• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Stranglehold Thread (behold the power of Blu-Ray!)

--== "Give a man a gun and he thinks he's superman...Give him two, and he thinks he's God...." ==--

6cicohu.jpg

5xt0phj.jpg

The Official John Woo Presents: Stranglehold Thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Information
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4yrjo2e.jpg

Published: Midway Games
Developer: Midway Chicago and Tiger Hill Entertainment
Genre: Third-Person Action
Modes: Singleplayer and Multiplayer
Release Date: US September 4, 2007 (Xbox 360), September 18th (PC), October 29th, 2007 (PS3)
MSRP: $49.99, $59.99, $69.99
Platform: Xbox 360, PC, and Playstation 3
Media Size: 1 BD, 1 DVD-Rom
ESRB: Mature

Features

4lsyv69.jpg

Official PR said:
- Intense Cinematic Gun Battles: Engage the enemy in Tequila Time by targeting and firing in real-time while the world dramatically slows and enjoy the exhilaration of running up railings, swinging from chandeliers, and leaping onto moving objects - all without complex controls!

- The most destructible enviroments ever created: Using the Massive-D physics engine, bring the world down on your enemies, carve your own realistic path of destrction through environments and maneuver through unique piles of debris which persist in the environment

- The only authentic John Woo Video Game experience John Woo partners with Midway to create the ultimate action game with all of the director's signature cinematic action, character focused storytelling, and revolutionary directing style!

- Intense Online Action! Prove you are the ultimate renegade cop as players from around the world show off their gunplay skills and compete online in the most realistic next-gen environments!
...one "Hard Boiled Cop"

417px-HBdvd.jpg

Hard Boiled is a 1992 action film by director John Woo. It was the last film Woo directed in his native Hong Kong before relocating to Hollywood.
The film begins as an apparently straightforward film about the bond between a cop and an undercover cop as they fight a triad gang. However, it develops into an over two hour action extravaganza, with a body count of 307.
It is structured around four major action setpieces: the opening teahouse shootout, the warehouse betrayal in the middle, the dock shootout, and the climactic thirty-minute hospital shootout.

Some fav quotes:

Hard Boiled goodness said:
"Mad Dog: You know what I hate? Two groups of people: fucking cops and creeps who betray their old bosses. "

"Johnny Wong: There is no room for failure now. The innocent must die!"

"Tequila: You're really full of shit. The toilet's over there." (a favorite of mine that me and my wife say to each other quite often)

"Alan: [shortly after Tequila reassured Alan that the guy he shot wasn't a cop] Was that guy I shot really a cop?
Tequila: Yeah.
Alan: Fuck!"

"Tequila: I can't afford any of these apartments!
Cop: Why not live in a government apartment?
Tequila: No way, I make too much for that! Wait... jazz bar! I'll live in the jazz bar!
Cop: At least you'll get a lot of "sax". "

"Tequila: Should I salute you?
Alan: You've got the gun. I'll go and milk a cow if you want.
Tequila: Sorry, I don't drink milk"

Essential Viewing to get you...."in the mood"

...The Teahouse

...Hospital shootout with infamous "2:42"

...Warehouse Shootout Part 1

...Warehouse Shootout Part 2

5z27rrq.gif
63r8fnr.jpg

4ya0cit.jpg
4z9yuer.jpg

Story

4z02bkj.jpg

"In latter-day Hong Kong, a policeman goes missing. The department is dumbfounded by the disappearance until they receive what appears to be a ransom call from an unnamed source. The kidnapper requests that a single officer appear in Kowloon market. Tequila volunteers for the assignment, beginning a sequence of battles with rival Triads and the Russian Mafia that extends from the street markets of Hong Kong to the museums of Chicago."

Cast

62qb98w.jpg
62n60ar.jpg
682j5z6.jpg

"Midway announced the voice talent for the upcoming Stranglehold game. Joining the previously confirmed Chow Yun-Fat (who will reprise the lead role of Inspector Tequila from Hard Boiled) will be Arnold Vosloo, who is perhaps best known as Imhotep from The Mummy movies and Colonel Coetzee in Blood Diamond...oh and he was in John Woo's Hard Target....and 24.
Also on board is Randall Duk Kim, who has notably been Dr. Crab in Memoirs of a Geisha and The Keymaker in the Matrix series.
Other actors in Stranglehold include Grant George, David Lodge, Lydia Look, Neil Kaplan, Stephanie Sheh, Michael Sorich, Russell Wong, Danny Bernardo, Jin Kim, Phuoc Nguyen, Andrew Lee, Joseph Yau, Philip Chan, Ronal A. Cheng and Alexander Brandon."

....oh this guy is in there too!

64121b8.jpg

Choices

4uory87.jpg
63acisp.jpg
5zgwpqc.jpg

4zch37q.jpg
62z1ylx.jpg

So as i'm sure you heard by now, we are getting regular editions of Stranglehold for a MSRP of $59.99, as well as getting Collector's Edition for the obvious $69.99
.....well except for the PC, but that version will only be $49.99 anyway, so go PC!

Of course the real notable thing is that, while the Xbox360 version's CE is gonna have a reported 4 "making-of" featurettes, along with extended "cinematics", the Playstation3 version will have all of these supplements, as well as the full feature length, High Def Remaster of Hard fucking Boiled right on the damn Blu-ray!
This is a pretty large acheivment in its own right, and hopefully if the sales numbers speak for themselves, the people behind these projects will be much more inclined to give their titles treatment such as this in the future...
Reports from the internet say that this will indeed be its own remaster and not the maligned recent one from Dragon Dynasty...

At this point the only cause of concern, for me at least, is obviously the "3rd Party Treatment" the playstation3 has been getting lately. Couple that with the fact that, aside from what the public has seen at events like Midway's Gamer's Day awhile back, and the what the press have seen (and have only lightly discussed), there is almost NO footage of the PS3 version in action....except cam captured footage featured in the media section.
I personally am awaiting what I believe to be the "definitive" version of Stranglehold...I just hope there aren't any "techinical shortcomings" when compared to its 360 counterpart, which is very much enjoying a solid release.

UPDATE:

Impressions of PS3 demo compared to 360 demo said:
First thing I noticed when booting up the actual PSN Demo was the splash screen behind the icon on the XMB....or really lack there of :lol
Honestly though, I know its a demo so pretty confident that the actual final "wallpaper" will be something more substantial than just Tequila making a mean face against a black background....still, a really odd choice =/

anyway, enough of the trivial...

Comparisions between the 360 demo and PS3 demo

- As far controls go, I definetly prefer the control over Tequila with the SIXAXIS! This is due in part that I've really fallen in love with the sensitivity, resistance, and range of movement with the Analog Sticks on Sony's controller overtime. Controlling the reticule and Tequila just felt sooo much more fluid and responsive.
With the 360 controller's resistance (which i'm NOT a fan of), aiming and movement just isn't as "smooth" and "deliberate." You can be slightly moving the stick in a direction just for it abruptly shift in response and you go from a walk to a full on run. Its obsessive, but little things like this matter to me. As a whole though, this can be something very much tweaked to no end to get just right (see Resistance: Fall of man). Who knows though, as the final build may have more tweaked response with the 360 controller (as aiming overall felt tightened), couple with the fact they may have had more time polish the controls on the Sixaxis. Also preferred the "deadzone" calibration on the Sixaxis more

-Okay here we go! As far as I could tell after extensively playing BOTH builds back to back, is that they are essentially identical!
Allow me to go into more detail. So I was playing this on a 40inch S2000 Bravia, with the 360 version running through component and the PS3 running HDMI
When I finally launched into the PS3 demo, the first thing I noticed IMMEDIATELY was *gasp*...the color saturation just wasn't as "vibrant" as when I was flipping the input back to my 360 demo running. I thought this might be a similar situation with something like Rainbow Six: Vegas, which on PS3, has a much more subdued/dulled overall color palette.
...Also, the contrast wasn't popping as much....THEN, I realized the nature of running things through component as opposed through HDMI, and how component can tend to bump up saturation on colors and contrast.
Once I got past that, I took that into consideration and moved onto something else...
Next was textures and resolution of them throughout the environment. Here at first I thought the 360 build was maybe throwing out a few more visual tricks, like when staring at some bricks wall, it seemed like some of them might have some "displacement mapping" going on to make the bricks pop out more. When I flipped back and forth though between both inputs, the more and more I saw this wasn't the case. BOTH the 360 version and PS3 version seemingly have the SAME low res-ish textures in the EXACT same places.
Stranglehold as whole, doesn't have the strongest (read muddy) textures in alotta places (walls, NPCs, etc), but I still thought the 360 version might have a few slightly higher-res ones scatter throughout the environment....there isn't. At least from what I could tell flipping back and forth between inputs over and over again....as I said before, texture wise, the two skus are seemingly identical...
Moving on to Aliasing, from what I understand, UE3 doesn't do any real aliasing and in the case with Stranglehold it shows on BOTH versions....so no "free AA" for the 360 version...its just as jaggy as the PS3 version. Though at first I didn't think so, but then I again realized the component input was probably just "smoothing/blurring" things out more.
Now time to move on a to "effects"....namely Massive D
Once again, it appears that Massive D spread carnage is identical on BOTH platforms. I shot up several walls, pillars, tables, chairs, etc. and each time it seemed like both versions were spitting out an identical amount of debris.....with NO slowdown differences
Bloom lighting also appears identical....though at first it seemed like there was more pronounced in the 360 version, especially when going into "tequila time"....upon further inspection, it honestly doesn't seem like it
Finally I'll talk about the framerate. The only real difference in framerate between the PS3 version and the 360 version, is that in the 360 demo it appears like the devs "left Vsync" completely off...hence when looking at walls or in interiors, the framerate shoots up into 60+ fps. The PS3 version doesn't....but it looks like they probably turned Vsync back on in this build, because I didn't notice any tearing and the framerate almost stayed locked at 30fps the entire time....so basically it seems the the performance of both versions are also the same....except the Vsync thing, so I like to hear from somene who has the final retail 360 version and if they could tell me if it appears they turned Vsync back on...
....a comparision would be if you liked Bioshock with the "framerate unlocked" or not...thats the difference here...though your NOT getting a bump in "visual fidelity" with the locked 30fps on the PS3 demo...

-Anothering I noticed with the animations was how it seemed like maybe Tequila's animations had been "polished" just a hair more...It just seemed like he wasn't AS spazzy when moving throughout the environment, then when he was on the 360 build...then again, this could be just attributed to the added "range/lesson resistance" with the SIXAXIS analogs.....

-Once last thing that I'm sure MANY have noticed and have promptly exclaimed, "WTF?!"
What the hell happened to the sound quality in the PS3 demo!!!....
I know this for sure isn't what it will sound like in the final version, but why release a demo with a problem like this....
I'm blocked at work so I can't check the official Midway forums to see if anyone else has noticed or commented on this, but yes, it is very much fucking jarring and I don't understand...I only hope people don't think this is what its SUPPOSED to sound like....cause its not

So in closing though, I'm an now completely satisfied in my decision to preorder the Playstation3 Collector's Edition, for my concerns of it taking some "techinical shortcuts" have been removed....
I hope I answered or hit on some concerns or curiosities as far as both versions go....it certainly seems like the added delay in releasing the Playstation3 versions has payed off

Feel free to ask some questions or debunk my impressions if you feel you observed something widly different

Once again, the difference between this and something else that uses UE3 on playstation 3, namely RS:Vegas, is that Vegas was a full on port, where this is something that was built for both the PS3 and the 360 simutaneosly...and honestly it shows. Bravo Midway and I am a full on believer of UE3 on PS3...bring on Unreal Tournament 3 :D

thanks again if you read all of that :D

...and for those curious, here's the 360 version's Achievement List (no spoilers in there)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reviews

IGN's Review - 8.1

4xlp3rn.jpg

IGN said:
There are a lot of mindless shooters on the market, but none of them immerse you in John Woo's world. And that's where Stranglehold stands out. This is the true sequel to Hard Boiled, which means Stranglehold is more about style than substance. So, not surprisingly, the story is melodramatic and forgettable and the adrenaline-pumping action is the star of the show. Stranglehold could use two more chapters and a little more visual polish, but it is an otherwise exhilarating experience. There are plenty of "Oh my God" moments and just enough challenge to sustain anyone's interest from start to finish.

Gamespot's Review - 7.0

673q4ib.jpg

Gamespot said:
Stranglehold isn't the sort of game that's going to set the shooter genre on fire. It's a more-than-competent take on an existing formula, and it has enough unique moments and overall challenge to succeed. Sure, it gets repetitive at times, it's got a few design quirks, and the multiplayer is borderline irrelevant. But there's enough solid, exciting action here for shooter fans to sink their teeth into. It's a short ride, but an amusing one while it lasts.

1up - 7.5

4zn9wsh.jpg

1up said:
Stranglehold is good enough to present some solid entertainment for the eight or so hours you'll spend playing through the story. And it's certainly good enough to look forward to a sequel, and an opportunity for the developers to put some more meaty gameplay on top of all that pretty tech. But it ultimately ends up as little more than a mindless destruct-a-thon, heavy on style and just a bit too light on substance.

Gametrailers HD Review - 7.7 (Right click Save-as)

Official Playstation Magazine UK - 8

Game Informer - 7.25

Gamepro - 4 out of 5

...rest of the reviews here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving Pictures

43m4fit.jpg

(right-click save-as)

Xbox 360 TV spot

Multiplayer Mayhem

Single-Player Feature

Multiplayer Feature

Multiplayer Dock Destruction

Mutliplayer Guns Blazin!

Massive D Feature

Sizzle Trailer

Interactive Features

Weapons of Stranglehold

Making-of Stranglehold

PS3 Collector's Edition Trailer

PS3 Gamer's Day Walkthrough (actual footage of PS3 version)

1up Show Preview

More PS3 footage

...a little more PS3 footage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....thoughts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6frcwf7.jpg

....So when the "next-gen" consoles were getting ready to launch a couple of years back, there were two "dream" projects that I was heavily anticipating. Projects that I always hoped someday would be made because when I was growing up they meant alot to me.

One of them was Dead Rising. Being a huge Zombie fanatic (which I still very much am) and Dawn of the Dead being one of my fav all time horror films growing up, the premise of Dead Rising sounded just too good to be true. The game was released and it was awesome.

The other project was of course Stranglehold.
Since I had discovered John Woo, Chow Yun Fat, and Hong Kong Blood Opera Cinema in the late ninties when I was a young teen, I've been such an immense fan. So to hear that we were finally going to get a "true John Woo" shooter, I just couldn't believe it and I was just as much of a skeptic as the next guy that it would probably be marginal at best... Especially with the likes of Max Payne 1 and 2 stepping up and owning the gaming space with its extensive homage to HK cinema itself anyway...

Some will dismiss Stranglehold as just another "pretty fun" shooter for the most part...
For me though...well i'm fucking estatic that we finally get to play this and in many ways, the project has a personal resonance with me because of my childhood and what the subject represented when I was growing up with it...
So sure the title may only be 6-7 hours long, have some techinical shortcomings and may not have alotta depth...but for me, that really isn't the point

....i'm just so glad this project was able to finally get made (^__^)

You can currently download the demo for 360 and PS3

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
So Strangehold is a sequel to Hard Boiled? Good stuff. I will probably get this when it comes down to $30 when I pick up a 360 early next year.

AlternativeUlster said:
So Strangehold is a sequel to Hard Boiled? Good stuff. I will probably get this when it comes down to $30 when I pick up a 360 early next year.

yep...a sequel and the first time John woo and Chow Yun Fat have worked together since Hard Boiled
(not counting "Red Cliff" which Chow wasn't able to do)

Brendon

I played this game for hours at E3. I played it for hours when they sent a preview copy. I've played it for hours since I got it in the mail today. Long story short? I really like this game :lol

mr_nothin

Banned
I saw the movie just recently, in my Film Studies class, for the 1st time and man it SUCKED and the whole class agreed that it was just a pretty dumb movie. That last 'scene' (if you can call it that) in the hospital took for freakin ever. It was like a mini movie inside the movie.....

It was probably great in its time but hasent aged well, is what im guessing.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
mr_nothin said:
I saw the movie just recently, in my Film Studies class, for the 1st time and man it SUCKED and the whole class agreed that it was just a pretty dumb movie. That last 'scene' (if you can call it that) in the hospital took for freakin ever. It was like a mini movie inside the movie.....

It's your """"""Film Studies Class""""""" that sucks, friend >:/

It's a really innovative movie in regard of the action. The actions scenes are still good and there's a two-minute continous shot in the hospital at one point. Take that, Children of Men, with your fake long scenes :(

mr_nothin

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
It's your """"""Film Studies Class""""""" that sucks, friend >:/

It's a really innovative movie in regard of the action. The actions scenes are still good and there's a two-minute continous shot (i.e. filming ) in the hospital at one point. Take that, Children of Men, with your fake long scenes :(

I did say that it was probably great in its time and i'm probably just late on it.
The movie as a whole just came off as cheesy with its cars/motorcycles that blow up from 1 gun shot and its super human 'regular' ppl that take out armies and don't get shot once.

I did like Tony's character though...

painey

the demo felt un-inspiring and was very jaggie, but im still picking this up next friday with heavenly sword.

Tenbatsu

Its Tequila Time!:lol

INNOVATIVE TEQUILA TIME MECHANIC
Stranglehold's unique Tequila Time slow-motion system goes well beyond the slow-motion gameplay that typifies so many current action games and allows players to simultaneously aim and shoot at targets with a greater degree of focus. In a case of art imitating art, John Woo is the master and originator of this style of gunplay action and it's taken to a new level in Stranglehold.

Tenbatsu said:
Its Tequila Time!:lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tequila_Slammer

The Tequila Slammer is a cocktail served in a shot glass. It is made with equal parts tequila and a carbonated beverage, often 7 Up, ginger ale, or [European-style] lemonade. Champagne can also be used, and this is called a Slammer Royale. The drink gets its name from the way it is commonly consumed; the usual procedure is to leave about a fifth of the glass empty to allow the drink to fizz, then to hold one's hand over the top of the glass and to slam it onto a hard surface to mix it. The slamming action releases gas bubbles from the mixed drink causing it to foam vigorously. It will then quickly escape the glass if not consumed immediately in one gulp, the result (and intention) of which is swift intoxication.

:D

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
mr_nothin said:
I did say that it was probably great in its time and i'm probably just late on it.
The movie as a whole just came off as cheesy with its cars/motorcycles that blow up from 1 gun shot and its super human 'regular' ppl that take out armies and don't get shot once.

I did like Tony's character though...

Well, yeah, it's Hong Kong action after all. It's way over the top and kind of stupid. That's what makes it charming. :D

mr_nothin said:
The movie as a whole just came off as cheesy with its cars/motorcycles that blow up from 1 gun shot and its super human 'regular' ppl that take out armies and don't get shot once

Thats like the entire point of the heroic bloodshed genre - one guy, usually some kind of ambigious hero, takes on insurmountable odds to achieve his goal with huge, drawn out and highly choreagraphed action sequences and a crap load of bloodshed. Hard Boiled is one of my personal favourites, but if you didn't enjoy it please don't let it sour your view of the whole genre as there are some much more intelligent and entertaining examples of heroic bloodshed out there - specifically 'A Better Tommorow' and 'Bullet in the Head'.

mr_nothin said:

What the hell does it take to impress those people, tap dancing skeletons on fire?
You've got great performances, epic action scenes, badass bad guys, and Anthony Wong. Everything awesome about Hong Kong cinema wrapped into one tasty morsel.

I'm pumped for this game, but its mainly for the liscence, otherwise I would care about Stranglehold perhaps only %20 as much as I do now.
Don't let me down Midway, you're on notice.

Fusebox

Banned
Great thread! Lots of love for Fat and Woo in the first post, I'm a Killer/Hard Boiled fan myself but still not sure if I'll buy this at full price, the demo was fun but the gunplay could be a bit tighter and it's possible it'll all get a bit repetitive after a while.

I'm keen to read peoples impressions when it comes out, thats for sure.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very nicely made thread...

The game is definitely worth a play, even if I have to at the very least rent it...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mr_nothin said:

Hasn't aged well? One of the only gunplay flicks that could possibly top it is The Killer, which John Woo did before Hard Boiled. Kudos to your film studies prof for trying to enlighten you hopeless lot, even if it didn't work.

Well I do admit that I didn't fully appreciate it on my first viewing. It can be an action overload, and also the fox lorber dvd I watched at the time had horrible audio/video quality which took me out of the experience somewhat. After my first viewings of each, I preferred The Killer, but on subsequent viewings (incl. with better releases) Hard Boiled has probably overtaken it.

Woo should've bailed out on hollywood after Hard Target...

John Woo said:
I wasn't used to the Hollywood system when I started shooting Hard Target. Never before in my career had an actor [Van Damme] had final approval over the editing, the script, the casting. [Van Damme] hired his own editor and did his own cut which the producers completely rejected.

Yeah.

DustinC

mr_nothin said:

Christ.

I feel bad for your teacher.

Whoaness

Banned
Wow, Hard Boiled seems like a chinese movie originally. I never seen it. Dubbing is so bad. After seeing that hospital scene, I want to get this game.

But then I recollect the nightmares of watching Spiderman 3 and buying the crappy Spiderman 3 game that had nothing to do with the movie. -_-

As a Max Payne fanatic, I should probably get this. But the Achilles Heel of the series has been its length, and even imitators are falling into the same trap.

mr_nothin said:

Why enroll in a Film class if you don't give two shits about movies?

Whoaness

Banned
mr_nothin said:

Why would a film class show you a Chinese action movie for studying in the first place?

What a quality class you got there.

justjohn

i'm gonna rent just to watch the hard boiled movie. and then play the game till the rental time is up and take it back. dont really care if i finish it or not

mr_nothin

Banned
To me the movie was just corny ok....
I like my share of over the top action movies but this one just didnt do it for me at all. Hell I even like chinese/asian asian flicks.
The so-called action sequences weren't epic at all.

One thing I hated was how Tony got shot in the back with a shotgun at close range, yet he's still hopping and rolling and diving and killing people while..........ok let me stop there.

It's like this, let's swap the movie out with Romeo Must Die. At the time, I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was great.....I saw it again a few months ago and it's the corniest shit ever. Same with "The One" and other such films....

Disclaimer: I'm not directly comparing Romeo Must Die to Hard Boiled nor am I saying they are on the same level.

I just don't see "it"

mr_nothin said:
To me the movie was just corny ok....
I like my share of over the top action movies but this one just didnt do it for me at all. Hell I even like chinese/asian asian flicks.
The so-called action sequences weren't epic at all.

One thing I hated was how Tony got shot in the back with a shotgun at close range, yet he's still hoping and rolling and diving and killing people while..........ok let me stop there.

It's like this, let's swap the movie out with Romeo Must Die. At the time, I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was great.....I saw it again a few months ago and it's the corniest shit ever. Same with "The One" and other such films....

Disclaimer: I'm not directly comparing Romeo Must Die to Hard Boiled nor am I saying they are on the same level.

I just don't see "it"

okay fine...you don't see "it"

....thank you for your time....bye

mr_nothin

Banned
Whoaness said:
Why would a film class show you a Chinese action movie for studying in the first place?

What a quality class you got there.
Maybe because it's considered a classic and it was the last film we viewed...so it was to 'lighten' the class up towards the end. Plus it had subtitles..

Ok, I just thought about something. I wish we watched graveyard of the fireflies. That movie was great! I was totally immersed into it and the subtitles sort of disappeared after a while and it was like I could understand what they were saying....

I want to see that again, i'm going to go rent it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Why enroll in a Film class if you don't give two shits about movies?
Lol, I didn't know that Hardboiled was the only movie available on the face of the planet.

AgentOtaku said:
okay fine...you don't see "it"

....thank you for your time....bye
Welcome :D
Sorry that the movie sucked for me

Rlan

I'm awaiting the acknowledgement of if the Asian version fo 360 is region free or not. Play Asia DID say Sept 5 [at $49.95] but now it says Sept 12th :(

K im blind, NM! :lol

Isnt this game on sale at circuit city this week or next? I did enjoy the demo, but not sure if I enjoyed it enough to pay $60 for this game.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
You forgot the best quote from the movie. "Give a man a gun and he's superman, give him two and he's God."

see very top of page =p

oh and added Achievement list to OP....no spoilers

Too bad the game is short and you have minimum input in the game it's almost like a game on rails. But this is midway we are talking about here.

It's got nothing on Max payne but it's not the worst game out.

macksplack said:
Too bad the game is short and you have minimum input in the game it's almost like a game on rails. But this is midway we are talking about here.

It's got nothing on Max payne but it's not the worst game out.

minimum input?

....have you actually played the final release and also seen what you could do to the environments or how you can use them?
Each firefight playing out differently and each one being more fun than the last one....its what you put into it

throw in unlockables, MP, different "tequila bombs", etc...

hell I'm still playing the demo on a regular basis....

...seriously, have you played Max Payne recently?
.....is still very much an excellent game, but its even more "minimum" than you may care to remember

...Stranglehold is not about how many people you can kill and how fast you can do it....its about looking as "cool" and "cinematic" as possible while doing it....

Kingpen

I got a walmart giftcard for 60 bucks that is either going to be used on this or Ace Combat (can't decide).

I'm looking forward to some people's impressions over the next few days...

I started playing it this weekend (since BB broke the street date) and I enjoy it. The destructible environments are amazing; plenty of "wow" moments to be had. I haven't played much multiplayer, but what I did get to play wasn't as solid as the single player. They were only one-on-one matches though, so maybe with a full room of six people is will be fun.

I watched Hard Boiled recently and I liked it. Definitely worth it as far as mindless entertainment goes. I played the Stranglehold demo as well and liked that but I don't think I'm willing to spend $60 on such a short game. I'll try to rent it because I definitely want to play it.

Top Bottom