• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Just beat it on 360. It told me I unlocked Chris & Jill figurines, yet that option is still red-ded out and I can't select it.

Also, I'm not unlocking any new characters as I go through the Mercs Reunion, despite having just gotten my first S.

Are these problems?

I finished the game on 360 last year and sold it. I am thinking of getting RE5 on the PS3, was the PS3 ver of RE5 inferior ? or should I get the 360 Gold Edition ?

fernoca

Unregistered007 said:
I finished the game on 360 last year and sold it. I am thinking of getting RE5 on the PS3, was the PS3 ver of RE5 inferior ? or should I get the 360 Gold Edition ?
Depends on your definition of inferior.
Yeah, there some places with less effects here and there..but the PS3 version still looks great, if anything..wait and get Gold Edition on the PS3 since it will be in 1 disc, instead of using HDD space.

Actually I was the opposite of you it seems, I played (got Platinum, back then) on the PS3 version last year when it was released; then recently got the Xbox 360 version (no longer have a PS3) and downloaded Lost in Nightmares...and got the main 1000 points, of the main game also..

Unregistered007 said:
ilgresidentevil5bundle.jpg

lol

The 360 does have a tiny edge in graphically fidelity over the PS3 version, but with the PS3 version you get all the content on disc. Then again, you should probably stick with the 360 version assuming you kept your save file to avoid having to play through most of the game over again to access the new content (if my understanding of the DLC is correct).

BeeDog

Unregistered007 said:

The PS3 has no tearing whatsoever, but its framerate is a bit more unstable, the water reflection effect is missing from the swamp chapters and it uses Quincunx AA, which smears out the texture details. Otherwise they're pretty similar.

fernoca

Alec said:
Lost In Nightmares Spoilers

Ozwell's journals in his study talk about how "Alex" is his only hope. Is he talking about Alexander or Alexia Ashford, or perhaps one of the "other Weskers" mentioned at the end of RE5?
Well,
Alex was one of the remianing Wesker children, that dissapeared after learning the truth. There was also a suspicious letter in the main RE5 game, signed by A. Wesker..
though I'm trying to find at least a transcript of it.

EDIT:
Okay, not
A. Wesker, but Alex W.
; the letter said:

It has been confirmed that the accident at the
Raccoon City Arklay Research Facility was due to the
involvement of Project W test subject No. 013
(hereafter referred to as Albert). His death in the
accident has made obtaining any further information
an impossibility. (Albert's death was confirmed by
the Information Department.)
Albert's death puts the current success rate of
Project W down to 18 percent.
The quota of qualified individuals for the project
has been drastically reduced and must be addressed
immediately. This poses a grave situation for any
progress that can hope to be made in the project.
Since there is no roster of qualified individuals to
replace the recent losses, it would be advisable to
start selecting individuals from the pool of failed
candidates.
After this, adjustments can be made that will
restore up to 93 percent of the quota prior to
Albert's death.
Umbrella Information Department
Alex W.

Though that report was from
the original Alex Wesker, on which the children were named after. The Alex Wesker "child" and the whereabouts of the original Alex are unknown.

a Master Ninja said:
Then again, you should probably stick with the 360 version assuming you kept your save file to avoid having to play through most of the game over again to access the new content (if my understanding of the DLC is correct).

It isn't correct.

Miburou

a Master Ninja said:
ilgresidentevil5bundle.jpg

lol

The 360 does have a tiny edge in graphically fidelity over the PS3 version, but with the PS3 version you get all the content on disc. Then again, you should probably stick with the 360 version assuming you kept your save file to avoid having to play through most of the game over again to access the new content (if my understanding of the DLC is correct).

The only thing you lose is the ability to select the noise filter, which I think makes Lost in Nightmares look even better.

As for PS3 vs 360, I recently tried the PS3 version and to me the downgrade is noticeable, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

RDreamer

Unregistered007 said:

Yeah, I suppose the PS3 version is technically supposed to be inferior, but I'm pretty much always insanely impressed by its visuals every time I turn it on, even now after seeing other good looking games that came after it.

netguy503

Since this thread was bumped, anyone that has a mic and is really good at this game want to help me with the Desperate Escape/Lost in Nightmares trophies please!? I have not played Desperate Escape yet and I believe I only need the play Lost in Nightmares on Professional (oh, and get an S rank) trophies. Any help would be appreciated. Just be good and have a mic please. PSN ID: Netguy503. Thank you very much.

Daigoro

Square Triangle said:
My buddy who wants to play online has infinite ammo and all that crap, if I join his game with this effect any trophies for myself?

only effect will be that it will make things easier. it wont glitch any trophy hunting.

So I'm THIS [] close to beating the game, but the final
volcano
level is too frustrating.
When I push the boulder down I can't cross it and either Wesker kills me or Sheva falls into the lava. Literally there's no button prompt to cross. What the fuck do I do after pushing the boulder?
The final level's been great so far but this part really sucks.

Also, I've been playing online and a few of the players were actually cool. Is there any way to befriend/contact them during the game and not from their gamertag in the lobby?

Apoc29

ChoklitReign said:
volcano
When I push the boulder down I can't cross it and either Wesker kills me or Sheva falls into the lava. Literally there's no button prompt to cross. What the fuck do I do after pushing the boulder?
You're supposed to shoot Wesker to distract him, giving Sheva enough time to climb up and run over to your side. This is assuming Wesker is currently stalking Sheva; if he is on your side then Sheva should shoot him until he jumps over to her side.

ChoklitReign said:
volcano

Also, I've been playing online and a few of the players were actually cool. Is there any way to befriend/contact them during the game and not from their gamertag in the lobby?

I think you might be trying to do what I did, which was getting ahead of myself.

First as Chris you are meant to run for the high ground, not go for the boulder. Wesker will follow you but Sheva should keep shooting him (you can shoot him as well if you like). Eventually Wesker will jump up to where Sheva is. Now it's your turn as Chris to shoot him until Sheva gets away. Only once that has happened do you jump down and go knock the boulder over, it's to let Sheva across, not for you to cross it. Together head back up to the high ground. Then you get to the final part of the battle.

Mr_Zombie

You don't cross it, Sheva does.
While
Sheva is hanging, you should take care of Wesker, that is keep shooting at him; otherwise he will throw boulders at Sheva and she will fall. When finally Sheva pulls up, then she will run over to you and cross the gap thanks to the boulder "bridge".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ChoklitReign said:
volcano

PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH THE BOULDER, PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH THE BOULDER

After that:
Run to high-ground, Wesker will jump over

Sheeva: QTE (which is annoying if you're a human player, WTF Capcom)

Keep Wesker off her, she climbs up, hops over. Wesker hops back to you.

Have two RPGs? Great: If not, good freaking luck on Veteran doing the QTE.

RPG,
Wesker will "REAP THE WHIRLWIND
, after that: RPG again. Boss should be dead.

Edit: how do I fail spoiler. :|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
badcrumble said:
For some reason, despite having
killed Wesker by stabbing him in the heart
, I never got the trophy for that :(

Heartstopper is done on lickers. Acid Round one in the face. And then stab them QTE.

badcrumble said:

Thats not who you stab for it :)

Lickers, i think as Sheva, when there knocked over on the ground.

USD

badcrumble said:
That trophy is for Lickers. If you knock a Licker on it's back (without killing it), you can run up to it and finish it off with a stab.

Sectus

Hello!

Wanna play RE5 with new mercs stages?
98498714-3.jpg
b6e3035bd1b250aaa460f224785abdb19d8dbd6e.jpg

Wanna play through a series of boss fights in mercs mode?
a00c61ccb1bc288864393fe2e65b8411.jpg
98942469-3.jpg

Wanna play with no HUD?
b19d3c8f212eb2101e451d5c3be02b5c97153287.jpg

Wanna play with fanciful super highres 1920x1080 chapter result screens? (compared to 1024x576 in normal RE5)
98446452-3.jpg
98446458-3.jpg

Wanna play with remixed mercs stages with many many many many many mini bosses?
98942848-3.jpg
98942486-3.jpg

Wanna play with 150 enemies on the map all active at the same time? (actually, this is totally silly and not recommended as it'll kinda make the game explode. although there's still no mercy mode which is awesome)
98322735-3.jpg

Wanna play with an increased FOV?
95813183-3.jpg

Do you think it wasn't even close to ridiculous enough to have Chris punch a boulder, and you really think Wesker should do it too?
99858842-3.jpg

How do you play RE5 like this you ask?
Step 1: Buy game! Like buy it within 10 hours from steam where it's ridiculouly cheap only for today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/21690/
Step 2: Download mods! All neatly linked in the bottom of this post!
Step 3: Punch me in the face because I might have over promised one of the above mods which is still in progress and not done yet! (that is, the mod with various boss fights in mercs mode)

Mod links...
New mercs stages: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=11878
New mercs variants on normal mercs stages: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=11030
No HUD mod: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=11578
Highres chapter result screens: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=12794
Model swaps (play as Wesker or Jill in story mode): http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=10410
Increase FOV mod: http://www.gamevixenzone.com/gvz/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=4492 (warning, this site is NSFW as it's primarily dedicated to nekkid mods)

Anyone just buy this game the other day on Steam like I did? Looking for a co-op partner, preferably someone who hasn't played it yet like me, so it's a new experience! :D

Baron

I bought a used copy of Resident Evil 5 today, and my brand new 360 arcade system bought earlier this week refuses to play the disc. It showed up as RE5 with the picture of the game on the drive icon area in the dashboard, but when I went to play the game it gave me an error saying it has a read error and told me to clean the disc and reset the console. The disc was pristine, barely a blemish - but I wiped it down all the same.

Put the disc back in, and now it won't recognize the game at all, and says it is a DVD movie! I tried another game of mine, and it loaded up instantly without any issues. Put RE5 back in, won't load at all.

Should I be worried? Should I go exchange the system while I can? Is the game disc bad? Or is there some issue with the RE5 game discs being defective and this sometimes happens? My confidence has been shaken in my new system and I feel like I should just forget the arcade model entirely and fork out the extra for the slim.

Baron said:
I bought a used copy of Resident Evil 5 today, and my brand new 360 arcade system bought earlier this week refuses to play the disc. It showed up as RE5 with the picture of the game on the drive icon area in the dashboard, but when I went to play the game it gave me an error saying it has a read error and told me to clean the disc and reset the console. The disc was pristine, barely a blemish - but I wiped it down all the same.

Put the disc back in, and now it won't recognize the game at all, and says it is a DVD movie! I tried another game of mine, and it loaded up instantly without any issues. Put RE5 back in, won't load at all.

Should I be worried? Should I go exchange the system while I can? Is the game disc bad? Or is there some issue with the RE5 game discs being defective and this sometimes happens? My confidence has been shaken in my new system and I feel like I should just forget the arcade model entirely and fork out the extra for the slim.
I would go back. I had that problem once or twice with the console saying it's a dvd movie, but a simply eject of the game disc solves it. I wouldn't take the chance since it maybe is like this with all games. You could consider going Slim too, then you can install games for better loading times and noise reduction.

Baron

Hmm. I think I'll probably exchange the system tomorrow and see if the game works on the new system. Thing is, I don't think they have anymore arcades at the TRU I bought it from. The did have elites with a 120gb HD for only $225 though. Maybe I'll return and upgrade.

I also found a thread on Capcom's forums with people having this same issue with RE5 discs not working with certain system configurations. thread here.

Baron

cvxfreak said:
Defective discs happen occasionally, and doubly so when they're used. I would go back.

I can't quite tell here if you're saying I should bring the game back or the system itself.

So, loving this as a co-op game. Even scarier this way, kinda.

Really hope the QTE's die before the next game, though.

So, mods. Do they break the multiplayer? Thanks for the above recommended ones...are there any particular "improved visuals" mods (higher res textures, etc.)

Though I gotta say, the game is gorgeous.

Baron

Got a new copy of RE5 and it works just fine. Must have got a defective disc!

Also - damn, the 360 is one loud sumbitch compared to my PS3.

USD

I just noticed that they have a Sell All option for treasure now. That definitely wasn't there before (from the beginning anyway), they must have added it when they updated for the DLC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mr. Snrub said:
Is there a "polishing" mechanic like RE4? I have these dirty/brown Beetle jewels and I'm afraid to sell them.

Sell it all. You can't combine anything with anything or do anything to increase their value.

Daigoro

lots of people playing this on my friends list today. it was odd. makes me want to play again.

USD said:
I just noticed that they have a Sell All option for treasure now. That definitely wasn't there before (from the beginning anyway), they must have added it when they updated for the DLC.

huh cool. that wouldve been useful a few full banks ago.

I finally decided to play the PC-version after the steam sale a couple of days ago, and i was suprised by how bad it ran on my system. I have an i5 processor at 2,67Ghz, 4GB ram, and an Ati HD 4890 graphics card, and ran the DX10 version of the game on a W7 64bit OS. I decided to run the variable benchmark with all settings on high, no AA, with v-synch disabled, and with the resolution 1360x768. At area 1 i got an average of 60fps, and in area 2,3, and 4 i only got 25fps on average. I checked the old benchmark thread and it looked like everyone else with a comparable graphics card was able to get much better results. Does anyone know why i have such low performance? I also updated to the latest version of the display driver, but the results are the same.

Nelo Ice

Banned
anyone still play this?

just picked up a gold edition copy (360) for $20

btw for any bay area gaffers it has been confirmed around multiple parts of the bay that target is selling the 360 version for $19.99 :D

Top Bottom