• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZombieSupaStar said:
its funny its like we are seeing the reactions that wrestling fans from the 70s would have if they had message boards back then, its all a work people, god you fucking marks....

CHA CHING CHA CHING! :lol
Please just keep that wrestling shit out of here.

We need to bring in some more pro wrestlers
Fuck no.

agrajag said:
Yeah, that would be great...

eh its all about making money, anyone who doesnt work for that reason is a fool imo. You'd think budlight would see a spike in sales since everyone hates brock, its coors that should be pissed off:lol

edit: and hasnt it been shown that there is a lot of crossover from wrestling to ufc now, in terms of ratings/viewer demographics, when they began TUF after Raws timeslot? That could be both a blessing and a curse.

Hellraizer said:
Please just keep that wrestling shit out of here.

Fuck no.

thats what lesnar and white even said it was, be more pissed your fans fell for it.

20090715.jpg

yeah, pretty much.

"Real Fighting" isnt very exciting 90% of the time, the other 10% is awesome though.

Zeliard

Mousasi on Fedor:

He spent a week training in Amsterdam with Affliction headliner Fedor Emelianenko and said he didn’t feel much smaller than the 230-pound Emelianenko.

“I felt bigger than him, to tell you the truth,” Mousasi said. “But you learn very quickly why he’s so great. He moves like he’s a middleweight, but he has the strength and the power of a heavyweight. As far as I’ve seen, there is nobody like him.”

Yahoo

Mousasi was a middleweight who moved up to light heavyweight. Gives you an idea of how small Fedor really is for a heavyweight, and also how rare even his physical gifts are.

nightez

Banned
The Sherdog rankings are wrong imo. I regard "Pound 4 Pound" as the best fighter technically speaking whilst taking size and weight into consideration. With that said I don't see how Anderson Silver and GSP can be considered pound for pound champs. These are guys who cut serious weight, are usually larger physically than their opponents and will rarely fighter anyone bigger than them. I dont see GSP out-wrestling someone with 40KGs over him. And Anderson probably walks around very close to a heavy weight.

Fedor is almost always smaller than most of his opponents, is outweighed sometimes by huge amounts and at 6 foot he's short for that weight category. A small heavyweight but he routinely outclasses men towering above him using superior technique and strategy. In my mind that makes him the p4p champ.

Its interesting that weight cutting isn't as big in Asia or Eastern Europe. If Fedor came from a US wrestling background he'd surely be fighting at light heavy or even middle weight. Watch Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100 he's fighting a guy that's ridiculously huge compared to him. They should weigh people on the day of the fight me thinks.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
nightez said:
They should weigh people on the day of the fight me thinks.

People would still cut. The result would just be far more dangerous and we'd see more conditioning problems.

Asbel

nightez said:
The Sherdog rankings are wrong imo. I regard "Pound 4 Pound" as the best fighter technically speaking whilst taking size and weight into consideration. With that said I don't see how Anderson Silver and GSP can be considered pound for pound champs. These are guys who cut serious weight, are usually larger physically than their opponents and will rarely fighter anyone bigger than them. I dont see GSP out-wrestling someone with 40KGs over him. And Anderson probably walks around very close to a heavy weight.

Fedor is almost always smaller than most of his opponents, is outweighed sometimes by huge amounts and at 6 foot he's short for that weight category. A small heavyweight but he routinely outclasses men towering above him using superior technique and strategy. In my mind that makes him the p4p champ.

Its interesting that weight cutting isn't as big in Asia or Eastern Europe. If Fedor came from a US wrestling background he'd surely be fighting at light heavy or even middle weight. Watch Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100 he's fighting a guy that's ridiculously huge compared to him. They should weigh people on the day of the fight me thinks.

I don't see how the bigger size of Fedor's opponents proves Fedor has more skill than GSP and Silva. I would argue a skilled opponent of the same weight takes more technique to beat than a bigger opponent of no skill, especially at HW where they get considerably slower and gas faster.

nightez

Banned
Asbel said:
I don't see how the bigger size of Fedor's opponents proves Fedor has more skill than GSP and Silva. I would argue a skilled opponent of the same weight takes more technique to beat than a bigger opponent of no skill, especially at HW where they get considerably slower and gas faster.
You missed the point. If Fedor fought light heavy or middle he'd be dominating those weight classes as well.

Asbel

That's why I said 'I don't see'. Are you trying to say that Silva and GSP only look good because they beat up guys 2 weight classes below them?

Article on the Brock double standard

When Lesnar stepped out of the dressing room for his first match with Mir in February 2008, no debuting fighter in UFC history was ever so heavily booed. At that point, he had done nothing to be judged on in his UFC career – except that in his two previous careers, as a college wrestler for the University of Minnesota and as a pro wrestler for World Wrestling Entertainment, he had risen to the top.

The reaction was entirely based on the fact that he was a pro wrestler coming into the UFC. The reaction came from a fan base that judged him as somehow different from the pro wrestlers who came before him into the UFC.

What if the Lesnar and Dan Henderson fights and postfights on Saturday night were transposed? If Lesnar had thrown that totally legal but devastating second blow on an already knocked-out foe – and remarked in his interview that he was doing it to shut Mir's mouth – people would have spent the past week demanding that he be banned from the sport. And would Henderson have gotten nearly Lesnar's heat if he had pulled the same postfight antics as Lesnar?

You want to deny there's a double standard here?

As Georges St. Pierre continually took down Thiago Alves in their welterweight title fight, the crowd cheered every takedown. Even when St. Pierre wasn't doing damage on the ground, he was being cheered wildly the entire fight.

In round two, as Lesnar had Mir on the ground and was punching his face in less than 30 seconds before the fight was over, there was a loud chant aimed at referee Herb Dean of "stand them up."

This was a first in UFC history. Not the chant itself, but it being done when a fighter was pummeling the other and actually seconds away from winning. It was the first time a crowd hated a fighter so much that they were willing to pervert the entire framework of what the sport is supposed to be – that a fighter should do what he can to finish a fight – simply because they wanted that fighter to lose so badly.

Of all the pro wrestlers who have come into the sport, only two – Lesnar and non-UFC fighter Bobby Lashley – have ever been disrespected by fellow fighters for being a pro wrestler. In Lesnar's four UFC fights, only one opponent didn't throw some kind of variation on "It's not the WWE" at him before the fight. In hyping the match, Mir implied Lesnar was strong but clueless when it came to fighting. Heath Herring and his camp had complained behind the scenes to company officials that it was a joke he was even put in the ring with a fake pro wrestler and made public comments about how the punches were going to be real.

The only opponent who didn't disrespect Lesnar before the fight was Couture. The only opponent Lesnar didn't trash talk afterward was Couture. Coincidence?

And Mir probably won't be the last, given the fact that his potential next opponent, Shane Carwin, already has played the pro-wrestling card in starting the hype.

"We have no scripts in this port, no predetermined earning amount and no predetermined outcomes," Carwin said.

Just as tennis had John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, and boxing had Muhammad Ali, and football has Terrell Owens, it is good for the sport to have a great villain. You don't want a sport where everyone is like him; but when push comes to shove, Lesnar is great for the sport, just as St. Pierre is in a very different way.

The duality of the reaction of the crowds, in comparing the reactions to what Lesnar and Henderson said, and how Lesnar and St. Pierre formulated their winning game plans, says something pretty significant about the sport and its fan base.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15547/bro...fc-100-antics-brims-with-double-standards.mma

Seems pretty spot on to me.

Shouldn't the fact that there are plenty of pro wrestlers in MMA that don't get booed prove that there isn't a double standard, and the people hate Brock because he is a dick and got undeserved opportunities?

charsace

BamYouHaveAids said:
Shouldn't the fact that there are plenty of pro wrestlers in MMA that don't get booed prove that there isn't a double standard, and the people hate Brock because he is a dick and got undeserved opportunities?
Brock was a main event wrestler in the WWE. He is the first prowrestler to come to MMA with the level of fame he had in fake wrestling.

BamYouHaveAids said:

No, because as the article pointed out, Brock was getting heavily booed by fans before he got any title shot. He was booed heavily all the way back to the first Mir fight (his first fight in the UFC). He's also the highest profile wrestler to make it into the UFC, and it's coming at a time when the sport is trying to break into the mainstream.

SolidSnakex said:
No, because as the article pointed out, Brock was getting heavily booed by fans before he got any title shot. He was booed heavily all the way back to the first Mir fight (his first fight in the UFC). He's also the highest profile wrestler to make it into the UFC, and it's coming at a time when the sport is trying to break into the mainstream.
Machida got booed during his fight with Soko and he got booed even louder during his fight with Tito. The fact is fans cheer for established fighters they are familar with, they also become aware of their styles and might cheer for the very same thing they boo someone else for doing. Lesnar getting booed during his debut in Mir's hometown isn't surprising and his coments on how he was going to dominate the sport pre-UFC didn't do him any favors. Lashley is a pro wrestler, hell, he still wrestles and yet he doesn't catch anywhere near the amount of hate as Lesnar.

ElNino

nightez said:
They should weigh people on the day of the fight me thinks.
I don't think that would make much difference. When I wrestled in high school I cut 20 lbs to make weight the morning of the tournament and was still able to compete at a high level (winning some and finishing top 3 in almost every tournament my last couple of years).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I don't think people hate Brock because he was an entertainer.
People hate that he was given a free pass to the top of the rankings because he was an entertainer.

Despite how people try to downplay it,giving people like that a free pass diminishes the legitimacy of MMA as a sport and its ranking system and not just as a tough guy competition.

Has he proven that he's qualified..sure. However if he had to go 10-0 before getting a title show everyone would have respected him and there would have been 8 other fighters that would have had a chance to beat him before progressing in the rankings just like they have to. Shane Carwin is a perfect example of that.

So I do dislike Brock for being the douchbag he is, and I can't wait for someone to knockhim out of the game,since i don't believe brock will accept anything less that top dollar and top billing.
And I resent him, Dana and Zuffa for damaging their own companies perception of being a real sport just for the sake of a payday.

agrajag

Banned
bloodydrake said:
People hate that he was given a free pass to the top of the rankings because he was an entertainer.

Despite how people try to downplay it,giving people like that a free pass diminishes the legitimacy of MMA as a sport and its ranking system and not just as a tough guy competition.

Has he proven that he's qualified..sure. However if he had to go 10-0 before getting a title show everyone would have respected him and there would have been 8 other fighters that would have had a chance to beat him before progressing in the rankings just like they have to. Shane Carwin is a perfect example of that.

So I do dislike Brock for being the douchbag he is, and I can't wait for someone to knockhim out of the game,since i don't believe brock will accept anything less that top dollar and top billing.
And I resent him, Dana and Zuffa for damaging their own companies perception of being a real sport just for the sake of a payday.

This. He should have had to pay his dues and climb his way to the top like everyone else. I hope Shane Carwin knocks him the fuck out.

thats what lesnar and white even said it was, be more pissed your fans fell for it.
"Your fans"? Is this some WWE vs. UFC battle or what? I don't really care that the fans fell for it, I just don't like to see that kind of thing in MMA, not because Brock is a annoying SOB, but because he is faking that shit. He's not real. It's mostly an fake act.

I agree. Brock got booed, maybe he didn't deserve it in the beginning, but he's just bitter now. It's easier flipping off the crowd than earning their respect.

Solaros

What will it take for Brock to earn the respect of the fans?

Everyone who dislikes him seems to keep on saying, 'just wait till next time, Randy will lay him out.' Then it is Frank, and now it is Carwin.

Just like the article said, he only talks shit to people who talk shit to him and doubt him for no other reason than being in the WWE.

Can't hate the guy for that.

Solaros said:

Everyone who dislikes him seems to keep on saying, 'just wait till next time, Randy will lay him out.' Then it is Frank, and now it is Carwin.

Just like the article said, he only talks shit to people who talk shit to him.

He didn't only talk shit about Mir after the fight was over though.

Solaros

Hellraizer said:
He didn't only talk shit about Mir after the fight was over though.
Those two have a hateful history.

I'm not saying it is right the way he acts, but with so many people still hating on him for reasons he has, in my eyes, proven wrong, what can you expect?

It doesn't excuse it, it only explains it.

SLYspyda

Banned
I just love Brock Lesnar shutting all the people making stupid comments about the WWE.

Just because the WWE is scripted doesn't mean the men who are in that company can't really fight.

I just don't understand it. It's scripted, so what? That means you should disrespect it and all the men in there are pussies?

Keep shutting up all the skeptics, Brock. You were a beast in the WWE, and you are a beast in the UFC. Show all these bastards that you have to possess athletic skill to become the best in the WWE.

bloodydrake said:

Randy Couture won a UFC belt in his 4th MMA match ever.

Anderson Silva won the middleweight belt in his very first UFC PPV. (He was only on one Fight Night previously.) Of course he had a lot of experience coming in, though.

It's not unique for Brock to have gotten the belt so fast. And your argument doesn't make sense because Brock didn't start to get booed when he got his title shot. He was being booed all the time just during the first Mir fight and against Herring. His rise afterward had nothing to do with him being hated from the very start.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Solaros said:
When he stops acting like a spoiled schoolyard bully and treats the sport with the kind of respect he himself thinks he deserves.

I respect his abilities but have no respect for him and he doesn't deserve anything more then that at this point.

Honestly tho as the paydays increase for these athletes you will see more and more Big guys from the NFL and Wrestling that will make the transition over to MMA.

Up till now the Payout just didn't make it appealing for guys that could get million dollar contracts in other sports to consider MMA an alternative.

When they get enough of those huge athletes in MMA I bet they will add a super heavy weight devision and lower the range for HW to 205 to 235ish and have 235ish to 285ish. But thats a few years away..i do see it happening eventually tho.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Randy Couture won a UFC belt in his 4th MMA match ever.

You can't compare what the ufc was when it started(tough guy competition)to what it has been working towards being the last 6 years or so( a legitimate ranked sport).

Anderson Silva won the middleweight belt in his very first UFC PPV. (He was only on one Fight Night previously.) Of course he had a lot of experience coming in, though.
Anderson was considered extremely dangerous and had fought a ton before he beat Franklin in his 2nd UFC event. Again the depth of the division at the time wasnt' as deep.

It's not unique for Brock to have gotten the belt so fast. And your argument doesn't make sense because Brock didn't start to get booed when he got his title shot. He was being booed all the time just during the first Mir fight and against Herring. His rise afterward had nothing to do with him being hated from the very start.

Brock was given the fight with Randy after losing to Mir...think about that HE LOST his debut fight in UFC then fought Heath Hearing who isn't even ranked top 10 in Heavyweights and he was given a title shot immediately over others that had a perfect 8-0 record type situation. People saw how transparent it was/is.
People boo'd him due to his promo shit at the time of the firsts Mir fight saying he's a world champion of pro wrestling..and that somehow legitimizes his being a top tier MMA fighter..

agrajag

Banned
Solaros said:

Just like the article said, he only talks shit to people who talk shit to him and doubt him for no other reason than being in the WWE.

I respect him as a fighter after seeing all of his fights in UFC so far. I still think he wins 90% out of his physical prowess, with skill being the remaining 10%. But he's certainly not some joke like Bobb Sapp or something. I think it's fair to say Frank Mir took their last fight very seriously and tried to prepare for it as best as he could and still got owned.

However, Brock does not have my respect as a person, or a sportsman. He will never earn it if he continues to behave like a roid-raging prick.

bloodydrake said:
Brock was given the fight with Randy after losing to Mir...think about that HE LOST his debut fight in UFC then fought Heath Hearing who isn't even ranked top 10 in Heavyweights and he was given a title shot immediately over others that had a perfect 8-0 record type situation. People saw how transparent it was/is.
You're kind of ignoring the rest of the history here. What really happened is that Couture left, so Nog and Mir fought for the interim heavyweight championship. They were the real contenders for the championship. Dana just saw Lesnar vs Couture as the money match as Couture/Mir or Couture/Nog wasn't going to be a big deal. Then Lesnar and Mir fought to unify.

Your argument about divisions not being deep at times doesn't help either. The heavyweight division is pretty crap. Velasquez, Carwin, and Kongo are the only three other guys that could be in Lesnar's place right now. Crocop and Gonzaga have been shit lately. Lesnar was the obvious pick to fight Couture.

Brock wasn't just "given" the title. He beat three guys in a row to be where he is. You're exaggerating his rise to the title.

I think in the end, this is another religious argument over whether bookers should strictly follow the rankings or whether we should just see the fights people will pay to see.

Exactly, Brock beat both the interim an heavyweight champs to claim the belt

also I don't see how people were boing Brock and not Mir, Mir is the cockiest douche in mma

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
bloodydrake said:
Anderson was considered extremely dangerous and had fought a ton before he beat Franklin in his 2nd UFC event. Again the depth of the division at the time wasnt' as deep.

Brock was given the fight with Randy after losing to Mir...think about that HE LOST his debut fight in UFC then fought Heath Hearing who isn't even ranked top 10 in Heavyweights and he was given a title shot immediately over others that had a perfect 8-0 record type situation.

The depth of the HW division in the UFC now is not very deep either.

I don't see how you can say Herring wasn't a top 10 fighter. At the time he fought Lesnar, he was coming off of a win against Cheick Kongo, who was in contention for a title shot.

mujun said:
So are people pumped for Dream 10 on Monday? I certainly am.
I thought Cro Cop was going to be fighting on Monday and I just found out that he's back in the UFC now... Holy shit. Dana fucking hates him now though.

Zeliard

Say what you want about Brock deserving or not deserving the title shot at the time - he's clearly proven that he is a solid UFC champion, and will probably hold on to that belt for a while. That in itself essentially made him deserving of the title shot, along with the heavyweight division being as shallow as it is.

Had Brock lost to Herring or Couture, or had that loss to Mir been one-sided, then you could easily say that it was way too early for him to be going up against a title holder. But he destroyed Herring and then Couture, and then destroyed Mir in the rematch. Brock's proven he belongs. Plus, if you look at every big UFC heavyweight contender, they'd all be hard-pressed to beat Brock at this point. Every one of them. That's why everybody wants Fedor in the UFC now more than ever (well, that and Brock's attitude rubbing people the wrong way, and them wanting Fedor to shut him up).

mujun

polyh3dron said:
I thought Cro Cop was going to be fighting on Monday and I just found out that he's back in the UFC now... Holy shit. Dana fucking hates him now though.

There's still Sakurai, Aoki and Filho to watch :)

Zeliard

Ninja Scooter said:
a bit of a blast from the past:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viXeyT9gT4

look how far things have come.
:lol Tank Abbot saying he's the greatest athlete in the UFC

and WTF at one dude fighting with no gloves and a t-shirt on. I remember watching these as a kid but for some reason i didn't remember them being allowed to be gloveless. Brutal.

I think the main reason gloves were introduced wasn't actually to protect the person getting punched, as one might assume - it was to protect the person doing the punching. You can easily break your hand if you don't punch correctly. Some fighters wore gloves back when they weren't mandatory for that specific reason.

Zeliard said:
I think the main reason gloves were introduced wasn't actually to protect the person getting punched, as one might assume - it was to protect the person doing the punching. You can easily break your hand if you don't punch correctly. Some fighters wore gloves back when they weren't mandatory for that specific reason.

true, but if you land the right punch w/o gloves you could really, really fuck someone up.

Zeliard

Ninja Scooter said:
true, but if you land the right punch w/o gloves you could really, really fuck someone up.

Yeah, due to the knuckles being exposed. Having fighters with gloves on also makes for a much easier time getting it into the mainstream. Just the visual alone of seeing two bare-knuckle brawlers is enough to turn a lot of people off, before punches even start being thrown.

No. just No.

GSP is great but Fedor has destroyed everyone put in front of him. 30-1 and the 1 is due to needing someone to advance in a tournament.

Asbel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom