• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Stranglehold Thread (behold the power of Blu-Ray!)

just played through first map and some quick impressions:

- !!! UE3 on PS3 is reality !!!

- performance has been improved even more from PSN demo and is pretty much consistant 30fps with Vsync!!!
- Sound issue has indeed been eliminated

- I will flat out fucking tell you that I have NEVER seen Hard Boiled look this good....and I've seen the film many, many times....

- Obviously Hard Boiled film PQ is very old (IE not Spiderman3 quality), but it still looks great!

- Loadtimes are minimal

- controls better with Sixaxis analogs IMO

- Looks IDENTICAL to Xbox360 version

- Hard Boiled access sits on top of main menu....access it by hitting square

- DD5.1 with Hard Boiled. English and Cantonese audio tracks. English Subtitles

- I don't know if the Dragon Dynasty version did indeed end up the version thats with Stranglehold....pretty sure it is though given the cover art all over the game, case and manual.

- fuck this game is soooo much fun if you have the right attitude playing.....I've NEVER had a firefight play out the same way!

In Conclusion so far....Playstation 3 version is INDEED DEFINITIVE VERSION OF STRANGLEHOLD!

....yes the wait was fucking worth it!!!!!!!

AgentOtaku said:
just played through first map and some quick impressions:

- !!! UE3 on PS3 is reality !!!

- performance has been improved even more from PSN demo and is pretty much consistant 30fps with Vsync!!!
- Sound issue has indeed been eliminated

- I will flat out fucking tell you that I have NEVER seen Hard Boiled look this good....and I've seen the film many, many times....

- Obviously Hard Boiled film PQ is very old (IE not Spiderman3 quality), but it still looks great!

- Loadtimes are minimal

- controls better with Sixaxis analogs IMO

- Looks IDENTICAL to Xbox360 version

- Hard Boiled access sits on top of main menu....access it by hitting square

- DD5.1 with Hard Boiled. English and Cantonese audio tracks. English Subtitles

- I don't know if the Dragon Dynasty version did indeed end up the version thats with Stranglehold....pretty sure it is though given the cover art all over the game, case and manual.

- fuck this game is soooo much fun if you have the right attitude playing.....I've NEVER had a firefight play out the same way!

In Conclusion so far....Playstation 3 version is INDEED DEFINITIVE VERSION OF STRANGLEHOLD!

....yes the wait was fucking worth it!!!!!!!
cosigned.

the picture quality in Hard Boiled isn't reference quality, but it is a definate improvement over any versions of the film we've had before and probably as good as its ever going to look. was VERY pleased that it offered cantonese and english subs too.

Elios83

I really want to import, I don't get why Europe can't have the CE with Hardboiled, maybe because different publishers have the rights on the movie in each country.

Aaron

AgentOtaku said:
... but the 360 version runs at 60fps (with moments of slowdown).

I just checked the screengrabs against my Fox Lorber copy of Hard Boiled and there is a VERY noticable increase in detail. It just kicks my old DVD's arse it does.

But...

the image is slightly cropped and streched. A little bit of the outside edges, not a lot, but a bit.
aa08c70d.jpg

On my DVD you can see all three buttons on Tony Leung's wrist and some extra sleeve action as well. The entire spine of the green book on the right can be seen as well. At most you're losing 10-12% of the image. Not a big deal, but something that might be worth noting.

You also can't see the fabric detail, nor can you pick out the texture on the books on my Hard Boiled DVD.

Also, seeing Anthony Wong in HD might be too much awesomeness for your meager entertainment system to handle, so do be careful.

Picture quality on Hard Boiled is kinda crap, but like everyone else says, it's the best the movie has probably ever looked to date.

After all the touting of Blu-ray's superior capacity and how a 50GB disc could fit the movie and the game, they put the collector's edition on a 25GB disc which likely compromised the quality of the movie. I'm also pissed that there's no language option or subtitles.

Also, the framerate on the Xbox 360 demo was sometimes 60 and sometimes 30. On the PS3 it's a pretty much constant 30. I actually prefer a constant 30 than it going back and forth however. It feels more consistent.

All in all however, I do feel the PS3 version is the definitive one, for the consistent framerate and the inclusion of the movie, no matter how artifact-y it may be.

polyh3dron said:
Picture quality on Hard Boiled is kinda crap, but like everyone else says, it's the best the movie has probably ever looked to date.

After all the touting of Blu-ray's superior capacity and how a 50GB disc could fit the movie and the game, they put the collector's edition on a 25GB disc which likely compromised the quality of the movie. I'm also pissed that there's no language option or subtitles.

Also, the framerate on the Xbox 360 demo was sometimes 60 and sometimes 30. On the PS3 it's a pretty much constant 30. I actually prefer a constant 30 than it going back and forth however. It feels more consistent.

All in all however, I do feel the PS3 version is the definitive one, for the consistent framerate and the inclusion of the movie, no matter how artifact-y it may be.

umm....there is English and Cantonese tracks with English subtitles....

Aaron

SapientWolf said:
Not unless the final version runs twice as fast as the demo.
Why would it run twice as fast? FPS stands for Frames Per Second. It's like saying a ton of bricks is heavier than a ton of feathers.

That said, the framerate on the 360 version was fairly inconsistent. It would have been nice if they had pulled a Bioshock and let you choose 30 or 60 for both versions.

Ironballs

My only complaint is that the game needs to be patched to work with the BD remote. Regardless, the PS3 LE still a fantastic value.

Edit: 5.1 mix appears to be nonexitent. Oh well.

Erebus

I've been playing the game since yesterday. It's pretty good and packed with gunfire action! I haven't seen the movie yet though.

Now here's something that bugs me. Has anyone else noticed any slowdown in some of the cut-scenes or is it just me?

Dante

Playing it now, It's pretty fun I'd say 7-7.5 range.

Unreal Engine needs to be phased out however, Ugh can't stand the way it looks when it's not in the hands of Epic.

DarkUSS said:
Now here's something that bugs me. Has anyone else noticed any slowdown in some of the cut-scenes or is it just me?

Not slowdown exactly, but sometimes it just skips a bunch of frames. It's annoying but it's only ever happened during cutscenes.

The game itself is just awesome. Except for the rather poor bomb placing sequence in chapter 2, it's nonstop action of the best kind. I've got two chapters left to play but this is already one of my favorite games this year.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
AgentOtaku said:

I'd say the PC version wins :lol

DCharlie said:
out of interest, do you have the x360 version to compare it to?

here's my opinion

opinion from OP said:
Comparisions between the 360 demo and PS3 demo

- As far controls go, I definetly prefer the control over Tequila with the SIXAXIS! This is due in part that I've really fallen in love with the sensitivity, resistance, and range of movement with the Analog Sticks on Sony's controller overtime. Controlling the reticule and Tequila just felt sooo much more fluid and responsive.
With the 360 controller's resistance (which i'm NOT a fan of), aiming and movement just isn't as "smooth" and "deliberate." You can be slightly moving the stick in a direction just for it abruptly shift in response and you go from a walk to a full on run. Its obsessive, but little things like this matter to me. As a whole though, this can be something very much tweaked to no end to get just right (see Resistance: Fall of man). Who knows though, as the final build may have more tweaked response with the 360 controller (as aiming overall felt tightened), couple with the fact they may have had more time polish the controls on the Sixaxis. Also preferred the "deadzone" calibration on the Sixaxis more

-Okay here we go! As far as I could tell after extensively playing BOTH builds back to back, is that they are essentially identical!
Allow me to go into more detail. So I was playing this on a 40inch S2000 Bravia, with the 360 version running through component and the PS3 running HDMI
When I finally launched into the PS3 demo, the first thing I noticed IMMEDIATELY was *gasp*...the color saturation just wasn't as "vibrant" as when I was flipping the input back to my 360 demo running. I thought this might be a similar situation with something like Rainbow Six: Vegas, which on PS3, has a much more subdued/dulled overall color palette.
...Also, the contrast wasn't popping as much....THEN, I realized the nature of running things through component as opposed through HDMI, and how component can tend to bump up saturation on colors and contrast.
Once I got past that, I took that into consideration and moved onto something else...
Next was textures and resolution of them throughout the environment. Here at first I thought the 360 build was maybe throwing out a few more visual tricks, like when staring at some bricks wall, it seemed like some of them might have some "displacement mapping" going on to make the bricks pop out more. When I flipped back and forth though between both inputs, the more and more I saw this wasn't the case. BOTH the 360 version and PS3 version seemingly have the SAME low res-ish textures in the EXACT same places.
Stranglehold as whole, doesn't have the strongest (read muddy) textures in alotta places (walls, NPCs, etc), but I still thought the 360 version might have a few slightly higher-res ones scatter throughout the environment....there isn't. At least from what I could tell flipping back and forth between inputs over and over again....as I said before, texture wise, the two skus are seemingly identical...
Moving on to Aliasing, from what I understand, UE3 doesn't do any real aliasing and in the case with Stranglehold it shows on BOTH versions....so no "free AA" for the 360 version...its just as jaggy as the PS3 version. Though at first I didn't think so, but then I again realized the component input was probably just "smoothing/blurring" things out more.
Now time to move on a to "effects"....namely Massive D
Once again, it appears that Massive D spread carnage is identical on BOTH platforms. I shot up several walls, pillars, tables, chairs, etc. and each time it seemed like both versions were spitting out an identical amount of debris.....with NO slowdown differences
Bloom lighting also appears identical....though at first it seemed like there was more pronounced in the 360 version, especially when going into "tequila time"....upon further inspection, it honestly doesn't seem like it
Finally I'll talk about the framerate. The only real difference in framerate between the PS3 version and the 360 version, is that in the 360 demo it appears like the devs "left Vsync" completely off...hence when looking at walls or in interiors, the framerate shoots up into 60+ fps. The PS3 version doesn't....but it looks like they probably turned Vsync back on in this build, because I didn't notice any tearing and the framerate almost stayed locked at 30fps the entire time....so basically it seems the the performance of both versions are also the same....except the Vsync thing, so I like to hear from somene who has the final retail 360 version and if they could tell me if it appears they turned Vsync back on...
....a comparision would be if you liked Bioshock with the "framerate unlocked" or not...thats the difference here...though your NOT getting a bump in "visual fidelity" with the locked 30fps on the PS3 demo...

-Anothering I noticed with the animations was how it seemed like maybe Tequila's animations had been "polished" just a hair more...It just seemed like he wasn't AS spazzy when moving throughout the environment, then when he was on the 360 build...then again, this could be just attributed to the added "range/lesson resistance" with the SIXAXIS analogs.....

Ikuu said:
I'd say the PC version wins :lol

only if you have a beefy comp and don't care about having Hard-boiled...

Erebus

BobJustBob said:
Not slowdown exactly, but sometimes it just skips a bunch of frames. It's annoying but it's only ever happened during cutscenes.

The game itself is just awesome. Except for the rather poor bomb placing sequence in chapter 2, it's nonstop action of the best kind. I've got two chapters left to play but this is already one of my favorite games this year.

So there is nothing wrong with my PS3 if you noticed it too... phew good to hear that.:D

Fry's had the Stranglehold CE for $54.99, so I picked it up tonight. Probably mainly for Hard Boiled but the game looks to be decent fun.

Aaron

AgentOtaku said:
here's my opinion
Don't compare one full game to a demo. Just don't. There's very little tearing in the final 360 version and frame drops only during the particularly intense moments. Now I haven't played the final PS3 game so I won't compare, but I really appreciated 60FPS here, especially after so many other games wussed out with 30 this generation.

Aaron said:
Don't compare one full game to a demo. Just don't. There's very little tearing in the final 360 version and frame drops only during the particularly intense moments. Now I haven't played the final PS3 game so I won't compare, but I really appreciated 60FPS here, especially after so many other games wussed out with 30 this generation.

really?

...I was under the impression that they threw Vsync back on in the final retail 360 build so it was just locked at 30 again....

oh well...

just don't

...calm down there buddy

And I beat it tonight. The bomb stuff in the second level was somewhat lame, but the rest of the game was great. It's probably between this and EDF2017 for best shooter of the year.

Nizz

I really appreciate your impressions on the PS3 version of this game. You got across many points about the game that I was wondering about (performance, quality of the graphics, quality of Hard Boiled on the Blu-ray). The sad thing for me is this title is being released at a tough time. With upcoming titles like COD 4 and Uncharted, I just don't have the extra money to get this. Shame, really. This is one title imo that would have benefitted greatly by being released back in early Sept. (on PS3). I still have every intention on picking this up, though the Collector's Edition may be harder to find in a couple of months.

Any PAL PS3 owners import it yet? I'm getting the CE shipped to me along with Silent Hill Origins when it releases and am still feeling slightly nervous about region locking even though Midway themselves said the game wouldn't be after that rumor hit some months back.

Dante

On the last section now, I'd say that it's the perfect legnth because it's starting to feel a tad repetitive.

Erebus

Gokurakumaru said:
Any PAL PS3 owners import it yet? I'm getting the CE shipped to me along with Silent Hill Origins when it releases and am still feeling slightly nervous about region locking even though Midway themselves said the game wouldn't be after that rumor hit some months back.

I'm from Europe and I imported the CE. :D Nothing to worry about, the game works like a charm on my PAL PS3.

speculawyer said:
Fry's had the Stranglehold CE for $54.99, so I picked it up tonight. Probably mainly for Hard Boiled but the game looks to be decent fun.

$54.99? Is that a typo cuz I thought the ad said $64.99

AgentOtaku said:

There are plenty of films from the 40s-70s that look tons better than Hard Boiled...age isn't the problem, it is the production and the lack of care for the original elements.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
There are plenty of films from the 40s-70s that look tons better than Hard Boiled...age isn't the problem, it is the production and the lack of care for the original elements.

yep and thats also what I was implying...for a semi-old Hong Kong film, the transfer is rather good considering the source

Elios83

Is it possible to have english subtitles in Hardboiled?
I'm still deciding to import the CE edition from the US :D :D

TSAR

I just picked up the PS3 Collector's Edition yesterday (haven't watched hard boiled yet...) and think that this actually tops Max Payne for me

My only gripe so far is that the missions seem kinda long... I keep having to pause my triple for hours at a time.

kuYuri

Just got the PS3 CE version. After putting it in, it said it needed to download an update, which was 1.2.

Does anyone know what this 1.2 update did?

-Rogue5-

Kind of off topic, but does anyone have a complete (as in, with Hard Boiled -- or is it all on one BDrom?) copy of the PS3 CE for sale?

Top Bottom