• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujun

Boogie said:
Ya, but GSP isn't a heavyweight.

Name a heavyweight with a better resume of opponents, who's never lost.

So he get's it easier because their are less worthy people in his weight class. Cool, some crappy LHW should put on 100 kgs, fight in a league with super heavy weight and be king of the universe.

When thinking about pound for pound best in the world you need to consider recent performance vs overall performance, finished fights vs decisions, calibre of opponents, etc.

Seems like you need to consider a few more elements before you make your call.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
agrajag said:
This is a sport. Why should they take things personal?

I never said they should.

But they shouldn't be trying to sell their fight with fake animosity either because I don't give a shit and it's insulting to my intelligence.

Don't say a bunch of stupid prickish things in the first place and you won't have to take them back. If you're going to say shit mean and stick with it like Brock did.

Boogie

mujun said:
So he get's it easier because their are less worthy people in his weight class. Cool, some crappy LHW should put on 100 kgs, fight in a league with super heavy weight and be king of the universe.

When thinking about pound for pound best in the world you need to consider recent performance vs overall performance, finished fights vs decisions, calibre of opponents, etc.

Seems like you need to consider a few more elements before you make your call.

Funnily enough, we weren't talking about Pound for Pound. In fact, in the exchange that started this argument you conceded him as "Pound for pound one of the best if not the best in the world, sure, unbeatable, no".

There is no point in criticizing Fedor's record as a heavyweight if no other heavyweight on Earth has a record that can compare to his.

You can't criticize the quality of his opposition, if no other heavyweight has a better list of defeated opponents. Anybody whose own list might compare (say, perhaps, Nog, Crocop, Barnett, Sylvia) has already lost to Fedor, or will shortly (Barnett).

This seems pretty intuitive to me.

If we're talking pound for pound, then sure, by all means, compare records across weight classes. But that wasn't brought up in our exchange originally.

I made a specific request, which, I assume, you are unable to do, from your sidestepping of it.

Nocebo

I don't see how anyone could deny Fedor's skills after having seen a couple of his matches. I'm rewatching a bunch of his old fights to refresh my memory. I concluded he's certainly a true mixed martial artist and a very impressive one at that.

Aside from that I also like his attitude in the ring. He seems very respectful. But there's something about the look in his eyes before the fight starts that seems so strange. He seems so calm and stuff it's weird... and interesting. He never looks angry or anything.

mujun

Boogie said:
Funnily enough, we weren't talking about Pound for Pound. In fact, in the exchange that started this argument you conceded him as "Pound for pound one of the best if not the best in the world, sure, unbeatable, no".

There is no point in criticizing Fedor's record as a heavyweight if no other heavyweight on Earth has a record that can compare to his.

You can't criticize the quality of his opposition, if no other heavyweight has a better list of defeated opponents. Anybody whose own list might compare (say, perhaps, Nog, Crocop, Barnett, Sylvia) has already lost to Fedor, or will shortly (Barnett).

This seems pretty intuitive to me.

If we're talking pound for pound, then sure, by all means, compare records across weight classes. But that wasn't brought up in our exchange originally.

I made a specific request, which, I assume, you are unable to do, from your sidestepping of it.

This is how it started:

Fedor is not a "darling." Fedor is the King of MMA.

To which I replied:

Point is, he isn't invincible. Pound for pound one of the best if not the best in the world, sure. Unbeatable, no.

And then you continued to argue he was unbeatable. That is the point I'm arguing. I never brought up heavyweight, you did. I just checked my posts and make no mention of it being purely a heavyweight discussion.

agrajag

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
I never said they should.

But they shouldn't be trying to sell their fight with fake animosity either because I don't give a shit and it's insulting to my intelligence.

Don't say a bunch of stupid prickish things in the first place and you won't have to take them back. If you're going to say shit mean and stick with it like Brock did.

Uh, ok. Let's take the Brock/Mir fight for example. What has Mir said before/after the fight that he had to take back?

agrajag said:
Uh, ok. Let's take the Brock/Mir fight for example. What has Mir said before/after the fight that he had to take back?

did you miss the whole countdown show where he made is training partner pretend to be brock and knock him out with one punch :lol

or when he mocked brock punches comparing them to his sister pulling his hair?

or when he mocked Brocks training and skills?

DKehoe

Kabuki Waq said:
did you miss the whole countdown show where he made is training partner pretend to be brock and knock him out with one punch :lol

Is that on youtube? I have heard about it but not been able to see it anywhere. I was explaining to my friend yesterday why Brock didn't touch gloves at the start and was trying to find a video of that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
_sgray said:
When is Fedor's next fight? Guy is a total beast. :D

fedorgangster.jpg

affliction3.jpg

agrajag

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

Yeah, I watched the countdown. None of that stuff is really a big deal. And he actually talked about their first fight realistically, giving a good analysis of what was going on in the cage. Let me repost this one more time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7pEk0fJOk

He was a lot more respectful before the fight than Brock.

Boogie

mujun said:
This is how it started:

Kay.

But he is the King of MMA.

And then you continued to argue he was unbeatable. That is the point I'm arguing. I never brought up heavyweight, you did. I just checked my posts and make no mention of it being purely a heavyweight discussion.

Right. Because, right now, empirical evidence is that he is unbeatable. He has never been beaten. He has beaten everyone that has been put in front of him. And that resume is the best resume that exists at heavyweight. Hence, King of MMA.

Boogie said:
Kay.

But he is the King of MMA.

Right. Because, right now, empirical evidence is that he is unbeatable. He has never been beaten. He has beaten everyone that has been put in front of him. And that resume is the best resume that exists at heavyweight. Hence, King of MMA.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this...

Rur0ni

MrOctober said:
Are people arguing that Fedor isn't the king just for the sake of arguing?
Maybe so.

Fedor hasn't been beaten, and he has 30+ fights under his belt. Plenty of guys get into the teens... but eventually by this point they'll be exposed since they'll fight top class competition.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MrOctober said:
Are people arguing that Fedor isn't the king just for the sake of arguing?

I think it's just a case of newer MMA fans who are unfamiliar with Fedor not willing to admit their lack of knowledge. Anyone who had followed his career wouldn't even attempt to debate it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Fedor rocks from what ive seen.
Ive watched a crazy video were someone gives him a huuuuuge blow to the head, Fedor gets almost KO.... and he recovers and win the fight :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
http://www.m-1global.com/lang/en/20...-rutten-i-dont-think-youll-see-me-in-the-ufc/

Interesting new Bas interview with Fedor. Doesn't care at all about building his legacy and just wants to be remembered as a good person. Considers MMA to be 100% a mental game. Says Mirko, Nog, and Arlovski were his toughest or most interesting fights. Says he doesn't watch many MMA matches, and has mainly just been watching Barnett's fights recently. Says that Brock would be an interesting opponent for him but that he doesn't think the UFC is in his future, with the terms they insist on and the manner in which they approach him.

When he says that being friends with Barnett isn't going to interfere with the fight, holy shit do I believe him!

MrOctober

Banned
Sinatar said:
I think it's just a case of newer MMA fans who are unfamiliar with Fedor not willing to admit their lack of knowledge. Anyone who had followed his career wouldn't even attempt to debate it.

That pretty much has to be the case. I can't imagine how you could question it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sinatar said:

Well, there's saying he's the best MMA fighter, which he is, and then there's saying that he's unbeatable, which is ridiculous.

mujun

Sinatar said:

I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I've been watching MMA since I first came to Japan in 97. I've watched every UFC, Pride, Sengoku, Dream and most of the other major stuff like Strikeforce, Cage Rage, etc.

I've seen every one of his fights and while I agree he is a probably the pound for pound the best in the world I wouldn't call him the king of MMA. That is subjective, don't try and pass it off as anything otherwise.

Boogie

mujun said:
I've seen every one of his fights and while I agree he is a probably the pound for pound the best in the world I wouldn't call him the king of MMA. That is subjective, don't try and pass it off as anything otherwise.

That doesn't make a gawdamned lick of sense. Fedor being pound for pound the best in the world is arguable and subjective, based upon the nature of "pound for pound" lists, and how you "weight" different factors such as apparent skill level, well-roundedness, the strength of competition in a fighter's respective division, etc.

Him being the King of MMA is not subjective. In fact, it is the least subjective statement that can be made in MMA. Fedor is the undisputed, unbeaten, Heavyweight champion of the world in MMA. What else could the title "King of MMA" refer to, other than that?

mujun

MrOctober said:
I can't imagine how you could question it.

One of those huh. Remind me to never argue anything with you on a forum, you sound like you will enter every argument firmly believing your opinion is the Fedor of opinions, totally unbeatable.

EviLore said:
http://www.m-1global.com/lang/en/20...-rutten-i-dont-think-youll-see-me-in-the-ufc/

Interesting new Bas interview with Fedor. Doesn't care at all about building his legacy and just wants to be remembered as a good person. Considers MMA to be 100% a mental game. Says Mirko, Nog, and Arlovski were his toughest or most interesting fights. Says he doesn't watch many MMA matches, and has mainly just been watching Barnett's fights recently. Says that Brock would be an interesting opponent for him but that he doesn't think the UFC is in his future, with the terms they insist on and the manner in which they approach him.

When he says that being friends with Barnett isn't going to interfere with the fight, holy shit do I believe him!
Hmmmm. To be completely honest, Im not familiar with him in any way outside of his ring destruction. Im interested to know more of what he means exactly. Is he a really grounded guy? It seems so from this snippet.

Big-E

Boogie said:
That doesn't make a gawdamned lick of sense. Fedor being pound for pound the best in the world is arguable and subjective, based upon the nature of "pound for pound" lists.

Him being the King of MMA is not subjective. In fact, it is the least subjective statement that can be made in MMA. Fedor is the undisputed, unbeaten, Heavyweight champion of the world in MMA. What else could the title "King of MMA" refer to, other than that?

Truth. Arguing against this shows ignorance.

mujun

Boogie said:

Sorry I didn't realize that "the King of MMA" could only be held by a heavyweight. My bad, you win.

Boogie

mujun said:
Sorry I didn't realize that "the King of MMA" could only be held by a heavyweight. My bad, you win.

Well, duh. It pretty much means that he is, objectively, the best fighter in the world. The "King", you might say. That's why weight classes exist. Because for however awesome GSP is, he would not win against Fedor. Because if he could beat Fedor, he wouldn't be fighting at 170lbs.

I don't know how you're not getting this.

Big-E

mujun said:

King means the absolute top. No one other than Fedor can be at the absolute top because they can't beat Fedor. As Boogie said, Pound for Pound is different and can be argued but this can't be. Arguing against Fedor being king of MMA is like arguing Michael Jackson isn't the King of Pop.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
abstract alien said:
Hmmmm. To be completely honest, Im not familiar with him in any way outside of his ring destruction. Im interested to know more of what he means exactly. Is he a really grounded guy? It seems so from this snippet.
For one thing Fedor sees competing in Sambo as a source of national pride, UFC doesn't want let their fighters compete in anything other than the UFC. Not to mention they could drop him at anytime, for whatever reason, but if he were to be the champ he's basically stuck in his contract which would auto-renew.

GSP blog about UFC100, http://stpierre.yardbarker.com/blog/StPierre/UFC_100_Notable_Moments/808571, got so drunk he forgot his name :lol

mujun

abstract alien said:

He thought the way the UFC approached him was a little "disrespectful" iirc, something to do with Dana White's comments about how Russians do business (which was more about his management than Fedor himself). Add to that that they were demanding that he sign something like a 3 or 4 fight timed contract which wouldn't let him compete in the world sambo comps and basically the deal fell apart with both sides blaming the other.

On one hand I can see where Dana is coming from. He wants UFC fighters fighting only in his organization, it for one assures the quality of the matches to some degree as they can dictate the pace they fight at and the opponents they face.

On the other hand Fedor is one of the top fighters in the world and him fighting any UFC heavyweights would certainly draw big PPV numbers, he isn't in a position where he has to bow to anybody's demands and doesn't seem to give a shit about the prestige either at the end of the day.

mujun

Boogie said:
Well, duh. It pretty much means that he is, objectively, the best fighter in the world. The "King", you might say. That's why weight classes exist. Because for however awesome GSP is, he would not win against Fedor. Because if he could beat Fedor, he wouldn't be fighting at 170lbs.

I don't know how you're not getting this.

Okay, now you are in my books coming across as very ignorant. Each weight class should be considered separately from each other weight class.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that if somehow Hong Man Choi became the heavyweight champ with his record and skills and then someone like Torres down at bantamweight had a record of 80 wins to 1 loss (his real record by the way is better than Fedor's, he's at 37-1) that Choi would still be the "King of MMA"?

I don't even know where this King of MMA thing came from, I know you brought it up but it sounds arbitrary and like marketing hyperbole to me.

Rur0ni

mujun said:
I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I've been watching MMA since I first came to Japan in 97. I've watched every UFC, Pride, Sengoku, Dream and most of the other major stuff like Strikeforce, Cage Rage, etc.

So pound for pound doesn't mean king? :O

Boogie

mujun said:
Okay, now you are in my books coming across as very ignorant. Each weight class should be considered separately from each other weight class.

Ignorant? Explain to me how I am being ignorant.

Mike Brown is champion at 145lbs because he could not be champion at 155lbs. BJ Penn is champion at 155lbs because he can't be champion at 170, etc., etc. all the way down the line. (though I salivate at the possibility of GSP challenging Silva, or Silva challenging the best at 205, of course. And yes, I know that BJ was briefly WW champ)

Are you honestly trying to tell me that if somehow Hong Man Choi became the heavyweight champ with his record and skills and then someone like Torres down at bantamweight had a record of 80 wins to 1 loss (his real record by the way is better than Fedor's, he's at 37-1) that Choi would still be the "King of MMA"?

Apart from the impossibility of that scenario, yes. Because the Heavyweight champion is where the buck stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom