friend...we played on PC, online.

HOLY.SHIT.CAPCOM.

Great fucking job on this port. Never had any issues, ran smooth as hell, controls were awesome on KB/M.

Kudos, well fucking done.
Hell yeah, amazing graphics too.

DonMigs85

Nekofrog said:
On my PC version, my enemies randomly "float" on screen at rapid speed with no animation. Is this a known bug, or... ?
Never seen that in the console versions. Try updating your video driver maybe?

Nakasan

purple cobra said:

Hey, Just got Gold on PS3 for christmas, having already finished the 360 version when it first came out.

I have no complaints at all over the engine/graphics/framerate. No discernable difference to the layman. Move's controls are a huge plus aswell, so I am here to specifically heartily recommend it to you.

DonMigs85

Nakasan said:
Hey, Just got Gold on PS3 for christmas, having already finished the 360 version when it first came out.

I have no complaints at all over the engine/graphics/framerate. No discernable difference to the layman. Move's controls are a huge plus aswell, so I am here to specifically heartily recommend it to you.
Does it feel pretty much just like RE4 Wii?

Sectus

Nekofrog said:
On my PC version, my enemies randomly "float" on screen at rapid speed with no animation. Is this a known bug, or... ?
That is most definitely a rare bug. I've probably put 500 hours into the PC version and I've never even heard of that happening.

DonMigs85 said:
Does it feel pretty much just like RE4 Wii?
Not really. Unlike the Wii version, the crosshair is only visible while aiming, and each time you start to aim it snaps to the middle of the screen. I'm not quite sure why they decided to make it work like that.

.la1n

Sectus said:
That is most definitely a rare bug. I've probably put 500 hours into the PC version and I've never even heard of that happening.

Not really. Unlike the Wii version, the crosshair is only visible while aiming, and each time you start to aim it snaps to the middle of the screen. I'm not quite sure why they decided to make it work like that.

Probably because there were so many complaints about it always being visible at all times on RE4:Wii (not on GAF mind you.)

The boss at the end of 5-2 is one of the worst I've ever fought. I couldn't beat him first time around in single player and had to resort to an RPG, and after half an hour in co-op now I once again resorted to that.

Absolutely fucking shit. The whole of chapter 5 is pretty crap, really. Zombies with AK47s is the worst idea ever.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The boss at the end of 5-2 is one of the worst I've ever fought. I couldn't beat him first time around in single player and had to resort to an RPG, and after half an hour in co-op now I once again resorted to that.

Absolutely fucking shit. The whole of chapter 5 is pretty crap, really. Zombies with AK47s is the worst idea ever.

The spider thing ?

Sectus

I think that's the boss fight against the uroboros thing. There's a flamethrower in the room, which is the key in how to fight him. Fire damage will reveal his weak spots, and shooting those a few times will kill him.

Sectus said:
I think that's the boss fight against the uroboros thing. There's a flamethrower in the room, which is the key in how to fight him. Fire damage will reveal his weak spots, and shooting those a few times will kill him.
In theory, yes, but no matter how much fire we put on him, they never showed up. They showed up with the gas tanks inside of him, but that's not enough to kill him.

Nizz

Sectus said:
Performance-wise I'm pretty sure it's nearly identical to the demo. But public assembly (first level in demo) is one of the more demanding levels in the game, so all other levels have much better performance. You'll experience some minor drops in framerate now and then, but it plays just fine. People really exaggerated the difference between 360 and PS3 versions of this game.

Nakasan said:

Thanks fellas. :) The game got here Monday afternoon, got to playing it that night. I honestly thought the game was going to be a problem for me controls-wise but I adapted pretty quickly. Graphics are insane! This is a very good looking game. Plays fine too, minor drops now and then but definitely nothing to worry about.

I'm surprised by how much I'm digging the game. I've always liked RE games, though I haven't played a game in the series since RE4 on the PS2 years ago. One thing though, game's not scary at all. I know it's been talked to death about how non-scary this game is but sometimes I miss the atmosphere of older RE games.

Still enjoying the game though, can't wait to get into Lost In Nightmares and Desperate Escape. I've heard LiN is closer in tone to past RE games so that's a big plus. But pretty glad I picked Gold Edition up. :)

LiK

Foliorum Viridum said:
In theory, yes, but no matter how much fire we put on him, they never showed up. They showed up with the gas tanks inside of him, but that's not enough to kill him.
Weird, never had any trouble with it.

Well my co-op partner and I even followed a guide and it didn't work, so there's something about it that didn't click. It's just really obtuse and not fun.

Honestly, though, I think that sums up everything beyond the start of chapter 5 in this game. Although the first 4 chapters aren't anywhere near the greatness of Resi 4, they were still enjoyable. Everything beyond chapter 5 is pretty horrendous.

I'm still going to complete it again with my co-op buddy, but I don't anticipate liking it much more.

Yep, and when hit with fire those tentacles popped out in them. But no matter what we did, including using ALL of the flamethrower on him, they never appeared.

LiK

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yep, and when hit with fire those tentacles popped out in them. But no matter what we did, including using ALL of the flamethrower on him, they never appeared.
Weird, tried incendiary nades as well? You can still hurt him a little even if the weak points don't show up. I guess if you're really stuck because of a glitch or something, get the rocket launcher for instant one shot kill.

Sectus

Random trivia time! (also, if a moderator read this, I think this thread should be moved into community section)

I've been modding the game quite a bit and I've learned some random mechanics of the game I wasn't aware of:
-Every single enemy in ship deck on mercenaries run all the freaking time. There's a specific value set for all those enemies which makes them run all the time towards the player (instead of more random behavior normal enemies does, like walk, run in a circle, throw stuff at player even though he's too far away and etc)

-The AI is incapable of killing bosses. This isn't some coimplaint about the AI, the game actually literally prevents the AI from doing the final shot at a boss (this includes mini bosses like executioner and chainsaw bosses), at the very most the AI can bring down a boss down to 1 health.

-This is a pretty big one. Most people are probably aware that certain enemies have a 100% chance to turn into some kind of las plagas (best example being Allyson in 1-2), and the only way to prevent that is breaking her neck or causing an explosion. Other specific enemies has a random chance of turning into a long neck... but it's not completely random. If you kill them by shooting their head (this also includes melees doing damage at the head), only then is there about a 75% chance of them turning into a las plagas. If you kill them by shooting anywhere else, there's a 0% chance of them turning into a las plagas.

I'm surprised that isn't explained by the game anywhere as I'd say it's a rather big gameplay mechanic.

In other news, if people wanna watch random silly modding videos, I've been uploading a bunch of them over the last year: http://www.youtube.com/user/FluffyQuack#g/c/52E33189D9E0395A

Grisby

LiK said:
i love whenever this thread is bumped.

You know what? Me too, I freaking loved this game. Plus, it had some really good DLC missions.

I wonder when we're going to start seeing information on RE6 though.

edit- watching your videos sectus, :D

Steroyd

Foliorum Viridum said:
Honestly, though, I think that sums up everything beyond the start of chapter 5 in this game. Although the first 4 chapters aren't anywhere near the greatness of Resi 4, they were still enjoyable. Everything beyond chapter 5 is pretty horrendous.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about RE5 as a whole. I'm enjoying it on the replay mostly because I have infinite magnum ammo now.

lol

I'm still playing this. I never 100 percented it, so I put a crazy amount of time into it this weekened trying to do so.

Basically still have to do Veteran/Professional runs, 100percent emblems, and max out my inventory.

I <3 RE5 :D

Top Bottom