• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

2DMention

Banned
I've got it on my Gamefly Q, but it's not on there enthusiasticly. The reviews say the pseudo-RPGness of text bubbles totally ruin it and don't add anything to the game. Why didn't they just make a sequel to the Thousand Year Door? Sounds like this should be a straight platformer like New was on the DS.

Koomaster

Jiggy37 said:
That whole thing at the end of 7-4 just annoys me. :\ I really don't have a problem with
characters dying, or something resembling dying, but come on--Super Paper Mario is a really lighthearted game. How can you introduce this wonderful, vivid character and kill her off a few levels later, but expect me to not be the slightest bit ticked when they go on to send the general trite message that I shouldn't be sad for her, she's found her real purpose, etc.? It's freaking Super Paper Mario, not a dissertation about the meaning of life as seen from an existentialist perspective. :\ Just have her split in two and continue to live by THE POWER OF LOVE, or something like that, and go on verbally smacking down damsels like Princess Peach who lacketh the common sense. At least then I could believe it when Mario/Luigi/whoever you're using barely blinks about what happens.
After you beat the game, go back to world 7-4 to the Overthere Shrine - Luvbi came back to life. Come on, you know the good guys never get the final game over. ^______^

Jiggy

Koomaster said:
After you beat the game, go back to world 7-4 to the Overthere Shrine - Luvbi came back to life. Come on, you know the good guys never get the final game over. ^______^
Oh. :eek:

Well, that solves at least one major problem. After PM2, I figured that there wouldn't be much particularly different storyline-wise in the epilogue...

Just curious, how many people knew pressing the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time brought up a quick-toggle menu?

It makes life much easier than that + button.

TSA said:
Just curious, how many people knew pressing the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time brought up a quick-toggle menu?

*Raises hand.

Of course I read the instruction manual.

Grok4Spock

TSA said:

It was in the IGN review :D *Runs away because he forgot his flame suit

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Swordian said:
It's in the manual.

I don't think you even need to read the manual for that. If you let the controller rest and leave the game unpaused, it displays the controls right on screen, IIRC. They fade away as soon as you start moving or hit a button.

GAH. Gamefly sucks. It took 8 days for them to ship Sonic ****ing Adventure (honestly, it's not as if they were out of it), but Super Paper Mario was apparently "lost in the mail". They changed it from "out" to not shipping or on my queue at all. I added it to my queue again, but it's on short wait. Bastards. >_>

Lee N

Membre
TSA said:

I found out when I accidentally did it once.

aeolist

Banned
A little help with 4-1 please:

I bought the clue from the old guy but I have no idea how to get into that space-time rift.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
aeolist said:
A little help with 4-1 please:

I bought the clue from the old guy but I have no idea how to get into that space-time rift.

Remember the dude in the port-a-potty that needed some paper? ANY paper?

Gamefly shipped SPM to me on the 10th. I've been playing it since the 12th.

Well, apparently you live next door to their distribution center. >_> Both games shipped on the 10th for me, and I just got Sonic Adventure yesterday. Again, Super Paper Mario would get here at the same time if it was shipped from a normal company, but this is Gamefly, so it got lost in the mail, and it will need to be shipped all over again (after a wait). >_>

AniHawk

Had some time to relax and play... It's not so bad. I like the arcade. Just nice to sorta waste time in. Cleared the hidden game too (incredibly easy).

I'm on 7-3 now and don't want it to end, just because it feels like I'm finally getting started. It's kinda too bad there are so many poor design choices, particularly most of what happens between the start of world 6 and 7-2.

Gigglepoo

AdmiralViscen said:
Buying this today, haven't read the thread.

Is the 80/20 platformer/RPG description true?

It plays pretty much like Thousand-Year Door, except the turn based combat has been replaced with real time stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
CaVaYeRo said:
An European distributor says (internal list) this game is coming the 21st of June, which would be awesome since I was expecting it after the summer. Also, it lists Galaxy, Metroid and Brawl.

that better be true, I was already expecting 3rd quarter dates and other doom scenarios. Anyhoo I bought myself a copy of TTYD on Ebay, hoping to check it out soon.

Roklie

CaVaYeRo said:
An European distributor says (internal list) this game is coming the 21st of June, which would be awesome since I was expecting it after the summer. Also, it lists Galaxy, Metroid and Brawl.
I hope they didn't list any European dates for Galaxy, Brawl and Metroid because in that case Paper Mario's date is most likely bullshit too.

CaVaYeRo

Roklie said:
I hope they didn't list any European dates for Galaxy, Brawl and Metroid because in that case Paper Mario's date is most likely bullshit too.

the thing is, they could have received SPM updated date for June and tentative dates for the other three, so those could change but I see the SPM one very possible.

Finn

Has anyone figured out
where the key for the locked door in Flopside is? I've no idea how to unlock it and it's driving me nuts.

I've also completed 74 of the 96 recipes in the game. I'm pretty impressed with myself.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Finn said:
Has anyone figured out
where the key for the locked door in Flopside is? I've no idea how to unlock it and it's driving me nuts.

I've also completed 74 of the 96 recipes in the game. I'm pretty impressed with myself.

It's part of a really cumbersome task to get a worthless Pixl. You have to talk to the fortune teller in Flopside (get on her side of the counter and talk to her). She'll send you on some fetch quest. I did it and I don't really think it was worth the trouble.

Finn said:
Has anyone figured out

You've
got to do a long fetch quest. If you want to start it talk to the charmer in Flopside... but make sure you hop over the table first

I only brought it up because I see people complaining about it and I didn't know if people had realized a quick toggle was present.

I actually didn't read the manual nor did I see it in-game, I got to a point in Chapter 2 on the first day I had the game and was like "there has to be a quick toggle" and pressed buttton combos and finally the 1+2 combo made the toggle screen appear.

There should have been hold 1+2 and use the analog stick to "cycle" through Pixls, a-la MGS style, and hold A+B and use the analog stick to "cycle" through characters as well.

But the current thing was fine.

TSA said:
There should have been hold 1+2 and use the analog stick to "cycle" through Pixls, a-la MGS style, and hold A+B and use the analog stick to "cycle" through characters as well.

My remote doesn't have an analog stick on it, so I'm glad they didn't go with that method. :( (Okay, I get it, you meant tilting the Wii Remote left and right, correct?)

I think it was fine as it was. But ultimately, not being able to flip (or stay flipped) as the other characters was unnaturally limiting. It should not have been restricted to just Mario. Had they not forced that, the need to change characters so often would've been far less.

AniHawk

Well those last 7 hours were a delightful romp.

Finally done at 20 hours. The game really picked up in the 7th and 8th worlds. Lots of fun. Hell, I even got around to enjoying the story at the end.

As far as my favorite Wii games go now:

1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 10
2. Super Paper Mario - 8.5
3. Excite Truck - 8.3
4. Sonic and the Secret Rings - 7.8

And within the Mario RPG series:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 9
2. Super Paper Mario - 8.5
3. Paper Mario - 8.3
4. Super Mario RPG - 7.8
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 7
6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 5.5

stewacide

The instant game-over-before-even-starting
by repeatedly refusing to take on the quest
had me in stitches: well worth repeating the last 20-minutes of un-skippable wordy cut-scenes

JoeMartin

AdmiralViscen said:
So every time I touch one of these stupid gray piles of shit, I go back to the town? Cool

Yeah what the hell was up with that? It's a completely unneccessary game mechanic. In no light is it remotely entertaining or humorous, it's just a waste of time.

dyls

Just finished Chapter 4. Mindbending awesomeness, great use of perspective. Chapter 3 was also mustard. From what people here are writing, I've already played the best of the game. Is this true? Because I have such a great feeling for the game right now, I'd hate for that to be wiped out by (more) tedious fetch quests and uninspired levels.

Mrbob

stewacide said:
The instant game-over-before-even-starting
by repeatedly refusing to take on the quest
had me in stitches: well worth repeating the last 20-minutes of un-skippable wordy cut-scenes

Hahaha, no it wasn't.

I was pissed I had to go rethrough this horrible opening dialogue. ;)

AniHawk

dyls said:
Just finished Chapter 4. Mindbending awesomeness, great use of perspective. Chapter 3 was also mustard. From what people here are writing, I've already played the best of the game. Is this true? Because I have such a great feeling for the game right now, I'd hate for that to be wiped out by (more) tedious fetch quests and uninspired levels.

I thought 7 and 8 finish the game wonderfully. Really brought my opinion of the game up as a whole.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I hate how near the end of the game(chapters 6 and 7), the game turns into 'Super Paper Fetch Quests'. Really poor choice IMO. It almost seemed like they ran out of ideas. I loved the game until that happened.

JoeMartin

Dragona Akehi said:
It's called BOWSER FIRE?

I'd be cool with that if I wasn't required to use Mario 90% of the time because the entire game is built around the flip mechanic.

I actually killed the first one with Boomer (before you even have Bowser, by the way), so I wasn't even expecting it when I hit the second one. And be honest, it is entirely retarded.

"Guys, guys. I just had an epiphany. Let's make a mob that sends the player back to flipside for absolutely no good reason, that way they have to take a 5 minute walk back to where they were. That'll teach those bastards to try and jump on this blob of shit with eyes again!"

guiness-inside.jpg
(note: actual photo of IS coders while creating the 'oh bitch, you got jacked bitch' mob)
"Brilliant!"

Aside from a few things like this, the game is 95% pure genius. I'm loving it. Bravo IS.

JoeMartin said:
I'd be cool with that if I wasn't required to use Mario 90% of the time because the entire game is built around the flip mechanic.

I actually killed the first one with Boomer (before you even have Bowser, by the way), so I wasn't even expecting it when I hit the second one. And be honest, it is entirely retarded.

"Guys, guys. I just had an epiphany. Let's make a mob that sends the player back to flipside for absolutely no good reason, that way they have to take a 5 minute walk back to where they were. That'll teach those bastards to try and jump on this blob of shit again!"

guiness-inside.jpg
(note: actual photo of IS coders while creating the 'oh bitch, you got jacked bitch' mob)
"Brilliant!"

Well uh, whenever I see something new I send Tippi after it. I never once got sent back to flipside. :p

JoeMartin

Not if you compulsively decide to kill everything with Boomer because it gives you that nostalgic feeling of remote-mine-only wars in Goldeneye.

In the pits especially, I felt like I was playing a sidescrolling version of Bomberman.

jvalioli said:
There is a monster that sends you back to Flipside?

It only appears in a few spots, as one of the types of "curses" that monster can have (others include poison, weighing down your jumps, slowing you down, and mixing up your controls), depending on the color. So basically, touching those monsters is usually a bad idea anyway, and this particular variant generally only appears near the beginning of a chapter, to my recollection.

They're slow as hell, so just take them out from a distance if you can. Bowser, Boomer, etc.

Mardak

I only recall running into the send-back-to-flipside creatures near the beginning of the crag-land area. After that, I've always just used bowser + carrie or mario + boomer.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished the main game in around 18 hours. Some final thoughts:

Positives
Visuals: Outstanding artstyle, as per usual from IntSys. In particular World 3 and 5. Brilliant stuff.
Localization: Treehouse does it again. Some of the funniest dialogs and scenes in any game. If you've played the game, you know what I'm talking about. I didn't find it to be too wordy since it's really a Paper Mario game. Oh, and anyone of you that wished there was voice-acting, you're idiots.
Boss fights: Most of them were pretty easy, but were memorable (World 1 and 4).
Star Powerup: Yes, this deserves a bonus point because everytime that music comes on, BIG GRIN. :)
Mini-games: I just got around to these. The ghost shooting and tilt island ones were really fun.

Negatives
Level design: By far my biggest complaint. Seriously a mixed bag. Some levels are great with the implementation of the flip mechanic, but a lot of that freshness seemed to taper off after the first few levels as you get more characters and pixels. It's like they ran out of ideas after world 3 (to be fair, world 7 was decent). World 4 was trash, but the biggest offender is World 6. Are you KIDDING me?

I know it's Paper Mario, but a lot of the sections with doors breaking the flow of the game were not exactly riveting. They really should have expanded the platforming influence and made complete levels with no interruptions. And like a lot of people aluded to, 3D flip should have been for all characters.

Puzzles: Another mixed bag. Sometimes they're brilliant, and sometimes they just leave me scratching my head and not in a good way. It's like that all throughout the game. I already stated this earlier in this thread, but World 5's puzzles involving backtracking were so NOT fun that I was shocked those segments made it into the game. Much like the 10 minute hold-down-the-d-pad thing.

Inventory space:
A remnant from Thousand Year Door that should have been eliminated. There's no need for this restriction. It's not like the game's hard. It especially annoyed me when I had to go and
search for fruit over again due to limited space
in World 7.

Bunch more stuff I could nitpick on (glitchy remote pointer functionality, flip timer being totally unnecessary etc.) but I think I've said enough and I could look past those faults. If I have to rate it now, a 7.5 seems about right. I would rank it below Paper Mario:TTYD (8.5 for me personally), because it actually simplified the great mechanics of that game (badge system, star power) for a stripped down pseudo-platformer that's really not deep at all. Plus I felt that TTYD had a bit more diversity in terms of environments, and was actually more of a challenge. I might trade it in for credit after I get done with the mini-games.

Top Bottom