• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

what GSP over Anderson? No way I'll take Anderson all day the guy has crazy elbows and knees and is very accurte. I think both have about the same reach tho. I'm not saying GSP is a bad fighter by any means I just like what I've see from Anderson a little more.

Sviatoslav said:
They faced each other 3 times though, the second one being a no contest. Fedor won the other two times.
i saw that at sherdog and just came back to edit my post, i totally forgot about that other fight

Mumei

Jack Random said:
first was a no contest, probably shouldn't be on that list.

No, Fedor won the first match, second was no contest (accidental headbutt), and Fedor won the third.

ETA: already covered i see

Big-E

Zeke said:
what GSP over Anderson? No way I'll take Anderson all day the guy has crazy elbows and knees and is very accurte. I think both have about the same reach tho. I'm not saying GSP is a bad fighter by any means I just like what I've see from Anderson a little more.

GSP has fought way better competition which is why GSP should be higher in the Pound for Pound rankings. It also doesn't help that Anderson's last fights were two stinkers while GSP completely decimated his competition in that time.

Slizz

the best part of this sport is everything. it is so subjective, p4p was the worst thing ever invented in a 1v1 sport with multiple weight classes, insuring everyones opinion is the right one.

Zeliard

The debate will end once Fedor murders Barnett in a couple weeks. There will be no argument at all against Fedor for #1 p4p then.

InnerFu

Neo Member
Jesus Christ, my browser just received a lethal dose of TooManyFuckingGSPGifs on that last page.

Anyways.....I really dislike the p4p rankings, but if I had to choose someone to reign supreme as the best p4p fighter it would probably be Fedor. Continually beating people whom he has very little to no physical advantage is what really impresses me. Now that the new fad seems to be trying to find someone who can whoop Brock's ass you're really starting to see Fedor get a lot of attention (or at least more than he was before IMO.)

Slizz

Mr. Sam said:
Yeah... OK.
yeah ok what? thats an honest post, i love this sport, i like everything about it outside of p4p rankings. meaning, knockouts, submissions, gnp, boring fights that are only boring because of 2 different styles being evenly matched.

EDIT: and oh yea late hits only being deemed dangerous because it just so happened to fall on the super bowl of UFC fights.

Asbel

I get the feeling that people think Fedor's most impressive wins are Hong Man Choi and Zulu do to their size advantage. Everyone in the p4p list could beat no talent opponents much heavier than them. Kimbo has admitted he'd lose to Penn. Hell, Royce proved this back in the heyday.

Beating opponents who are merely bigger shouldn't separate Fedor from the other p4p contenders.

Henderson-Franklin II to Headline UFC 103
Good fight but Franklin could win, then what would Hendo do next?

Slizz

Asbel said:
I get the feeling that people think Fedor's most impressive wins are Hong Man Choi and Zulu do to their size advantage. Everyone in the p4p list could beat no talent opponents much heavier than them. Kimbo has admitted he'd lose to Penn. Hell, Royce proved this back in the heyday.

Beating opponents who are merely bigger shouldn't separate Fedor from the other p4p contenders.

Good fight but Franklin could win, then what would Hendo do next?

fight another up and comer similar to bisping?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dem said:

lame. after killing bisping and winning already over franklin, he deserves another shot at anderson.

Bisping wants some more Hendo

"I am going to kick someone's backside in Manchester in front of my hometown crowd then fight again as soon as possible and then rematch with Henderson," Bisping told the newspaper. "That wasn't the best of me in the ring in Vegas (at UFC 100), and I want another crack at him.

"I want a top fighter in Manchester. I want to get back up there straight away. That's what I have told the UFC."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15568/mic...t-ufc-105-eyes-rematch-with-dan-henderson.mma

Patrick Cote has said that he wants a shot at Bisping, so that seems like a pretty good choice for UFC 105.

Boogie

Zeliard said:
The debate will end once Fedor murders Barnett in a couple weeks. There will be no argument at all against Fedor for #1 p4p then.

I love Fedor, but Barnett does nothing for his p4p standing, imo.

Ripenen

Zeliard said:

I don't know much about Barnett, but why would this be the victory to cement Fedor as the number one pound for pound fighter? I'm not saying he is or isn't, I'm just curious why a match with Barnett is the deciding factor.

yacobod

Banned
fedor beating barnett will increase fedor's unbeaten streak by another fight, will give him 3 wins over former ufc champs in a row, and will end his commitment to affliction

hopefully at that time, team fedor & the ufc can reach some kind of agreement to bring him to the octagon, once fedor beats brock, dana white will always refer to fedor as p4p king and goat

Ripenen said:
I don't know much about Barnett, but why would this be the victory to cement Fedor as the number one pound for pound fighter? I'm not saying he is or isn't, I'm just curious why a match with Barnett is the deciding factor.
He's the #2 ranked heavyweight on most sites, having only lost to Cro Cop, Noguiera, and Rizzo (which he avenged).

Rur0ni

dem said:
I know Hendo isn't happy about that. And I thought Franklin was making the jump to 205.

Needs to crush Franklin for Wandy, and then drop Anderson on his head.

Daigoro

i agree with the folks who are saying that Hendo has a shot a beating Silva. i was really pulling for him in that first fight, and thought that he definitly had it in him.

Asbel said:
I get the feeling that people think Fedor's most impressive wins are Hong Man Choi and Zulu do to their size advantage.

what? :lol

Zeliard

Ripenen said:

Boogie said:
I love Fedor, but Barnett does nothing for his p4p standing, imo.

Of course it does. It effectively destroys the #1 (silly) reason people have always used to keep Fedor from the #1 p4p spot - his "lack of competition".

Barnett is widely considered the #2 heavyweight in the world right now, after Fedor. After Fedor spanks him from one side of the ring to the next, that "lack of competition" excuse will evaporate along with Barnett's consciousness. There won't be anything to say against Fedor anymore.

Big-E

Zeliard said:
Of course it does. It effectively destroys the #1 (silly) reason people have always used to keep Fedor from the #1 p4p spot - his "lack of competition".

Barnett is widely considered the #2 heavyweight in the world right now, after Fedor. After Fedor spanks him from one side of the ring to the next, that "lack of competition" excuse will evaporate along with Barnett's consciousness. There won't be anything to say against Fedor anymore.

People who say Fedor has fought nobody's isn't a fan of mma and will not even know who Barnett is. They will only care if he fought Brock or Mir because that is what they know. Fedor beating Barnett does nothing.

Zeliard

Big-E said:
People who say Fedor has fought nobody's isn't a fan of mma and will not even know who Barnett is. They will only care if he fought Brock or Mir because that is what they know. Fedor beating Barnett does nothing.

The people who are saying that are sites like Sherdog. I guarantee you that Fedor will be #1 p4p on Sherdog after August 1st, when he's been #3 forever now.

The people saying that aren't complete newbies, which is why it's amusing. They're fairly reputable sites who continually attempt to rationalize that Fedor isn't #1, and that shit ain't gonna fly anymore after the August match. They've essentially been searching for reasons to keep Fedor from the top spot, and they're quickly running out of them, especially with Anderson Silva looking so sorry his past two fights while Fedor keeps making it look quick and easy.

charsace

Big-E said:
GSP has fought way better competition which is why GSP should be higher in the Pound for Pound rankings. It also doesn't help that Anderson's last fights were two stinkers while GSP completely decimated his competition in that time.
Hendo is better than anyone GSP has fought. Matter of fact Hendo would smash GSP.

Big-E

charsace said:
Hendo is better than anyone GSP has fought. Matter of fact Hendo would smash GSP.

Hendo is one man and does not make someones record that amazing. I like Hendo but Anderson Silva beating Hendo is not at all equivalent to GSP's career.

Boogie

Zeliard said:

Ya, but I think Barnett being ranked at #2 is a travesty. He ain't done shit to deserve that ranking.

charsace said:

Naw, I think GSP is a bad matchup for Hendo, except for the size advantage. If GSP had 8 months to properly bulk up, I give GSP the nod in this fight.

For example, if I dare bring up the spectre of the dreaded MMAth, 3 years ago Hendo lost a decision to Kazuo Misaki. Then 8 months later Trigg dominates Misaki.

Hendo's not exactly a world-beater. GSP's quick enough to avoid the big right hand, and if he does that, he wins the fight, imo.

Zeliard said:
They've essentially been searching for reasons to keep Fedor from the top spot, and they're quickly running out of them, especially with Anderson Silva looking so sorry his past two fights
Sorry? He completely dominated in both of them.
Boogie said:
Ya, but I think Barnett being ranked at #2 is a travesty. He ain't done shit to deserve that ranking.
The guys below him in the rankings aren't all that impressive either. I mean Brett Rogers is on there and he's fought exactly one decent fighter.

And I don't dispute that Fedor could be #1 P4P but there just hasn't been anyone for him to fight since Pride folded so it's hard to tell - Coleman, Hunt, Lindland, Choi, Sylvia, and Arlovski certainly haven't fared too well in recent years.

yacobod

Banned
well hendo and gsp will never face off, but if the fight were to take place i dont know how gsp would take henderson down, wrestling edge would go to henderson, i guess he could out point him in the standup, but you would have to think that henderson would have a huge power advantage

while gsp has awesome takedowns, im going to side with the olympic caliber grecco roman wrestler

------
on the topic of p4p, the only guy who i think could be put over fedor is gsp, the guys hit list is the definitive who's who of the welterweight division over the past 5 years, its very impressive

given anderson silva's last 2 lackluster performances, and the overall weak middleweight division, there is no way i'd put him over gsp or fedor

put it this way, anderson walks around at 220 lbs before cutting to 185 for fights, i think he would get destroyed if he ever stepped in the ring or octagon versus fedor (who weighs & fights at 230), no way he should be ranked above fedor

Zeliard

BigKaboom2 said:
Sorry? He completely dominated in both of them.

In the least impressive fashion imaginable. Dancing around and wasting time for half of the entire match isn't really a good showing. Fedor both dominates and doesn't tread any water whatsoever. Same thing with GSP (in most cases).

There's no fighter I enjoy watching more when he's actually trying than Anderson Silva. When he isn't, he's just as boring as anyone else.

charsace

People really think GSP can beat Hendo? I think Hendo would grind ou a win on the ground or GnP TKO. GSP is just too small and Henderson is the better Wrestler.

Boogie

yacobod said:
well hendo and gsp will never face off, but if the fight were to take place i dont know how gsp would take henderson down, wrestling edge would go to henderson, i guess he could out point him in the standup, but you would have to think that henderson would have a huge power advantage

Henderson has been taken down by inferior wrestlers in the past.

Hell, I think Murilo Rua got Hendo down. Can't remember.

I would not be shocked to see GSP get some takedowns if this fight ever happened.

Well if were talking fight math then GSP lost to serra lol. You'd say with a straight face gsp could outwrestle Brock or beat fedor if he trained

the man crush is in full effect

Zeliard said:
In the least impressive fashion imaginable. Dancing around and wasting time for half of the entire match isn't really a good showing. Fedor both dominates and doesn't tread any water whatsoever. Same thing with GSP (in most cases).

There's no fighter I enjoy watching more when he's actually trying than Anderson Silva. When he isn't, he's just as boring as anyone else.
The Cote fight wasn't bad, and the Leites fight was slow just because Anderson wanted to stand and Leites wanted to take it to the ground and neither one would let the other dictate the fight. Sure you could blame either one of them but neither one did anything explicitly foolish. Plus Anderson took virtually no damage while constantly trying to dislocate Leites's knee for some reason :lol .

I'm sure he can do well on the ground but he knows that if he keeps it standing he has the best chance to win. P4P doesn't necessarily have to be "most exciting" or "most willing to exhibit his versatility."

Big-E

BigKaboom2 said:
The Cote fight wasn't bad, and the Leites fight was slow just because Anderson wanted to stand and Leites wanted to take it to the ground and neither one would let the other dictate the fight. Sure you could blame either one of them but neither one did anything explicitly foolish. Plus Anderson took virtually no damage while constantly trying to dislocate Leites's knee for some reason :lol .

I'm sure he can do well on the ground but he knows that if he keeps it standing he has the best chance to win. P4P doesn't necessarily have to be "most exciting" or "most willing to exhibit his versatility."

No but Pound for Pound means the best all things considered and there is no logical way you can classify Anderson ahead of Fedor and GSP given how they have finished their most recent fights and have stronger records than Anderson.

Big-E said:
No but Pound for Pound means the best all things considered and there is no logical way you can classify Anderson ahead of Fedor and GSP given how they have finished their most recent fights and have stronger records than Anderson.
Anderson hasn't lost since since 2004 if you don't count the DQ against Okami. And GSP hasn't finished any top (true) welterweights that he faced when they were in their prime (Koscheck, Fitch, Alves, Parisyan - you could count the Hughes fights I guess but he hasn't been the same since then). I don't really care about decisions vs. KOs/subs anyway - they're all perfectly legitimate ways to win. As for Fedor, like I said before none of his last several opponents are doing very well these days so those wins in retrospect aren't all that impressive. I look forward to seeing him get some better competition but I can't justify calling him #1 P4P for beating those guys.

Big-E

BigKaboom2 said:
He doesn't have a real loss since 2004. GSP hasn't finished any top (true) welterweights that were in their prime (Koscheck, Fitch, Alves, Parisyan - you could count the Hughes fights I guess but he hasn't been the same since then). I don't really care about decisions vs. KOs/subs anyway - they're all perfectly legitimate ways to win. As for Fedor, like I said before none of his last several opponents are doing very well these days so those wins in retrospect aren't all that impressive. I look forward to seeing him get some better competition but I can't justify calling him #1 P4P for beating those guys.

Who has Anderson fought? Hedo was not in his prime by any means and his biggest wins are Marquardt and Rich Franklin. GSP has destroyed Hughes twice and has beaten Penn twice and has avenged all of his losses. Lets look at their last 4 fights, GSP absolutely dominates Alves, Penn, Fitch and Sera while Anderson looks mediocre against Cote and Leites and his only notable win is Hendo.

Zeliard

BigKaboom2 said:

The biggest reason most people were disappointed in Anderson Silva isn't because he wasn't exciting - it's because everyone could see that Silva could have finished those matches fairly quickly but decided to keep stalling. He even admitted after the Leites fight that he wanted to prove he could go 5 rounds. I'm not sure why he feels he would need to prove such a thing.

Cote lost to Leben, for Christ's sake. Look at what Anderson Silva did to Leben.

agrajag

Banned
Zeliard said:

Does UFC have any kind of incentive for action-packed fights? I remember reading that Pride had bonuses for winning fights via knock-outs, which is why Pride fights were so brutal.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
agrajag said:
Does UFC have any kind of incentive for action-packed fights? I remember reading that Pride had bonuses for winning fights via knock-outs, which is why Pride fights were so brutal.

Yes. There's pretty substantial bonuses for Fight of the Night, Submission of the Night, and KO of the Night. What there isn't is any form of penalization for fighters doing nothing, a la the Pride card system.

Zeliard

SnakeXs said:
Yes. There's pretty substantial bonuses for Fight of the Night, Submission of the Night, and KO of the Night. What there isn't is any form of penalization for fighters doing nothing, a la the Pride card system.

Yep.

That has led to issues though, ala Sherk always trying to stand up in fights because he badly wants either Fight of the Night or Knockout of the Night. The guy has the shortest arms on the planet. He doesn't need to be standing up with anyone, especially not guys like BJ Penn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom