• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big-E said:
Who has Anderson fought? Hedo was not in his prime by any means and his biggest wins are Marquardt and Rich Franklin. GSP has destroyed Hughes twice and has beaten Penn twice and has avenged all of his losses. Lets look at their last 4 fights, GSP absolutely dominates Alves, Penn, Fitch and Sera while Anderson looks mediocre against Cote and Leites and his only notable win is Hendo.
Penn and Serra are no good at welterweight, especially against a guy as strong as GSP. Those were just silly matchups. The way GSP dominated Fitch and Alves is really not that far off from how Anderson has dominated his last two fights. He did less damage but none of those four fights ever looked they were in any danger of being stopped.

You make it sound like Franklin, Hendo, and Marquardt are nobodies. I thought those wins were extremely impressive, and I would say that Hendo was in his prime - are you saying he's on the tail end of his career now?

Big-E

BigKaboom2 said:
Penn and Serra are no good at welterweight, especially against a guy as strong as GSP. Those were just silly matchups. The way GSP dominated Fitch and Alves is really not that far off from how Anderson has dominated his last two fights. He did less damage but none of those four fights ever looked they were in any danger of being stopped.

You make it sound like Franklin, Hendo, and Marquardt are nobodies. I thought those wins were extremely impressive, and I would say that Hendo was in his prime - are you saying he's on the tail end of his career now?

I am sorry but if you believe this then something is wrong with you.

Zeliard said:
it's because everyone could see that Silva could have finished those matches fairly quickly but decided to keep stalling
He might have been able to finish Leites from top guard, but I still don't think it would have been the right decision to try to do so against someone with the BJJ skills of Thales.

Big-E said:
I am sorry but if you believe this then something is wrong with you.
Errr...ok?

Big-E

BigKaboom2 said:
Errr...ok?

Anderson made Cote and Leites, two people who probably didn't even deserve title shots look like they could hang with the champ while GSP made two of the biggest contenders to his belt look like they were in different leagues. Ya I am sure that Anderson dominated his opponents like GSP did. Oh and GSP pulled a groin and still pressed the fight while Anderson was busy punching thighs.

Big-E said:
Anderson made Cote and Leites, two people who probably didn't even deserve title shots look like they could hang with the champ while GSP made two of the biggest contenders to his belt look like they were in different leagues.

While Cote put up a good fight, at no point did Leites look like he could hang with Anderson. And that's why he kept flopping on the ground.

He kept flopping on the ground because that's where he had the best chance to win. He was never ever going to beat Anderson in a striking match so I don't know why anyone expected him to stand there and get destroyed.

Ive been out of the loop a bit when it comes to MMA, so could someone inform me on Diego Sanchez? His record is 20ish-2 I believe, so why isnt he in the picture?

Zeliard

Look at Jon Fitch post-GSP:

32zlw6u.jpg

This is a guy who's only loss in the Octagon was that very one, against GSP.

Thiago Alves also didn't end up looking much better after GSP got through with him.

This is what Anderson Silva is capable of making great fighters look like post-fight:

2lihmxg.jpg

The guy just doesn't care anymore, or at least clearly hasn't in his past two fights. That's why he got all the criticism. I hope Forrest Griffin wakes his ass up.

Zeliard

BigKaboom2 said:
He kept flopping on the ground because that's where he had the best chance to win. He was never ever going to beat Anderson in a striking match so I don't know why anyone expected him to stand there and get destroyed.

He wasn't on the ground the entire fight. There were good stretches where both were standing and yet Anderson Silva was completely non-aggressive and just didn't care. He prefers to dance around and do inexplicably strange things like try to help Cote up when he was down, in the middle of a round.

It'd be one thing if that was just one fight, but it was two in a row. Silva usually starts off by feeling his opponent out for the first round, and then he opens up on them. We haven't seen that at all lately. He seemed perfectly content to just sit back and not do much, which would be fine for most fighters, but not one as ridiculously talented as him.

Fedor would get the same sort of criticism if he did something like that, but he's always looking to finish, which is a big part of what makes him so dominant. Anderson Silva used to always look to finish as well.

Zeliard said:
It'd be one thing if that was just one fight, but it was two in a row. Silva usually starts off by feeling his opponent out for the first round, and then he opens up on them. We haven't seen that at all lately. He seemed perfectly content to just sit back and not do much, which would be fine for most fighters, but not one as ridiculously talented as him.

I think it's just a result of him being bored with his weight class to be honest. He's cleared it out and doesn't really fear anyone there anymore. When he fought Irvin he was completely on his game and shredded him rather quickly.

yacobod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think it's just a result of him being bored with his weight class to be honest. He's cleared it out and doesn't really fear anyone there anymore. When he fought Irvin he was completely on his game and shredded him rather quickly.

i agree to an extent, cote, irvin, and leites are b-level fighters, will be interesting to see how he comes out against forrest, if he pulls that shit against griffin he's going to lose

speaking of brokeass Rich Franklin, a rematch of Dan Henderson vs Rich was announced today for UFC 103. Hope Hendo pulls it out to set up a title shot.

Zeliard

Anderson Silva isn't going to get away with messing around vs a large, rangy, aggressive fighter like Forrest.

I think that's when we'll see the true Spider wake up again. I definitely agree that he's bored with the competition at 185. Hell, he's moving up to 205 temporarily, so he must be. There's no reason to other than the challenge.

I kinda wish Silva would just stay at 205. He's so ridiculously fit and thick at 205 (dude looked scary vs Irvin). He isn't a small light heavyweight at all.

Zeke

agrajag said:
Does UFC have any kind of incentive for action-packed fights? I remember reading that Pride had bonuses for winning fights via knock-outs, which is why Pride fights were so brutal.
yea there is Hendo got a huge bonus for his epic KO

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Zeliard said:
]

The guy just doesn't care anymore, or at least clearly hasn't in his past two fights. That's why he got all the criticism. I hope Forrest Griffin wakes his ass up.

I thought in his last 2 fights the dudes where both to scarred to do anything with him.

Asbel

Big-E said:
Who has Anderson fought? Hedo was not in his prime by any means and his biggest wins are Marquardt and Rich Franklin. GSP has destroyed Hughes twice and has beaten Penn twice and has avenged all of his losses. Lets look at their last 4 fights, GSP absolutely dominates Alves, Penn, Fitch and Sera while Anderson looks mediocre against Cote and Leites and his only notable win is Hendo.
This is really not giving Hendo and Silva their due. Hendo was the Pride 205 and 185 lbs champ before coming to the UFC. He lost a close decision to Rampage then got choked out by Anderson. Hendo was definitely in his prime. Anderson's definitive win over an ex champ of two weight divisions was what sealed his spot as #1 p4p at the time. Whether he still should be is debatable.

yacobod

Banned
idk henderson is 38 years old, calling him in his prime atm is probably stretching it a bit, i'd say he's probably a little past his prime

For dem and everyone else that was crying about Hendo's extra elbow:

Michael Bisping, knocked out at UFC 100 by Dan Henderson, has insisted that he holds no ill-feeling towards the American fighter, and would have done the same had he been in the same position.

There was outrage in some quarters after Henderson planted a forearm across Bisping’s jaw after he had been knocked to the ground, but the British mixed martial artist knows it is part of the sport.

Bisping explained: “I know there’s been some controversy, but I don’t have any bad feelings about him landing that second shot when I was on the ground. That MMA, you keep hitting until the ref pulls you off. I would have done the same to Dan.”
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...g-towards-henderson-would-have-done-the-same/

Zeliard

It's not the forearm shiver that people had issue with. It was Hendo's comments afterwards saying he did it on purpose knowing that Bisping was out, to "shut him up".

For the record, I didn't particularly care one way or the other. Not the greatest thing for mainstream appeal, though.

He answered a direct question. How is that any different than Bisping saying he would have done the exact same thing?

And as long as Lesnar is the HW champ, the detractors will have plenty of ammo -- I'll take a single late hit over an obnoxious harangue from Brock any day of the week.

Nitemare1

yacobod said:
idk henderson is 38 years old, calling him in his prime atm is probably stretching it a bit, i'd say he's probably a little past his prime

It's not so much about his age as this is the best his skills seem to have ever been. If he were 10 years younger he'd probably be unstoppable. Then again without the experience maybe not. In a sport where a lot of fights are decided in the first round I don't think age has quite the determining factor it does in something like boxing.

Zeliard

OptimoPeach said:
He answered a direct question. How is that any different than Bisping saying he would have done the exact same thing?

Late hits are much more common than not. Why do you think some took issue with Hendo's late hit? It was specifically because of his post-fight comments. Bisping is saying he would have done the same thing because the fight doesn't end till the ref stops it. Hendo said he did it on purpose knowing that Bisping was already knocked out because he wanted to punish him more. That's not the same thing at all.

But again, I don't think it's some huge deal, and it's clearly in the past now. It's old news, and Hendo was pretty quick to apologize.

Asbel

yacobod said:
If this is in reference to my post, I said Hendo was in his prime at the time of the Silva fight. And I'd say Randy is in his prime at 44, or is it 45 now? They've both taken good care of their physical condition.

OptimoPeach said:
People hate Bisping for being an ass too.

yacobod

Banned
randy couture is not in his prime man, a male's typical physical prime is around 30-31 years old, how is a 44 year old guy in his prime??

i like randy as much as the next guy, but he's way past his prime

Big-E

Asbel said:
If this is in reference to my post, I said Hendo was in his prime at the time of the Silva fight. And I'd say Randy is in his prime at 44, or is it 45 now? They've both taken good care of their physical condition.

You can argue they are still in great shape and can still get it done but saying prime condition is fucking ludicrous.

Asbel

Ok, we're talking about mma here, not weightlifting where the only thing that matters is muslces. I only brought up physical condition to point out they haven't gotten really weak and slow for their age ala shamrock. As fighters though, their skill in combination with their physical condition have never been better, or it's at least hard to argue imo.

I am talking about being in a fighter's prime because this is an mma thread. How can you say someone isn't in their prime as a fighter when Couture was HW champ not too long ago and Hendo gave a prime Rampage one of his toughest fights before fighting Anderson? Not being in your physical prime doesn't mean you can't be better as a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom