• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Brian Fellows said:
Only because people are too stupid to realize its the worst division in MMA.

Has the least depth, perhaps. But its the same in boxing, and all combat sports, really.

Doesn't change the fact that if Lightheavyweights thought they could beat the best heavyweights, then they would be fighting at heavyweight.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hell, most of the top 10 LHWs walk around at the same weight Fedor does. Anderson Silva almost does, for that matter.

Boogie

EviLore said:
Hell, most of the top 10 LHWs walk around at the same weight Fedor does. Anderson Silva almost does, for that matter.

Yep.

Hell, Tito weighs, at most, maybe 8lbs less than Fedor, yet even for how much of a hype-talking blowhard he is, he's enough of a coward that he'll only talk about fighting Fedor at a catchweight. :lol

Asbel

I'd like to see Brock fight Nog next. If Brock can keep from being subbed on top of Nog, he has a real chance against Fedor. A wrestler with subbed defense would be an interesting match. Barnett, we all know is going to get killed. It's more fun when Fedor beats someone who may actually have a chance of beating him.

edit: too bad the only way Brock fights Nog is if Nog beats Couture. :/

Big-E

Asbel said:
I'd like to see Brock fight Nog next. If Brock can keep from being subbed on top of Nog, he has a real chance against Fedor. A wrestler with subbed defense would be an interesting match. Barnett, we all know is going to get killed. It's more fun when Fedor beats someone who may actually have a chance of beating him.

edit: too bad the only way Brock fights Nog is if Nog beats Couture. :/

Beating a old and shitty big Nog proves nothing. Nog is a shadow of his formal self and is not even close to being a good measure for Brock to see how he would do with Fedor. Fedor has no equal.

MrOctober

Banned
mujun said:
One of those huh. Remind me to never argue anything with you on a forum, you sound like you will enter every argument firmly believing your opinion is the Fedor of opinions, totally unbeatable.

I didn't say that translates to anything else. Fedor has beat everyone put in front of him. Nobody else has done what he has so therefore he is the best. I'm not saying he can never ever be beaten, anyone can Matt Serra a GSP from time to time but until proven otherwise Fedor is the king. I'd love to hear how he's not though, instead of just attacking me personally.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/10-questions-for-lorenzo-fertitta-18516

Lorenzo Fertitta addresses the Fedor issue himself, without all the hyperbole of Dana White.

There’s an online petition called FedorChant.com, where a thousand people are going to cheer “Fedor” (Emelianenko) during the main event (at UFC 100). Is that going to put more pressure on you, and just the fact that Fedor doesn’t want to sign because of sambo, was that something that you’d ever overlook?

Fertitta: I hope all 12,000 people yell Fedor’s name at the same time. The pressure’s not on me. The pressure’s on him. They already know. The facts are the facts. We made him the best offer out there, more money than anybody offered him –- so you can’t say it’s about the money. Then they come back and they say, “Well, it’s a one-sided contract.” Let’s break this down from a logical standpoint. We offered the exact same contract that three hundred other guys have signed, including Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, GSP, all the top stars. Why is that contract not good enough for Fedor? What Fedor wants is this. He doesn’t want to be exclusive. So, it’s like saying, okay, Tom Brady: “I’m going to play for New England Patriots one Sunday, but you know what? After that game’s over, I want to be a free agent and go see where I can play for the rest of the season.” Every weekend he’s going to skip around and play for whoever he wants. How does that make sense for us as a business or for the fans? He needs to come into our fold if he wants to cement his legacy as the best fighter in the world. We can figure something out with the sambo thing… (but) at the end of the day, I think we need to have a situation where at least 90 or 120 days before he’s signed a contract to fight, he shouldn’t be out there competing in events like that because I don’t want to take the chance of him getting hurt. But all of this stuff with Fedor: we want Fedor. As soon as he gets done with this show that he’s doing, he can come –- we’ve never met Fedor. I want to sit down. I want to talk to him and that’s part of the problem. We’ve never even met the guy. But it is a shame that he has not come forward to challenge the best guys in the world and I hope he comes. We want him.

Is the sambo really a sticking point?

Fertitta: That’s a big excuse for Fedor to say he’s not coming to the UFC, and quite honestly, I don’t think it’s Fedor. I think Fedor wants to compete. The issue has been his management. They’ve completely kept him aside. I’m not sure he even knows what we offered him, to be honest with you. I think if he knew what we offered, he would have been here a long time ago. There’s been a little bit of disconnect there… we want to meet him in person. We will not sit down and negotiate until me and Dana meet him in person. And if at that time he decides to not be a part of what we’re doing, then we know.

mujun

Well I personally think the lower weights are the "Kings of MMA". The fact they have more energy/better cardio and their hands aren't as heavy means that the lower weight division fights are often much better battles. Recently the most epic fights have been in lower weight divisions, Torres vs Mizugaki, Alvarez vs Hansen, etc.

Sure it's awesome to see Fedor's power like when he knocked Sylvia out in 20 seconds but I'd much rather see a tight hard fought 3+ round back and forth battle.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't blame Zombie Nog for being the walking dead these days. Prime Nog absorbed some insane shit.

fedordropsnog.gif

fedornog.gif

+10 minutes of Mirko rampaging (including head kick and multiple liver kicks) and countless other wars. The man has unbelievable heart and durability. Saddening that his body hasn't been able to hold up, but he's had a hell of a run.

mujun

MrOctober said:
I didn't say that translates to anything else. Fedor has beat everyone put in front of him. Nobody else has done what he has so therefore he is the best. I'm not saying he can never ever be beaten, anyone can Matt Serra a GSP from time to time but until proven otherwise Fedor is the king. I'd love to hear how he's not though, instead of just attacking me personally.

And as I said he hasn't exactly had consistent competition.

Anyway we are going in circles, I already explained this.

EviLore said:
I don't blame Zombie Nog for being the walking dead these days. Prime Nog absorbed some insane shit.

Watching that highlight vid I was just thinking the same thing.

Fedor's G&P in the first Nog bout are among the hardest strikes I've ever see in a pro fight. You'd swear he was trying to go through the man's face. How he gets that amount of leverage with simple posture is beyond me.

Asbel

Big-E said:
Beating a old and shitty big Nog proves nothing. Nog is a shadow of his formal self and is not even close to being a good measure for Brock to see how he would do with Fedor. Fedor has no equal.
This is what a lot of people say and think especially since he just lost but that doesn't make it true. I'm talking about Nog's ground game here and that sweep and guillotine he pulled on Sylvia was a thing of beauty and only 2 matches ago. I see no reason to believe Fedor's guard is better than Nog's.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...fertitta-18516

Lorenzo Fertitta addresses the Fedor issue himself, without all the hyperbole of Dana White.
The UFC contract was never as bad as Fedor's management made him believe.

mujun said:
And as I said he hasn't exactly had consistent competition.

Anyway we are going in circles, I already explained this.
I find it funny you say this while championing lower weight classes and Torres whom has the padded record of any champion around. The talent in the banta and feather weight divisions in America is abysmal.

mujun

BamYouHaveAids said:
I find it funny you say this while championing lower weight classes and Torres whom has the padded record of any champion around. The talent in the banta and feather weight divisions in America is abysmal.

Did you read my posts?

I said that Fedor is definitely one of the people who would be considered p4p best in the world but that one thing that needs to be considered as a point against that is the calibre of his competition.

I am not saying that he shouldn't be.

If Torres was to be considered the above would apply to him, of course.

It wouldn't apply to GSP. But GSP has defeats on his record, etc.

Try reading my posts properly before you go putting words in my mouth and then you and I won't have to shit this thread up with this useless going in circles.

Ikuu said:
For one thing Fedor sees competing in Sambo as a source of national pride, UFC doesn't want let their fighters compete in anything other than the UFC. Not to mention they could drop him at anytime, for whatever reason, but if he were to be the champ he's basically stuck in his contract which would auto-renew.

GSP blog about UFC100, http://stpierre.yardbarker.com/blog/StPierre/UFC_100_Notable_Moments/808571, got so drunk he forgot his name :lol

mujun said:
He thought the way the UFC approached him was a little "disrespectful" iirc, something to do with Dana White's comments about how Russians do business (which was more about his management than Fedor himself). Add to that that they were demanding that he sign something like a 3 or 4 fight timed contract which wouldn't let him compete in the world sambo comps and basically the deal fell apart with both sides blaming the other.

On one hand I can see where Dana is coming from. He wants UFC fighters fighting only in his organization, it for one assures the quality of the matches to some degree as they can dictate the pace they fight at and the opponents they face.

On the other hand Fedor is one of the top fighters in the world and him fighting any UFC heavyweights would certainly draw big PPV numbers, he isn't in a position where he has to bow to anybody's demands and doesn't seem to give a shit about the prestige either at the end of the day.

I can completely understand where he is coming from what you guys are saying. I hope Dana can pull some strings and get a match with Lesnar going, but it seems to be about much more than the pay check with this one.

Asbel

I thought it was scary how Brock was able to knock out Mir on the ground with only arm punches. That's freaky strength. And since he doesn't have to move his hips or body to do it, he never gives you room to get out.

Zeliard

Asbel said:
I thought it was scary how Brock was able to knock out Mir on the ground with only arm punches. That's freaky strength. And since he doesn't have to move his hips or body to do it, he never gives you room to get out.

He made big ass Heath Herring flip back with a single straight punch. Brock is absurdly strong. His striking technique is basically elementary, but it doesn't even matter since his punches are so strong, lengthy and quick.

“I’m not going to say anything bad on Brock, because Brock is doing all the right things,” Lashley said. “[But] my sights are set on Brock. I’m not saying I want to fight him because he’s ‘the wrestling guy.’ I’m saying it because I am a heavyweight fighter and he’s the champ.”

Watching two NCAA-accredited animals butt heads is a perfectly fine premise for a UFC title bout, but Lashley has to be getting the vibe that his past may come back to haunt him. Dana White has been queried often about bringing Lashley in: The responses have been noncommittal at best, insulting (“Who?”) at worst. The idea that two former WWE headliners would be occupying the same real estate is perhaps too gratifying a concept for Vince McMahon -- and too horrifying for White -- to bear.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/unscripted-lashley-on-lesnar-18556

I don't really see why Dana would be bothered about Lashley being in the WWE at one point. If that were an issue with him then he wouldn't have let Brock in, especially considering Brock was one of the faces of the WWE at one point. I don't really see him passing up Lashley assuming Lashley can prove that he belongs in the UFC. As of now, he hasn't really done anything to show that he can fight there. He needs to avoid the Sapp type fights if he wants to catch Dana's attention.

Mogg0

Banned
Is Fedor unbeaten though? Wiki says he technically lost a fight? I know very little about MMA but I'm just going on what I'm reading. I've gotten the last three PPV's and have been thoroughly impressed with what I've seen.

Oh, and:
20090715.jpg

I lol'd. :lol

Zeliard

Mogg0 said:
Is Fedor unbeaten though? Wiki says he technically lost a fight? I know very little about MMA but I'm just going on what I'm reading.

Fedor is undefeated:

Zeliard said:
In MMA, Fedor is 30-1-1. That lone loss came from him being cut in the first 20 seconds of a fight by an *illegal* elbow. In any MMA organization worth their salt, that would have either been ruled a no contest or a disqualification win for Fedor.

Rings is dogshit, so he was actually given the loss, despite the fact that the elbow he was hit with was illegal. Fucking stupid, yes? Everyone agrees - Fedor is widely considered to be undefeated in MMA. He also then went on to destroy that same guy several fights later, to put a stamp on it. That no contest came from an accidental headbutt versus Nogueira, who he ravaged in two other fights.

Even if you absolutely want to count that ridiculous loss, he still hasn't lost a fight in over 8 years (26 straight wins).

Zeliard said:
He made big ass Heath Herring flip back with a single straight punch. Brock is absurdly strong. His striking technique is basically elementary, but it doesn't even matter since his punches are so strong, lengthy and quick.

Another factor that makes Brock's strikes scary is, as Randy Couture said after fighting him, his hands are so big it's almost impossible to dodge a punch.

Zeliard

Deadguy 2322 said:
Another factor that makes Brock's strikes scary is, as Randy Couture said after fighting him, his hands are so big it's almost impossible to dodge a punch.

True. Only guy who's hands come close is Shane Carwin, who actually wears bigger gloves than even Brock.

That's going to be a fun fight. Carwin will probably crush Cain, but I don't think he'll do much against Brock. Brock is basically a much quicker Shane Carwin, and even bigger as well.

Boogie

mujun said:
The fact they have more energy/better cardio and their hands aren't as heavy means that the lower weight division fights are often much better battles. Recently the most epic fights have been in lower weight divisions, Torres vs Mizugaki, Alvarez vs Hansen, etc.

Indeed. Why, you might even say that, pound for pound, lighter weight fighters are better and more skilled than heavyweights.

You still haven't told me how I was being ignorant, btw.

mujun

Boogie said:
Indeed. Why, you might even say that, pound for pound, lighter weight fighters are better and more skilled than heavyweights.

You still haven't told me how I was being ignorant, btw.

It was pretty clear wasn't it. You said that heavyweights are the kings of MMA and that those in the lighter weight divisions. Sounded like you said that just so you could back up your claim that Fedor is the king.

It's a sport and each divisions fighters should be judged on their merits within their division. If that is the case and I think it is then a fighter of any weight can be the "King of MMA" as you put it.

Big-E

Heavyweights always have a mystique attached to them because they are the biggest. It will always be this way. Any MMA fan would probably say the GSP versus Alves was the real main event of the evening but for a casual fan, a heavyweight matchup where you have a genetic freak fighting will always take top billing. Pound for pound rankings come in so we can compare other weight classes to one another and acknowledge skill. If Fedor didn't exist than I would be willing to hear arguments that other fighters from the lighter divisions should receive that merit but thankfully Fedor does exist.

Big-E

WrikaWrek said:
LHW is the best division to me. Machida "Ryu" the dragon can beat Brock!

I would argue that Light Heavy is the marquee division and the King of mma would come from here if there was no Fedor but Fedor is with us and is as constant as Pi.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Zeliard said:
Fedor is undefeated:

Even if you absolutely want to count that ridiculous loss, he still hasn't lost a fight in over 8 years (26 straight wins).

the fight took place in a tournament and they needed a winner to advance to the next round..fedor had the cut and rings had an incompetant medical staff hence the 'loss'

Daigoro

im not a big fan of Heavyweights in general, and i prefer watching the lighter weight guys fight. Miguel Torres is one of my all time favorite fighters for instance.

But Fedor is amazing to watch. he appears very non-heavy to me. he moves like a LHW. i love his demeanor before and after fights, love the way he throws people around and basically dominates everyone he faces. he is truly the most amazing fighter we've ever seen.

he isnt just the king of MMA. he is the Emperor.

and to weigh in in the post fight antics of some fighters, i have to say i much prefer the humble and respectful approach.

this is a real sport, with real atheletes who compete against each other in a very brutal fashion. there is no reason to act like a halfwit jock taunting your opponent after a win. leave the theatrics to the fucking WWE where they belong (im not just talking about Brock here).

Big-E

Daigoro said:
im not a big fan of Heavyweights in general, and i prefer watching the lighter weight guys fight. Miguel Torres is one of my all time favorite fighters for instance.

But Fedor is amazing to watch. he appears very non-heavy to me. he moves like a LHW. i love his demeanor before and after fights, love the way he throws people around and basically dominates everyone he faces. he is truly the most amazing fighter we've ever seen.

he isnt just the king of MMA. he is the Emperor.

and to weigh in in the post fight antics of some fighters, i have to say i much prefer the humble and respectful approach.

this is a real sport, with real atheletes who compete against each other in a very brutal fashion. there is no reason to act like a halfwit jock taunting your opponent after a win. leave the theatrics to the fucking WWE where they belong (im not just talking about Brock here).

I agree with your point about post fight antics but there is something that I like a bout what Brock and what Hendo did post fight. This was mentioned previously but it bears repeating again. Pre fight all we hear is how these some fighters hate their opponent and want to make them pay but after the fight they are all mushy mushy after. I hate that as it happens too often especially with the likes of BJ Penn.

On the subject of heavyweights vs. lightweights. Give it more time. As the kids who are coming up now are seeing that you can make a name for yourself and a ton of money (and this too will increase), more high level guys who might have tried football, basketball or baseball will gravitate over to MMA. Not some huge number, mind you, but the heavyweight talent pool is going to explode in the next 5-10 years, IMO. Because right now, you basically have unathletic slugs who couldn't hack it in other sports running around in the heavyweight divisions. We'll probably never get a LeBron James or LaDainian Tomlinson level specimen, but I think we might see a lot more of the mid and low level guys from the three majors coming over.

WrikaWrek

Banned
This is much more than a sport, these dudes are gladiators, when they get in that ring, they might get killed or get damaged for life.

So when they talk trash, i expect them to keep the attitude after the fight. I hate that "gimme a hug" shit.

mujun

Master Thespian said:
On the subject of heavyweights vs. lightweights. Give it more time. As the kids who are coming up now are seeing that you can make a name for yourself and a ton of money (and this too will increase), more high level guys who might have tried football, basketball or baseball will gravitate over to MMA. Not some huge number, mind you, but the heavyweight talent pool is going to explode in the next 5-10 years, IMO. Because right now, you basically have unathletic slugs who couldn't hack it in other sports running around in the heavyweight divisions. We'll probably never get a LeBron James or LaDainian Tomlinson level specimen, but I think we might see a lot more of the mid and low level guys from the three majors coming over.

I don't know that it will make much difference. Heavyweights tend to get KOed more easily, tire more easily and move slower so they are never going to offer as much chance of an intense 3 round back and forth battle as light weights for example.

I still love watching heavys though, there is much more spectacle and it's nice to see a good KO. They also hit really hard which is a beautiful thing.

Boogie

mujun said:
Because to me it sounds ignorant to say that only a heavyweight is eligible to be the "King of MMA" because fighters from lower weight classes couldn't beat a heavyweight.

What makes it ignorant?

Which part of saying that heavyweights would beat lightweights is "ignorant"?

mujun

Boogie said:
What makes it ignorant?

Nothing, that is not the point I called you ignorant over and you know that. Stop wasting my time.

Boogie

h4k said:
Thiago Alves was GSP's toughest opponent so far so it did take UFC 100 for us to know this.

Not really sure about that, per se. Fitch and Kos both had the potential to be tough tests for GSP. It's hard to really say what the WW rankings are after GSP. What is clear is that NONE of them can hold a candle to him.

Boogie said:
What makes it ignorant?

anything and everything can happen in this sport

Hendo took Big Nog to decision (albeit split) as well as Gilbert Yvel. And the man is a natural 185 fighter.

Boogie

mujun said:
Nothing, that is not the point I called you ignorant over and you know that. Stop wasting my time.

Ignorant:
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

For me to continue to pretend to take you seriously, please tell me how I am "ignorant" in regards to MMA.

GekigangerV said:
anything and everything can happen in this sport

Hendo took Big Nog to decision (albeit split) as well as Gilbert Yvel. And the man is a natural 185 fighter.

Quite true. Praise of Fedor has always had an element of hyperbole to it (ie. that he's not human, a Terminator, a secret Soviet experiment, etc.)

Nonetheless, he has been unbeatable up to this point, and is the King of MMA, if such a title can be given any rational definition. There is nothing "ignorant" about saying that.

WrikaWrek said:
This is much more than a sport, these dudes are gladiators, when they get in that ring, they might get killed or get damaged for life.

So when they talk trash, i expect them to keep the attitude after the fight. I hate that "gimme a hug" shit.

Actually, you couldnt be more incorrect. This IS a sport. These are not gladiators, they are athletes, fighters, and no one has ever been killed in MMA.

These are fighters who are doing something they love and in most cases, hoping that it will help them put food on the table for their families. Every one of them knows that the guy staring them down in the ring is just doing the same thing.

it's called respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom