• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Stranglehold Thread (behold the power of Blu-Ray!)

akihara said:
Wait, has it been pushed back from the 25th? that would make it Oct 2nd. Is this correct?
Well, yesaterday, GS told me they were getting it Tuesday, and all the sites i checked said the 18th as well. Today everything says the 25th.

Rented the 360 version last night and played for 2-3 hours. It's definitely a fun little game, but it can get frustrating at times because sometimes there is TOO MUCH shooting. To the point where you can't really find a strategy you just have to keep running, shooting and healing. But I'm having fun.

I finished the game last night on Normal. And even on Normal the last couple levels are pretty damn hard. I can't imagine playing the game on Hard or Hard Boiled. I'm playing through again on Casual just to grab some more of the achievements before I have to return the game. Working 30 hours a week and taking 15 credits makes me busy enough. I've tried to play online a few times but I can't find any games...Bad luck and lack of people playing I guess.

gandda

Banned
damn i am so happy this got delayed again for ps3. now i can start saving ~$1.50/day for the collector's edition. i just played the super fantastic demo and that was too short of a notice for me

Grecco

Im playing this as well. Let me just say that helicopter section is one of the worst sections in the history of gaming.

gimz

i saw this game in HMV today, and it was $CAD 79 dollars :lol:
79 dollars + 15% tax is fucking 90 CAD lol

RBH

AgentOtaku said:
....um WTF!

why oh why is Gamestop listing it for 29th of fucking Oct. now!

sheesh....

Link

EDIT:....looks Like Amazon is now listing it for 29th of October as well.....

Delayed again? :lol

It's funny how they can't seem to decide on a set release date.

rkenshin

For the 360 Collector's version, you play the Hard Boiled on the HD-DVD addon?

I'm just guessing since it's supposedly HiDef

I just beat the PC version. I can´t understand why so many people hate this game. Maybe i am the only one who likes it when the screen is full of flying bullets :lol

But its too short :-(

I really hope there will be a sequel :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
I just finished this game, it was SUPER FUN but also SUPER SHORT. Only paid $39 but even so, that's quite a few bucks per hour.

It has the best achievement ever though: "Met John Woo"

Sho Nuff said:
I just finished this game, it was SUPER FUN but also SUPER SHORT. Only paid $39 but even so, that's quite a few bucks per hour.

:lol

....still waiting on my PS3 version at the end of the month =(

really hope Midway locked that shit down as far as UE3 is concerned

Aaron

Sho Nuff said:

It also has the worst achievement, cap 100 peeps online as John Woo. -_-

The single player game though is the best I've played all year (yes, even over Bioshock). It is short, like six hours, but I definitely plan on replaying it on hard boiled mode. Amazing how much debris can fill the air around you with no slowdown at all. There was only one small area where the game chugged. Otherwise, it was so smooth it was hard to believe it was running on UE3.

Can't say for sure if it's worth buying, but you got to rent it at least.

I dunno. Sparks?

Seriously though, maybe the movie features some of those interactive Blu-Ray menus that aren't implemented yet.

BobJustBob said:
I dunno. Sparks?

Seriously though, maybe the movie features some of those interactive Blu-Ray menus that aren't implemented yet.

thats being optomistic....

I honestly think it will just be the movie with the option to hit play/pause and thats it, because they haven't hyped it really AT ALL besides mentioning it will be there

...I dunno, I just really nervous when its get reaaally quiet like this....like they never put out an official statement about it even being delayed till the end of Oct.

Aaron

McLovin said:
Thinking about getting this game for the ps3. How do you 360 owners like Stranglehold? Hows the online?
Don't buy it for the online. Just don't. You'd be better off playing the Darkness online.

McLovin

JdFoX187 said:
Laggy, disjointed and just plain shitty.
Since the game is short I was depending on the online being good.. I guess this one is a rental then.. or maybe bargain bin in a year or so.

Sho Nuff

Banned
For giggles I downloaded the PS3 demo. The sound quality was HORRIBLE. And the audio kept dropping out and eventually cut out altogether. WTF?

The game looked the same as the 360 one though.

akihara

Sho Nuff said:
For giggles I downloaded the PS3 demo. The sound quality was HORRIBLE. And the audio kept dropping out and eventually cut out altogether. WTF?

The game looked the same as the 360 one though.

There was a known bug with the PS3 demo audio, something to do with optical audio. It is supposed to be fixed in the final build.

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the quality of Hard Boiled on the CE? I have this sinking feeling that it is going to be crap, or at least have something wrong with it (wrong aspect ratio, bad subs, bad audio, something). Can't decide if I should spend my $70 on this or EOJ!

SRG01

akihara said:
There was a known bug with the PS3 demo audio, something to do with optical audio. It is supposed to be fixed in the final build.

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the quality of Hard Boiled on the CE? I have this sinking feeling that it is going to be crap, or at least have something wrong with it (wrong aspect ratio, bad subs, bad audio, something). Can't decide if I should spend my $70 on this or EOJ!

No one knows. It's apparently a different transfer than the existing HD Hard Boiled that's out there already.

I really didn't care for this game at all. I couldn't even be bothered to play through the game a second time while I had it on rental.

The online play is absolutely worthless as well. It's on the same level as The Darkness as far as I'm concerned.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I can't wait to actually play this game next week. I've held off to get the Hard Boiled Blu Ray bonus when i could have been rocking this on 360 a month ago.

akihara said:

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

nope...nothing at all has been mentioned about Hard Boiled.....i'm just as concerned as you are

still picking up my copy next week, so we'll see...

Elios83

AgentOtaku said:
so yeah....Stranglehold PS3 ships today

........anyone heard anything?

I second this question.
Has anyone picked up the CE edition today? I'm thinking about importing it (beacuse the european version doesn't come with Hard Boiled).

painey

I was excited about this game, but honestly, its probably the one title (360) i regret buying to this day. Really piss poor game sadly. Wish I had got Hard Boiled in HD with it, would have at least justified the price.

Elios83

AgentOtaku said:
IGN review is up

....and its pretty much copy and paste from 360 version....for shame IGN

LOL they waited over a month for a copy and paste :lol They could have written something about the CE with Hardboiled at least!

SRG01

Oni Jazar said:
So no word at all about Hardboiled anywhere?

The internet fails me.

Bleh, what did you expect? It was unexpectedly delayed for an extra month so everyone lost interest.

Oni Jazar

SRG01 said:
Bleh, what did you expect? It was unexpectedly delayed for an extra month so everyone lost interest.

I think it's a little news worthy considering it's the first 50Gb game disc and the first game that comes with a full featured film.

Haklong

Best Buy in my area has the PS3 version in stock. So I would check your locale Best Buy if you are looking for the PS3 version.

vpance

Guy at AVS has the movie and posted some screens: Link

def50b71.jpg

Looks ok for HD version I suppose. Probably better than most expected.

I just picked up my CE copy right now.

how long is this game? I have other games I bought with it, I might as well knock out the short ones first.

snorggy

us poor canadians don't get the CE... so i have to import it... but the regular edition hit futureshop today...

any word on if the audio is fixed for the full game? it was horrible in the demo.

just picked up my CE....will post some impressions later tonight :D

Linkzg said:
I just picked up my CE copy right now.

how long is this game? I have other games I bought with it, I might as well knock out the short ones first.

like 7-8 hours or so.....but if your a CYF/John fan as much as I am....well I plan on replaying and replaying this for quite awhile :D

Top Bottom