• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Jack Random said:
Actually, you couldnt be more incorrect. This IS a sport. These are not gladiators, they are athletes, fighters, and no one has ever been killed in MMA.

These are fighters who are doing something they love and in most cases, hoping that it will help them put food on the table for their families. Every one of them knows that the guy staring them down in the ring is just doing the same thing.

it's called respect.

There is respect which is fine and great. Love it when GSP conducts his post fight interviews. With GSP though he doesn't talk much smack before the fight. BJ Penn talks a bunch of fucking shit but when the fight is over it is like he is a completely changed person. This ends up looking phony and retarded.

snack

Boogie said:
Not really sure about that, per se. Fitch and Kos both had the potential to be tough tests for GSP. It's hard to really say what the WW rankings are after GSP. What is clear is that NONE of them can hold a candle to him.

I agree. Fitch and Koscheck were pretty tough tests for GSP.

Boogie

h4k said:
I agree. Fitch and Koscheck were pretty tough tests for GSP.

I think that if Kos trains properly and doesn't fight like a retard, that a rematch between GSP and Kos would probably be GSP's toughest test at this point.

mujun

Boogie said:
Ignorant:
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

For me to continue to pretend to take you seriously, please tell me how I am "ignorant" in regards to MMA.

Take me seriously or don't, why would I care.

My original argument was unbeatable. Then p4p. You introduced King of MMA title which I then said was subjective. I don't know why you didn't just continue or stop arguing about the points I was arguing which were only:

1. p4p
2. unbeatable.

The whole King of MMA thing you introduced seemed to be to confuse the situation because you were still trying to score points with your argument. Seems silly to me because we could have just agreed to disagree.

Then you argued that only a heavyweight can be the "King of MMA", I shouldn't have gotten sucked into the argument because despite the fact I still think it's a subjective title I don't think the idea of the "King of MMA" has any merit. Like I said, seems like hyperbole only suited to be used in MMA news headlines.

I think that it is ignorant to think that if people were to judge who the "King of MMA" is (that is the best MMA fighter in the world) that they would have to think about whether a lightweight candidate for example could beat a heavyweight candidate when making their decision.

Boogie

Okay, I give up with you.

You clearly haven't understood a gawdamned thing I've written over the past three or four pages.

Statements such as these:

I think that it is ignorant to think that if people were to judge who the "King of MMA" is (that is the best MMA fighter in the world) that they would have to think about whether a lightweight candidate for example could beat a heavyweight candidate when making their decision.

Are given as assertions without saying why such statements mean someone demonstrates a lack of knowledge, or being uninformed about MMA.

Because in spite of however much a great deal of people in this thread probably think that I am an asshole, I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that thinks I am "ignorant" when it comes to MMA.

Or rather, quite simply, I do not see how saying that "Fedor Emelianenko is the best MMA fighter in the world" can be called "ignorant".

mujun said:
I don't know that it will make much difference. Heavyweights tend to get KOed more easily, tire more easily and move slower so they are never going to offer as much chance of an intense 3 round back and forth battle as light weights for example.

I still love watching heavys though, there is much more spectacle and it's nice to see a good KO. They also hit really hard which is a beautiful thing.
Fedor vs Noguiera at Pride 25 sez hai

Boogie

polyh3dron said:

Or, to a lesser extent, Fedor/Mirko.

But then, mujun seems to be taking the criteria that people use in P4P debates and deciding to apply them to this (admittedly completely arbitrary) debate about "King of MMA", even though those of us who are crowning Fedor "King" see the P4P criteria as utterly irrelevant to how we declare Fedor to be King.

Zeliard

P4P was created so that someone in a lower weight class could be seen as the greatest in the sport despite not being the biggest or strongest. This generally makes it very difficult for a heavyweight to be the p4p king, since p4p isn't necessarily meant for them.

This doesn't really apply to Fedor. Not only is he ridiculously dominant, having destroyed nearly every top heavyweight contender, but he is also a very small heavyweight. As was pointed out earlier, many light heavyweights walk around at the same weight as Fedor, who's around 230.

It isn't size or strength that makes Fedor special, as it does most other heavyweights (most notably Brock Lesnar). The guy is just much more intelligent and well-rounded than whoever he is fighting. Fedor should be the p4p king because he has several strengths and virtually no weaknesses (he bleeds like a stuck pig, that's pretty much it). Nearly every fighter has one glaring weakness in their game, but Fedor does pretty much everything at a high level, and he makes it look easy in the process.

mujun

Boogie said:
Okay, I give up with you.

You clearly haven't understood a gawdamned thing I've written over the past three or four pages.

Statements such as these:

Are given as assertions without saying why such statements mean someone demonstrates a lack of knowledge, or being uninformed about MMA.

Because in spite of however much a great deal of people in this thread probably think that I am an asshole, I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that thinks I am "ignorant" when it comes to MMA.

Or rather, quite simply, I do not see how saying that "Fedor Emelianenko is the best MMA fighter in the world" can be called "ignorant".

I never said I thought you were ignorant about MMA, I said that I thought the statement
was.

polyh3dron said:

they are never going to offer as much chance of an intense 3 round back and forth battle as light weights for example.

mujun

Zeliard said:
P4P was created so that someone in a lower weight class could be seen as the greatest in the sport despite not being the biggest or strongest. This generally makes it very difficult for a heavyweight to be the p4p king, since p4p isn't necessarily meant for them.

This doesn't really apply to Fedor. Not only is he ridiculously dominant, having destroyed nearly every top heavyweight contender, but he is also a very small heavyweight. As was pointed out earlier, many light heavyweights walk around at the same weight as Fedor, who's around 230.

It isn't size or strength that makes Fedor special, as it does most other heavyweights (most notably Brock Lesnar). The guy is just much more intelligent and well-rounded than whoever he is fighting. Fedor should be the p4p king because he has several strengths and virtually no weaknesses (he bleeds like a stuck pig, that's pretty much it). Nearly every fighter has one glaring weakness in their game, but Fedor does pretty much everything at a high level, and he makes it look easy in the process.

I don't think, unless I had a gun held to my head that I could choose amongst Torres, GSP, Silva and Fedor.

Also Fedor was losing the stand up vs Arlovski in the first round. If someone who can strike like Arlovski, has good take down defence and a better chin goes up against Fedor, Fedor will be tested.

Big-E

Zeliard said:

The only weakness I can see in Fedor's game is his technical striking. I thought Arlovski was going to have a shot against him due to Arlovski's competent mma boxing skills and he was doing quite well I thought in the standup until Fedor's strong punching power destroyed Arlovski's weak chin. Even though this is a weakness, it really isn't because Fedor still has great striking and other than Arlovski, there are really not that many technical strikers in the weightclass. The only person I can see maybe posing a problem for Fedor and has I think a legit chance of beating him is Roid Overeem.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GekigangerV said:
anything and everything can happen in this sport

Absolutely. But as the size and strength gap widens so do the odds.

fedoraokiippon.gif

fedoraokiairplane.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mumei said:
Are we able to link to the full match, or is that not kosher?

It's on youtube, so they don't appear to be keeping it off with copyright claims. Fair game.

Zeliard

mujun said:
I don't think, unless I had a gun held to my head that I could choose amongst Torres, GSP, Silva and Fedor.

Also Fedor was losing the stand up vs Arlovski in the first round. If someone who can strike like Arlovski, has good take down defence and a better chin goes up against Fedor, Fedor will be tested.

Big-E said:
The only weakness I can see in Fedor's game is his technical striking. I thought Arlovski was going to have a shot against him due to Arlovski's competent mma boxing skills and he was doing quite well I thought in the standup until Fedor's strong punching power destroyed Arlovski's weak chin. Even though this is a weakness, it really isn't because Fedor still has great striking and other than Arlovski, there are really not that many technical strikers in the weightclass. The only person I can see maybe posing a problem for Fedor and has I think a legit chance of beating him is Roid Overeem.

Arlovski was testing Fedor, that's true, but we all saw what happened. I don't consider Fedor's lack of technique and fluidity in his striking a big weakness because two of the most important aspects of striking, he possesses: punching power and, especially, timing. Fedor's timing on his strikes is excellent, and when you combine that with his heavy hands, it makes his overall striking pretty deadly.

Overeem's been looking good lately. That KO of Badr was something. It'd be fun to see him face Fedor.

Big-E

Zeliard said:
Arlovski was testing Fedor, that's true, but we all saw what happened. I don't consider Fedor's lack of technique and fluidity in his striking a big weakness because two of the most important aspects of striking, he possesses: punching power and, especially, timing. Fedor's timing on his strikes is excellent, and when you combine that with his heavy hands, it makes his overall striking pretty deadly.

Overeem's been looking good lately. That KO of Badr was something. It'd be fun to see him face Fedor.

I don't see it as a weakness either but you can win rounds against Fedor if you have good technical striking and also able to snuff his ground game but no one can do this so it is irrelevant except for maybe Roid Overeem.

Boogie

Zeliard said:

Indeed. But even apart from that, Fedor's mystique doesn't come from winning every second of every fight.

As EviLore posted in another thread, part of Fedor's aura is the sheer will and ability to win, no matter the circumstance, be it doing the fish dance from Fujita's punch, shrugging off Randleman's slam, or laughing at Mark Hunt's attempts at an Americana.

Fedor doesn't win every second of every fight. But he always wins.

Zeliard

Big-E said:
I don't see it as a weakness either but you can win rounds against Fedor if you have good technical striking and also able to snuff his ground game but no one can do this so it is irrelevant except for Roid Overeem.

Overeem might get the better of Fedor in the stand-up, but as soon as it goes to the ground, Fedor will unleash the GnP from hell. Fedor kills people when he's sitting in their guard. It doesn't even matter. Look at what he did to Nog on the ground, back when Nog had the best ground game of any heavyweight.

Boogie said:
Indeed. But even apart from that, Fedor's mystique doesn't come from winning every second of every fight.

As EviLore posted in another thread, part of Fedor's aura is the sheer will and ability to win, no matter the circumstance, be it doing the fish dance from Fujita's punch, shrugging off Randleman's slam, or laughing at Mark Hunt's attempts at an Americana.

Completely agreed. It feels like when Fedor fights, the universe will collapse on itself if he loses. That's how impossible he makes it seem, and also how he acts. His entire demeanor in the ring is "lose? me? no."

Big-E

Zeliard said:
Overeem might get the better of Fedor in the stand-up, but as soon as it goes to the ground, Fedor will unleash the GnP from hell. Fedor kills people when he's sitting in their guard. It doesn't even matter. Look at what he did to Nog on the ground, back when Nog had the best ground game of any heavyweight.

I know but Overeem has a potential to surprise as I was shocked that he beat Badr. Right now Overeem is the only person who I think can offer a test for Fedor.

Boogie

Big-E said:
Right now Overeem is the only person who I think can offer a test for Fedor outside of the UFC.

Fixed. ;)

But yeah, if Fedor doesn't decide to give the UFC a chance, and Overeem beats Werdum, this is the only appealing fight for Fedor outside of the UFC.

But even so, Overeem still hasn't shown that he's anything more than the 3 Minute Man. A beast for the first 3-5 minutes, but collapses after that.

Or, put another way, perhaps the challenge that Overeem presents to Fedor is rather similar to the one that Alves presented to GSP.

Zeliard

Big-E said:
I know but Overeem has a potential to surprise as I was shocked that he beat Badr. Right now Overeem is the only person who I think can offer a test for Fedor.

This probably won't be a popular opinion but frankly, at this point, I wouldn't count out Brock in any fight.

And that even includes Fedor. Brock's physical gifts are just too much.

Big-E

Zeliard said:
This probably won't be a popular opinion but frankly, at this point, I wouldn't count out Brock in any fight.

And that even includes Fedor. Brock's physical gifts are just too much.

I am impressed with Brock as he has shown great stride already but I still think he has a ways to go as he has not been tested in standup yet and walking into a Fedor right is not something you can really train for. I think he needs to have a somewhat respectable strike game before he has a shot against him.

vpance

Boogie said:
But even so, Overeem still hasn't shown that he's anything more than the 3 Minute Man. A beast for the first 3-5 minutes, but collapses after that.

He looked pretty good in his K1 match with Remy. Being on the roids and not having to cut weight anymore made the difference for him I think. Now he's able to bully people around with his weight..

Fedor looks to be in great shape in the latest pics. Barnett will not stand with him!

Zeliard

I just watched the Carwin vs. Gonzaga fight again on Spike.

Carwin was taking some heavy hits there from Gonzaga. He takes one of those from Brock and it's over. I dunno. Carwin does hit really hard, though, so I guess it's possible he might catch Brock. Brock's chin still hasn't been tested at all.

If Cain somehow gets by Carwin, it's going to be ugly vs Brock, given Cain's fight vs. Kongo.

Big-E

Zeliard said:

Carwin was taking some heavy hits there from Gonzaga. He takes one of those from Brock and it's over. I dunno. Carwin does hit really hard, though, so I guess it's possible he might catch Brock. Brock's chin still hasn't been tested at all.

If Cain somehow gets by Carwin, it's going to be ugly vs Brock, given Cain's fight vs. Kongo.

Cain needs to improve vastly in order to beat Carwin. He was fighting Kongo for a grand total of 25 seconds of that fight standing up and got tagged by like 5 or 6 good punches. Kongo has no ground game at all and was easy to expose on the ground, Carwin won't be so easy.

Boogie

vpance said:
Fedor looks to be in great shape in the latest pics. Barnett will not stand with him!

Fuckin' A. Rationally, I cannot see a scenario in which Josh Barnett is able to defeat Fedor Emelianenko. Horrible matchup style-wise for Barnett, but I can't wait.

Godslay

Banned
Boogie said:

I personally think a large part of Fedor's mystique also comes from the way he handles himself. Look at Pride 25, Fedor and Nog battled it out, but in the end Fedor helped him up off the mat and both overall were just classy. He is calm, respectful, and has always honored his opponents and the sport. Hell the guy rarely looks his opponents in the eye at the beginning of a fight and from what I have seen never talks trash. His actions speak louder than words.

Boogie

Zeliard said:

Damn, that fight was on tonight on Spike? I missed that event, so I still haven't seen that fight.

I have to believe that Carwin has a big advantage going into the Velasquez fight. Carwin/Brock should be interesting, and more dangerous for Brock than Mir was.

Boogie

Godslay said:
I personally think a large part of Fedor's mystique also comes from the way he handles himself. Look at Pride 25, Fedor and Nog battled it out, but in the end Fedor helped him up off the mat and both overall were just classy. He is calm, respectful, and has always honored his opponents and the sport. Hell the guy rarely looks his opponents in the eye at the beginning of a fight and from what I have seen never talks trash. His actions speak louder than words.

Oh, absolutely. His attitude, similar to GSP's, is a big part of why I'm such a fan.

Ninja Scooter said:
if punching in the balls were legal i think i could beat Fedor.

Actually, you could do that, eye gouge, and bring a chainsaw into the ring and he still would kick your ass in about 2 or 3 seconds.

Zeliard

Godslay said:

That's why it'd be so easy to market Fedor vs Brock. They don't even have to do anything. It's a classic case of good guy vs bad guy, unstoppable force vs immovable object. The marketing basically creates itself, naturally.

There's a big fervor now to get Fedor to the UFC because a lot of people want to see him shut Brock up.

Godslay

Banned
Zeliard said:
That's why it'd be so easy to market Fedor vs Brock. They don't even have to do anything. It's a classic case of good guy vs bad guy, unstoppable force vs immovable object. The marketing basically creates itself, naturally.

There's a big fervor now to get Fedor to the UFC because a lot of people want to see him shut Brock up.

Very true, but the question I ask myself is, if Lesnar wins would he be as respectful to Fedor as Fedor would be to him? I just hope that Lesnar's actions were the result of the bad blood between him and Mir, and not an emerging trend. I'm not going to pretend to know what the sport needs but Lesnar completely turned me off to him by his outburst. Although even bad guys can have a lasting legacy, see Bill Laimbeer for example.

EviLore said:
Absolutely. But as the size and strength gap widens so do the odds.

fedoraokiippon.gif

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Wow. Looks like he secured an arm lock while the guy was in mid flight. Guy couldnt even land before feeling the heat...impressive

WrikaWrek

Banned
If Brock continues improving his ground game...he could beat Fedor. Brock is like the Hulk, and if the a guy like that has the technical know how, then you are left with very little chance, because he's so naturally gifted.

I don't remember seeing him bruised.:lol

Boogie

WrikaWrek said:
If Brock continues improving his ground game...he could beat Fedor. Brock is like the Hulk, and if the a guy like that has the technical know how, then you are left with very little chance, because he's so naturally gifted.

At this point, I don't think it's the ground game Brock needs to be worried about. Fedor would destroy him standing given his current skill level. Fedor wouldn't concede the bottom position like Mir did.

Well, since Brock has only had 5 fights, that's not surprising.

abstract alien said:
Wow. Looks like he secured an arm lock while the guy was in mid flight. Guy couldnt even land before feeling the heat...impressive

Well, that's the ideal behind any good throw, but Fedor can definitely execute that ideal better than just about anyone else.

Boogie

Mumei said:
qo62kk.gif

Aleksander and Fedor training. So awesome.

The fact that Fedor is sparring, on concrete, without any protective gear other than the boxing gloves, is utterly hardcore. I absolutely love his old-school training environment.

WrikaWrek said:
Not sure if he has been bruised, but Randy cut him above the eye with an elbow(I think it was an elbow)

Boogie said:
Well, that's the ideal behind any good throw, but Fedor can definitely execute that ideal better than just about anyone else.
Yeah, Ive just never really seen it quite so flush in an actual fight. Im training myself, but Ive never been able to pull it off quite like that. He made it look like a scripted training video :lol

charsace

Big-E said:
But will the guy be Overeem or Overoid in the match?

agrajag

Banned
There's a difference between hamming it up for the cameras and being a fucking pissy dick. Cock Chestnar is a big pissy dick.

mujun

Seems a lot of people in this thread aren't going to agree with the Sherdog people.

1. Anderson Silva (24-4)
With another brilliant performance from Georges St. Pierre, and another top heavyweight on the slate for Fedor Emelianenko, the pressure is on Silva to prove he is, in fact, the sport’s pound-for-pound king. At UFC 101 on Aug. 8, his 205-pound bout with Forrest Griffin will afford him a unique opportunity: a win over the former UFC light heavyweight champion would make Silva the first man in the sport’s history with top five-caliber victories across three weight classes. He started his career as a standout welterweight before becoming the most dominant middleweight in mixed martial arts history.

2. Georges St. Pierre (19-2)
On paper, Thiago Alves was supposed to be St. Pierre’s most dangerous challenger to date in the welterweight division. However, “Rush” dealt with Alves just as he has dealt with other elite welterweights, as he dominated him from bell-to-bell in an impressively one-sided unanimous decision win over yet another top opponent. St. Pierre’s performance was such that many have started to question whether or not a move to middleweight should be in the cards. However, the next challenger for the sport’s welterweight ruler will come from either Mike Swick or Martin Kampmann, who will square off in a title eliminator at UFC 103 in September.

3. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)
Emelianenko’s long-awaited bout with Josh Barnett will headline Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1. Though many have criticized the relative dearth of top heavyweight talent and Emelianenko’s opponent selection as knocks against his pound-for-pound status, his fight with Barnett will mark the Russian’s third consecutive match against a top 10 former UFC heavyweight champion. However, in unfortunate news for MMA’s heavyweight king, the fan-proposed guerilla tactic of chanting Emelianenko’s name at UFC 100 never got off the ground.

4. Lyoto Machida (15-0)
With his brilliant display of dominance in capturing the UFC light heavyweight title and the 205-pound mantle in May, Machida had already built instant anticipation for a showdown with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. However, Jackson instead opted for a second coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” which will set up a bout with Rashad Evans. Yet, in a testament to the depth of the UFC and the 205-pound division itself, consensus “Fighter of the Year” Mauricio “Shogun” Rua emerged as Plan B for Machida’s first UFC title defense at UFC 104 in October.

5. Miguel Torres (37-1)
There’s little rest for a king, and bantamweight ruler Torres is proof positive. After emerging victorious in his thrilling 25-minute war with Takeya Mizugaki in April, Torres will take on undefeated challenger Brian Bowles at WEC 43 on Aug. 9. That show will also feature a de facto title eliminator between hot up-and-comers Joseph Benavidez and Dominick Cruz, the winner of which figures to meet Torres before the year ends -- just like clockwork.

6. Mike Thomas Brown (22-4)
Of any pound-for-pound entrant on this list, Brown may be the least vibrant and least tailor-made for stardom. However, the 33-year-old American Top Teamer remains, without question, the king of the 145-pound world, and reaffirmed it in June when he earned a second win over Urijah Faber. Despite gritting out a 25-minute unanimous verdict over “The California Kid,” Brown’s biggest test may be yet to come. His next title challenger come November will be brutal Brazilian dynamo Jose Aldo, possibly the most dangerous fighter the division can offer.

7. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
Many fans and critics still see Jackson through the prism of July 2008 vehicular insanity. However, for whatever poor judgment he has exercised outside the cage, inside it, Jackson is 4-1 against five straight top 10 opponents in one of MMA’s deepest divisions. Now, the colorful and charismatic 205-pound standout will captain his second squad of TUFers on Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which will lead up to a high-profile December showdown with fellow former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.

8. B.J. Penn (13-5-1)
Talent has never lacked with Penn, only his desire and focus. His desire to move back up to 170 pounds to challenge Georges St. Pierre in January was not only unsuccessful, but it also put the UFC’s lightweight class on an extended hiatus. However, the division is poised to get back on track come Aug. 8, when, at UFC 101, Penn will take on a top five challenger, Kenny Florian, in the second defense of his lightweight mantle.

9. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
The first defense of Evans’ UFC light heavyweight belt in May was disastrous, as he was dominated from pillar to post by Lyoto Machida. Fortunately for the Greg Jackson pupil, he remains in a star-laden and talent-rich division. Better still, Evans’ comeback fight will come in a high-profile showdown against a fellow pound-for-pound entrant, as he will take on fellow “The Ultimate Fighter 10” coach Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in December.

10. Jon Fitch (19-3, 1 NC)
Though seldom flashy, Fitch wins. By gritting out a unanimous verdict over tougher-than-expected and previously unbeaten Brazilian Paulo Thiago at UFC 100, Fitch upped his record in the UFC to an impressive 10-1. More importantly, those 11 fights have come in arguably MMA’s deepest and most talented division. He may not ever make Sportscenter’s top 10, but he will likely remain in the welterweight top 10 and beating elite opponents for a good while.

* With Fitch’s win over Paulo Thiago and Thiago Alves’ loss to Georges St. Pierre, the formerly ninth-ranked Alves falls just outside of the top 10.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Am I the only person seeing the Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger" photo that was posted?

Brock isn't anything different, and Dana and the UFC don't give a shit. Maybe he'll not trash a sponsor in the future, but characters are characters, and it's better to have some people be a giant dick than to have everyone be a generic fight machine.

its funny its like we are seeing the reactions that wrestling fans from the 70s would have if they had message boards back then, its all a work people, god you fucking marks....

CHA CHING CHA CHING! :lol

agrajag said:
Uh, except that this isn't pro wrestling and Brock is clearly genuinely pissed off.

Nothing wrong with taking some of the anger and letting it show, sportmanship doesn't create word of mouth like shit talking will. We need to bring in some more pro wrestlers :D

and its gotten me back into watching ufc regularly since they watered it down, years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom