• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yacobod said:
and when fedor destroys barnett in a few weeks, he will be past his prime too i guess

It could be argued that after you fight Fedor, your "prime" is over? =P I kid.

People can say what they will about what Brock did, but UFC is leading off another sports show on ESPN (Around the Horn). It's pretty damn impressive.

SolidSnakex said:
I only heard Skip Bayless suggest that. And it's Skip, so you shouldn't expect anything less.

Really embarrasing they don't fire that guy. Not for this but for the regular littany of dumb shit that falls out of his mouth.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
TrAcEr_x90 said:
my god, whoever the hell is trying to argue Fedor *the destoryer of worlds* skills, doesn't know shit.

That is hard to say. Were Silvia and Arlovski proved to be done as fighters because Fedor made them look so bad, or because they were done before that? With BIG TIMMAH, probably, and he showed up looking like a beached white whale. Arlovski, probably not, but everyone knows he has no chin. Looking at his 5 previous opponents after that, everyone knew they didn't stand a chance. Not because Fedor is just that good, but because they were bad.

Fedor is great, but in the UFC, he is really the size of a light-heavyweight, and Brock could just suffocate him for 5 rounds.

Zeliard

SolidSnakex said:
I only heard Skip Bayless suggest that. And it's Skip, so you shouldn't expect anything less.

Skip Bayless, holy shit. :lol

Don't think there's a single sportswriter on the planet that is so frequently and consistently uninformed. The guy makes himself look like an idiot with every opinion he sputters out in any sport he is discussing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GoutPatrol said:
That is hard to say. Were Silvia and Arlovski proved to be done as fighters because Fedor made them look so bad, or because they were done before that? With BIG TIMMAH, probably, and he showed up looking like a beached white whale. Arlovski, probably not, but everyone knows he has no chin. Looking at his 5 previous opponents after that, everyone knew they didn't stand a chance. Not because Fedor is just that good, but because they were bad.

Fedor is great, but in the UFC, he is really the size of a light-heavyweight, and Brock could just suffocate him for 5 rounds.

You should watch Fedor's career. There really isn't a debate here, in a fight Fedor would beat Brock.

Rorschach

Stoney Mason said:
Really embarrasing they don't fire that guy. Not for this but for the regular littany of dumb shit that falls out of his mouth.
He gets you guys to bite on his bait. Of course they're not gonna fire him. They love him and even made him a music video. >:| You guys just need to ignore him. Who watches First Take, anyway?

Zeliard

GoutPatrol said:

Hong Man Choi is enormous, weighs quite a bit more than Brock even, and basically laid on top of Fedor for most of their fight. Didn't really matter.

Obviously, Brock is superior to Hong Man Choi physically and skill-wise, but Fedor's high-level Judo and Sambo has allowed him to basically have his way with larger opponents (which is almost everyone he faces). Brock might beat Fedor, but he wouldn't "suffocate him for 5 rounds". He'd have a very difficult time with the win. How often do guys even get Fedor on his back? It's happened, but it's not very frequent.

Personally, I'd put my money on Fedor. Brock was submitted before, and other than Big Nog, Fedor is the King Master Fuck of heavyweight submission artists.

Zeliard said:
Skip Bayless, holy shit. :lol

Don't think there's a single sportswriter on the planet that is so frequently and consistently uninformed. The guy makes himself look like an idiot with every opinion he sputters out in any sport he is discussing.

His entire argument really made no sense. He basically said that because Brock said that shit afterwards that it called into question it's credibility because it was similar to wrestling. Since when has shit talk been a wrestling only thing? It's especially amusing since the general negative attacks on the UFC today have come from people who like to point out that they're boxing fans. The same sport where the most praised boxer (Ali) was the biggest shit talker of all. He even character assassinated Joe Frazier, which is far worse than anything Brock said. But they seemingly forget that part of boxing.

Zeliard

SolidSnakex said:
His entire argument really made no sense. He basically said that because Brock said that shit afterwards that it called into question it's credibility because it was similar to wrestling. Since when has shit talk been a wrestling only thing? It's especially amusing since the general negative attacks on the UFC today have come from people who like to point out that they're boxing fans. The same sport where the most praised boxer (Ali) was the biggest shit talker of all. He even character assassinated Joe Frazier, which is far worse than anything Brock said. But they seemingly forget that part of boxing.

But he didn't actually say that MMA/UFC was fake because of Brock's actions after the fight, did he? Even Bayless can't be that stupid.

Zeliard

Wow. :lol

Did he not look at Frank Mir's face? ESPN is pretty shitty, but it's still sad that they'd hire a professional troll and keep him for this long.

1zgvqkm.jpg

GoutPatrol said:

Like fedor has never fought someone bigger than Brock? Might have been more of a freak match, but he beat Choi. Fedors ability shines when he capitilizes on opponents weaknesses. He will figure Brock out.

X26

Banned
Well after Brock's fight and Machida's last fight, one things for sure: UFC's fans are the biggest bandwagon fans immaginable

Zeliard

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Like fedor has never fought someone bigger than Brock? Might have been more of a freak match, but he beat Choi. Fedors ability shines when he capitilizes on opponents weaknesses. He will figure Brock out.

I think people are also underestimating Fedor's strength when it comes to a fight vs Brock. Fedor's a relatively small heavyweight, but everyone who's fought him who discusses the fight afterwards says that he hits like his hands are made of bricks, and that he is extremely strong when grappling. This is also very noticeable just by watching him fight, particularly his ridiculous punching strength.

Plus, Fedor's grappling is heavily based in Judo, which is all about taking a larger opponent and flipping them on their head by using their own size and momentum against them.

Zeliard said:
I think people are also underestimating Fedor's strength when it comes to a fight vs Brock. Fedor's a relatively small heavyweight, but everyone who's fought him who discusses the fight afterwards says that he hits like his hands are made of bricks, and that he is extremely strong when grappling. This is also very noticeable just by watching him fight, particularly his ridiculous punching strength.

Plus, Fedor's grappling is heavily based in Judo, which is all about taking a larger opponent and flipping them on their head by using their own size and momentum against them.

Sambo is where its at!!

dont get me wrong, i think brock is a freak of nature, just a natural athlete. Ive never seen somone explode when they need to like brock. I feel he has been lucky though to finish his fights or lose within two rounds. Can he go the distance with that much muscle packed on? If Fedor chose more of a in and out approach to wear him down a few rounds, he could have his way with brock in the 4th and 5th. Just how i see it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone know how far in advance the UFC usually sells tickets, seems UFC 105 is in Manchester, quite tempted to head down.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I just watched some UFC matches... its the most violent sport i ever saw @____@
And i dont think its staged.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fersis said:

It's no worse than boxing, or kickboxing.

And you don't think it's staged because it's not.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
dont get me wrong, i think brock is a freak of nature, just a natural athlete. Ive never seen somone explode when they need to like brock. I feel he has been lucky though to finish his fights or lose within two rounds. Can he go the distance with that much muscle packed on? If Fedor chose more of a in and out approach to wear him down a few rounds, he could have his way with brock in the 4th and 5th. Just how i see it.
He went the full 3 rounds with Herring and was fine.

Zeke

Fersis said:
eh watch some Pride fights I always found those a little more brutal than UFC

Fersis said:
Oh and im watching some Fedor stuff in youtube, wow the guy is not only godlike good but he can also absorb some sick punches.
Fedor will destroy Brock and make him look small, but if the match ever happens, I'm pulling for Brock just for the resulting Internet drama bomb if he wins.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Fedor will destroy Brock and make him look small, but if the match ever happens, I'm pulling for Brock just for the resulting Internet drama bomb if he wins.
Oh yeah, the would be like when Final Fantasy XIII went to 360 :D

Zeliard

Fersis said:
mhmhm I was talking about some twitter that was quoted, the guys said it was staged.
http://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/2616259035

Oh and im watching some Fedor stuff in youtube, wow the guy is not only godlike good but he can also absorb some sick punches.

Check out Fedor's fight vs Mirko Crocop. At the time, Mirko was a serious badass and considered the best striker in the world, and he still wanted nothing to do with Fedor in the stand-up for most of the fight (strikes are any sort of kicks, punches, elbows, knees, etc). Mirko was, and I guess still is, mostly known for his crazy left high kick.

Fedor vs Mirko

MrOctober

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

You can count on me to ragesplode everywhere.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So fedor is the same age as brock (at worst a year older.)

This is great news, because the only fear I had about fedor was that he was passed his prime, and was just still good enough to beat everyone.

Figured he was pushing 40, so I am all for a fedor vs brock now. Would hate to see a fight where age was a factor, but since it isn't I can feel proud when brock completely breaks him.

I would be rooting for brock, but my money would be on fedor :p

Zeliard

The reaction if Brock beat Fedor would be ridiculous. People would be really pissed off just due to the massive difference in class and personality between the two. A lot of people at this point want Fedor to come to the UFC just to shut Brock up.

Having said that, I really just want to watch that fight. I think Fedor would win and I would certainly root for him, but I don't think it would be some huge shocker if Brock does manage to beat him, though it would be upsetting to a lot of people.

It would be fun to watch. Brock winning wouldn't even be THAT big of a deal, though. It would just prove two things:

1. Brock really isn't just some big joke who's gotten completely lucky.
2. Sometimes the most technically skilled competitor doesn't always win.

Neither should really be in doubt, though.

Zeke

If Fedor would beat Lesnar who would be able to pose a threat to Fedor? Carwin, Velasquez, Mir? Or would Dana try and bring in Arlovski for a shot?

mujun

Fedor is amazing, so is Torres, GSP, Silva, etc.

Thing is nobody is invincible and some people in this thread seem like they are forgetting that. If Fedor fought ten times in UFC someone would take it to the decision, come close to beating him, show up a weakness or even perhaps take him down.

Zeliard

Steve Youngblood said:
It would be fun to watch. Brock winning wouldn't even be THAT big of a deal, though. It would just prove two things:

1. Brock really isn't just some big joke who's gotten completely lucky.
2. Sometimes the most technically skilled competitor doesn't always win.

Neither should really be in doubt, though.

Didn't the Frank Mir fight basically prove the 2nd?

I think it needs a caveat, though. Not every guy is as large, powerful and quick as Brock (in fact, nobody in MMA is), so he's going to end up beating a lot of strong technical fighters mostly due to the differences in those areas. I don't think it necessarily proves that the most technically skilled competitors don't always win, but rather that the most technically skilled competitors don't always win vs Brock Lesnar.

Fersis

mujun said:
Fedor is amazing, so is Torres, GSP, Silva, etc.

Thing is nobody is invincible and some people in this thread seem like they are forgetting that. If Fedor fought ten times in UFC someone would take it to the decision, come close to beating him, show up a weakness or even perhaps take him down.
Of course man, the guy can be the best and can lose.
Check Daigo for instance.
</GAMING>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom