• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Wii Games of 2008 Thread

Tiktaalik

Damn I was going to all come in here and be like, "well this will be a short thread lol am i rite? " but you've put a lot of work into this and there are some actual games here.

Edit:

Has Animal Crossing actually 100% been announced? I don't even recall a Nintendo employee hinting at it.

I'll be slammed for this I'm sure but the only good new games on this list are SSMB, No More Heroes and Samba de Amigo. Mario Kart could be good, but I haven't enjoyed too many of them recently (damn blue shells...).

RJT

Don't forget Pro Evolution Soccer Wii. It is Q1 in Europe, I think, and the IGN video was amazing. Definitely one to watch.

Tiktaalik

Do we know anything about what sort of Wii features Bully will have? Improved loading times? Framerate? Graphics? Waggle?

If it's mostly a straight port it may be more worth just picking up the PS2 version. I noticed that it just hit greatest hits so it should be $19 everywhere.

E-phonk

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Has Animal Crossing actually 100% been announced? I don't even recall a Nintendo employee hinting at it.
There are screenshots of tom nook messaging you in the Wii manual - and it was shown as an example of using connect24 when the first info about it was released

edit: also from the wikipedia entry

In a 2006 interview, Katsuya Eguchi – leader of Animal Crossing's production development – said, "someone could send a letter from their cellphone or from an email address on a PC to the Wii, and then the player living in the town in Animal Crossing could receive that letter."[4] In another interview with IGN, Katsuya Eguchi also discussed how his team continues exploring potential ways to take advantage of the WiiConnect24 feature such as allowing friends to visit your town or leave messages while the machine is in standby mode.[5] The latest information from Nintendo suggests they are taking an MMO approach to the game.

The MMO rumor was 2 pages in EDGE magazine, and they wouldn't do such a story about it unless they were very sure about it. I'd have to read it again, but it was something about part being "standard" Animal Crossing single-player, and the online part being a persistent MMO-like world.

Lobster

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Do we know anything about what sort of Wii features Bully will have? Improved loading times? Framerate? Graphics? Waggle?

If it's mostly a straight port it may be more worth just picking up the PS2 version. I noticed that it just hit greatest hits so it should be $19 everywhere.

Im guessing since its going to 360 aswell the graphics will be upgraded. The main thing for Wii will probably just be 480p and 16:9 with some improved textures and lighting.

LizardKing said:
january and feb are the two best consecutive months for the wii for game releases since it released imo.

I'd say best 2 months in its lifetime, holy shit. Guess I won't cancel gamefly after all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tristam said:
A few announcements doesn't necessarily translate into a few 2008 releases (in fact it most probably wouldn't).

Somehow I highly doubt Nintendo's 2008 lineup consists entirely of Endless Ocean, Brawl, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Mario Kart, and Wii Chess. Even adding Animal Crossing, and Disaster to that list would result in a pretty pathetic release schedule.

Especially considering that they had 13 releases in 2007 (14 counting Mario and Sonic which was published by SEGA here but Nintendo in Japan AFAIK), and that's before having bought Monolith Soft. Even the GameCube got more releases than that (9 in 2003, which would be the parallel year to 2008 for the Wii), and Nintendo is so disappointed in their first-party thoroughput for the Cube that they actually specifically apologized.

Plus, I think you'll find that year 3 / full year 2 probably has more first-party releases for any console than year 2 / full year 1.

CoolS said:
So many games sent to die against Smash.

AND WHY IS THERE STILL NI EU DATE FOR WII FIT? arghhhh
Well seeing that we don't even have a SSBB date for EU I pretty much didn't expect otherwise. Also be prepared for software shortages on any hit software :lol .

List of games supposedly coming out in 2008 (? indicating confusion as to release of said game/bold indicating notable game):

Active Life: Athletic World
Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None
Alan Hansen’s Sports Challenge (?)
Alone in the Dark 5
Animal Crossing
Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
Art of Fighting Anthology
Baja Destruction
Baja Mania
Balloon Pop
Baroque
Blast Works: Build, Fuse & Destroy
Bomberman Land Wii
Boom Blox
Brave
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Cabela's Monster Bass
California Games
Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars
Castle of Shikigami III
Chegger's Party Quiz (?)
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Chocobo's Dungeon (?)
Cocoto Magic Circus
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends
Crash Dummy Vs The Evil D-Troit
Crazy Climber sequal
Critter Crunch
Crossword
Crow
CSI: Hard Evidence
Deadline
Deal or No Deal
Sports Island
The Destiny of Zorro
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
Dick Tracy
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Don King Presents: Prizefighter
Doraemon
Draglade
Dragonology
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Dream Pinball
Earache: Extreme Metal Racing
Endless Ocean
Eternity's Child
Family Jockey
Family Ski
Fatal Frame IV
Ferrari Challenge
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Furlong (?)
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Furu Furu Park
The Game of Life
Garfield Gets Real
George of the Jungle
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue
Go West: A Lucky Luke Adventure
Hamster Heroes
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Europe)
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Heavenly Guardian
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
Igor
Iron Man
JAWA The Mammoth and the Mysterious Stone
Jumper
Kawasaki Jet Ski
Kawasaki Snow Mobiles
Kidz Sports Basketball
Kidz Sports Ice Hockey
Kidz Sports International Soccer
King of Clubs
The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
King Story
Kirby
Kitty Luv
Kung Fu Magoo
The Last Ninja
Leaderboard Golf
Lego Batman: The Video Game
Line Rider
London Taxi: Rushour
LUXOR 3
LUXOR: Pharaoh's Challenge
Major Dream
Major League Baseball 2K8
Mario Kart Wii
Martial Arts: Capoeira
Miburi & Teburi (?)
Mind Games
MiniCopter: Adventure Flight
Mobile Suit Gundam MS Sensen 0079 (?)
The Monkey King: The Legend Begins
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Lab
Mushroom Men
MX vs ATV Untamed
My Horse and Me
Myth Makers: Orbs of Doom
Myth Makers Super Kart GP
A New Beginning
Ninja Reflex
Nitro Bike
No More Heroes
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (at least in Japan)
Obscure: The Aftermath
Octomania
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
Onechanbara R
Okami
Opoona
Osouji Sentai Clean Keeper
PDC World Championship Darts 2008
Pimp My Ride
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
Real Heroes: Firefighter
Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk
The Rose Princess
Runaway 2
Rygar: The Battle of Argus
Samba de Amigo
Samurai Showdown Anthology
Scoot
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Superstars Tennis
Samurai Warriors Katana
Secret Files Tunguska
Shiren The Wanderer 3
Shoot Out
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Simple Wii series
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Speed Racer: The Game
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Starblaze: Ultimate Battle
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Super Mario Stadium Baseball
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sword of Legendia
Symphonic Orchestra
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
TNA iMPACT!
Tokyo Xtreme Racer DRIFT 2
Toot & Puddle: Call Of The North
Top Spin Tennis
Totally Spies!
Trixie in Toyland
Turn IT Around!!
Venus Redemption
We Love Golf!
Wii Chess
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Wild Earth: African Safari
Wild Petz Tigerz
Winning Eleven 2008
The Wizard of Oz
Wizardology
Wonderland Amusement Park
Wordsnake
Worms: A Space Oddity
Yamaha Supercross
Zombie Massacre

There will be some i shouldn't have put down, and also some i missed, but that's what I could find.

E-phonk said:
The MMO rumor was 2 pages in EDGE magazine, and they wouldn't do such a story about it unless they were very sure about it. I'd have to read it again, but it was something about part being "standard" Animal Crossing single-player, and the online part being a persistent MMO-like world.

That would be incredible. There'd be a travel center in the MMO world (the city) that'd let you visit any of the towns currently open, either as someone else is playing or has their Wii in standby. I can just imagine each disc spawning 6 NPC citizens that themselves go off in the world, traveling and moving between Wiis. I think this would be the ultimate form of digital crack.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ethelred said:
Definitely some swanky logos there. Maybe have those link to Youtube trailers of the different games?

Thanks, and trailers are now attached to JAN and FEB where available (all but one I think?).

Proven

This topic is awesome. Very, very awesome.

And yes, since last year I've noticed that Nintendo has been holding back announcements for games until one or two quarters before their release dates. The positive of this is that it allows people to concentrate on the now, and not get over hyped and burnt out on the games before they released. It's like someone said with FFXIII. The game is probably not going to come out until 2009, and Square Enix realized that they announced it too early and are holding back media because of it.

I know I don't like waiting, and many others share my sentiments. This method takes advantage of the fact that ignorance is bliss.

The current quarter ends this month, so expect even more release dates (if we don't have a comprehensive enough list) to appear in the next three weeks or so giving out everything Nintendo has planned to come out up to at least the end of March.

OnPoint

Seriously dynamite thread, though. I hope this catches on like the "Post your system collection" threads and someone will do similar threads for the other systems.

Bogus

Lovely thread design. Thanks for putting in the effort, Panther.

February is looking like a smashing good month for Wii owners. :D

Ranger X

Awesome thread. But i'm not all that impressed by the lineup. When you're not a fan of Smash Bros and Mario Kart what's left for ya?

Endless Ocean (high interest)
No More Heroes (good interest -- will play my courtesy copy mwahahaha)
Civilisation Revolution (will watch for other console's version before buying)

I seriously hope i will like Dragon Quest sword and King Story better be awesome. Especially since we have a Pikmin-less console here.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kobun Heat said:
Wii Fit is still not coming out in January no matter how long you leave that logo there.

*fine* ;)

Note:
I wouldn't take any list that has release dates past March with any seriousness at all. There is little doubt that some things are being held back. Anybody think I may have left out a significant or relevant title for the next three months? I would put up that soccer game (PES?) but it doesn't have Mario in it so it won't sell here in the states. Please note that anything past March/Q1 is really conjecture on the part of various websites.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Tim-E: HoD2&3R moved up to march. thnx

immy said:
360 version of this thread someone, please!

I can do it later tonight if nobody else wants to. It would have to be known that I have considerably less invested in a thread like that though, as I do not own one...

Linkup

PantherLotus said:
I would put up that soccer game (PES?) but it doesn't have Mario in it so it won't sell here in the states.

I don't think anyone wants games left out of the post because it likely won't sell.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Linkup said:
I don't think anyone wants games left out of the post because it likely won't sell.

I think what I was trying to get at is that it has little appeal to the relevant audience. If I am wrong, I would happily add it in.

jarrod

Banned
Lotsa dungeon crawls and ARPGs lined up for next year... exciting!

My definite list right now is...

-Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen & the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix/Genius Sonority/8ing)
-Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
-No More Heroes (Ubisoft/Grasshopper Manufacture)
-Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (tba/Vanillaware)
-Okami (Capcom/RAD Studios)
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo/Sora)
-The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (SEGA)

...and maybes (at least keeping an eye on)...

-Baroque (Atlus/Sting)
-Castle of Shikigami III (Aksys Games/Alfa System)
-Chocobo and the Labyrinth of Time (Square Enix)
-Devil Kings 2 (Capcom)
-Dr. Mario & Bacteria Extermination (Nintendo)
-Endless Ocean (Nintendo/Arika)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Little Prince and the Promised Kingdom (Square Enix)
-Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (BNGI/tri-Crescendo)
-JAWA: The Mammoth and the Mysterious Stone (tba/Spike)
-Kiki Kai World (UFO/Star*Fish)
-Monster Hunter 3-tri (Capcom)
-Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3 (SEGA/Chunsoft)
-Opoona (Koei/Arte Piazza)
-Rygar: The Battle of Argus (Tecmo)
-Samba de Amigo (SEGA/Gearbox)
-Samurai Showdown Anthology (SNK Playmore)
-Sega Superstars Tennis (SEGA/Sumo Digital)
-Star Soldier R (Hudson)
-Tales of Symphonia: Kight of Ratatosk (BNGI/Tales Studio)
-The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga (SNK Playmore)
-The Monkey King: The Legend Begins (UFO/Star*fish)
-We Love Golf! (Capcom/Camelot Software Planning)
-Wii Fit (Nintendo)

...and hoping/praying for...

-Final Fantasy Cryctal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
-Kirby Roll-a-Rama (Nintendo)
-Mega Man: Scramble Battle (Capcom)
-Mr. Driller WiiWare (BNGI)
-NiGHTS into Dreams (SEGA)
-PSY-PHI (SEGA)
-The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords WiiWare (Nintendo)
-Virtua Cop 3 (SEGA)

MidiSurf

Banned

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CSI and Victorious Boxers are already out in the US.

jarrod said:
-Dr. Mario & Bacteria Extermination (Nintendo)

Dr. Mario & Virus Buster is the correct name as of right now. Bacteria Extermination is probably a direct translation, but we already know that Nintendo's preferred localization is Virus Buster.

ivysaur12

Banned
Great job Panther.

That's a lot of quality Wii games coming out in such a small time. Great... with the 360 February as well, this is going to suck for my wallet.

EDIT: Hey, doesn't Opoona come out sometime early next year?

Amir0x

Banned
Getting Endless Ocean and Castle Shikigami III. *scans* Oh and Samba De Amigo. That's all. Guess I'm getting Smash, but just for the Mother fanservice parts.

Tim-E

Cyan said:
Nothing else matters.

Wait, this comes out in MARCH? Seriously? How did I not know that?

It's not going to be any good, is it? :(

It's March/Q1. That's when the game is expected to come out but I don't think there's any solid date on it yet. I wish there was :(

Civil

I hope Smash lives up to the insane amount of hype and lead-up. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything on Mariokart Wii for months.

I just hope they both end up as AAA titles.

[Nintex]

Semantic Continuum said:
Europe am cry ;_;
I thought this as well, at least we have Battalion Wars 2, Zack & Wiki, Fire Emblem, No More Heroes, Nights, Ghost Squad, Super Star Tennis and a couple of other games to keep us busy untill Smash Bros. hits.

That is one packed February. Geez, and I have barely touched most of my holiday buys too. Brawl, No More Heroes, Bully, and possibly Baroque and Dragon Quest make it the best month for the Wii yet. Well, except last November...

Nice job on the thread. Looks very nice.

Civil said:
I hope Smash lives up to the insane amount of hype and lead-up. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything on Mariokart Wii for months.

I just hope they both end up as AAA titles.
We can already tell that it will live up to its hype just by looking at the daily updates. We already know what to expect, there's nothing bad hidden about this game. The only things that are hidden are things that will add to the game, which Sakurai doesn't want to show yet.

Top Bottom